• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My favorite Xenoblade X valentine is one of Irina stone-facing the camera with "You're not Elma" in large comic sans.

But this one is sweet. :)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well then, with the Direct and Valentine's Day outta the way, who's up for keeping an eye on Caitlin Glass' Twitter to see if at some point we get some clarification on what she meant?

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Btw, you should all try the deamon x machina demo, it's pretty damn good, it kinda gives the feel of a skell fight
I've had an X vibe from this game for awhile - even the drumbeats in the music sound like X's

That being said, not sure what I think to Daemon x Machina yet - need more time with the demo me thinks

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Right? The Switch has been a nice enough replacement for the 3DS, but I'm still waiting on a home console.
In all seriousness, let's all hope for some great announcements. Need some more info on Animal Crossing for sure.

I thought the Switch was the NX? It's basically a hybrid between a home console and a portable console, so why would Nintendo bother making another home console right now? It would take away the sales of the Switch if they did that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmmm

Since it’s understood I think that a Smash specific direct will be in April...

What if we get Elma announced first, and then an X Switch port at E3...?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hmmm

Since it’s understood I think that a Smash specific direct will be in April...

What if we get Elma announced first, and then an X Switch port at E3...?
Not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I mean, with Joker in Smash and signs pointing heavily at Persona 5 coming to Switch, and Animal Crossing Switch being announced after Isabelle was revealed, I'd see that happening.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh, Caitlin Glass’s “Good Things Are Coming” tweet? Here’s the follow up:
I do not think that has any correlation to the NDA role she auditioned for a while back tho...the NDA thing could still be Elma

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I do not think that has any correlation to the NDA role she auditioned for a while back tho...the NDA thing could still be Elma
I pray it is because Elma would be a ******* addition to Ultimate. :)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Caitlin I love you.

But why must’ve you hyped it on the day right before the direct.

REEE!

D

Deleted member

THE DREAM IS DEAD (not really it isn't but let me be overdramatic ok)

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Dang, that was fantastically timed. I'm happy for her role in a project that shes so passionate about.

As for the NDA role I think we could role this out as not it since her role for the NDA way voice acting.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, guess we're falling back on previous points like her NDA role, then. At least she didn't keep this here a secret for much longer.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I've had an X vibe from this game for awhile - even the drumbeats in the music sound like X's

That being said, not sure what I think to Daemon X Machina yet - need more time with the demo me thinks
Does anyone else here have an opinion of this game? I've mostly heard people talking pretty positively about it aside from frame rate issues, and then today I heard a few people say they thought the demo was bad. I finally got a chance to try it, and I'll say the gameplay reminds me more of Starlink than Xenoblade X due to using primarily the two triggers to attack. Homing is so strong it was hard to dodge things and little thought was needed when attacking. I don't like how you're locked in a completely boring room except for when you're going on missions and confined to a certain area. It's almost like if you were only ever allowed to do Squad Missions in Xenoblade X, but the Barracks, missions, and combat are much more interesting than their counterparts in the DXM demo. I know it is only the beginning, and the full game will be (far) more polished, but it didn't exactly give me a good first impression. I'll probably wait to see what people say about it in reviews of the full game... I want to like this a lot because it has an awesome style. If it doesn't turn out to be my thing, hopefully XCX2 isn't too far off.

Astral Chain on the other hand looks beyond incredible. That trailer is SO well put together, I'll never get tired of watching it. I especially like the duo protagonists and how they yell things in unison. I wonder what their relationship is. Siblings?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Good lord please be true! We all want Elma!!!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Caitlin is aware we want Elma at least. Even she wants Elma in Smash.

I think to kill the time I should DEFINITELY start a new X game on a separate HDD and try to finish the story before April

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Does anyone else here have an opinion of this game? I've mostly heard people talking pretty positively about it aside from frame rate issues, and then today I heard a few people say they thought the demo was bad. I finally got a chance to try it, and I'll say the gameplay reminds me more of Starlink than Xenoblade X due to using primarily the two triggers to attack. Homing is so strong it was hard to dodge things and little thought was needed when attacking. I don't like how you're locked in a completely boring room except for when you're going on missions and confined to a certain area. It's almost like if you were only ever allowed to do Squad Missions in Xenoblade X, but the Barracks, missions, and combat are much more interesting than their counterparts in the DXM demo. I know it is only the beginning, and the full game will be (far) more polished, but it didn't exactly give me a good first impression. I'll probably wait to see what people say about it in reviews of the full game... I want to like this a lot because it has an awesome style. If it doesn't turn out to be my thing, hopefully XCX2 isn't too far off.

Astral Chain on the other hand looks beyond incredible. That trailer is SO well put together, I'll never get tired of watching it. I especially like the duo protagonists and how they yell things in unison. I wonder what their relationship is. Siblings?
Frame rate is a definite issue. I think your Starlink comparison hits the nail on the head - that being said, Starlink is truly open world, whereas DXM seems to be mission-based. I think the X comparisons and connections I've been making have made me assume this game would be 'relatively' open world, but it seems like you get dumped in set locations to just shoot stuff, and given its framerate, I don't think I can justify that for a game where the main mechanic is shooting. The only X comparison I can make now is that both games use 'Skells', other than that it seems like a generic third person shooter with a quirky, interesting artstyle, but with a framerate that spoils it (in my experience, it tanks)

Astral Chain looks promising to me - it obviously doesn't have the combat mechanics of X, but the graphical style, environments and music all tick the X boxes for me, especially the music! I also think that the game might be open world, given one part of the trailer looks like the protagonist is walking into a civilian area. Need to see definitive gameplay though, but it looks more promising to me than DXM at the moment.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I thought the DXM demo was a blast, and the world gives me good Freedom Wars vibes. Just fun stuff and loving the customization. I do wish it was more open world or the hangar had more to do, even if you could just talk to the NPCs. Astral Chain should be my jam as well so I'm definitely getting both.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
Frame rate is a definite issue. I think your Starlink comparison hits the nail on the head - that being said, Starlink is truly open world, whereas DXM seems to be mission-based. I think the X comparisons and connections I've been making have made me assume this game would be 'relatively' open world, but it seems like you get dumped in set locations to just shoot stuff, and given its framerate, I don't think I can justify that for a game where the main mechanic is shooting. The only X comparison I can make now is that both games use 'Skells', other than that it seems like a generic third person shooter with a quirky, interesting artstyle, but with a framerate that spoils it (in my experience, it tanks)

Astral Chain looks promising to me - it obviously doesn't have the combat mechanics of X, but the graphical style, environments and music all tick the X boxes for me, especially the music! I also think that the game might be open world, given one part of the trailer looks like the protagonist is walking into a civilian area. Need to see definitive gameplay though, but it looks more promising to me than DXM at the moment.
I dont think it's fair to complain about the framerate of a demo of a game that is supposed to come out in december... that's 100% going to get fixed

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now, but if XCX is getting a port, when do you guys think they started reworking it for the switch? Do you think it would take longer than trying to port bayonetta 1+2? Which teams would of been working on it? Finally how long do you think it'd take for them to port it?

As for the DXM I thought it was fun, I wish they had a way to let you know they were out of rockets but other than that good game. Astral chain looks fantastic as well (kind of hoping it was SMT 5 for a second) but I'm glad that Platinum was working on something other than Bayo three. Also why doesn't America get a collector edition of astral chain?

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I dont think it's fair to complain about the framerate of a demo of a game that is supposed to come out in december... that's 100% going to get fixed
Hopefully it does, and I'm certainly not suggesting this is indicative of the games' final quality, but as a first impression it does deter me, or at least clouds my overall judgement of the gameplay. The game hasn't grabbed me yet like I thought it would.

Again, I'm not saying poor framerate makes a game bad (I'm a huge XC2 fan), but when the gameplay is centered around shooting, I need at least 30fps.

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now, but if XCX is getting a port, when do you guys think they started reworking it for the switch? Do you think it would take longer than trying to port bayonetta 1+2? Which teams would of been working on it? Finally how long do you think it'd take for them to port it?

As for the DXM I thought it was fun, I wish they had a way to let you know they were out of rockets but other than that good game. Astral chain looks fantastic as well (kind of hoping it was SMT 5 for a second) but I'm glad that Platinum was working on something other than Bayo three. Also why doesn't America get a collector edition of astral chain?
Literally no idea how long it would take to port, but given that they used the same engine for XC2, it technically already exists on the Switch. X took a long time to develop originally, since it's such a big game, plus they would have to rework the gamepad integration, although I think it was only for the map system if I remember correctly. Either way, I hope it's happening and coming soon :)

Astral Chain is looking awesome - just watched the Gamexplain analysis and I'm interested in how the 2nd character (legion) controls/works. It gives me a huge X vibe and I'm hoping that an X sequel will look as good as this - obviously not expecting it to be an action game, but visually I hope it captures the same feeling.

As for DXM..... I think I'm being stricter with this given the number of games I'm interested in/amount of money I need to save this year. I would say day one buy, but right now DMC5, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Pokemon, Zelda, MK11 (and numerous others) are taking the biscuit right now.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
TBH I didn't notice any frame rate drop in DxM, but I'm terrible at spotting those because since I was a child I always assumed those were "cool slowdown effects", especially in action games.
Nonetheless I had a great time with the demo, so I can't wait for the full game.
Man, between Mario Maker 2, DxM, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain this will be an heck of a summer.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
TBH I didn't notice any frame rate drop in DxM, but I'm terrible at spotting those because since I was a child I always assumed those were "cool slowdown effects", especially in action games.
Nonetheless I had a great time with the demo, so I can't wait for the full game.
Man, between Mario Maker 2, DxM, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain this will be an heck of a summer.
Funnily enough, I noticed it going from Melee to Brawl - or Brawl trailers, I should say. It concerned me because Brawl looked slower than Melee (in terms of graphical 'speed') in trailers, but the actual game was running at the same speed.

It used to bug me that loads of Xbox 360 games ran at 30fps as well...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Had another dream Elma was in Smash last night... she was battling on Battlefield and for some reason had an overdrive mechanic...

God I need her in Smash soon jrkrjfnekjfnejejsn

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's basicallly non-news but April's issue of Nintendo Dream will come with a sticker book of some kind. 300 stickers.

Only one of them matters though.

no elma too small to post says i

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Had another dream Elma was in Smash last night... she was battling on Battlefield and for some reason had an overdrive mechanic...

God I need her in Smash soon jrkrjfnekjfnejejsn
I had a dream a couple weeks back that Elma got in once but she could transform between her XCX self and her XC2 self as her down-b but there were no changes or anything so it made no sense as to why they did it and people got so unreasonably angry that they modded her out of the game on Nintendo's servers (?????) so nobody could ever play as her ever again

It was a weird-ass dream to say the least

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I had a dream a few nights ago that I remember nothing about, except that "The key we lost" was playing in it. Changing from XCX to XC2 Elma is definitely odd when the only difference in their models is the head and everything else is just modified textures.

What is Nintendo dream, some sort of magazine?
Yeah, a Japanese Nintendo-focused magazine. It normally gets pack-ins like FE Cipher cards with each issue.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I feel like the biggest oof that could happen (besides a Mii costume or something) is XCX music being added in the 3.0 update

The absence of XCX music is one of the biggest things going for Elma, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly I feel like the biggest oof that could happen is XCX music being added in the 3.0 update

The absence of XCX music is one of the biggest things going for Elma, after all.
Even so I don't think they'd add music standalone with an update...

though tbh I wouldn't mind if Sonic, FF, F-Zero and Street Fighter got some music added in such a manner,,,several tracks from those series I want missing...but it'd be a miracle if they even decide to add more FF music at all, let alone non-VII music

D

Deleted member

Even so I don't think they'd add music standalone with an update...

though tbh I wouldn't mind if Sonic, FF, F-Zero and Street Fighter got some music added in such a manner,,,several tracks from those series I want missing...but it'd be a miracle if they even decide to add more FF music at all, let alone non-VII music
I mean if they do add XCX music and Elma's not in then it's really better then nothing

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I could see them adding some assorted content with each major update, like music & spirits not necessarily connected to the Fighter Pack. But they'd either need to be new or things that they received a fair bit of blowback for not including. I think XCX music could barely make it in as the latter, assuming there aren't any other factors.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of course, really getting tired of these "Boy who cried wolf" situations.

In all seriousness though, it's pretty rad that Fruits Basket has gotten a new adaptation, I stopped hoping it would happen years ago.

Top Bottom