• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Wait, where was this mentioned? Not that I doubt you, but a source is needed.
It was in one of his Famitsu column, give me a sec and I will find it.

Edit: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

"Nintendo had first approached me with a request: “We want you to reveal that Joker’s in development at The Game Awards 2018.” The timing wasn’t bad at all, it really was what made the flower that was Ultimate’s release bloom. Of course, I hadn’t even started on development at that point, so there wasn’t any gameplay we could show off.

To that end, I thought that we could reveal him through an animated cutscene.

After seeing The Game Awards’ venue, I thought about how I could make the reveal interesting. I’d eventually reach the idea that Joker would infiltrate the venue and steal its “treasure” – an invitation to Smash.

I’m familiar with P5, so writing dialogue that suited the character wasn’t much of an issue. Scheduling with Joker’s voice actor – who’s quite popular – was a different story. We had fun recording the lines, though; the atmosphere in the recording studio was pretty cheerful. We only ended up with a few lines of dialogue, though… What a waste…

I’m not sure about whether or not we’ll do reveal movies for the other DLC fighters, but I’d like to do what I can (within the realm of possibility) to make sure you all enjoy them."

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
It helps that no other version has it besides the 3DS one (which was unfairly skipped over in the West), so that oughta help boost sales for it on the Switch.
so this game has been made for 4 different systems? Dang, they're trying to get this game to as many people as possible.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice

Edit: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

"Nintendo had first approached me with a request: “We want you to reveal that Joker’s in development at The Game Awards 2018.” The timing wasn’t bad at all, it really was what made the flower that was Ultimate’s release bloom. Of course, I hadn’t even started on development at that point, so there wasn’t any gameplay we could show off.

After seeing The Game Awards’ venue, I thought about how I could make the reveal interesting. I’d eventually reach the idea that Joker would infiltrate the venue and steal its “treasure” – an invitation to Smash.

I’m familiar with P5, so writing dialogue that suited the character wasn’t much of an issue. Scheduling with Joker’s voice actor – who’s quite popular – was a different story. We had fun recording the lines, though; the atmosphere in the recording studio was pretty cheerful. We only ended up with a few lines of dialogue, though… What a waste…

I’m not sure about whether or not we’ll do reveal movies for the other DLC fighters, but I’d like to do what I can (within the realm of possibility) to make sure you all enjoy them."
Feels kind of bad for recording so many lines for Joker and only using a few. I feel if a company is willing to work with Sakurai, they'll help him make a cinematic trailer. IS help by giving Sakurai the rights to use Fates scene between the 2 houses. I wonder if Monlith would be interested in making a cinematic for Smash?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's not really a solid confirmation but uncertainty, so it's still up in the air whether any of the other characters will get one (probably not first-parties, anyway). Though I will say that abruptly dumping a character model during E3 would feel a bit...anticlimactic.

Feels kind of bad for recording so many lines for Joker and only using a few. I feel if a company is willing to work with Sakurai, they'll help him make a cinematic trailer. IS help by giving Sakurai the rights to use Fates scene between the 2 houses. I wonder if Monlith would be interested in making a cinematic for Smash?
I've been theorizing that for any characters that come next, there could be trailers done by the devs of the character's series, especially if SE is supposedly involved at all for a character that most people assume is coming. Doesn't even need to be in 3D, it could be stop-motion or paper dolls for all I care. :p

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
It's not really a solid confirmation but uncertainty, so it's still up in the air whether any of the other characters will get one (probably not first-parties, anyway). Though I will say that abruptly dumping a character model during E3 would feel a bit...anticlimactic.

I've been theorizing that for any characters that come next, there could be trailers done by the devs of the character's series, especially if SE is supposedly involved at all for a character that most people assume is coming. Doesn't even need to be in 3D, it could be stop-motion or paper dolls for all I care. :p
They really should put some time and effort into a trailer, it's kind of a big deal to get your character into smash, you should put some effort into it. Stop motion and paper dolls would be awesome to see, I wonder how that'd works out.

As for PC I kind of say it's a console, but you can disagree with me.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Of course they wouldn't just drop a model, but that part that says "within the real of possibilities" makes me say thet they will just do creative gameplay trailers like how they did with For's DLC. For example Lucas' trailer had Ness being beaten up by several fighters until Mother 3's protagonist saved him, Ryu had a recreation of the Street Fighter II intro done using his in game model, Cloud started out with the intro of FFVII and Corrin just used a cutscene ripped from the main game. I can see these sort of trailers happening, but fully animated original trailers like with Joker or the base game newcomers? 99.9% not going to happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of course they wouldn't just drop a model, but that part that says "within the real of possibilities" makes me say thet they will just do creative gameplay trailers like how they did with For's DLC. For example Lucas' trailer had Ness being beaten up by several fighters until Mother 3's protagonist saved him, Ryu had a recreation of the Street Fighter II intro done using his in game model, Cloud started out with the intro of FFVII and Corrin just used a cutscene ripped from the main game. I can see these sort of trailers happening, but fully animated original trailers like with Joker or the base game newcomers? 99.9% not going to happen.
So, it's basically 4 2.0. Will they keep saving money for further DLC beyond the pass by not giving big trailers to anyone new? Should be easy to do, seeing the crazy sales this game already has.

Also, going back to what HPMarratick HPMarratick had said earlier…

And Geno fans think he's actually gonna get into Smash, I honestly feels sorry for them, if they could just accept their caracter isn't getting in.
Yeah, at this point I'm honestly becoming concerned about their mental welfare. Not picking him wouldn't be the biggest mistake in the world, really. That would be SE not bothering to give Nintendo any suggestions for any of their other characters.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
So, it's basically 4 2.0. Will they keep saving money for further DLC beyond the pass by not giving big trailers to anyone new? Should be easy to do, seeing the crazy sales this game already has.

Also, going back to what HPMarratick HPMarratick had said earlier…

Yeah, at this point I'm honestly becoming concerned about their mental welfare. Not picking him wouldn't be the biggest mistake in the world, really. That would be SE not bothering to give Nintendo any suggestions for any of their other characters.
It's their own fault for not seeing the writing on the wall. Geno is already a 4 star spirit, a player icon, and will probably be a mii fighter costume again. 1st of all the only 2 spirits from SE are Geno and Mallow, if they only put a majorly wanted character as a spirit that's a bad sign. 2nd SE is a business, a businesses main goal is to make money, a geno mii fighter skin will do fine, but Edrick would get more people hyped for DQ11, especially if they do a cross promo with smash.he still gets more content than more characters that are more relevant than him like Elma.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm actually pretty stoked for DQ11. I've played a bit of DQ5 and the Switch trailer made me really into it. A cute traditional RPG that's apparently just awesome, and has Toriyama art - much to love if you ask me. Plus Erdrick is an awesome retro choice and DQ has so much legacy so I can't complain.

Of course, my dream Squeenix pick is 2B, but there's a reason she's a pipe dream.

I think if I had to pick a varied and exciting five for DLC for me, discounting hard disconfirmed characters like Travis, it'd be Joker, 2B, Style Savvy Rep, Phoenix Wright, and Elma. But yknow, that is probably gonna change in five minutes because I'm indecisive.

My dream top five first party reps are Style Savvy, Elma, Captain Toad, Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, and Ryota Hayami. But god there are so many fantastic characters I'd love to see repped. It's part of why I love Spirits.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know travis was hard deconfirmed, that sucks. 2B would be interesting but I cant stand Nier A, plus SE and Platnum already have reps. I just want Sakurai to come out and say if we can expect a character in the spirit roster to become a main fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, we don't know if Erdrick is in the game at all. For all we know SE may have decided to be a butt and just allow to sell the Mii costumes from last time, and nothing else.

Anyway, it would be nice to know if Elma/Rex won't suffer a FE/Pokémon situation and get completely skipped over by the next Smash for timing reasons.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Again, we don't know if Erdrick is in the game at all. For all we know SE may have decided to be a butt and just allow to sell the Mii costumes from last time, and nothing else.

Anyway, it would be nice to know if Elma/Rex won't suffer a FE/Pokémon situation and get completely skipped over by the next Smash for timing reasons.
To be honest it makes sense to have a character from DQ to market the game. If they dont do it itll be surprising but I kind of would expect it.
Rex will get in Smash 6, I'm 100% certain of it. Elma could get skipped but I hope not. Unless XCX2 doesnt take place on Mira and they just leave XCX fans hanging with the hundreds of plot holes it has.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
TBH that is my biggest fear. Elma probably would be fine if she is in X2, making her sort of the face of the other half of the series, but as a Rex fan I fear for him. If he isn't heavely part of XC3 then I doubt he will join. Being immensely popular didn't help Lyn or Zoroark when they passed their prime.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
The more time that passes, the less likely I think it is for Elma (or any Xenoblade X content besides spirits) to get in Smash Ultimate. Datamines and rumors suggest we're getting a Square Enix character (Erdrick) and a Microsoft character (Steve or Banjo Kazooie?). On top of that, I'll be surprised if we don't get a Capcom character (Monster Hunter, Leon Kennedy, Dante) or Bandai Namco character (Lloyd, Heihachi). If not all the remaining characters are 3rd party, then I think Elma has a legitimate chance...but I don't know. I'm just disappointed/confused there is no Xenoblade X music at all in Smash. Maybe the team simply preferred the music in XC1/XC2 and didn't feel like adding any from X. :( It's frustrating for it to be vastly underappreciated/overlooked compared to the other two (which is why I'm currently sad about the lack of X content in Smash), although I am very hopeful this will change soon with a port/sequel. The 3rd party characters I mentioned are pretty much who I'm expecting at this point, and of those I only really care about Monster Hunter, Dante and Lloyd.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If not all the remaining characters are 3rd party, then I think Elma has a legitimate chance...
So out of the Nintendo characters that would have a shot if anybody, who do you think would have the best chances? I would think Elma and Dixie because of there being no XBX or barely any Tropical Freeze music. Also I think Porky and Sylux since they don't have spirits and they are major antagonists in their franchises or at least Porky is at the moment. :evil:

Being immensely popular didn't help Lyn or Zoroark when they passed their prime.
It didn't help Krystal either since the Brawl days was when she was relevant and at the height of her popularity.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The more time that passes, the less likely I think it is for Elma (or any Xenoblade X content besides spirits) to get in Smash Ultimate. Datamines and rumors suggest we're getting a Square Enix character (Erdrick) and a Microsoft character (Steve or Banjo Kazooie?). On top of that, I'll be surprised if we don't get a Capcom character (Monster Hunter, Leon Kennedy, Dante) or Bandai Namco character (Lloyd, Heihachi). If not all the remaining characters are 3rd party, then I think Elma has a legitimate chance...but I don't know. I'm just disappointed/confused there is no Xenoblade X music at all in Smash. Maybe the team simply preferred the music in XC1/XC2 and didn't feel like adding any from X. :( It's frustrating for it to be vastly underappreciated/overlooked compared to the other two (which is why I'm currently sad about the lack of X content in Smash), although I am very hopeful this will change soon with a port/sequel. The 3rd party characters I mentioned are pretty much who I'm expecting at this point, and of those I only really care about Monster Hunter, Dante and Lloyd.
This kind of defeatist talk really is just inappropriate at the current time. Out of five DLC fighters, we know about one for certain. As of right now, all we have for anyone beyond that are nothing more than rumors, since the datamines offer absolutely no concrete information. And remember how well the last major rumors turned out? Because I sure remember how we definitely got noteworthy SE character Erdrick announced at the Game Awards.

TBH that is my biggest fear. Elma probably would be fine if she is in X2, making her sort of the face of the other half of the series, but as a Rex fan I fear for him. If he isn't heavely part of XC3 then I doubt he will join. Being immensely popular didn't help Lyn or Zoroark when they passed their prime.
I think there could be better examples than Lyn and Zoroark. The former's popularity has only really taken off to noteworthy levels in recent years, as far as I can tell. Zoroark meanwhile has just been divisive ever since it has been revealed, and during Smash 4 speculation, all eyes were on X and Y.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So out of the Nintendo characters that would have a shot if anybody, who do you think would have the best chances? I would think Elma and Dixie because of there being no XBX or barely any Tropical Freeze music. Also I think Porky and Sylux since they don't have spirits and they are major antagonists in their franchises or at least Porky is at the moment. :evil:

It didn't help Krystal either since the Brawl days was when she was relevant and at the height of her popularity.
Poochy, given that he's unambiguously become Yoshi's co-star, and the Yoshi games are now stronger than ever even during the rough Wii U period.

I think that Krystal is a different case entirely, since Star Fox's cast is small and doesn't always gets new fighters in Smash. Pokémon and Fire Emblem, meanwhile, are so huge that they have at least one flavor of the month picked for each Smash entry, and they're usually promotional characters anyway. And that's IF the seasonal generation/game in question isn't skipped over.

This kind of defeatist talk really is just inappropriate at the current time. Out of five DLC fighters, we know about one for certain as of right now. As of right now, all we have for anyone beyond that are nothing more than rumors, since the datamines offer absolutely no concrete information. And remember how well the last major rumors turned out? Because I sure remember how we definitely got notewrothy SE character Erdrick announced at the Game Awards.
Adding to that, nothing says we won't get any more DLC after the fighter pass until further notice. If we do know, it'll be around February next year, so until then I'd keep cautious optimism.

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
So out of the Nintendo characters that would have a shot if anybody, who do you think would have the best chances?
Probably Elma and Bandanna Dee, or maybe an oddball character like Professor E. Gadd or Poochy. Dixie is popular for sure though I think she's less likely because she'd be pretty similar to Diddy and we just got a new DK character. Porky might have a decent chance. I don't know about Sylux, that'd be a third Metroid newcomer who is far less important at the moment than the other two.

This kind of defeatist talk really is just inappropriate at the current time. Out of five DLC fighters, we know about one for certain. As of right now, all we have for anyone beyond that are nothing more than rumors, since the datamines offer absolutely no concrete information. And remember how well the last major rumors turned out? Because I sure remember how we definitely got noteworthy SE character Erdrick announced at the Game Awards.
Sorry, but I can't help feeling that at least 4/5 of the characters in the Fighter Pass are going to be 3rd party. I've seen more (seemingly real) hints towards Erdrick and a Microsoft character than for Elma. I think aside from no XCX music being in the game, the biggest potential hint is the dialogue in the XC2 DLC (and it's questionable whether or not those conversations had anything to do with Smash). I didn't mean to say anything inappropriate; I'm just trying to speculate and give my predictions. I would love for the Erdrick/Microsoft character leaks to be wrong because I personally don't want one of those characters, but after enough leaks with some sort of validity align (like for Incineroar), it's hard for me to ignore them. I'm not giving up on Elma's chances; I still think if 1 Nintendo character is left to be announced, it makes sense for it to be her. But I don't know how likely that is...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sorry, but I can't help feeling that at least 4/5 of the characters in the Fighter Pass are going to be 3rd party. I've seen more (seemingly real) hints towards Erdrick and a Microsoft character than for Elma. I think aside from no XCX music being in the game, the biggest potential hint is the dialogue in the XC2 DLC (and it's questionable whether or not those conversations had anything to do with Smash). I didn't mean to say anything inappropriate; I'm just trying to speculate and give my predictions. I would love for the Erdrick/Microsoft character leaks to be wrong because I personally don't want one of those characters, but after enough leaks with some sort of validity align (like for Incineroar), it's hard for me to ignore them. I'm not giving up on Elma's chances; I still think if 1 Nintendo character is left to be announced, it makes sense for it to be her. But I don't know how likely that is...
Where did you get the stuff from Microsoft?

There has barely been anything Smash related when it comes to Microsoft other than rumors.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think that Krystal is a different case entirely, since Star Fox's cast is small and doesn't always gets new fighters in Smash. Pokémon and Fire Emblem, meanwhile, are so huge that they have at least one flavor of the month picked for each Smash entry, and they're usually promotional characters anyway. And that's IF the seasonal generation/game in question isn't skipped over.
Somebody asked Sakurai in a interview why Wolf got in over Krystal in Brawl and he said he was realizable and that Krystal would be like creating a new character from scratch, which wasn't realistically possible due to the limited time they had. He also said for why Krystal wasn't in the roster would be like asking why Waddle Dee, Dry Bones, or Baby Peach isn't which would have no end. I call that Sakurai bias for him comparing Krystal to Waddle Dee (aka not Bandana Dee), Dry Bones and Baby Peach which, I don't like that opinion at all.

Here is the link to Source Gaming's translated version of that interview: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering that we have a Piranha Plant these days, it's obvious that he can change his mind for even things like that, as long as a character possibility is there and if the series in question hasn't burned bridges with people. Also, on the Dixie thread, somebody dreamt about Baby Donkey Kong being added, recently...

Unfortunately, Zero burned said bridges. No idea how much Star Fox 2 will help, seeing as it's tied to the SNES Mini until further notice.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What are the hints towards Erdrick and a Microsoft character, then? As far as I know, the only thing really pointing towards Erdrick is "Brave" potentially referring to him, while the only thing pointing towards a Microsoft character would be good relations between them and Nintendo. Hardly decisive evidence.
As for Elma, you're also forgetting that the X spirits are very likely to be last-minute additions. Seriously, not one of them was in World of Light, and Elma's "role" as a reward for unlocking 50 characters there could've been taken by any three-star spirit.

Between Nintendo picking the DLC, Mother being a done franchise, and Metroid Prime 4 being restarted from scratch, I'm really not seeing either Porky or Sylux being DLC. Also doesn't help that Mother already has way more than enough stages (Onett, Fourside, New Pork City, Magicant) for a series consisting of only three games.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Between Nintendo picking the DLC, Mother being a done franchise, and Metroid Prime 4 being restarted from scratch, I'm really not seeing either Porky or Sylux being DLC. Also doesn't help that Mother already has way more than enough stages (Onett, Fourside, New Pork City, Magicant) for a series consisting of only three games.
The only way I see Porky happening is if Mother 3 get's released and translated in the west this year or if there is a 3D Mother trilogy remake coming out this year so Porky could promote it. It's not entirely likely but it's the year of the pig, Mother's 30th anniversary is coming up this year, and Porky doesn't have a spirit so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The only way I see Porky happening is if Mother 3 get's released and translated in the west this year or if there is a 3D Mother trilogy remake coming out this year so Porky could promote it. It's not entirely likely but it's the year of the pig, Mother's 30th anniversary is coming up this year, and Porky doesn't have a spirit so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
In all honesty, I've never understood why people thought that because it's the year of the pig we're getting mother 3. I understand that his name is Porky, but it just feels like grasping at straws. I can just imagine doing his special fight against porky for his spirit since it's 30th anniversary.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
"Not entirely likely" is understanding it a bit, I feel. Considering how little acknowledgement Nintendo has given the Earthbound series outside of Smash, them giving a grand-scale revival/celebration seems like a huge stretch. The only anniversaries that Nintendo ever really celebrated were Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokémon. Anything beyond that, like Donkey Kong and Metroid, isn't even acknowledged at all.

In all honesty, I've never understood why people thought that because it's the year of the pig we're getting mother 3. I understand that his name is Porky, but it just feels like grasping at straws. I can just imagine doing his special fight against porky for his spirit since it's 30th anniversary.
To be fair here, in Mother 3 Porky does lead the Pig Army.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
What are the hints towards Erdrick and a Microsoft character, then? As far as I know, the only thing really pointing towards Erdrick is "Brave" potentially referring to him, while the only thing pointing towards a Microsoft character would be good relations between them and Nintendo. Hardly decisive evidence.
As for Elma, you're also forgetting that the X spirits are very likely to be last-minute additions. Seriously, not one of them was in World of Light, and Elma's "role" as a reward for unlocking 50 characters there could've been taken by any three-star spirit.
I don't think the X spirits were last-minute additions. I think maybe they were originally in WoL, but after Sakurai fell in love with XC2, he replaced the XCX spirits with the main cast of that game.

In the update with Piranha Plant, two characters other than it (Mii Sword Fighter, Duck Hunt) began to cause saves to be corrupted. People think this is because they are being used as the base for the next two characters (like how ZSS was used for Bayo). That fits pretty well with Erdrick/Banjo Kazooie. The general director of the Kirby series working at HAL tweeted "The brave's shield" (in English) with a picture of Kirby next to Erdrick's shield. A leaker IndieGamerChick (who may not be very trustworthy but has gotten a number of things right before) strongly hinted that Banjo would be coming to Smash in the DLC. And Vergeben said for a long time a Square Enix character and "Minecraft content." Even if it isn't specifically Erdrick and Banjo Kazooie, rumors of a Square rep and Microsoft rep are pretty much beyond Incineroar levels. It seems very likely to me based on what I've heard, though it's still not what I'd prefer. Elma CAN still surprise everyone and show up despite practically no rumors about her, kinda like how Joker did (I really hope she does!), but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don't think the X spirits were last-minute additions. I think maybe they were originally in WoL, but after Sakurai fell in love with XC2, he replaced the XCX spirits with the main cast of that game.

In the update with Piranha Plant, two characters other than it (Mii Sword Fighter, Duck Hunt) began to cause saves to be corrupted. People think this is because they are being used as the base for the next two characters (like how ZSS was used for Bayo). That fits pretty well with Erdrick/Banjo Kazooie. The general director of the Kirby series working at HAL tweeted "The brave's shield" (in English) with a picture of Kirby next to Erdrick's shield. A leaker IndieGamerChick (who may not be very trustworthy but has gotten a number of things right before) strongly hinted that Banjo would be coming to Smash in the DLC. And Vergeben said for a long time a Square Enix character and "Minecraft content." Even if it isn't specifically Erdrick and Banjo Kazooie, rumors of a Square rep and Microsoft rep are pretty much beyond Incineroar levels. It seems very likely to me based on what I've heard, though it's still not what I'd prefer. Elma CAN still surprise everyone and show up despite practically no rumors about her, kinda like Joker did (I really hope she does!), but we'll have to wait and see.
The director of HAL doesn’t work on Smash. He most likely doesn’t know who the DLC characters are.

IndieGamerChick has apparently been reported to have false information by some people here. And Vergeben’s claim on Minecraft is the only one aside from xenother to be shared, and some have reported to disagree with Verg on this one apparently.

Erdrick is the only one that even is on Incineroar levels, but the Microsoft rep definitely isn’t, with only a couple of rumors and speculation behind how Microsoft and Nintendo are more cooperative lately. But just being cooperative doesn’t automatically mean a company is getting a fighter in.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I love when people thinks when a company gets friendly with Nintendo they think a character from that company is getting into smash bros. "Heard rumors of nintendo helping to fund Deltarune?" Sans is getting into smash!!!! "Nintendo and Microsoft putting their differences aside to make a quick buck?" Were gonna get a Microsoft rep!!!!!!! Serously people need to stop looking at Nintendo and overanalyzing every action they make.

ZelDan

Smash Master
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I don't believe it at all. I don't Nintendo would be like "oh geez, it's year of the Pig, GUESS WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING WITH PORKY!"

That's not to say that maybe we won't get something Porky/Mother related at some point this year, but if we do I doubt it would necessarily be because of year of the Pig.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I don't believe it at all. I don't Nintendo would be like "oh geez, it's year of the Pig, GUESS WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING WITH PORKY!"

That's not to say that maybe we won't get something Porky/Mother related at some point this year, but if we do I doubt it would necessarily be because of year of the Pig.
The reddit for earthbound tries to bring this up all the time. I love EB but sometimes their fans can be pretty desperate for an official M3.

On an unrelated note can we all just agree that the only thing that deconfirms a character getting into smash is mii fighter costumes you pay money for? I think that might be the best thing to say right now, until we see an Elma skin (should of been in base game if we weren't gonna get her) or a XCX port gets announced.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Concerning the xenoX spirits, if I remember correctly, tatsu is in WoL. In the sub section with the quizz.
And i think that lyn and loa but don't remember where.

The save corruption is most likely due to fake samsumg micro sd card, but may be it's the sum of fake sd and character use to base dlc around but nothing pointing to it.

As for Elma, you're also forgetting that the X spirits are very likely to be last-minute additions.
Do we have any evidence here, other than we think so ? Like the spirit database with index order or anything like that ?

Honestly still thing dlc will be 3rd parties fest unfortunately (dq character, steve, ryu hayabusa, a namco character hoping for a tales one)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Concerning the xenoX spirits, if I remember correctly, tatsu is in WoL. In the sub section with the quizz.

The save corruption is most likely due to fake samsumg micro sd card, but may be it's the sum of fake sd and character use to base dlc around but nothing pointing to it.

Do we have any evidence here, other than we think so ? Like the spirit database with index order or anything like that ?

Honestly still thing dlc will be 3rd parties fest unfortunately (dq character, steve, ryu hayabusa, a namco character hoping for a tales one)
I've recently did New Game + on WoL, and no XCX spirits were in it (the one on the quiz area was Tora).
The save data corruption could be caused by anything. But I don't recall ZSS and Ike causing the game to crash despite them being used as bases for some DLC. (Also Plant causes the same problem, but I doubt a DLC wilk be based on it), so the claim that they are using Duck Hunt for Banjo is baseless speculation (also when they base a character out of another it's because of stats and animationsa, not just looking similar, and Banjo would surely be heavier and move completely different from the dog.

The evidence for the XCX spirits being last minute addition is that, in the code referring to the titles from whoch the various Spirits are taken, XCX is not listed despite having 5 Spirits. Note that XCX is the only omitted title as far as I know and on that list even Hey! Pikmin is present for the single Spririt it has in Smash, and that it still features the name of three games that have no Spirits in the game (Devil's Third and two Rare N64 games I don't remember right now), so XCX being excluded is very strange.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
How would that even make any sense? World of Light has a massive amount of Spirit battles, meaning that there would've been way more than enough room to have Spirits from both X and 2. Not to mention that the way Mythra is placed in WoL, as the final light Spirit guarding Palutena, makes it pretty clear that she was placed rather delibaretly there. As for the other points, RandomAce RandomAce already covers those pretty well.

Nope, that was Tora. Lin and Lao are also nowhere to be found. Trust me, I'd definitely remember if they were there.

What Nonno Umby Nonno Umby said. X is not there in the internal listing.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
I'll believe you. I don't want to play WoL anymore ^^
It was fun the first time but that's all.

Concerning the spirits, it's either last minute addition or they don't care.
So wait and see.

I really hope something happen soon, because speculation is kind of dead since the realease.
If only they can show us the complete fighter pass, even capcom didi it fo seaon 2 or 3 of SF V

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If only they can show us the complete fighter pass, even capcom didi it fo seaon 2 or 3 of SF V
I think they didn't reveal all the fighters from the get go because they want to sell as many Fighter Pass bliendly as possible. Remember that it was Nintendk who decided to reveal Joker at the Game Awards, and I feel it was a brillant marketing move in order to induce as many people as possible to think that all the fighters will be surprising TP picks, then give then their owned characters so that they don't have to share the revenue.

Besides that let's not forget that in Smash For 4 out of 7 characters were owned by Nintendo, including one newcomer, so it's very unlikely that they will go full TP this time, especially after having already negotiated several TP series (Metal Gear, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Persona, probably Dragon Quest, Bomberman, Virtua Fighter, Monster Hunter, Shovel Knight, Rayman and Shantae). Nintendo wants to get some money too.

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
How would that even make any sense? World of Light has a massive amount of Spirit battles, meaning that there would've been way more than enough room to have Spirits from both X and 2. Not to mention that the way Mythra is placed in WoL, as the final light Spirit guarding Palutena, makes it pretty clear that she was placed rather delibaretly there.
I was thinking that they put together the rough map and where each spirit would be in 2016-2017, and after the release of XC2, swapped some spirits out and rearranged the positions. Or maybe the developers just thought too few people would care about the XCX cast being in WoL (aside from Elma) compared to other characters? The Skell is obviously not there because you can only get it via summoning. I'm not sure why they would have Elma be an achievement reward instead of being in WoL. If they don't plan on adding Elma as DLC, I don't think it makes sense that they wouldn't add XCX spirits at the same time as all the others. So I guess, they don't care or that does boost her chances.

Besides that let's not forget that in Smash For 4 out of 7 characters were owned by Nintendo, including one newcomer, so it's very unlikely that they will go full TP this time
I don't know about this. I think we would've gotten more 3rd parties in Smash For's DLC if not for bringing back cut veterans. It's kinda gotten to the point where all the most important Nintendo characters are already in Smash so now people want more important characters from other developers. If putting Steve in the game will cause 2-3 million more people to want to buy it, that is making Nintendo money, probably more than putting in a character they own who most people playing Smash have never heard of like Elma. Hopefully Sakurai/Nintendo will consider adding Elma despite her being relatively obscure for advertising purposes. Maybe the DLC won't be ALL 3rd parties, but I still kinda think 4/5 will be.

IndieGamerChick has apparently been reported to have false information by some people here. And Vergeben’s claim on Minecraft is the only one aside from xenother to be shared, and some have reported to disagree with Verg on this one apparently.

Erdrick is the only one that even is on Incineroar levels, but the Microsoft rep definitely isn’t, with only a couple of rumors and speculation behind how Microsoft and Nintendo are more cooperative lately. But just being cooperative doesn’t automatically mean a company is getting a fighter in.
Alright, I can see a Microsoft character not happening. It still seems likely to me, just not as much.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't know about this. I think we would've gotten more 3rd parties in Smash For's DLC if not for bringing back cut veterans. It's kinda gotten to the point where all the most important Nintendo characters are already in Smash so now people want more important characters from other developers. If putting Steve in the game will cause 2-3 million more people to want to buy it, that is making Nintendo money, probably more than putting in a character they own who most people playing Smash have never heard of like Elma. Hopefully Sakurai/Nintendo will consider adding Elma despite her being relatively obscure for advertising purposes. Maybe the DLC won't be ALL 3rd parties, but I still kinda think 4/5 will be.
We don't really have any base to say whenever or not they would have gone with more TP if it wasn't for the veteran. Planned from the start only Ryu and Cloud were going to get in, with Bayonetta being added due to the Ballot. Also let's not forget that they added Corrin, a litteral character nobody in the West knew at that time, so going with lesser Nintendo characters isn't unprecedented.
Also this time we have a whole Pass rather than selling the fighters singularly, so having big names as the first announced, namely Joker and probably Erdrik, would lead to people buying the Pass expecting more amazing TP but may receive lesser known Nintendo owned characters.
What really makes me doubt that most characters will be TP, besides the obvious founds already spent in licensing several TP series already on Smash, is that Nintendo picked the characters this time, not Sakurai, so they probably be relevant for Nintendo in some way. For example a port of Persona 5 is heavely rumored, and that being one of the biggest japanese games in recent years (it was nominated for Game of the Year at the VGA 2016). Same goes for Dragon Quest XI, which is being pubblished by Nintendo in the West alongside Builders 2, so promoting the series in Smash to its western audience would also gave them several gains in return.
But by looking at how full Nintendo's line up is right now I can't really see any other big third party title they could promote in this DLC season. Maybe we will start seeing promotion for other minor titles, like the twins of Astral Chains, Byleth from Three Houses, or even Elma for X2 which might be announced at E3 for all we know. Besides, I will shocked if we don't get a new Kirby rep. The series has grown esponentially before and during Ultimate's development, and both Bandana Dee and Magolor were really popular, especially in Japan, during the Ballot.

Also Joker was a very hype inducing reveal, and Nintendo specifically asked for him to be the forst one revealed mere hours before the game release, and was used as the poster boy for the Pass as a whole. That makes me wonder if he is the biggest name in the line up, and if so then I can't really see the rest being lesser relevant TP fighters than Joker, who himself isn't even on the same level of most other TP guests already in the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would that even make any sense? World of Light has a massive amount of Spirit battles, meaning that there would've been way more than enough room to have Spirits from both X and 2. Not to mention that the way Mythra is placed in WoL, as the final light Spirit guarding Palutena, makes it pretty clear that she was placed rather delibaretly there. As for the other points, RandomAce RandomAce already covers those pretty well.

Nope, that was Tora. Lin and Lao are also nowhere to be found. Trust me, I'd definitely remember if they were there.

What Nonno Umby Nonno Umby said. X is not there in the internal listing.
Kinda disappointed Malos wasn't the final Dark Spirit before Bayonetta on the other side of the map...woulda been perfect having the two Aegises on opposite sides

Top Bottom