• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
He also spoiled metal faces true identity ( I dont know how far in the game his identity is revealed but thanks for the spoilers Sakarai.) They didn't acknowledge cross in XC2 with Elma right, she talked about Lao and Lin though.
Metal Face is a different can of worms. I always puzzeled together his true identity (his second encounter solified it for me), but in the grandscheme things he is not major spoiler territory unlike the rest of the bombshells the original Xenoblade pulls. I guess he is a spoiler, but I feel he is more Black Knight tier/where they they don't really try to hide it his true identity

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
but I feel he is more Black Knight tier/where they they don't really try to hide it his true identity
To be fair,
Black Knight made it through a whole game without being shown who he was, and after he was assumed dead we are introduced to a new character who sure seems a lot like him but nothing definitive and then suddenly Black Knight is alive and now it seems more suspicious until we finally get confirmation in the final act. Black Knight being Zelgius was a pretty big spoiler up until FEH where they just didn't even try to hide it lol.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You're right on the rosalina part, but it's still something Nintendo could use to cross promotion their IP's.
Now talking about spoiler content in smash, isn't it weird that in both XC2 and smash bros XCX content is spoiler free? We only learn about characters like lin, tatsu, and lao, as well as the skells and a few continents. We dont know about the mims, the other alien races, or other characters like cross or L? For how much Sakurai spoils stuff this wasn't even close to XC1's level.
I feel like having Elma in the game would be enough cross promotion, rather than an half baked thing checking my savedata.
And TBH I feel like there is a strong possibility for Elma to have her true form as the base costume and the mimesome as an alt since her true form will most likely be her defaul appearance in a sequel (and also this way she can easely avoid the whole "Spirits deconfirm characters" dilemma").

X probably doesn't have many spoilers in Smash because there really isn't a way to have them, since the trophy descriptions are gone and the vast majority of content is from the original, and of that they revealed the true identity of Metal Face and Mecha Fiora, which are both quite big spoilers.
In XC2 they probably wanted to remain vague in order to tease who has played X while at the same time making newcomers interested in her and her misteryous past for when the inevitable port and/or sequel hits the Switch.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I feel like having Elma in the game would be enough cross promotion, rather than an half baked thing checking my savedata.
And TBH I feel like there is a strong possibility for Elma to have her true form as the base costume and the mimesome as an alt since her true form will most likely be her defaul appearance in a sequel (and also this way she can easely avoid the whole "Spirits deconfirm characters" dilemma").

X probably doesn't have many spoilers in Smash because there really isn't a way to have them, since the trophy descriptions are gone and the vast majority of content is from the original, and of that they revealed the true identity of Metal Face and Mecha Fiora, which are both quite big spoilers.
In XC2 they probably wanted to remain vague in order to tease who has played X while at the same time making newcomers interested in her and her misteryous past for when the inevitable port and/or sequel hits the Switch.
It'd be crazy if Elma's true form was revealed to be the main costume. I know Sakurai likes to spoil games, but I dont see him doing something like that. For the spirit situation they could swap her design for her XC2 design and call her spirit Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) since many characters have alt outfit.

I hope if XCX gets a sequel we learn more about her, and what alliance she has with humans.
Metal Face is a different can of worms. I always puzzeled together his true identity (his second encounter solified it for me), but in the grandscheme things he is not major spoiler territory unlike the rest of the bombshells the original Xenoblade pulls. I guess he is a spoiler, but I feel he is more Black Knight tier/where they they don't really try to hide it his true identity
I was still surprised by the reveal, (I shouldn't ave been, but still) so in essence, even though it's a minor spoiler it's still a spoiler

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It'd be crazy if Elma's true form was revealed to be the main costume. I know Sakurai likes to spoil games, but I dont see him doing something like that. For the spirit situation they could swap her design for her XC2 design and call her spirit Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) since many characters have alt outfit.

I hope if XCX gets a sequel we learn more about her, and what alliance she has with humans.

I was still surprised by the reveal, (I shouldn't ave been, but still) so in essence, even though it's a minor spoiler it's still a spoiler
maybe her XC2 design could be her Fighter spirit?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So people in other threads are posting that one of the female voices of Cross just posted she got to do voice work for a big game. A lot of people are speculating Smash, but I wonder with Elma's voice actress also doing a secret project if this is somehow XCX related?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So people in other threads are posting that one of the female voices of Cross just posted she got to do voice work for a big game. A lot of people are speculating Smash, but I wonder with Elma's voice actress also doing a secret project if this is somehow XCX related?
Which VA is? Because of she isn't the "default" one then I highly doubt that it is Cross. But maybe she could be for X2 or even Smash but a different character, like the female version of Erdrik, who I belive doesn't have an official VA.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which VA is? Because of she isn't the "default" one then I highly doubt that it is Cross. But maybe she could be for X2 or even Smash but a different character, like the female version of Erdrik, who I belive doesn't have an official VA.
Could also be Shantae, which I’m hoping for for two reasons: to blow common expectations out of the water, and to sink the “spirits deconfirm” argument once and for all, possibly even opening the gates to previously spirited characters like Dixie Kong, Black Shadow, Bandana Waddle Dee, and of course, Our Girl(TM).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Could also be Shantae, which I’m hoping for for two reasons: to blow common expectations out of the water, and to sink the “spirits deconfirm” argument once and for all, possibly even opening the gates to previously spirited characters like Dixie Kong, Black Shadow, Bandana Waddle Dee, and of course, Our Girl(TM).
Oh it's Cristina Vee? Well she is awesome, so I'm happy to hear that she is on a big project!
Also Shantae is my favourite indie character so I would love to see her too!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm not an active Shantae supporter but I'm definitely not a detractor. She'd be awesome. She also voices my favorite Tales protagonist, Velvet Crowe, but that's such a long shot when Lloyd is on the table. Unless it means Berseria Switch port...

She's also 5 Volt from WarioWare and even if Mona is my girl you wouldn't catch me saying no to another Wario rep, especially one as unusual as that.

Of course, X was also said to be a huge game hence why a port is "unrealistic"...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yo

IF Elma does officially become confirmed and we get our own forum (whoop whoop!!)

I vote we rename our thread in the “celebratory” phase to “WE GOT BACK THE LIFE FOR OURSELVES TODAY!” As a reference to the last chorus of Uncontrollable

That or “WE’RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET!”

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yo

IF Elma does officially become confirmed and we get our own forum (whoop whoop!!)

I vote we rename our thread in the “celebratory” phase to “WE GOT BACK THE LIFE FOR OURSELVES TODAY!” As a reference to the last chorus of Uncontrollable

That or “WE’RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET!”
More like ''Smash Planet'' ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So there's a rumor that there may be a direct on the 13th. If we get a direct tweet next week, keep an eye out on who retweets it.

If Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga, or (bonus points) Hiroyuki Sawano retweets it...
eyesshaking.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So there's a rumor that there may be a direct on the 13th. If we get a direct tweet next week, keep an eye out on who retweets it.

If Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga, or (bonus points) Hiroyuki Sawano retweets it...
Keep in mind that Saga also retweeted Sakurai's Fighter's Pass announcement tweet

...Then again, that may have been for the Rex outfit being a part of it...

Dammit I'm getting hyped again

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that Saga also retweeted Sakurai's Fighter's Pass announcement tweet

...Then again, that may have been for the Rex outfit being a part of it...

Dammit I'm getting hyped again
Also keep in mind Saga then stated that people shouldn't read too hard into retweets and overspeculate, she's got a no-bull**** policy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Caitlin Glass may also drop a very vague hint since the character she's under NDA for might be revealed, if indeed it is Elma for Smash. I think Howden did something similar for Shulk last Smash...

that, or even if Houko Kuwashima (Elma's JP VO) likes or retweets it, but that's less likely

D

Deleted member

Also keep in mind Saga then stated that people shouldn't read too hard into retweets and overspeculate, she's got a no-bull**** policy.
That's fair.

We should at least keep an eye on a retweet, just in case. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
imagine tho

seeing this under the "See artists who worked on new tracks" button on the site's music section:

"Hiroyuki Sawano - Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn"

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it

D

Deleted member

imagine tho

seeing this under the "See artists who worked on new tracks" button on the site's music section:

"Hiroyuki Sawano - Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn"

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it
I just neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Uncontrollable in this game

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If they ever got Yuki Kajiura to make music for Smash I'd lose my goddamn mind.
I just neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Uncontrollable in this game
I've still no idea why it's not in at all, in fact I question the song selections quite a bit. Music is subjective I know but no ARMS music? No Prime 3 music? And not a single track from Xenoblade X? Come on guys.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they ever got Yuki Kajiura to make music for Smash I'd lose my goddamn mind.

I've still no idea why it's not in at all, in fact I question the song selections quite a bit. Music is subjective I know but no ARMS music? No Prime 3 music? And not a single track from Xenoblade X? Come on guys.
No Tokyo Mirage Sessions music either despite its gajillion spirits, though that may be due to the fact AVEX produced the vocal tracks and they're VERY anal about the songs being used elsewhere without their consent

Sawano doesn't have that limitation iirc

also the fact we STILL don't have :ultfalcon:'s vocal theme from F-Zero GX is an unforgivable crime in itself

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
F-Zero music selection sucks in general, there's so many gems from X and GX missing because of their boner for 20-second SNES loops.
I think the vocal themes from GX might have copyright issues? Not sure, tho

damn, we really need a feature to like load in our own music without risking a console ban from modding, they haven't made undetectable mods yet i don't think

hell I'd even mod in Uncontrollable on Gaur Plain RIGHT NOW just to tide me over until Elma comes, cause I'm confident she will be in

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I think the vocal themes from GX might have copyright issues? Not sure, tho

damn, we really need a feature to like load in our own music without risking a console ban from modding, they haven't made undetectable mods yet i don't think

hell I'd even mod in Uncontrollable on Gaur Plain RIGHT NOW just to tide me over until Elma comes, cause I'm confident she will be in
Rie you've no idea how much I'm DYING to mod music into this game, it's a shame Nintendo is so anti-modding. I just want to load this game full of songs until it can't take anymore, and you bet I'll be shoving lots of Xeno in there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Rie you've no idea how much I'm DYING to mod music into this game, it's a shame Nintendo is so anti-modding. I just want to load this game full of songs until it can't take anymore, and you bet I'll be shoving lots of Xeno in there.
I modded the **** out of Smash Wii U's music list back then, added Uncontrollable, Theme of Captain Falcon, Reincarnation (from TMS), some TWEWY songs on Midgar...it was the besttttt

and the best thing was that Nintendo didn't give a crap about the Wii U so they didn't put any mod restrictions, I guess that was one good thing about being a doomed console

but since the Switch is their biggest success ever, they wanna make sure there's no piracy and cheating and so...oof

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I modded the **** out of Smash Wii U's music list back then, added Uncontrollable, Theme of Captain Falcon, Reincarnation (from TMS), some TWEWY songs on Midgar...it was the besttttt

and the best thing was that Nintendo didn't give a crap about the Wii U so they didn't put any mod restrictions, I guess that was one good thing about being a doomed console

but since the Switch is their biggest success ever, they wanna make sure there's no piracy and cheating and so...oof
And yet people have been making mods anyway (someone in the KOS-MOS thread commissioned her over ZSS), so hopefully Nintendo just...chooses to look away and let people have fun.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So since I brought up Breath of the Wild mods earlier - I came across this video, earlier, and figured I might share it. Not a mod, but still very relevant to us here.

And on the topic of music, I feel that the comment section on this video is worth pointing out:

'Course, there's mostly people complaining about 2 not getting enough tracks, but there's also a good number of people pointing out how X got ignored and how Elma might have chances. It's nothing world-shaking, but hey, I figured others here might like seeing some positive reinforcement.

View attachment 190982
If it's really just a rumor, I'm gonna refrain from hyping anything for the time being. People - me included - have speculated that a Direct might happen any day now since the year began, and so far there's been nothing at all. I'm gonna watch this calmly.
Though admittedly that might be because as far as games go Dark Souls Remastered has been occupying all of my time already drawing all attention away from Smash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering the fact that Uncontrollable played during Elma’s XC2 fight and plays if you have Elma as one of your Blades and Special Music enabled during a UM, it would definitely be no issue to use Sawano’s music outside of XCX. Sawano himself even says he likes the promotion.

Speaking of XC2...still need tips for Elma Redux... ;-;

Am I gonna need some kinda crit heal setup or something? And/or good core chips? I wanna try to unlock her for Alrest before the postgame

also id love it if X’s Switch port had a New Game Plus feature, 2 has both a postgame AND NG+

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering the fact that Uncontrollable played during Elma’s XC2 fight and plays if you have Elma as one of your Blades and Special Music enabled during a UM, it would definitely be no issue to use Sawano’s music outside of XCX. Sawano himself even says he likes the promotion.

Am I gonna need some kinda crit heal setup or something? And/or good core chips? I wanna try to unlock her for Alrest before the postgame
Honestly I can't think of a way to beat her without Corvin cheese or postgame Core Chips like the ones you get from Superbosses. The non cheese strat I used heavily relied on Poppi's fully upgraded form as well, and it's kinda hard to get max potential out of her by grinding Tiger Tiger, but I use NG+ where you can buy Ether Crystals.

The only way I could see someone beating it pre-postgame is Corvin cheese. However, my cheese setup personally uses postgame Core Chips and my blades are all at S+ trust which is something people usually only achieve postgame (though that's not really necessary tbh). I'm sure Corvin strats could still work, but it would be a pretty slow fight

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

also id love it if X’s Switch port had a New Game Plus feature, 2 has both a postgame AND NG+
The best way to have her before post game is using Custom Difficulty.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Rush a dark combo on her to seal her reinforcement summon ability, then focus on taking out her start of battle decoys, healing and focusing on her once the decoys are gone. Don't use any other Blade combos or you'll lose the seal. It's slow but once you get down to just Elma it's a matter of just staying alive.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I do and I still get my butt whooped ;-;
Do you have a fully costumized Poppi QTπ? Having her (as well as her other forms) properly set up allows you to just really break everything with Tora.
To bad that doesn't make up for him being a **** character in terms of writing

D

Deleted member

Do you have a fully costumized Poppi QTπ? Having her (as well as her other forms) properly set up allows you to just really break everything with Tora.
To bad that doesn't make up for him being a **** character in terms of writing
And by break, it's literal. Tora has the objectively best break art in the entire game, and in my opinion it's usefulness makes it the best art in the game. You can easily rush a Dark combo while not letting her do anything
hey lets give the generic anime pervert that nobody likes an entire ****ing chapter dedicated to his ****ty backstory that all of three people care about

Calamitas

Smash Champion
And by break, it's literal. Tora has the objectively best break art in the entire game, and in my opinion it's usefulness makes it the best art in the game. You can easily rush a Dark combo while not letting her do anything
hey lets give the generic anime pervert that nobody likes an entire ****ing chapter dedicated to his ****ty backstory that all of three people care about
Oh yeah, that's also worth mentioning. By giving either Tora or Poppi (don't remember if it was a driver thing or a blade thing) the item that makes blade switching faster, he can also essentially pull of a full driver combo by himself. It's pretty useful.
Monolith Soft character development meeting for 2 going like
"Alright, we need a concept for our new playable Nopon character!"
"How about basically Riki but with more story significance?"
"How about Tatsu but playable and without constant food jokes?"
"How about a female Nopon who goes through a genuine character arc and isn't treated as a joke most of the time?"
"How about a generic anime pervert who has a human fetish and a maid fetish and who's less relevant to the main story than his own Blade?"

"That last one is brilliant! Everyone else is fired."

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, that's also worth mentioning. By giving either Tora or Poppi (don't remember if it was a driver thing or a blade thing) the item that makes blade switching faster, he can also essentially pull of a full driver combo by himself. It's pretty useful.
Monolith Soft character development meeting for 2 going like
"Alright, we need a concept for our new playable Nopon character!"
"How about basically Riki but with more story significance?"
"How about Tatsu but playable and without constant food jokes?"
"How about a female Nopon who goes through a genuine character arc and isn't treated as a joke most of the time?"
"How about a generic anime pervert who has a human fetish and a maid fetish and who's less relevant to the main story than his own Blade?"

"That last one is brilliant! Everyone else is fired."
Eh the Overclocking Bangle is helpful but in high-level speedkilling it quickly becomes useless as it's just a waste of an accessory slot since you don't really like need a full driver combo for any base game enemy once you have an Orb Master and/or master Fusion Combos.
seriously why does it feel like the nopon sidekicks are getting worse and worse over time
i loved riki, i tolerated tatsu but he was annoying, and now tora is just... eugh. his only plus is how goddamn good he is in gameplay seriously look up any optimal team build and he's there

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm...

Spawn Wave is supposedly saying, XCX won’t be a reason to keep the Wii U much longer...?

Switch Port announcement soon? If so they really did pull a CrossCode with us

Top Bottom