• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they did have a Xeno Warriors they'd probably shaft X... but if they didn't Skells for X characters would be a neat gimmick for them. X might get less characters but make up for it in movesets with Skells that you can set per character. Then you can switch in and out of them on the field as needed; leave them in forts to refuel/recover, use them to compensate for a character's weakness etc. Some maps might start with them far away behind enemy forts and part of the challenge is reaching them. Some XB1/2 characters could have an equivalent in Face Mechon etc too.

2's cast would have Blades as their gimmick (each Driver gets a new moveset when they have a different Blade so naturally they end up with the most movesets) and 1's I guess would have Talent Arts. The Officer equivalent could be giant roaming enemies, mechs, drivers and unique monsters/tyrants. Xerns, Xe-doms, Territorial Rotbart, etc. Maybe the Zu Pharg could be a mobile fort? Honestly huge enemies, environments and mechs are all kind of Xeno signatures at this point even if to varying degrees.

My idea for the base roste (assuming it's Blade only at first);
XB1: 11
Shulk, Fiora (Homs version), Reyn, Dunban, Sharla, Riki, Melia
Unlocks: Fiora-Mechon, Face Nemesis, Mumkhar-Mechon, Metal Face

XB2: 15
Rex: Pyra, Mythra. Nia: Dromarch, Finch*. Tora: Poppi, Poppi QT. Zeke: Pandoria, Zenobia*. Morag: Brighid, Corvin*.
Unlocks: Rex+Nia (Blade), Poppi QT3.14, ability to use Dromarch/Pandoria/Brighid on Rex
*Any Rare Blade would do, honestly

XCX: 8
Elma, Lin, Lao, Nagi
Skells: Verus, Lailah, Mastema
Unlocks: Ares (skell)

DLC Pack #1: The Van-Pack (5)
Vangarre, Vandham (X), Vandham2+Roc.
Comes with Roc Blade for Rex and Amdusias Skell for XCX.
I’d throw in Yelv for XCX too myself because he is my Boi (tm) but other than that great picks!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One thing is for sure though

I hope one of Elma’s victory lines is “Strength comes from experience. That’s true, even in Smash.”

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Also, speaking of the new IP, I kinda hope it's a super traditional, party-focused turn based rpg a la Octopath Traveler. That's really the only RPG genre Nintendo is missing at this point (I know they have Pokemon but at this point it's its own thing entirely)
If I'm not mistaken, in Monolith's listing of who they were hiring for that game, it mentioned people experienced at real-time action-heavy combat. So, it seems it'll be more demanding than Xenoblade's combat. If they can make the combat mechanics interesting and engaging, I'll probably love it. I'm not against turn-based, but I wouldn't prefer it to be too traditional. There is a lot of room for innovation there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1087124601807691776?s=20

Welp, if anybody was still clinging to the idea of Rex being a Xenoblade DLC rep instead of Elma, it's over.
Maybe if there's more than one DLC season Rex could appear in a future season...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Funny he didn't say anything about Fiora tho...I voted for her. I even spearheaded a campaign for voting back in the day, surely the ballot influenced her at least being in Shulk's final smash...?

And hopefully X is still safe! Elma time LETS GOOOOOOOO~

D

Deleted member

Maybe if there's more than one DLC season Rex could appear in a future season...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Funny he didn't say anything about Fiora tho...I voted for her. I even spearheaded a campaign for voting back in the day, surely the ballot influenced her at least being in Shulk's final smash...?

And hopefully X is still safe! Elma time LETS GOOOOOOOO~
If there's future DLC, I would say Rex is pretty likely. I'm NEVER EVER considering any character a lock ever again (not since the November direct) but he's one of the prime contenders for it.

Also, Fiora would be hella sick. What if she got in and her FS was a Chain Attack with Melia, Sharla, and Reyn? I would be super into that (Reyn got robbed!) though I feel like her FS would be Sword, Cannon, or Gun Drones. Maybe even Final Cross!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If there's future DLC, I would say Rex is pretty likely. I'm NEVER EVER considering any character a lock ever again (not since the November direct) but he's one of the prime contenders for it.

Also, Fiora would be hella sick. What if she got in and her FS was a Chain Attack with Melia, Sharla, and Reyn? I would be super into that (Reyn got robbed!) though I feel like her FS would be Sword, Cannon, or Gun Drones. Maybe even Final Cross!
Maybe she'd do a Chain Attack like Shulk but with a red light instead of blue, and use Melia, Reyn, and surprise...Shulk. Yeah, I can see Shulk and Fiora doing a Fox and Falco FS thing with each other, but when Fiora's on the field, she won't appear in Shulk's final smash and vice versa just like the Team Star Fox boys. And she'd finish her Chain Attack with Final Cross to serve as a parallel to Shulk finishing his with Monado Buster.

As for Rex...maybe not Season 2, but Season 3 at the bare earliest. Depends on how many seasons, I can imagine 5 minimum. Weren't there like 30 datamined slots or something

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1087124601807691776?s=20

Welp, if anybody was still clinging to the idea of Rex being a Xenoblade DLC rep instead of Elma, it's over.
Hum. . . I better not say too much about this, because otherwise this thread could become "toxic" again. But I'll say that I don't particularly mind this.

Maybe she'd do a Chain Attack like Shulk but with a red light instead of blue, and use Melia, Reyn, and surprise...Shulk. Yeah, I can see Shulk and Fiora doing a Fox and Falco FS thing with each other, but when Fiora's on the field, she won't appear in Shulk's final smash and vice versa just like the Team Star Fox boys. And she'd finish her Chain Attack with Final Cross to serve as a parallel to Shulk finishing his with Monado Buster.
Clearly, her Chain Attack should only ever feature Mumkhar, Dickson and Alvis.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As for Rex...maybe not Season 2, but Season 3 at the bare earliest. Depends on how many seasons, I can imagine 5 minimum. Weren't there like 30 datamined slots or something
I don't think they're using all 30 of them, but I think that it shows that they're definitely keeping the idea of multiple seasons open.

Also, does Shulk really finish with Buster? It seems like a generic slash to me. Maybe it's like a bastardized version of it? See this is why Malos needs to get in the game so we can finally have a proper Monado Buster in the game :p Would it really be that hard to call Shulk's Buster art Enchant? I mean it's basically a smashified version of it already.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
RIP ARMS, at least for the current batch. With any luck though they may consider the DLC characters from that game (possibly Max Brass, Lola Pop or Dr. Coyle).

As for Rex, I wasn't particularly big on his chances at this point anyways. Although they might change their minds later, depending on whether or not his costume gets released outside of the pass deal.

I don't think they're using all 30 of them, but I think that it shows that they're definitely keeping the idea of multiple seasons open.
29 slots. This bears repeating yet again.

Anyway, 3 seems likely enough at the absolute maximum (isn't 5 overkill? :p ), depending on the number of characters that don't use alts. Meanwhile, one can only be envious at a game like Diablo getting a 16th season.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
RIP ARMS, at least for the current batch. With any luck though they may consider the DLC characters from that game (possibly Max Brass, Lola Pop or Dr. Coyle).

As for Rex, I wasn't particularly big on his chances at this point anyways. Although they might change their minds later, depending on whether or not his costume gets released outside of the pass deal.

29 slots. This bears repeating yet again.

Anyway, 3 seems likely enough at the absolute maximum (isn't 5 overkill? :p ), depending on the number of characters that don't use alts. Meanwhile, one can only be envious at a game like Diablo getting a 16th season.
Sorry, I tend to forget lol

But ehhhh 4 seems a safe enough baseline? Let's compromise :p

As for ARMS, if we do get a rep, I'd like it to be Twintelle. She'd be practical to translate into Smash too, I have a feeling Spring Man is an Assist Trophy not only because he was too recent, but also because his and most other ARMS characters would be impractical in Smash (grab range would be too OP). Twintelle, on the other hand...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But ehhhh 4 seems a safe enough baseline? Let's compromise

As for ARMS, if we do get a rep, I'd like it to be Twintelle. She'd be practical to translate into Smash too, I have a feeling Spring Man is an Assist Trophy not only because he was too recent, but also because his and most other ARMS characters would be impractical in Smash (grab range would be too OP). Twintelle, on the other hand...
Sure, why not. :smash:

Yeah, Twin's the big fan favorite from the ARMS base roster. The normal limbs help in her case. For any of the others, the programmers will pass over on them until they can find a way to have them fit naturally while still being (relatively) fair for players to use. I have a hard time seeing them ignore ARMS for future entries unless that game ends up having no sequel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sure, why not. :smash:

Yeah, Twin's the big fan favorite from the ARMS base roster. The normal limbs help in her case. For any of the others, the programmers will pass over on them until they can find a way to have them fit naturally while still be (relatively) fair for players to use. I have a hard time seeing them ignore ARMS for future entries unless that game ends up having no sequel.
ARMS sold 2 mil, that's amazing for a figjring game debut. I definitely think it won't fade into obscurity.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
With Rex and Pyra/Mythra I want to hear some ideas for his playstyle before I pick him over Elma.
Arms is gonna be stuck in AT hell I think, unless they use Twintelle or a better rep in ARMS 2 is made.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
small brain: brave is erdrick
big brain: brave is elma
galaxy brain: brave is lightning mcqueen
universe brain: brave is mater
multiverse brain: brave is tatsu
Brave is definately not Elma, they're the same height as Lucas with a mid level speed and are very floaty. Elma would be fast and probably have a rapid jab (Brave does not). My money's actually on Sora because someone modded the stats onto Ike and it moves a lot like Sora.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Brave is definately not Elma, they're the same height as Lucas with a mid level speed and are very floaty. Elma would be fast and probably have a rapid jab (Brave does not). My money's actually on Sora because someone modded the stats onto Ike and it moves a lot like Sora.
I think we've all agreed Brave probably wasn't Elma, that's why Faygo made that joke.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If Pirahna Plant can get in because it's not a hero and it's a character everyone knows then why can't Tatsu get in for not being a hero and being a character everyone hates.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wait, same height as Lucas? First time hearing that. . . god, now I'm almost starting to get my hopes up for a Bravely Default character.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Wait, same height as Lucas? First time hearing that. . . god, now I'm almost starting to get my hopes up for a Bravely Default character.
Yep roughly, there is a slight scaling of .96% or something like that that means they're probably actually slightly shorter than Lucas. Not to mention it is talking about their face to the ground so if they are hunched or anything it could affect that number.

EDIT: that said I personally think the code name is going to be a little more complex than just the name of their game...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
that said I personally think the code name is going to be a little more complex than just the name of their game...
Yeah, I know. But a BD character would actually give me a reason to buy the Fighter's Pack, which neither Joker nor Erdrick actually do.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd personally prefer Brave to be Neku, esp since I voted for him in the Ballot, but he's taller than Lucas/Ness, so I'd be fine if it was someone from BD. I expect Agnes or Tiz, but I'd prefer Ringabel or Edea Lee. Especially Edea, I need "Mrgrgr!" as a taunt soooooo badly

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know. But a BD character would actually give me a reason to buy the Fighter's Pack, which neither Joker nor Erdrick actually do.
Bravely Default has been one of those games I always meant to get around to but just never found the time. That said I started Persona 5 right before he got announced and I'm now pretty excited to see him.

Plus Erdrick isn't a lock yet, I still think it's going to be Slime.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It still pains me to hear that Sakurai is willing to pretty much apologize to XC2 fans at how Rex couldn't make it to the game (with a costume and some music tracks) yet XCX fans get jack squat. Then you have XC2 fans having the audacity to act like they were cheated as if they were owed Rex, ignoring that XCX fans have it worse.

D

Deleted member

It still pains me to hear that Sakurai is willing to pretty much apologize to XC2 fans at how Rex couldn't make it to the game (with a costume and some music tracks) yet XCX fans get jack squat. Then you have XC2 fans having the audacity to act like they were cheated as if they were owed Rex, ignoring that XCX fans have it worse.
Maybe it's because there could be a certain XCX DLC character ;)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Bravely Default has been one of those games I always meant to get around to but just never found the time. That said I started Persona 5 right before he got announced and I'm now pretty excited to see him.

Plus Erdrick isn't a lock yet, I still think it's going to be Slime.
Have you seen the gameplay footage where they mod Brave's stats onto Ike, he is seriously floaty, it really looks like Sora to me.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Have you seen the gameplay footage where they mod Brave's stats onto Ike, he is seriously floaty, it really looks like Sora to me.
Yeah but Sora has no reason to be so slippery on the ground which is such an unusual trait to add the only reason they would do so is because it's a key part of the character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Yeah but Sora has no reason to be so slippery on the ground which is such an unusual trait to add the only reason they would do so is because it's a key part of the character.
I will admit that is a little odd but the jumps are perfect for Sora also I just looked uo Cloud an Sora size comparisons, took him and Lucas into training, it's almost identical.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
As much as love Kingdom Hearts, I rather not have Sora here lest you give Disney an opening to take control of Nintendo later down the line like they did with Star Wars and Marvel.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Brave is around the same height as Lucas? This is interesteng, because it could mean that if it really is Erdrik they might go with the Classic design, which would be quite cool to see
DQIII_Hero_Famicom.png

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
As much as love Kingdom Hearts, I rather not have Sora here lest you give Disney an opening to take control of Nintendo later down the line like they did with Star Wars and Marvel.
That sounds like some diabolical stuff, good thing Nintendo has to foresight to avoid this by not letting Sora into Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That sounds like some diabolical stuff, good thing Nintendo has to foresight to avoid this by not letting Sora into Smash.
this this this

I know Sora's a big name in gaming, but he's Disney's property before he's Square's and a negotiation would have...unfortunate implications for Nintendo's future. I'd rather that not happen.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
this this this

I know Sora's a big name in gaming, but he's Disney's property before he's Square's and a negotiation would have...unfortunate implications for Nintendo's future. I'd rather that not happen.
Wait now I'm confused, are you going along with the joke or do I need to add a /s tag to mine?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It was sarcasm?! Oof...

but I am being serious when I say that the idea of Disney owning Nintendo makes me uncomfortable, and knowing Disney, they'd jump at the opportunity

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It was sarcasm?! Oof...

but I am being serious when I say that the idea of Disney owning Nintendo makes me uncomfortable, and knowing Disney, they'd jump at the opportunity
The government of Japan would never let such a thing happen no matter how much money.

Top Bottom