• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

D

Deleted member

Off topic, but I really wonder how Monolith Softs new IP is going to be

I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat but I love strategy based numbers games which is why I love the Xenoblade combat system (even if some people think that it's too complex). I hope the new IP isn't turn based at least

Then again some turn based combat systens have lured me in with unique mechanics. Octopath for example. Either way, I trust Monolith to make a good game! I'll buy it anyways and see how it works out

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God I hope the Xenosaga trilogy remastering is more than just a rumor. People need to give those a better shake now that the world is more ready for them.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I could imagin X2 something like BOTW for example, but it resolves the plot of Mira.
Similar to BOTW in what way? No levels, simple combat with weapon breaking, climbing anything, gliding, traveling alone? I kinda hope not. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer Xenoblade X's style of gameplay with mechs, a party, unlimited stamina, levels and Arts.

D

Deleted member

I really hope the lack of X songs is a result of them being saved for a DLC pack and not Sakurai being one of those people who love XC1 and 2 to death but refuse to even acknowledge XCX

Also XCX IMO has the best soundtrack of the bunch. Sawano is a god it's gonna suck if they can't get him back if they do an XCX2. Also do we know who owns the rights to the XCX soundtrack? Could the lack of X songs be due to Sawano not giving them music rights? Then again they managed to get not one, but two songs for the XC2 DLC...

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Similar to BOTW in what way? No levels, simple combat with weapon breaking, climbing anything, gliding, traveling alone? I kinda hope not. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer Xenoblade X's style of gameplay with mechs, a party, unlimited stamina, levels and Arts.
More to make it clear that the game isn't that story focussed unlike the regular Xenoblade games. For example Finding the lifehold = Destroy Ganon and the meat of the game is setting up a colony on Mira and doing exploring, sidequests to build up the world.

Your core party is, your avatar, Lin & Elma, other party members are linked to their divisions (for example if you want to go hunt Tyrants, you can ask Doug to support your party, if you want to do some stuff for the community, Hope is your girl. etc.

Honestly what the original X is but a bit more fleshed out and structured (the story chapters in the original X could have been placed better imo, because while I know it isn't the core focus of this game, I felt some chapters could have been placed a bit better(for example chapter 8 should have happend earlier)

You could also make an X sequal with this approach with another crashed white whale ship and those survivors will be meeting the NLA survivors eventually.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I really hope the lack of X songs is a result of them being saved for a DLC pack and not Sakurai being one of those people who love XC1 and 2 to death but refuse to even acknowledge XCX

Also XCX IMO has the best soundtrack of the bunch. Sawano is a god it's gonna suck if they can't get him back if they do an XCX2. Also do we know who owns the rights to the XCX soundtrack? Could the lack of X songs be due to Sawano not giving them music rights? Then again they managed to get not one, but two songs for the XC2 DLC...
I think it's very unlikely Sawano would refuse to let Nintendo use the songs he composed for Xenoblade X in Smash. I talked about this before, but he does not seem that strict about the use of his music. Monolith Soft got it in Xenoblade 2, and Studio Trigger got music Sawano composed for Kill la Kill into Space Patrol Luluco. Besides, this could be a big opportunity for him, to have gamers who aren't into anime hear some of his best music.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Off topic, but I really wonder how Monolith Softs new IP is going to be

I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat but I love strategy based numbers games which is why I love the Xenoblade combat system (even if some people think that it's too complex). I hope the new IP isn't turn based at least

Then again some turn based combat systens have lured me in with unique mechanics. Octopath for example. Either way, I trust Monolith to make a good game! I'll buy it anyways and see how it works out
I'd really like them to take a swing at a proper action rpg since the Xenoblade games are somewhere in between that and a traditional turn based rpg, plus I just love action rpgs, I always have the most fun with that style of combat

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like them to take a swing at a proper action rpg since the Xenoblade games are somewhere in between that and a traditional turn based rpg, plus I just love action rpgs, I always have the most fun with that style of combat
I think this really would be an amazing game if they did this. V into it

D

Deleted member

xD

In all seriousness though. We have a month of hopeful anticipation. I believe in Elma!!!
Unfortunately I'm not too confident that she'll be the first character revealed, as they will probably release a more famous/heavily requested character for the first announcement in order to entice people into buying the DLC

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Can you actually imagine if Katalina was the first character reveal, and at the Game Awards? That'd honestly be the biggest oof in Smash Brothers history.

D

Deleted member

Can you actually imagine if Katalina was the first character reveal, and at the Game Awards? That'd honestly be the biggest oof in Smash Brothers history.
Banjo fans gonna be on suicide watch if that happens

D

Deleted member

Stole this off the Xenoblade subreddit, thought it was too funny not to share

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Not directly related to Elma specifically, but I decided to take a look at the list of confirmed Spirits by series, to see how this "Spirits don't deconfirm characters" notion holds up. And, well, all instances of a Spirit that is also playable is of a distinctly other form of that character - like Pirate K. Rool and Kirby in his Skell Robobot. Doesn't seem too promising for Rex and Pyra from that angle.

Stole this off the Xenoblade subreddit, thought it was too funny not to share
Oh, that reminds me of how I did an Elma's advice thing about Smash before I even joined up here. . . I think I'll better not post it here, though, since it's not exactly kindly worded towards Rex (and Pyra).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not directly related to Elma specifically, but I decided to take a look at the list of confirmed Spirits by series, to see how this "Spirits don't deconfirm characters" notion holds up. And, well, all instances of a Spirit that is also playable is of a distinctly other form of that character - like Pirate K. Rool and Kirby in his Skell Robobot. Doesn't seem too promising for Rex and Pyra from that angle.

Oh, that reminds me of how I did an Elma's advice thing about Smash before I even joined up here. . . I think I'll better not post it here, though, since it's not exactly kindly worded towards Rex (and Pyra).
Aww c'mon, you can't say that and not at least message it to me. Or post it in spoilers. I'm curious now!

KatKit

Smash Lord

The Legend of Heroes (Kiseki) series is one solid turn-based franchise, if you've never heard of it. Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel, etc. are some of the best RPGs out there IMO, turn-based or otherwise. The music, characters, replay value, continuity, world building... it's all great. I kid you not, at least 3 different games made me cry.

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty nice, too.

On the subject of good RPGs and Nihon Falcom, if ARPGs are your cup of tea, might I interest you in some Ys?

Honestly, if Platinum Games made an ARPG with Monolith Soft creating the map, it'd be too good for this world.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm surprised there's still people playing Xeno X online
Yeah, actually. I thought the game's online shut down long ago, but surprisingly people still play the game.

EDIT: I actually looked up XCX's sales, it sold around 500,000 units, so I guess there would still be some people playing the game.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ugh for real: With the reveal that it is Nintendo who mainly has a hand in choosing the DLC (even if it is still Sakurai's decisioj on who hw wants to make into a fighter), along with all the points in Rex's favor from a commercial and critical standpoint; it really does not bode well for Elma does it? -_-

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Ugh for real: With the reveal that it is Nintendo who mainly has a hand in choosing the DLC (even if it is still Sakurai's decisioj on who hw wants to make into a fighter), along with all the points in Rex's favor from a commercial and critical standpoint; it really does not bode well for Elma does it? -_-
It still seems like the DLC fighters were chosen a while ago. I'd honestly be shocked if Rex & Pyra are one of those 5 DLC fighters; Sakurai deconfirmed them, more or less. He wasn't talking about just the base game. I'm not sure it makes much difference knowing Nintendo made the selection. It'd make sense having Elma be on the list as she's the most important character from one of the biggest Wii U titles. If this selection happened in 2015 or 2016, Rex's current popularity is completely irrelevant.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It still seems like the DLC fighters were chosen a while ago. I'd honestly be shocked if Rex & Pyra are one of those 5 DLC fighters; Sakurai deconfirmed them, more or less. He wasn't talking about just the base game. I'm not sure it makes much difference knowing Nintendo made the selection. It'd make sense having Elma be on the list as she's the most important character from one of the biggest Wii U titles. If this selection happened in 2015 or 2016, Rex's current popularity is completely irrelevant.
It still stings when people on subreddits, ganefaqs and other places say Rex has more chances what with how much XC2 sold. It alsi depends when the DLC lineup was finalized because yeah I know this stuff takes a lot of planning and prepraring but it depends again on the timeframe.

Then there is Elma's popularity as far as casuals and hardcore players go. I mean yeah she is far from an obscure character but compared to Rex, she is barely in anyone's radar.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It still stings when people on subreddits, ganefaqs and other places say Rex has more chances what with how much XC2 sold. It alsi depends when the DLC lineup was finalized because yeah I know this stuff takes a lot of planning and prepraring but it depends again on the timeframe.

Then there is Elma's popularity as far as casuals and hardcore players go. I mean yeah she is far from an obscure character but compared to Rex, she is barely in anyone's radar.
That doesn't mean anything about the actual game. Look at how people were all expecting Decidueye, and if Vergeben didn't actually leaked Incineroar I can guarantee that NOBODY would have saw that cat coming.
At this point I just can't wait to see Elma revealed and see al the extreme reactions because "WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPENING?!?!?" when we over here knew that Elma always had a strong chance.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't mean anything about the actual game. Look at how people were all expecting Decidueye, and if Vergeben didn't actually leaked Incineroar I can guarantee that NOBODY would have saw that cat coming.
At this point I just can't wait to see Elma revealed and see al the extreme reactions because "WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPENING?!?!?" when we over here knew that Elma always had a strong chance.
Preach brother. This community has such an awful case of tunnel vision and confirmation bias.

I am so ready for the Rex/Pyra salt if Elma arrives, it'll be delicious.

CyberSkies

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronax_master
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304
Preach brother. This community has such an awful case of tunnel vision and confirmation bias.

I am so ready for Sakurai to pull the rug out from under everyone with three new FE reps, goomba, and a gen 8 pokemon

fr tho if you honestly think Rex/Pyra have a better chance then Elma I'd advise you check yourself for the evidence is kind of stacked against you.
It's currently 1:35 am and I haven't gotten any sleep and I completely misread your post i am so sorry.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yo can we cut the fighting fire with fire?

Like I get that as a fan you feel Elma is being disrespected. But it's a character, wtf is with the vitriol?

So...Rex/Pyra are supposedly disconfirmed (though we don't know if it's "hard" disconfirmation since there's a bunch of character costumes and we don't know what the Spirit sitch is), and there's still a lot of noise by high profile people and large fanbases about their posibility in DLC...well...

Who cares? If you're annoyed that people are brushing over your favourite game then why are you doing the same back to them?

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer X, and I'm not even sure if I have it in me to put in for Torna since I couldn't bother to finish 2. But I'm still not laughing in the face of other fans in the hope that they get trheir hopes crushed...

Last edited:

CyberSkies

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronax_master
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304

Like I get that as a fan you feel Elma is being disrespected. But it's a character, wtf is with the vitriol?

So...Rex/Pyra are supposedly disconfirmed (though we don't know if it's "hard" disconfirmation since there's a bunch of character costumes and we don't know what the Spirit sitch is), and there's still a lot of noise by high profile people and large fanbases about their posibility in DLC...well...

Who cares? If you're annoyed that people are brushing over your favourite game then why are you doing the same back to them?

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer X, and I'm not even sure if I have it in me to put in for Torna since I couldn't bother to finish 2. But I'm still not laughing in the face of other fans in the hope that they get trheir hopes crushed...
I'm honestly just scouting out the characters I think are most likely and trying to work with the facts/evidence and rn with what we know Elma has the best chance of any character to get in as dlc. Like hands down, most characters don't even have any evidence to support them but we have the lucky evidence of XCX2 in the likely future and the lack of any X content in the game. I just kinda hope Sakurai chills it with the 3rd parties tho...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I agree. While I prefer Elma, I would LOVE to see Rex and Pyra in Smash, especially with an Addam and Mythra echo, because I love both games.
And while seeing Elma being ignored this hard might be bothering (heck in their discussion GameXPlain bring up Mike Jones and Donkey Kong Jr. while they don't even mention XCX) it doesn't impact in the slightest Elma's chances of being one of those 5.
I'm just waiting for the moment I can bring out all my past tweets and posts about how people shouldn't brush off Elma as a possible Smash newcomer and say "Told'ya" to all the shocked people (and I do not mean the salty XC2 fans, I mean just people that never thought Elma had a single chance and might even be happy about her, like Jon from GameXPlain who is also a big XCX fan even tho he completely ignored Elma so far).

I'm honestly just scouting out the characters I think are most likely and trying to work with the facts/evidence and rn with what we know Elma has the best chance of any character to get in as dlc. Like hands down, most characters don't even have any evidence to support them but we have the lucky evidence of XCX2 in the likely future and the lack of any X content in the game. I just kinda hope Sakurai chills it with the 3rd parties tho...
Personally I would say that Elma and Bandana Dee have the best shot at the moment. Both are big characters for their series (Elma is the main protagonist of XCX, Bandana Dee is the 4th main character of Kirby) that are yet to be seen in any form. No stages, no music, no AT, no Mii Costumes and so on.
Aslo the fact that Nintendo themself are proposing characters to Sakurai should indicate that FP will take priority over TP this time, probably due to how costly bringing 10 guests in the base game was already (especially Cloud probably was quite expensive since most SE characters are more easely licensed as DLC due to sharing the profits rather than being included in the base game, look at 2B in SoulCalibur 6 or Thief Arthur in SNK Heroines).

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Mmyeah. That's really gonna be a cause for memes about how Elma "came out of nowhere" when she's confirmed. That one image I posted a while ago, with Elma going "It's Mira, I ain't got to explain ****" is one I can already see being thrown around a lot.

Yeah, as much I as I couldn't stand. . . well, pretty much everything from 2, I try my best to refrain from taking too many jabs towards fans of 2, at least in regards to Smash. There just needs to be some level of civility that's kept, otherwise the discussion isn't fun for anyone.
That said, you'll never get me to call 2 a good game.

Last edited:

CyberSkies

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronax_master
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304
Personally I would say that Elma and Bandana Dee have the best shot at the moment. Both are big characters for their series (Elma is the main protagonist of XCX, Bandana Dee is the 4th main character of Kirby) that are yet to be seen in any form. No stages, no music, no AT, no Mii Costumes and so on.
Aslo the fact that Nintendo themself are proposing characters to Sakurai should indicate that FP will take priority over TP this time, probably due to how costly bringing 10 guests in the base game was already (especially Cloud probably was quite expensive since most SE characters are more easely licensed as DLC due to sharing the profits rather than being included in the base game, look at 2B in SoulCalibur 6 or Thief Arthur in SNK Heroines).
I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't want Sakurai getting a lot of completely new third parties which is why the only third party newcomers are Simon and Richter since they already had to go to Konami for Snake.

Yeah, as much I as I couldn't stand. . . well, pretty much everything from 2, I try my best to refrain from taking too many jabs towards fans of 2, at least in regards to Smash. There just needs to be some level of civility that's kept, otherwise the discussion isn't fun for anyone.
That said, you'll never get me to call 2 a good game.
Mmmh, same... XC2 leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I understand why it's popular...

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't mind Rex and Pyra in Smash at all, I think they could bring some very interesting things to the table. My schadenfreude would be from watching people get stuck in their tunnel vision again and get BTFO when they ignore all evidence contrary to their expectations (cough Grinch Leak cough).

You're right though, I'm not really one to kick 'em when they're down. If Elma does get revealed I'm not gonna give 'em grief over it.

Top Bottom