• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I think that at the least, this means nothing and doesn't have any impact on Elma's chances. At the most, the Xenoblade content floodgates have been flung open! :p

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Objective truth.

Also, if we do get a Direct this week with Elma in it, who do you guys think would be revealed alongside her (not in the same trailer, just somewhere in the Direct)?
Ken and Shadow as Echoes + Geno? I guess

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So Shulk is today’s blog update.

I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing but it seems that they finally gave something for Xenoblade.

If Elma joins soon................ good things will happen.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Found it!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ikely_is_it_for_xenobladex_representation_in/

Well ****, looks like I was wrong about the vocalist. I mistook her for Yoko Shimomura, who I just now remembered is a popular music composer. I think they were just comparing Sawano's mystery recording session to hers, and how that Discord group found out it was for Smash.

Double Edit: Not even a discord, just a Reddit user who claimed Yoko is working on Smash.
She is working on Smash. She's the arrangement supervisor of the remix of Vega's theme.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
【Today's Memories】 57: Shulk The main character of "Xenoblade" released in 2010. Using the vision (future vision), we save many colleagues of our colleagues. Since there is a dull place in the woman's mind, it would be nice if we could see the relationship between women as well.

That was the Shulk Memory. Am I the only one confused on what that means?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hopefully we do get Elma for the base roster. Speaking of Elma, what must her alternate costumes be?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Hopefully we do get Elma for the base roster. Speaking of Elma, what must her alternate costumes be?
I'm conflicted on the spoiler costume, on the one hand it works so well but on the other it is a massive spoiler, I know we got Sheik, Lucina and Fiora but it feels like an even bigger spoiler than those.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm conflicted on the spoiler costume, on the one hand it works so well but on the other it is a massive spoiler, I know we got Sheik, Lucina and Fiora but it feels like an even bigger spoiler than those.
Then again look at Jade Face’s trophy in 4, Palutena’s trailer casually name dropping the chaos kin, and of course Lucas’s brawl trophy description

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
On the spoiler Elma costume topic. If X2 continues on with X's characters, spoiler Elma will most likely on the box art. At which point is it really a spoiler if X2 exists.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Then again look at Jade Face’s trophy in 4, Palutena’s trailer casually name dropping the chaos kin, and of course Lucas’s brawl trophy description
I mean you're not wrong but it feels wrong to so directly spoil literally the final cutscene of a 70+ hour game, especially if they do make a port which would bring in a lot of new players.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Shulk being featured on the boog doesn't mean anything bad for us, since both DK and Villager were featured before KKR and Isabelle.

And Samus was also featured 2 days before Dark Samus was revealed. This might very well be our time as Xenoblade week.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. haven't played Xenoblade 2 yet. but is there anything in her moveset that involves "changing status?" heard something about an overdrive system but not sure if that is in the same vein.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Quick question. haven't played Xenoblade 2 yet. but is there anything in her moveset that involves "changing status?" heard something about an overdrive system but not sure if that is in the same vein.
You mean Xenoblade X?
Anyway Overdrive is more a huge power up (in game they "reach their body's limit") rather that changing stats like how Shulk does with the Monado. With that said Overdrive would be more suited for a Final Smash or a mechanic similar to Cloud's Limit Break for balacing reasons.
And another thing Elma might have in her moveset is a weapon switch, but that isn't just a "changing status" since the moveset would also change.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, Shulk's finally here - now all we need is an actual Smash news blow-out being revealed. I really don't wanna wait any longer. . .

Though that does remind me. One thing I keep thinking to myself is that while Fiora being added to Shulk's Final Smash really kinda breaks the rules of having an active party of three characters in the original Xenoblade. . .
Having four party members is kinda X' thing.

First off, small correction: Elma's from X, not from 2. She does make an appearance in 2, but nothing relating to the story.

Overdrive is essentially a super mode in X. By activating it, players can chain together their player character's arts to increase their power and recharge time, among other things. If it gets incorporated into Elma's Smash moveset at all outside of a Final Smash, it's gonna be more akin to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breath, I'd wager.
As for any other changing status, changing between long-range and short-range weapons is a big mechanic in X, but Sakurai would have to do a lot of mental gymnastics in order to stretch that into a system like Shulk's Monado Arts.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
right, X not 2 :p I'm tired. also having the second game you make in the series not be X and then the 3rd game be numbered 2 is confusing. granted makes sense timeline wise.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Well, XC2 spoiled all of XC1, but not immediately. I don't really think XCX2 will be a direct sequel to XCX. I see them going further down the timeline, at least 10-15 years.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well, XC2 spoiled all of XC1, but not immediately. I don't really think XCX2 will be a direct sequel to XCX. I see them going further down the timeline, at least 10-15 years.
I think a direct sequel makes more sense, the game did end on a massive cliffhanger after all and I'd like some more development of those characters since they didn't get a lot in the original

aarchak

Smash Ace
I think a direct sequel makes more sense, the game did end on a massive cliffhanger after all and I'd like some more development of those characters since they didn't get a lot in the original
I would like that too, since there were a LOT of questions at the end of XCX, least of which the story cliffhanger. Like everything about Mira is still a giant question that I have a crackpot theory for, and there are things like Yelv's mim, the Samaarians, the Ghost faction, etc.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I think Elma for the base roster and Rex for DLC is the most likely scenario in regards to new Xenoblade reps. And before people say Xenoblade can't get two characters, Kid Icarus has only gotten three games as well and has more representation than Xenoblade currently. And yeah, Sakurai bias and all that, but this is the same man that loved Xenoblade 2.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
MRW when people ask "why does this D list character get in before Geno?" When talking about Elma

IMG_6195.JPG

Meme courtesy of @ElmasAdvice on Twitter

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
That moment when someone made a mod of Elma over ZSS in Sm4sh and someone posted an image in a Discord without context. I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions for sure.

Dpl9il1VAAAzWlD.jpg
Dpl9lOzV4AANZj5.jpg
Dpl9cd4U0AAQn7b.jpg

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77101355

I don’t know if this means anything, but if it does....and we just got Shulk’s character trailer...

It’s probably me just grasping for hope, but it’s still interesting
The exact time of when this is supposed to happen DOES line up with the exact time when the last Direct started. So in that regard, it's already promising.

MRW when people ask "why does this D list character get in before Geno?" When talking about Elma

View attachment 170063
Heh, that's a good image to add to this "collection".

Well then, less than half an hour to go. . .
Seems like a good time to dig up this old image:

Let's just hope that there'll be an opportunity to use it.

Edit: Oh, and also this image.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

View attachment 170063
You know. I've flip-flopped on Geno before. He is a cool character on his own merits, but his fans can be really obnoxious at times. They always blow his significance way out of proportion and act like he's on the same level as Ridley and K. Rool when they're major villains and he's just a side character that appeared in one spin-off game over twenty years ago. A small part of me hopes that he doesn't get in.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You know. I've flip-flopped on Geno before. He is a cool character on his own merits, but his fans can be really obnoxious at times. They always blow his significance way out of proportion and act like he's on the same level as Ridley and K. Rool when they're major villains and he's just a side character that appeared in one spin-off game over twenty years ago. A small part of me hopes that he doesn't get in.
TBH I agree. While there are some fans who are great people and I would hope for them to receive their most wanted, there are a lot that tend to overstate his "importance". Heck even putting him on a higher tier than Elma is a ipocritical mistake since one is the actual main character of a JRPG game in a JRPG series, while the other is one of the party members (not even the protagonist, in fact I don't think he is that more prominent than Mallow) of a 20+ years old spin off.
Plus from what I could understand his support his either for moveset potential (which is fair) and "muh nostalgia". Nostalgia is great but I will never support Absol because "muh Pokémon Mystery Dungeon nostalgia".

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Today's post was Marshadow. Marshadow's Japanese name auto-translated to Mercury. Know what Mercury is? Not even a distant land it's a whole different planet. Elma confirmed. Watch as we get Black Tar tomorrow to confirm it.

I know I say "Maybe we'll get Xeno content this week" every week, but this week it actually happened!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Geno and Elma are both top 3 characters for me, so *shrug*

Super Mario RPG I do think is a pretty important game for the Mario franchise, for being one of the first games to really take the Mario franchise in a daring direction beyond the typical platformer formula it had; before Super Mario RPg the only spin off stuff was a kart racer and some lame educational stuff (maybe I'm forgetting something?). It was this game that started the whole Mario RPG sub series that would persist to this day (albeit with less well received titles in recent times...). We already have a bunch of characters to represent the platformer side of Mario, why not have a character ti represent the RPG side? And from the perspective, why not add a character from the very first RPG? And the one that had one of the bigger or perhaps even biggest role in that game, that character being Geno?

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
TBH I agree. While there are some fans who are great people and I would hope for them to receive their most wanted, there are a lot that tend to overstate his "importance". Heck even putting him on a higher tier than Elma is a ipocritical mistake since one is the actual main character of a JRPG game in a JRPG series, while the other is one of the party members (not even the protagonist, in fact I don't think he is that more prominent than Mallow) of a 20+ years old spin off.
Plus from what I could understand his support his either for moveset potential (which is fair) and "muh nostalgia". Nostalgia is great but I will never support Absol because "muh Pokémon Mystery Dungeon nostalgia".
I agree if we're talking "importance." Geno isn't important, for the reasons you stated.

However, he's been a highly requested character. Sakurai has acknowledged his popularity and said he wanted to add Geno to Brawl.

Further, Geno had a mii costume in Smash For, of which Sakurai has mentioned he gave certain characters costumes so their fans would have something, as did other popular characters such as KKR, Inkling, and Isabelle, who are all now playable. He's also been requested for as long as KKR and Ridley.

While he's not as important as Elma, like her, it's fair to say he has a good chance of getting in, too, only heightened by the fact Verge said we'd get a Square rep (assuming he's right and Geno is that rep).

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I agree if we're talking "importance." Geno isn't important, for the reasons you stated.

However, he's been a highly requested character. Sakurai has acknowledged his popularity and said he wanted to add Geno to Brawl.

Further, Geno had a mii costume in Smash For, of which Sakurai has mentioned he gave certain characters costumes so their fans would have something, as did other popular characters such as KKR, Inkling, and Isabelle, who are all now playable. He's also been requested for as long as KKR and Ridley.

While he's not as important as Elma, like her, it's fair to say he has a good chance of getting in, too, only heightened by the fact Verge said we'd get a Square rep (assuming he's right and Geno is that rep).
Of course, I never said or wanted to hint that Geno has no chance. On the contrary I think this is his best shot at getting into Smash.
What I was referring to was the tendency of his fans (not all of course, but a bigger than it should be part) to consider him a shoe-in and an important character, to the point they try to shoot down other characters like our own Elma because she isn't as "deserving". Support whoever you want, but don't try to put down other characters just in order to make your pick look better/likelier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom