• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
View attachment 185849View attachment 185852
I'm starting to think it might be random whether or not it shows up; here are two (very low quality) pics of my summon list sorted by name in alphabetical order including the grey "insufficient cores" section. This is the "F" section for both. It's not in either of them for some reason (unless I'm being ultra blind)

Like, I don't actually have the Mech Spirit required to summon, but I just think this is odd that its not showing up
Maybe you need at least one of the required Spirits/cores for it to appear? I don't know, I'm just guessing, but I think that might make sense.

D

Deleted member

Maybe you need at least one of the required Spirits/cores for it to appear? I don't know, I'm just guessing, but I think that might make sense.
Perhaps. I'll check it again when I actually have one of the necessary Spirits lmao

EDIT: Sure enough, I got the Robobot Armor and now it showed up. That settles that then

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, here's a random (admittedly a bit silly) thought with regards to the RTC thread: At the end of the day even the low rankings kinda work in Elma's favour. Because as misinterpreted as his statements have been, Reggie did say that all the DLC fighters would be unexpected - and really, what else do these low ratings do but make her an unexpected character?

Perhaps. I'll check it again when I actually have one of the necessary Spirits lmao

EDIT: Sure enough, I got the Robobot Armor and now it showed up. That settles that then
Well, that's that theory confirmed then.

D

Deleted member

So, here's a random (admittedly a bit silly) thought with regards to the RTC thread: At the end of the day even the low rankings kinda work in Elma's favour. Because as misinterpreted as his statements have been, Reggie did say that all the DLC fighters would be unexpected - and really, what else do these low ratings do but make her an unexpected character?

Well, that's that theory confirmed then.
no he said unexpected which means girl from hajimari no mori is a lock you ignorant worm

KatKit

Smash Lord
I have all of the Xenoblade X spirits, but I didn't come across Elma on the spirit board yet (she's an unlockable on the challenge board); was looking forward to the actual fight. I leveled her up to 99 ASAP and added her to my favs though, haha.

Also, maybe it's the amount of references in Ultimate, but I'd be down for Monolith Soft to make another Baten Kaitos game one day. Like X, it's underrated as heck lol.

This is how Style Savvy can still win
You say this, but I've been expecting Style Savvy since Smash 4. *cries internally*

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have all of the Xenoblade X spirits, but I didn't come across Elma on the spirit board yet (she's an unlockable on the challenge board).

Also, maybe it's the amount of references in Ultimate, but I'd be down for Monolith Soft to make another Baten Kaitos game one day. Like X, it's underrated as heck lol.

You say this, but I've been expecting Style Savvy since Smash 4. *cries internally*
Just play World of Light. She’ll come to you once you unlock almost all the characters in the first area

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I have all of the Xenoblade X spirits, but I didn't come across Elma on the spirit board yet (she's an unlockable on the challenge board); was looking forward to the actual fight. I leveled her up to 99 ASAP and added her to my favs though, haha.

I've been wanting to fight Elma's spirit battle for so long, I regret getting her spirit right off the bat from challenge board cheat.
Elma is kind of in a weird place for expectation. Many people dont know her since shes from XCX, on the other hand, we're expecting her because we have a form of evidence for her inclusion. So shes both a unexpected and an expected choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't one of their art directors say he would like to work on a new Baten Kaitos?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Once you've unlocked her through the Challenges, Elma will start showing up on the Spirit Board. (the same thing goes for any spirit that you get through Challenges aside from the Fighter Spirits, presumably so you don't accidentally sell them and lose them forever) Her fight is against a Bayonetta in the Jeanne outfit (red suit and white hair), who's on Gaur Plains and armed with one of the sword weapons. (Killing Edge? Can't remember)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah it's a Killing Edge. Lots of Spirits only appear on the Spirit Board once you've unlocked them some other way which is a pain.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Elma’s in RTC today...I wanna say my ratings, but I fear I’ll be torn apart there...
dang I can't believe I missed Elma's RTC day, should really pay more attention to the schedule.

EDIT: dang you guys really came to represent though, those are some of the highest numbers I've seen in a while. And I wouldn't worry about what Captain America says, he always has a pretty western slant on his views (as evidenced by wanting someone from Skyrim) but he is usually a pretty fair rater and doesn't seem to let his bias affect him too much. Plus I mean while XCX is 100% less anime than XC2 it's still pretty anime, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So Elma had a RTC? How was it?

dang I can't believe I missed Elma's RTC day, should really pay more attention to the schedule.

EDIT: dang you guys really came to represent though, those are some of the highest numbers I've seen in a while. And I wouldn't worry about what Captain America says, he always has a pretty western slant on his views (as evidenced by wanting someone from Skyrim) but he is usually a pretty fair rater and doesn't seem to let his bias affect him too much. Plus I mean while XCX is 100% less anime than XC2 it's still pretty anime, not that there is anything wrong with that.
To my knowledge he isn't much of a fan of JRPGs which is totally understandable. To each their own.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So Elma had a RTC? How was it?

To my knowledge he isn't much of a fan of JRPGs which is totally understandable. To each their own.
Yeah I think he's said that before, but he usually follows up with a "to each their own" type statement when rating a JRPG fighter. I mean obviously he's going to be biased but everyone is and its hard to hold it against someone who is generally pleasant and puts effort into his write-ups doesn't seem fair. If someone came in and gave double zeros with just saying "too anime" then I'd understand being upset.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, no, I like Cap a lot (and I also want the Dragonborn to be in). It's just a little frustrating when that's used as a negative constantly especially when it's a death knell to the Smash community. Like, save that for the Fate characters or whatever. I dunno, it just seems shallow to me.

It was a good time. Like I'd much rather someone actually have reasons for their votes after some research rather than "I've never played this game and I'm too lazy to research this character so 0".

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah, no, I like Cap a lot (and I also want the Dragonborn to be in). It's just a little frustrating when that's used as a negative constantly especially when it's a death knell to the Smash community. Like, save that for the Fate characters or whatever. I dunno, it just seems shallow to me.

It was a good time. Like I'd much rather someone actually have reasons for their votes after some research rather than "I've never played this game and I'm too lazy to research this character so 0".
Oh I agree, as a Fire Emblem fan I get very tired of the constant "too much anime" arguments considering how broad "anime" really is. No one ever complains about Link or Zelda being too anime.

D

Deleted member

Oh I agree, as a Fire Emblem fan I get very tired of the constant "too much anime" arguments considering how broad "anime" really is. No one ever complains about Link or Zelda being too anime.
Link in this BotW looks hella more anime then Elma tbh

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I don't go to the RTC tread anymore. I can understand not wantijg every single character, but just giving 0 because of their look is quite dull.

Anime litterally means animations in japanese. If we apply that to video game then even Mario, Snake, Samus and Simon are all anime characters. Just saying.
Also I didn't see people complain about Joker being too anime when he was announced.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've said it before in the unpopular opinions thread, but the "anime" argument is just especially absurd when you consider that the only character accused of being such who has actually been in an anime is Marth. Meanwhile, the Mario character, Kirby characters, Sonic and Captain Falcon all had actual anime. Not to mention Bayonetta and Cloud.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Anime litterally means animations in japanese. If we apply that to video game then even Mario, Snake, Samus and Simon are all anime characters. Just saying.
I mean I don't think it's quite as broad as that, I think there is an "anime" feel which could be described as "human-like while not being realistic" Snake and Simon for instance I wouldn't classify as "anime" because they are going for a more "realistic" look. Mario and Ness I would probably fall into an "anime" classification by that standard though but you could make an argument that their design falls too far on the "cartoony" spectrum to really be "human-like."

Really since its a Japanese company making a game staring characters mostly from games made by said Japanese company its not exactly surprising that the characters have an "anime" look to them.

D

Deleted member

Thw worst is when people legit wanna leave out actual ****ing gaming legends because "too anime"

Like remember the people who said Cloud shouldn't have gotten in because he was anime???? ****ing Cloud "Mr. Final Fantasy" Strife??? ****ing Cloud "Mr. JRPG" Strife???? Literally one of the most iconic video game characters of all goddamn time??? Like I get if he doesn't match your personal tastes but he is in no way a bad addition because of that lmfao

The people who say this **** usually argue that its because of "clashing aesthetics" but unless they're also pissed about Ridley or Link or Captain Falcon then I pay them no mind

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Speaking of artstyles and aesthetics, how has anyone never pointed out how few sci-fi characters we have compared to the medival fantasy ones? We literally just have the Metroid characters (and even then Ridley cpuld be argued), the Star Fox characters, Mega Man and maaaaaaaaybe Shulk because of how the Monado kinda looks like a laser sword, but for fantasy we have the whole Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus crew alongside Cloud, Simon, Richter and the very likely Erdrik (and arguably all the Mario princesses in cute dresses).
Elma would bring another sci fi character to the roster, with laser guns and a mech, so this should be another point for wanting her TBH.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Speaking of artstyles and aesthetics, how has anyone never pointed out how few sci-fi characters we have compared to the medival fantasy ones? We literally just have the Metroid characters (and even then Ridley cpuld be argued), the Star Fox characters, Mega Man and maaaaaaaaybe Shulk because of how the Monado kinda looks like a laser sword, but for fantasy we have the whole Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus crew alongside Cloud, Simon, Richter and the very likely Erdrik.
Elma would bring another sci fi character to the roster, with laser guns and a mech, so this should be another point for wanting her TBH.
Honestly I think this would be a case of a lack of sci-fi in Nintendo games in general than Smash. Looking at the rest of the Nintendo lineup, who else would fit a sci-fi aesthetic that would be as iconic as Zelda and Fire Emblem?

But agreed Elma being sci-fi makes her an even better pick for Smash.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Speaking of artstyles and aesthetics, how has anyone never pointed out how few sci-fi characters we have compared to the medival fantasy ones? We literally just have the Metroid characters (and even then Ridley cpuld be argued), the Star Fox characters, Mega Man and maaaaaaaaybe Shulk because of how the Monado kinda looks like a laser sword, but for fantasy we have the whole Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus crew alongside Cloud, Simon, Richter and the very likely Erdrik (and arguably all the Mario princesses in cute dresses).
Looking at this, isn’t Metal Gear kinda sci-fi? I mean, giant robots are a big aspect of the series.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Looking at this, isn’t Metal Gear kinda sci-fi? I mean, giant robots are a big aspect of the series.
Metal Gear has sci-fi elements but it's much more of a real world political thriller than anything. An absolutely wild one that deals with giant robots and artificial intelligence and military technology and psychological concepts and emerging technologies but it's definitely not the type of spacefaring sci-fi people associate with Metroid or Xenocross.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I think this would be a case of a lack of sci-fi in Nintendo games in general than Smash. Looking at the rest of the Nintendo lineup, who else would fit a sci-fi aesthetic that would be as iconic as Zelda and Fire Emblem?

But agreed Elma being sci-fi makes her an even better pick for Smash.
Uh, well, Saki from Sin & Punishment? Though he is a far shot.

ARMS characters technically count, but seem to be understandably off-limits until further notice.

Susie is the most sci-fi Kirby character, but is an extremely far shot even if Sak does get over his reluctance at adding anyone new from there...

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

ARMS characters technically count, but seem to be understandably off-limits until further notice.
Yeah I'll give ya Saki but he's hardly an icon and barely relevant.

I'll plead not knowing anything about the ARMS storyline, are they robots or something?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Well, Spring Man at the very least since he’s an Assist Trophy. Ribbon Girl’s a Mii costume like Rex so she could go either way.

I’m hoping the most for Twintelle tho. Her only in game presence is as a (I forget if Ace or Legendary) Support Spirit, and I’m a staunch believer that Spirits =/= deconfirmations. Plus she has actual arms in addition to her hair ARMS so if they couldn’t make Spring Man work as playable, they might do it with Twintelle...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'll plead not knowing anything about the ARMS storyline, are they robots or something?
Basically they're fighters endowed with a genetic factor known as ARMS. Those who lack it compensate for it in other ways (like robot suits or, in Coyle's case, artificially grafting it into themselves ). Basically, X-Men, but with boxing gloves.

Also, there are some straight-up robots, too.

Well, Spring Man at the very least since he’s an Assist Trophy. Ribbon Girl’s a Mii costume like Rex so she could go either way.

I’m hoping the most for Twintelle tho. Her only in game presence is as a (I forget if Ace or Legendary) Support Spirit, and I’m a staunch believer that Spirits =/= deconfirmations. Plus she has actual arms in addition to her hair ARMS so if they couldn’t make Spring Man work as playable, they might do it with Twintelle...
In my case, I figure they might focus on Max Brass and/or Dr. Coyle in the meantime. Which, in a way, would be a fun sort of irony, seeing as they are DLC characters for ARMS themselves.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice

They did remove Saki as an AT so that's something.
ARMS is a group of people that wake up and have extendable arms, nuff said.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Basically they're fighters endowed with a genetic factor known as ARMS. Those who lack it either compensate for it in other ways (like robot suits or, in Coyle's case, artificially grafting it into themselves ). Basically, X-Men, but with boxing gloves.

Dang sounds dope, I've been mildly curious about the game but not enough to pull the trigger on a full price purchase. Maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a sale or something.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Basically, X-Men, but with boxing gloves.

In my case, I figure they might focus on Max Brass and/or Dr. Coyle in the meantime. Which, in a way, would be a fun sort of irony, seeing as they are DLC characters for ARMS themselves.
This is the greatest explanation for Arms i have ever heard. xD

And if Dr. Coyle somehow made it as DLC i would freak out. Seriously i love that woman (but Elma is still better lol).

Anyway i never realized the lack of certain Scifi-Stuff. Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero yeah thats pretty much it. More reason to include Elma. Keep the dream alive guys.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I was kind of thinking about a stage idea for her. What if they did a planet Mira tour on the back of three shells? During the fight they'd fly over different parts if Mira, while other Skells join and leave. The song would be a minute of each zone, uncontrollable, over the rainbow, wir flirgen, codename Z, and other pieces.

D

Deleted member

Watch the "brave" character be somebody completely unrelated to Erdrick to throw everyone off

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We have associated stats for the placeholders, though. It's unlikely that Joker is a short, slowish character like Brave's stats are.

Top Bottom