• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

CornOnTheCob

Smash Rookie
Count me in as an Elma supporter. She's a neat character, I loved exploring XCX's world, having a character who could possibly fight in a mech is rad, and tbh I want something XCX-related on Switch, because it was the game that sold me on the Wii U after having such a great time with Xenoblade 1.

Plus, I want "the wind blows hard in December" and "we're stuck on a different planet" in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We’ve reached 8000 posts!

hopefully, we won’t be waiting much longer

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, if I may rant a bit: It's getting a bit tiring always hearing people cry out for Rex & Pyra everytime/anytime the prospects of a new DLC character is coming around. It's like they are acting like Rex was "supposed" to be in Smash and that him not being in the roster is such a disservice or something.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ugh, if I may rant a bit: It's getting a bit tiring always hearing people cry out for Rex & Pyra everytime/anytime the prospects of a new DLC character is coming around. It's like they are acting like Rex was "supposed" to be in Smash and that him not being in the roster is such a disservice or something.
they also think that Min Min/ARMS guarantees Rex just cause ARMS, like XC2 was considered but ultimately too late. Also I maintain if they DID want to make Rex playable they wouldn't have made him a costume at the very start of DLC. idc that season 2 wasnt finalized then, ppl also thought Spring Man would be the first AT to Playable in the same game promotion, and if not him, then Ribbon Girl as the first costume-to-playable in the same game. neither happened.

plus considered != guaranteed. look at Decidueye, Dixie, Heihachi, Chorus Kids etc. Chrom's an exception cause of the demand he had during the transition from 4 to Ult

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Keep in mind Sakurai's also considered characters like Mach Rider, Takamaru, and even James Bond in the past, so even if he wanted to at one point doesn't mean he will now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Keep in mind Sakurai's also considered characters like Mach Rider, Takamaru, and even James Bond in the past, so even if he wanted to at one point doesn't mean he will now.
James Bond is a totally different beast, being a non-video game character so...yeah

also cries in Ayumi Tachibana

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I suspect that Sakurai decided to make a point of saying Smash is video game characters only after he realised how much of a headache Bond would be to licence. Had he showed up in Melee, there'd probably be no resistance to it as all these rules hadn't really been established yet. I wonder if Ultimate would have brought him back as Daniel Craig... Now I'm thinking of all the music he'd have brought :>

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
they also think that Min Min/ARMS guarantees Rex just cause ARMS, like XC2 was considered but ultimately too late. Also I maintain if they DID want to make Rex playable they wouldn't have made him a costume at the very start of DLC. idc that season 2 wasnt finalized then, ppl also thought Spring Man would be the first AT to Playable in the same game promotion, and if not him, then Ribbon Girl as the first costume-to-playable in the same game. neither happened.

plus considered != guaranteed. look at Decidueye, Dixie, Heihachi, Chorus Kids etc. Chrom's an exception cause of the demand he had during the transition from 4 to Ult
This. Like someone commented in previous posts: I too am tired of Rex fans acting like Sakurai sees Rex not making it into the game as some freaking tragedy he has to make up for asap, that it makes me NOT want Rex in at all (especially when he looks like generic shounen protag #628, meanwhile I cannot get by Pyra's design).

And on the subject of Chrom: It now makes me worry the demand for Rex will eventually lead to his inclusion...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Mmyeah, that's also part of the reason why I'm not exactly fond of them in terms of the speculation scene. Especially when people act like they got snubbed for the base game, when there was no conceivable way that anything from 2 would make it in, and in the end still managed to far more than enough content. All while. . . well, I guess in this thread, it should go without saying.

And yes, I've actually seen people legitimately act like that.

I mean, let's not forget that Sakurai did dedicate a few minutes to all the Xenoblade 2 content in Ultimate in the final pre-release presentation. And the way he went about it is, in retrospect, pretty reminiscent of how he goes over DLC newcomers or premium Mii costumes these days. I just really wouldn't be surprised if they consider the 2 content in Ultimate basically DLC stuff without being, well DLC.
. . .I hope that gets my point across, because reading over that - wow, does that sound stupid.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
It's been quite a while.
But my hopes for Elma are still burning bright! I wonder if the rumors about an incoming Direct next week are true?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another thing I hate is when almost everyone outside of the Xenoblade fanbase pretends or doesn't even know that Elma or Xenoblade X exists. Even some Xenoblade fans are like this too. I understand and respect if people want Rex more, but at least acknowledge Elma as a honorable mention or another option instead of pretending Rex has to be the only possible Xenoblade newcomer. It annoys me to death because Elma is a cool character and her game shouldn't be overlooked just because of Xenoblade 2's success on the Switch.

ZA3L

Smash Rookie
If Xenoblade X gets put on the Switch, nintendo would have more to gain putting elma in smash. X is the least played and most underrated of the series, with elma in smash, it should get people to try X and it would do much better than it did on the wii u.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Another thing I hate is when almost everyone outside of the Xenoblade fanbase pretends or doesn't even know that Elma or Xenoblade X exists. Even some Xenoblade fans are like this too. I understand and respect if people want Rex more, but at least acknowledge Elma as a honorable mention or another option instead of pretending Rex has to be the only possible Xenoblade newcomer. It annoys me to death because Elma is a cool character and her game shouldn't be overlooked just because of Xenoblade 2's success on the Switch.
I mean, Elma's a blade in XC2 so she counts as a rep for both games, right? In all seriousness, though, I think Elma is still more likely than Rex because of that Mii costume. Not to mention how suspiciously underrepresented X is in Ultimate. Elma has way more going for her as an upgraded Spirit character IMO. They could even use her art from XC2 as the alt for her fighter Spirit.

Also, obligatory mention of today's direct: Boy am I glad that I kept my expectations low. Glad to know SMTV isn't dead, but I'm getting pretty nervous that Nintendo doesn't have any major releases planned for the latter half of this year. Thank goodness for Xenoblade DE and Animal Crossing or this year probably would have been wash for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, Elma's a blade in XC2 so she counts as a rep for both games, right? In all seriousness, though, I think Elma is still more likely than Rex because of that Mii costume. Not to mention how suspiciously underrepresented X is in Ultimate. Elma has way more going for her as an upgraded Spirit character IMO. They could even use her art from XC2 as the alt for her fighter Spirit.

Also, obligatory mention of today's direct: Boy am I glad that I kept my expectations low. Glad to know SMTV isn't dead, but I'm getting pretty nervous that Nintendo doesn't have any major releases planned for the latter half of this year. Thank goodness for Xenoblade DE and Animal Crossing or this year probably would have been wash for me.
Exactly. X also lacks music as ARMS did pre Min Min, while 2 has music in base. They could also use her
true form render for her true form alt’s fighter spirit

On a side note, I’m still a bit bothered Tsubasa is the only Spirit for TMS FE. Spirit Event for Encore with Itsuki, Touma, Eleonora and Kiria anyone?

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Exactly. X also lacks music as ARMS did pre Min Min, while 2 has music in base. They could also use her
true form render for her true form alt’s fighter spirit

On a side note, I’m still a bit bothered Tsubasa is the only Spirit for TMS FE. Spirit Event for Encore with Itsuki, Touma, Eleonora and Kiria anyone?
If Sakurai wasn't shy about spoiling Fiora, I doubt that would be too much of a stretch for him. X is an older game now than XC1 was when Smash 4 came out so I'm sure most people who are interested in X are aware of it. And since spirits in Ultimate are (sadly) given no context or flavor text it would work perfectly.

And yeah, I'm salty over the lack of TMS spirits. That game was the Wii U's swansong for me and I'm glad more people have gotten to play it! The spirit board events have been lowkey killing it this year. I loved the Octopath Traveler one, so TMS Encore and Phantasy Star (to celebrate PSO2 coming to the west) are my next most-wanted future events.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, we wouldn't even need to dip into said spoilers or artwork from other games. Not when Elma already has this render in addition to the one they used for the Spirit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, we wouldn't even need to dip into said spoilers or artwork from other games. Not when Elma already has this render in addition to the one they used for the Spirit.

I mentioned the spoiler solely cause of the possibility of that version being an alt. Like how Bayonetta has her 2 and 1 art as fighter spirits depending on which alt you’re using

of course both the spoiler alt and fighter spirit will have to be edited for CERO compliance

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
If Sakurai wasn't shy about spoiling Fiora, I doubt that would be too much of a stretch for him. X is an older game now than XC1 was when Smash 4 came out so I'm sure most people who are interested in X are aware of it. And since spirits in Ultimate are (sadly) given no context or flavor text it would work perfectly.

And yeah, I'm salty over the lack of TMS spirits. That game was the Wii U's swansong for me and I'm glad more people have gotten to play it! The spirit board events have been lowkey killing it this year. I loved the Octopath Traveler one, so TMS Encore and Phantasy Star (to celebrate PSO2 coming to the west) are my next most-wanted future events.
I am not sure where the line is drawn for what is considered a “spoiler” or not
because Trailers always spoil.

Some people got mad over it when Elma’s true form was revealed in the following trailer:

It is a popular subject as there several discussions on this controversial topic:

Crossovers tend to spoil things because it’s the highlights of another series.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LateArrivalSpoiler
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LateArrivalSpoiler/VideoGames
Monolith Soft already done it when they developed Project X Zone 2 and added Fiora to it in a trailer if you don’t count the two Xenoblade Japanese commercials that play back to back of Fiora.
Super Smash Bros done it with several things
such as Sheik’s relation with Zelda, Rhea and some others characters having “secret identities” but also states Rhea’s alternate identity, the trophies stating certain information on the Cyborg Ninja, Lucina’s very existence and her relation with Chrom, Spirits such as Mumkhar and Dracula can be “enhanced” to a certain form as does Fiora. Fiora appears in Smash Bros directs such as her trophy during the showcase of Smash Tour and highlight that Fiora is added to Shulk’s Final Smash during the E3 2018 showcase of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a certain song from the Wonderful 101 was included into Super Smash Bros Ultimate’s tracklist. As well as quite a bit of things with Mother 3 such as Porky’s new state, the Mother 3 stage, Palutena casually discussing the events of Kid Icarus Uprising, Hero’s Reveal trailer showing a certain other antagonist of the World of Light events

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
this is probably the most accurate meme to X

... I really want X Director's Cut now... if that rumor of Pikmin 3 being ported is true they better port X while they're at it. I mean, THEY PORTED TMS.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly believe if X get's ported or remastered for the Switch than Elma's is a lock for the Xenoblade rep position in Ultimate if we are getting any Xenoblade rep at all.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I honestly believe if X get's ported or remastered for the Switch than Elma's is a lock for the Xenoblade rep position in Ultimate if we are getting any Xenoblade rep at all.
I wish I could be so optimistic. I wouldn't call her a lock (remember what happened to many "locks" in the past) but I would say that her chances would improve.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish I could be so optimistic. I wouldn't call her a lock (remember what happened to many "locks" in the past) but I would say that her chances would improve.
Well Rex is Mii costume and if Xenoblade X get's ported to the Switch than I believe Nintendo would want to promote that with Elma in Smash. Plus Xenoblade X music isn't in the game like how Arms music wasn't and I think with this in mind, it might have been Sakurai's intention to put in Elma if he planned to add another Xenoblade rep down the road. I don't think Sakurai forgot about us Xenoblade X fans. ;)

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I never like to call a character a lock, and my confidence wavers here and there, which is probably for the best, but whenever it bottoms out I remember that she doesn't even have a Mii costume and I wonder why not even that.

Total tangent, the new Phantasy Star was revealed at the Xbox conference and between it's open world and giant mech-like enemies (literaly called dolls), it's been pretty nice seeing so many people comparing it to XCX specifically, you get told often enough that no one played it that you start to believe it, but stuff like that makes me pretty happy.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah let's not jump to calling anyone a lock just yet, cuz you never know. I mean people called Rex and Spring Man locks for DLC and look what happened.

The only character in Ultimate that I considered a lock was Inkling....who was confirmed before Smash was even revealed mind you. That said if a port is on the way and Sakurai knew about it beforehand then it's possible but not outright for certain that it means he'll add her to the game.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah let's not jump to calling anyone a lock just yet, cuz you never know. I mean people called Rex and Spring Man locks for DLC and look what happened.

The only character in Ultimate that I considered a lock was Inkling....who was confirmed before Smash was even revealed mind you. That said if a port is on the way and Sakurai knew about it beforehand then it's possible but not outright for certain that it means he'll add her to the game.
Funny story, I considered voting for Inkling on the Smash ballot but figured they were such a lock that I ought to vote for a character that I wanted just as much but who was never gonna happen. :ultbayonetta:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Funny story, I considered voting for Inkling on the Smash ballot but figured they were such a lock that I ought to vote for a character that I wanted just as much but who was never gonna happen. :ultbayonetta:
So....Smash 4's meta was your fault then? :p

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
You can never trust those Europeans!!
I mean they localized XC1 so clearly they're on to something, right?

Also, an enhanced port of X makes total sense for 2021. This year, wee got TMS#FE, Wonderful 101 (which I know was Platinum's doing but it's still ultimately a port), and a rumored Pikmin 3 rerelease so Nintendo is running out of Wii U titles to pad their release schedules. If their recent silence on new games is any indication, they're going to need anything they can port quickly. I'm sure Monolith wants to keep their name relevant among Nintendo's major players, and if they shoot for at least one release every year or so then giving us an enhanced version of X is a no brainer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean they localized XC1 so clearly they're on to something, right?

Also, an enhanced port of X makes total sense for 2021. This year, wee got TMS#FE, Wonderful 101 (which I know was Platinum's doing but it's still ultimately a port), and a rumored Pikmin 3 rerelease so Nintendo is running out of Wii U titles to pad their release schedules. If their recent silence on new games is any indication, they're going to need anything they can port quickly. I'm sure Monolith wants to keep their name relevant among Nintendo's major players, and if they shoot for at least one release every year or so then giving us an enhanced version of X is a no brainer.
If they must port one more Wii U game after Pikmin 3 and X, I hope it’s Fatal Frame V

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh man that game got soooo gypped with no physical release.
don't get me started on how the first chapter was free but you had to pay $50 for the full story

bro just lemme pay for the full game at once no strings attached

anyway uh.... stan Elma?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We better hope Monolith Soft listens. A lot of people are waiting for an X port/remastered. Everyone and their grandma
literally.
"Took awhile to get to New Zealand"

Well damn didn't think it'd take THAT long!

----

But in all seriousness I'm super envious of this woman.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, very minor thing to show off here, but regardless. At the final video of his current Let's Play, chuggaaconroy teased that his next project is going to be the single biggest one in the history of his channel. Considering that he played the original Xenoblade in the past, and explicitly showed off some of his notes for X in the past, it's pretty damn likely that it's finally time for that. Since his Let's Play of the original pushed its "presence" online a decent bit prior to the official reveal of Shulk for 4, one for X could do the same for it.
And of course Shulk was announced as a playable fighter for 4 during his Let's Play of the original, so obviously, that's gonna happen with Elma now

And unrelated, here's a nice Twitter thread I saw yesterday.

It even comes with a nice render!

Top Bottom