• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Man... it's hard not to get excited for anything Xenoblade X or Elma-related...

But we gotta keep our expectations in check guys.

We don't wanna fall into the same traps that many other fanbases have.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I'm a hype man even if I get burned.
Even if the chances are low I can't stop feeling it.
I'm a heartbreaker, my name is Charles.

ELMA FOR SMASH and Xenoblade X port GO!!!

Last edited:

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
Honestly i dont think elma will be revealed in this direct, we already know that the character after joker is "brave" who is probably erdrick (i dont remember how to spell that), i just think now would be a great time to announce a xcx port.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
They could always have parameters for "Brave" but release the character itself at a time they deem "better."
But who knows?

I'm banking on a Smash reveal, though. Or maybe a Smash direct date announcement.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm very cold on Elma's chances for DLC, but I'm very hot on the idea of an X port or sequel. Yeah, I want her in Smash (obviously) but I'm keeping THOSE expectations in check...

But...to be able to visit Mira again with fresh eyes...that's gonna be wonderful.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
True, remember Isaac fans when the screenshot was released?
Let's not talk about it :(

Honestly i dont think elma will be revealed in this direct, we already know that the character after joker is "brave" who is probably erdrick (i dont remember how to spell that), i just think now would be a great time to announce a xcx port.
I don't think either, Vergeben is now backing Erdrick, after all those rumors. However, we may have two DLC characters announced at the same time, nobody ever said it must be one by one.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think I'm also lucky in that I think DQ really deserves a spot in Smash and I love retro reps, which Erdrick would be to me. Of course, he's not even in my most-wanted unlike Elma.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
TBH, speaking of Smash, all I can see is a gameplay for Joker and maybe a release window. I really doubt they will reveal the next fighter now, it just feels too soon when two months ago they didn't even had a model for Joker, and the DLC will last until 2020.

But I'm feeling confident in a X port, so let's rock and roll!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's not talk about it :(

I don't think either, Vergeben is now backing Erdrick, after all those rumors. However, we may have two DLC characters announced at the same time, nobody ever said it must be one by one.
After all, Lucas and Mewtwo were revealed at the same time in April-May 2015 for Smash 4, as were Roy and Ryu for E3, and Corrin and Bayonetta for the final Smash 4 direct. Only DLC character revealed stand-alone was Cloud in October.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, I also think that Elma being revealed in this Direct is a "Too good to be true" kinda thing. But still, we can hope, especially with Caitlin Glass' tweet.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hey guys. Just looking here for a bit before the "moment of truth".

I don't think we will get much when it comes to Smash. Honestly im only really expecting Joker and maybe maaaaaayyyybe a little teaser at the end. Hoping for an X-Port on Switch. I wanted to restart the game for the longest time but everytime im like "nah, there will probably a Switch-Version soon".

Anyway keep the dream alive guys.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Whatever happens. We’re in this together.

We’re the Elma Gang.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No expectations, no disappointment. Here we go.

edit: no expectations, some disappointment.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm hype for Astral Chains, Daemon X Machina demo and Mario Maker 2!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guess we gotta wait a little while longer for our XCX port announcement...

...but on the plus side, some of the stuff we saw was pretty good. I mean, I've dreamed of having Dead by Daylight on the Switch. Exclusive SA-X killer when?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Alright, let's pull out the unrealistically optimistic tinfol hat! With how ridicilously short that Smash segment was, and them outright announcing version 3.0 (as opposed to just dropping 2.0. . .), maybe there's a new Smash Direct coming up? And, for the big tinfoil hat, what if Caitlin Glass thought that there would be something revealed today, since she doesn't know the specifics, and the thing she was talking about was actually for the Smash Direct?
. . .Hey, someone has to say something optimistic. . .

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
I guess we just have to wait a few more days to see if caitlin glass updates that statement made on twitter, it was probably just an anime after all... man what an unlucky timing to tweet something like that

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Or, Caitlin says nothing and stays mum about it until April, or whenever the next Direct is...

also y'know what i JUST realized

Xenoblade X released in Japan in April

Maybe they'll drop X Ultimate in April and WHAM, Elma with it

they DID say April was the month for Smash, after all...

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
with the release of Joker in April Nintendo will probably annouce the second fighter.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
with the release of Joker in April Nintendo will probably annouce the second fighter.
Oh yeah, you might be onto something! Also, if they announced the 3.0 Update like this, then maybe we might get a new Smash Bros Direct sometime in March. Maybe before March 20th (The first day of Spring this year) or after, regardless, hopefully we'll get a new Smash Direct in that time.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Ha

Existence is PAIN

I thought Astral Chain would be X2 for a split second

I thought Animal Crossing was going to be here... welp, its coma time

D

Deleted member

hey this direct was ok i guess, aside from the lack of xcx

astral chains, link's awakening, fire emblem, and mua3 all look hype

and I'll bet you that a new character will be revealed before April, considering the big stir they were making with version 3.0.0.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm gonna say though, Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain, WOW. That is scratching my XCX itch big time even if I want it ported. And my second favorite Zelda game remastered beautifully?! AND my number two most-wanted port, Mario Maker, is getting an entire sequel?? Plus Joker's model! I'm so satisfied with this direct...

...but of course, the Elma gang is ready to rise up! Smash Direct when?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm gonna say though, Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain, WOW. That is scratching my XCX itch big time even if I want it ported. And my second favorite Zelda game remastered beautifully?! AND my number two most-wanted port, Mario Maker, is getting an entire sequel?? Plus Joker's model! I'm so satisfied with this direct...

...but of course, the Elma gang is ready to rise up! Smash Direct when?
Too bad my number-one most wanted port didn't get announced (yet again), but at least stuff from it is being used in an upcoming game, so that's nice.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Astral Chains looks like my new favorite thing. I haven't felt that level of hype since the original reveal of Gravity Rush. If I didn't own a Switch, I would've bought it today.

Also, how's Daemon X? When is the demo no longer available? I won't be able to use the Switch until tomorrow.

The Direct was filled with pleasant surprises. There's still plenty of time to focus on Smash Bros. later, and I'm glad they threw us a bone. For now, we gotta play the waiting game. Though for whatever reason, I feel like an X port (and/or sequel) seems more likely one day.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
And thats about it for this direct. I thought it was good. But don't tell the people on the Switch-Subreddit because it was apparently the worst direct ever (so basicly every direct after it finished. Jesus people need to learn to keep their expectations realistic).

Astral Chains looked pretty interesting. I might keep an eye on it. And apparently we finally know what was up with that Star Fox Racinggame-Rumor. But sadly nothing Xenoblade- related.

I havent been on twitter yet but please god tell me that they leave Caitlin Glass alone. Because apparently her little tease was 100% nintendo-related (yes i saw 1 or 2 people complaining about why she did that even though it is painfully obvious that she never said anything about Nintendo, Smash or Xenoblade....)

But on a positive note: i saw some of the answers to her tweet before the direct and i was surprised how many people wanted it to be Elma in Smash (my favorite was "Don't play with my Elma-love"). Made me pretty happy to see this.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And thats about it for this direct. I thought it was good. But don't tell the people on the Switch-Subreddit because it was apparently the worst direct ever (so basicly every direct after it finished. Jesus people need to learn to keep their expectations realistic).
Gonna lay this out here: the biggest news are saved for big events like E3 and the VGAs. For a private event like this, you don't expect much.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Here is a small Elma to help us all in this trying time.

(thanks to https://twitter.com/Vargras/status/1095832124932927489 for uploading screenshots of the XB2 artbook; hopefully we get higher quality scans of it soon. I want to see more of Tanaka's art for Shulk, Fiora and Elma.)
Wow, that's cool!
Is the new XC2 Artbook out now? I forgot to pre-order it.

On a Direct note, did anyone else initially think that Astral Chain was Xenoblade X2?
Other than the art style, the music screamed Xenoblade to me. I'd be interested to see the composers for this.

EDIT: I've just seen some of the scans from Vargras - I'm buying this book NOW, wallet be damned (if I can find it)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wow, that's cool!
Is the new XC2 Artbook out now? I forgot to pre-order it.

On a Direct note, did anyone else initially think that Astral Chain was Xenoblade X2?
Other than the art style, the music screamed Xenoblade to me. I'd be interested to see the composers for this.
Oh no I absolutely thought it was either Xenoblade X 2 or Shin Megami Tensei 5. I was expecting a sudden devil appearance or Elma to show up. But I can't deny that Kamen Riders vs. Demons has me intrigued.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh no I absolutely thought it was either Xenoblade X 2 or Shin Megami Tensei 5. I was expecting a sudden devil appearance or Elma to show up. But I can't deny that Kamen Riders vs. Demons has me intrigued.
I briefly thought it might have been a new Sin & Punishment (danged chat flow comments), but my mind immediately clicked and guessed it was actually Platinum's new game. Sure enough, it was.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
Btw, you should all try the deamon x machina demo, it's pretty damn good, it kinda gives the feel of a skell fight

Top Bottom