• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But Roy was a veteran (and a semiclone) and lacked a stage and music, which we know that this time every fighter will have. Also after that surplus we had 6 months without a character until Cloud in December, where they released mostly Mii Costumes and Stages, and considering that this time there seems to be more focus on the 5 picks that were chosen before the end of development and that they will most likely not release stages outside of the Fighter Pass I think that they will better distrubute them trought the year.

I really doubt they would release 3 out of the 5 characters planned until February 2020 in June 2019.
Lucas was a veteran as well and he was released alongside Roy and Ryu on that day. If they could release two veterans and a newcomer with a stage in one pack in a day, than they could release two newcomers with two new stages in a pack in a day.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Lucas was a veteran as well and he was released alongside Roy and Ryu on that day. If they could release two veterans and a newcomer with a stage in one pack in a day, than they could release two newcomers with two new stages in a pack in a day.
Then 6 months of nothing but costumes and returning 64 stages. Creating new stages from scratch isn't as easy as people assume (remember that Orbital Gate Assoult needed a whole year to be completed).
Also let's not forget that For overall had more DLC fighters, 7 against 5 (Plant was made alongside the base roster, as proved by it having a Palutena Guidance), so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I just don't think they would release 3 out of 5 characters before mid 2019 and then have only two for the remaining 8 months.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Then 6 months of nothing but costumes and returning 64 stages. Creating new stages from scratch isn't as easy as people assume (remember that Orbital Gate Assoult needed a whole year to be completed).
Also let's not forget that For overall had more DLC fighters, 7 against 5 (Plant was made alongside the base roster, as proved by it having a Palutena Guidance), so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I just don't think they would release 3 out of 5 characters before mid 2019 and then have only two for the remaining 8 months.
You know that's what happened in Smash 4 right? They didn't reveal Bayonetta and Corrin until the Final Presentation Direct which was in December 6 months later after Roy and Ryu's reveal. And than Bayonetta and Corrin were released in February of the following year two months later. Also, during those 6 months we got nothing but Mii costumes and 3 returning stages like Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle 64, and Dream Land 64, so isn't farfetched as you say it is because it has happened before.

D

Deleted member

You know what **** Elma, we don't need her
All we need is Pichu and Ganondorf fighting to this song like a 2010 stop-motion Sonic vs Shadow action figure fight

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Nintendo somehow messes up next patch and adds more codenames, what would Elma’s potential codename be...?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If Nintendo somehow messes up next patch and adds more codenames, what would Elma’s potential codename be...?
BLADE

Then people would assume it would be Rex & Pyra and then pull a "GOTCHA! HAW HAW HAW!" for Elma. Joking aside, it's a sort of trademark for Elma. Heck, XC2 referenced this in Elma's DLC when she said she was a member of B.L.A.D.E. and only to have the other characters thought she was a blade in XC2 terms.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Another good title would be "doll". Everyone would suspect Geno and would be thrown for a loop. Blade would be the best however but I think Rex fans had kind of given up on him getting in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How about “Jaguar”? As in Full Metal Jaguar, her skill tree class

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Nice as it would be to get a new code name in the files to resume the guessing, I doubt that we're gonna get a new one. The fact that they removed "Brave" in the most recent update kinda points towards them having learned their lesson on that now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nice as it would be to get a new code name in the files to resume the guessing, I doubt that we're gonna get a new one. The fact that they removed "Brave" in the most recent update kinda points towards them having learned their lesson on that now.
They could leave a name based on their base character like in 4...I think Bayonetta's 4 DLC slot had "zss" in its file name meaning ZSS was a possible base

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
They could leave a name based on their base character like in 4...I think Bayonetta's 4 DLC slot had "zss" in its file name meaning ZSS was a possible base
IIRC it wasn't a name. Among the dummy "mario" files one had ZSS' stats pasted on it, while another one had Ike's (who was Cloud in the end). But since the naming was just "mario" nobody looked into it until much later, well after the actual fighets were released.
I don't think they would do such mistake again, especially sinc ethey went out of the way to actually remove Brave and Jack in the latest update.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm...

the Jack and Brave names were removed, but are the stats still there? Stats can change after all

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Think we may have a Smash Direct this month despite the 3.0.0 patch hitting in april? Or even a Direct Mini?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Think we may have a Smash Direct this month despite the 3.0.0 patch hitting in april? Or even a Direct Mini?
I figured we'd get a Smash direct sometime late March or early April to go over what stuff is added and changed with patch 3.0.0, along with Joker gameplay shown off plus FINALLY getting DLC character 2 atleast teased through a trailer or something like that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I figured we'd get a Smash direct sometime late March or early April to go over what stuff is added and changed with patch 3.0.0, along with Joker gameplay shown off plus FINALLY getting DLC character 2 atleast teased through a trailer or something like that.
If Brave is a third party like the popularly speculated Erdrick, I feel they may save him for E3. Kinda hoping the 2nd teaser isn’t Brave...

Hopefully Elma?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
For the Edrick pick I'm speculating if we are not getting DLC from SE. If I could rank the support from third party supporters in smash SE is at the bottom of the barrel. Why should they get a character in smash if they cant give us more spirits and music?

As for Elma I'd say if this timeline is the best timeline, an XCX port will be announced for a winter 2020 release (talking about some of the changes monolith had made to graphical and loading speeds). The XCX content in smash would be announced in the fall direct. Finally the Elma (or XCX character) amiibo would launch the same time as the XCX game and can save a players unit and bring it to another friends game (Like Splatton 2 amiibo).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
For the Edrick pick I'm speculating if we are not getting DLC from SE. If I could rank the support from third party supporters in smash SE is at the bottom of the barrel. Why should they get a character in smash if they cant give us more spirits and music?
The thing is Dragon Quest is the definition of RPG in Japan, as it surpasses in popularity Final Fantasy and rivals Pokémon, and considering that most entries in the series are avaiable on Nintendo's console (or even exclusive to them) the fact that it has no representation in Smash is a crime.
Also some insider pointed out that SE was stingy with FF content because they wanted Cloud to be DLC again rather than base, but considering how they desperately want DQ to be relevant in the West, and how being in Smash made popular series like Fire Emblem over here, I feel like they might be way more cooperative with Erdrik.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The thing is Dragon Quest is the definition of RPG in Japan, as it surpasses in popularity Final Fantasy and rivals Pokémon, and considering that most entries in the series are avaiable on Nintendo's console (or even exclusive to them) the fact that it has no representation in Smash is a crime.
Also some insider pointed out that SE was stingy with FF content because they wanted Cloud to be DLC again rather than base, but considering how they desperately want DQ to be relevant in the West, and how being in Smash made popular series like Fire Emblem over here, I feel like they might be way more cooperative with Erdrik.
I'll "buy" the music being because SE thought Cloud would be DLC (Even though that makes no sense since Sakurai probably told SE that Cloud was gonna be in the base game.) However, there were a ton of spirits that SE could of added in smash that had nothing to do with FF. Octopath Traveler, I am Setsuna, Chronotrigger, Bravley Default, TWEWY, and many more games that have characters with no chance of getting in but should have representation in smash. Also, wanting your only character to be DLC when Konami (the embodyment of an eldritch god when it comes to businesses) gives you way more content for Smash with no DLC is just scummy.

As for the Dragon Quest getting rep in smash I'll hold out on Edrick getting in. I understand that its majorly popular in Japan but it'll be interesting to find out if they'll add him, i mean he's a older rep coming to DQ3

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'll "buy" the music being because SE thought Cloud would be DLC (Even though that makes no sense since Sakurai probably told SE that Cloud was gonna be in the base game.) However, there were a ton of spirits that SE could of added in smash that had nothing to do with FF. Octopath Traveler, I am Setsuna, Chronotrigger, Bravley Default, TWEWY, and many more games that have characters with no chance of getting in but should have representation in smash.

As for the Dragon Quest getting rep in smash I'll hold out on Edrick getting in. I understand that its majorly popular in Japan but it'll be interesting to find out if they'll add him, i mean he's a older rep coming from DQ 3.
The lack of other Square Spirits probably has to do with how Sakurai and his team decided them. Notice that even with other more cooperative Third Party company we don't have Spirits from series that aren't in Smash, like Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter (beside the Rhatalos), Contra, Tekken, Tales of...

While Erdrik is from a very old game in the series, he is pne of the most popular protagonists, frequently referred as a legendary hero in several games (similar to how Marth is in FE), his equipment is among the best avaiable and (Dragon Quest XI spoilers)
He kinda makes an appearance at the end of the game

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The lack of other Square Spirits probably has to do with how Sakurai and his team decided them. Notice that even with other more cooperative Third Party company we don't have Spirits from series that aren't in Smash, like Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter (beside the Rhatalos), Contra, Tekken, Tales of...

While Erdrik is from a very old game in the series, he is pne of the most popular protagonists, frequently referred as a legendary hero in several games (similar to how Marth is in FE), his equipment is among the best avaiable and (Dragon Quest XI spoilers)
He kinda makes an appearance at the end of the game
Fair point on the Spirits from other companies, but even if SE was to want Cloud as DLC (again) shouldn't they have added at least a few spirits from earlier entries in FF, like spirits from 6 or tactics?

How is DQ11? I take it you're a fan of the series since you seem to want Edrick in the game? I kind of want to check out the series?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Fair point on the Spirits from other companies, but even if SE was to want Cloud as DLC (again) shouldn't they have added at least a few spirits from earlier entries in FF, like spirits from 6 or tactics?

How is DQ11? I take it you're a fan of the series since you seem to want Edrick in the game? I kind of want to check out the series?
My guess is that SE wanted Cloud as DLC again so much that initially refused to give Sakurai the rights for the base game, but eventually they were convinced, but it was too late to license more from them. Dataminers have found out that Cloud was the last fighter added to the base game, and probably Sakurai didn't want to create Spirits until he had the license, and when he got it it was too late. That would also explain why Cloud is used in only 2 Spirits Battle, the Zeke one (and we know that XC2 content was added later in development) and the Master Edge one (were he could have easely been replaced with Ike).

I'm not really a DQ fan, I've only played a couple of then and enjoyed them, but I've heard amazing things about XI, and many hardcore fans suggest it to JRPG fans in general, as it is also great as a starting point (but I would suggest in waiting for the Switch port since it looks like it will be the definitive version). But I kinda want Erdrik due to the historical value of the series alone rather than attachment to the character. Dragon Quest is such an important series that having Persona and Xenoblade in Smash without DQ is like having a Nintendo crossover with Yoshi but not getting Mario. One wouldn't exist without the other, so it makes sense to have both.

also if he manages to shut up those who legitimately want Goku in Smash then that alone is worth being.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
My guess is that SE wanted Cloud as DLC again so much that initially refused to give Sakurai the rights for the base game, but eventually they were convinced, but it was too late to license more from them. Dataminers have found out that Cloud was the last fighter added to the base game, and probably Sakurai didn't want to create Spirits until he had the license, and when he got it it was too late. That would also explain why Cloud is used in only 2 Spirits Battle, the Zeke one (and we know that XC2 content was added later in development) and the Master Edge one (were he could have easely been replaced with Ike).

I'm not really a DQ fan, I've only played a couple of then and enjoyed them, but I've heard amazing things about XI, and many hardcore fans suggest it to JRPG fans in general, as it is also great as a starting point (but I would suggest in waiting for the Switch port since it looks like it will be the definitive version). But I kinda want Erdrik due to the historical value of the series alone rather than attachment to the character. Dragon Quest is such an important series that having Persona and Xenoblade in Smash without DQ is like having a Nintendo crossover with Yoshi but not getting Mario. One wouldn't exist without the other, so it makes sense to have both.

also if he manages to shut up those who legitimately want Goku in Smash then that alone is worth being.
That makes me wonder how hurt SE is for income, if they wouldn't allow Cloud in Smash and wanted him as DLC it'd be interesting to look at their income reports, I doubt people would take kindly to having to buy a character that should have been apart of the base game, How would Sakurai try to explain that? And Geno fans think he's actually gonna get into Smash, I honestly feels sorry for them, if they could just accept their caracter isn't getting in.

I'm game to try it now, Not too big into JRPGs but it sounds like a less serious version of FF. (Judging by the trailers) I would like to play DQ 3 if it comes to the virtual concole, since it's not on the SNES Classic.

Ha, good luck appealing to those guys, I thought they were joking when it came to Goku.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
That makes me wonder how hurt SE is for income, if they wouldn't allow Cloud in Smash and wanted him as DLC it'd be interesting to look at their income reports, I doubt people would take kindly to having to buy a character that should have been apart of the base game, How would Sakurai try to explain that? And Geno fans think he's actually gonna get into Smash, I honestly feels sorry for them, if they could just accept their caracter isn't getting in.

I'm game to try it now, Not too big into JRPGs but it sounds like a less serious version of FF. (Judging by the trailers) I would like to play DQ 3 if it comes to the virtual concole, since it's not on the SNES Classic.

Ha, good luck appealing to those guys, I thought they were joking when it came to Goku.
Yeah, they surely weren't on the players side.

Oh absolutely, speaking of tone they are less serious and edgy than FF, but I've also heard that XI has the best story in the series besides its charming characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to DQ, if they wanted to reveal a character for it, then why skip over a Direct that was mostly specifically focused on it? I've been thinking that this may just all be a hoax in the end and Tansut messed up somehow. And that there isn't an SE character. And that Vergeben really ought to consider investing in a bomb shelter.

Even if nothing happens for DQ, you should still check it out, DQ3 is one of the best places to start with in the series.

Yeah, I severely doubt Electrichu would stop acting like a martyr when he doesn't understand that licensed characters can't get in.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
In regards to DQ, if they wanted to reveal a character for it, then why skip over a Direct that was mostly specifically focused on it? I've been thinking that this may just all be a hoax in the end and Tansut messed up somehow. And that there isn't an SE character. And that Vergeben really ought to consider investing in a bomb shelter.
Most likely because they weren't able to properly introduce Erdrik. Sakurai recently confirmed that the other DLC will not have a cinematic trailer like how they did with Joker, rather they will stick to gameplay ones like how they did with the Smash For DLC. Also, as I pointed out several times, they don't usually tie announcements together. Look at Joker, he was revealed without a port of P5, yet every single insider is saying that it will be ported and Atlus even registered the trademark "P5S".

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Even if nothing happens for DQ, you should still check it out, DQ3 is one of the best places to start with in the series.

Yeah, I severely doubt Electrichu would stop acting like a martyr when he doesn't understand that licensed characters can't get in.
I recall them saying something about looking forward to more DQ related news in that direct, so maybe a DQ character in Smash is part of that news.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Well, now I'm looking forward to DQ 11, hopfully itll hold me, or anyone else, off until the XCX port comes out. Maybe nintendo should add DQ3 to the switch online library?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Make that 1-4. I mean, the first game was used as a pack-in for a Nintendo Power issue once.
Wow, they're really trying to push this game in the west. Giving a copy of a game for free? I've read somewhere that DQ11 sales was 4 million, but Japan made up 75% of it. The western market would eat the game up if it does better. It looks more of a pallet cleanser compared to the edgy tone of FF nowadays.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wow, they're really trying to push this game in the west. Giving a copy of a game for free? I've read somewhere that DQ11 sales was 4 million, but Japan made up 75% of it. The western market would eat the game up if it does better. It looks more of a pallet cleanser compared to the edgy tone of FF nowadays.
The problem is that compared to other JRPG franchises it's a little old hat. Luckily the Switch thrives on old hat JRPGs, so maybe its luck will change this time and not be ignored in favor of the head-explodingly, face-meltingly, mind-blowingly popular FF for once.

Although the other issue is whether its focus in the Direct didn't annoy too many people that wanted to hear about other announcements.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that compared to other JRPG franchises it's a little old hat. Luckily the Switch thrives on old hat JRPGs, so maybe its luck will change this time and not be ignored in favor of the head-explodingly, face-meltingly, mind-blowingly popular FF for once.

Although the other issue is whether its focus in the Direct didn't annoy too many people that wanted to hear about other announcements.
The thing that made the game more interesting was the 16 bit gameplay, it makes it have 2 playthroughs. The new major jrpgs are getting too bloated so I'm interested in it.

To be honest this direct was very disappointing, should of had HK silk song, travis stikes again DLC shown off, and could have gotten DD 2 revealed on the direct. The only game I'm hyped for was Astral Chain, FE looked alright, and Links awakening didn't do much.

Top Bottom