• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, since we don't really have much else to discuss here due to current lack of Nintendo news, I figured that this is worth sharing:

The title of the video should give you a good enough idea on what it's about. Reason why it's worth sharing is because towards the end, they talk about Spirit upgrades they wanna see, and our (here previously mentioned) MVP Jon Cartwright brings up Elma.
Like I said, not much, but it's still nice to hear some noteworthy validation.
You know, they actually brought up a good point. Unless they find a way to incorporate the Skell into her moveset (i.e. not limit it to her Final Smash), Elma's main selling point is the duel-wielding. While I don't know exactly how his fanbase is, that COULD cause some conflict with Lloyd's supporters if they get the wrong idea.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Weapon switching could be a pretty big mechanic depending on how much it changes attacks, and likewise, Ghost Factory allowing you to make decoys rather than being a counter has a lot of potential. Anyone whose played Guild Wars 2, consider how Mesmers use illusion copies of themselves to confuse their opponents.

More focus on attacks having situational buffs, or being stronger is combo'd into from another attack. Perhaps giving her Overdrive, which improves her framedata when active.

And yeah, using the Skell, potentially hovering in the background of the stage and providing support, kind of like how Duck Hunt Duo actually have the player with the lightgun shooting at the cans.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
One thing that I would really love for Elma is seeing them put Soul Voice into the moveset. It would really feel like playing Xenoblade X in Smash, trying to use the suggested attack safely in trade for a buff or a 1% heal.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A Skell could work as a temporary alternate moveset. Instead of going Overdrive you temporarily pilot the Verus Cain, which can be attacked and have parts broken off it even be destroyed (complete with abandon ship QTE to avoid taking damage). Not quote how it works in game and they’d have to rescale it but look at Joker, “not quite how it works” describes a lot of moveset gimmicks. Would probably only have about 4-8 attacks (almost as many as an actual skell!) but Big Gravity Sword would be a fun finisher.

Elma’s base moveset would rely heavily on movement and positioning. Many of her attacks physically move her like Bayonetta’s forward airs, Corrin’s back-air, the slide down tilts etc. Others gain extra effects for specific situations. More damage from behind or on aerial foes (while grounded, or vice versa), tripping foes if you cross by them. Some might have completely different effects (Shadow Strike functions as a Falcon Dive that spikes if it hits from behind, and just deals damage while moving from the front).

And the stage has to have multiple weather hazards with indigen interference. I always imagine Sylvalum would work best. Sylvalum benefits from having fog clouds (visibility), energy mist (healing), crimson aurora (critical chance) and brimstone rain (damage), which only take effect if you’re not under cover. In XBX weather does nothing if there’s surfaced above you so this would lead players to either avoid or seek out high ground so they can benefit from the weather. Aesthetically it’s the most alien and different to any other stage, while also being very picturesque and memorable. Honestly I would be super chuffed just to have Sylvalum as a stage.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A Skell could work as a temporary alternate moveset. Instead of going Overdrive you temporarily pilot the Verus Cain, which can be attacked and have parts broken off it even be destroyed (complete with abandon ship QTE to avoid taking damage). Not quote how it works in game and they’d have to rescale it but look at Joker, “not quite how it works” describes a lot of moveset gimmicks. Would probably only have about 4-8 attacks (almost as many as an actual skell!) but Big Gravity Sword would be a fun finisher.

Elma’s base moveset would rely heavily on movement and positioning. Many of her attacks physically move her like Bayonetta’s forward airs, Corrin’s back-air, the slide down tilts etc. Others gain extra effects for specific situations. More damage from behind or on aerial foes (while grounded, or vice versa), tripping foes if you cross by them. Some might have completely different effects (Shadow Strike functions as a Falcon Dive that spikes if it hits from behind, and just deals damage while moving from the front).

And the stage has to have multiple weather hazards with indigen interference. I always imagine Sylvalum would work best. Sylvalum benefits from having fog clouds (visibility), energy mist (healing), crimson aurora (critical chance) and brimstone rain (damage), which only take effect if you’re not under cover. In XBX weather does nothing if there’s surfaced above you so this would lead players to either avoid or seek out high ground so they can benefit from the weather. Aesthetically it’s the most alien and different to any other stage, while also being very picturesque and memorable. Honestly I would be super chuffed just to have Sylvalum as a stage.
Day and night effects as well. Sylvalum is gorgeous at night.

Noctilum is my prefered region, but I'd be fine with generally anything besides just NLA.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Eh, even if it's kinda basic, my preferred stage would still be NLA/Primordia. Preferably something set on the outer walls of the city, where, based on a random chance, the camera is either facing the city with a good view of BLADE tower and the Ma-non ship, or Primordia itself, with various wildlife roaming around, like the Millesaur.

Though of course, Skells flying around should be an absolute given, no matter which continent would be the stage.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Source Gaming talks about who they think is the next fighter. Our girl is discussed here and Jon from GameXplain is in the conversation. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm curious to hear what else Jon has to say about Elma.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

Source Gaming talks about who they think is the next fighter. Our girl is discussed here and Jon from GameXplain is in the conversation. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm curious to hear what else Jon has to say about Elma.
He says that one focused of this DLC fighters (both FP1 and 2) is to bring characters that can bring unique gameplay mechanics to Ultimate, like Joker’s Arsene, Hero MP bar with his down special or Min Min that plays very differently from others (Sakurai also say this a few months ago). He says that although the logical choice for a next Xenoblade rep is Rex, he would be another “boy anime swordsman” and Elma at least can possible be more unique becase of her two swords/guns, so it could be a more interesting pick. And I agree with Jon.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
He says that one focused of this DLC fighters (both FP1 and 2) is to bring characters that can bring unique gameplay mechanics to Ultimate, like Joker’s Arsene, Hero MP bar with his down special or Min Min that plays very differently from others (Sakurai also say this a few months ago). He says that although the logical choice for a next Xenoblade rep is Rex, he would be another “boy anime swordsman” and Elma at least can possible be more unique becase of her two swords/guns, so it could be a more interesting pick. And I agree with Jon.
I hate to be that person, but Sakurai seems to be biased towards "boy anime swordsmen", if the current roster is any indicator.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I hate to be that person, but Sakurai seems to be biased towards "boy anime swordsmen", if the current roster is any indicator.
That's not being "that person", that's just a weird take. There aren't really any characters on the entire roster where their particular inclusion was a matter of "boy anime swordsman" or something different, except for maybe Corrin getting in over Azura. And even then, Smash 4's base roster had pretty much the opposite happen with Robin (and Lucina) getting in over Chrom.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's not being "that person", that's just a weird take. There aren't really any characters on the entire roster where their particular inclusion was a matter of "boy anime swordsman" or something different, except for maybe Corrin getting in over Azura. And even then, Smash 4's base roster had pretty much the opposite happen with Robin (and Lucina) getting in over Chrom.
And most recently, Min Min over Spring Man. Granted Springo was an AT in base

also Incineroar over Decidueye/Lycanroc

basically, the one that’s expected usually isn’t the one to actually make it

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sorry, I was trying to make a joke about the "anime swordsman" complaints people still have for some reason. I probably should've worded it better.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like the only thing stopping Sakurai from choosing Elma over Rex would be Nintendo. Maybe Sakurai would want Elma for her more unique moveset while Nintendo would want Rex for bigger promotional reasons and money since Xenoblade 2 was such a bigger hit than X because of being on the Switch. Or maybe Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters to choose from like with the last Pass and Nintendo put both Elma and Rex on the list. If so, I could see Sakurai choosing Elma instead Rex because of her totally different moveset mechanic with the dual swords, dual guns, and mech. Sakurai sees the potential in Elma, but we will have to wait and see if we score.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like the only thing stopping Sakurai from choosing Elma over Rex would be Nintendo. Maybe Sakurai would want Elma for her more unique moveset while Nintendo would want Rex for bigger promotional reasons and money since Xenoblade 2 was such a bigger hit than X because of being on the Switch. Or maybe Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters to choose from like with the last Pass and Nintendo put both Elma and Rex on the list. If so, I could see Sakurai choosing Elma instead Rex because of her totally different moveset mechanic with the dual swords, dual guns, and mech. Sakurai sees the potential in Elma, but we will have to wait and see if we score.
If anything I think it’s the opposite. Sakurai wanted Rex but Nintendo wanted Elma, so Rex is a costume rn and we might get Elma as playable in a future pack

Cause remember, Nintendo calls the shots for DLC

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think Rex was a costume because Nintendo simply didn't have plans for a Xenoblade character at the time and Pass 2 wasn't set in stone.

Not saying that Elma isn't happening, mind you, but I doubt the Rex Mii costume happened because Nintendo had their sights on her to be playable in the future.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If anything I think it’s the opposite. Sakurai wanted Rex but Nintendo wanted Elma, so Rex is a costume rn and we might get Elma as playable in a future pack

Cause remember, Nintendo calls the shots for DLC
So you think Nintendo is prioritizing possibly promoting a Xenoblade X port or remake with Elma in Smash over the more popular Rex? I hope so.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So you think Nintendo is prioritizing possibly promoting a Xenoblade X port or remake with Elma in Smash over the more popular Rex? I hope so.
Same

say, there was also a recent Xenoblade DE update... I wonder if it’s been datamined and or if they’ll announce an expansion pass DLC with Rex and Elma as guest characters somehow

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Takahashi has already expressed interest with Elma being in Smash, from what I remember. Of course he could very well be just as interested with pushing Rex in the game. But if Min Min's inclusion is anything to go by, it could be possible for something similar to happen if Sakurai approaches Monolith and they could push for adding Elma into Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I honestly just wish we could get both Elma and Rex in Ultimate because Xenoblade deserves it. Like, come on! Fire Emblem has 8 freaking characters in this game and Xenoblade still has only has 1.
Fiora’s another option too. And yes I know she’s in Shulk’s final smash. Counterargument: Chrom.
Takahashi has already expressed interest with Elma being in Smash, from what I remember. Of course he could very well be just as interested with pushing Rex in the game. But if Min Min's inclusion is anything to go by, it could be possible for something similar to happen if Sakurai approaches Monolith and they could push for adding Elma into Smash.
Got a source for that?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hell, with Elma's story not being done yet and Xenoblade X being a separate thing from the mainline Xenoblade series games, I could see us getting a Xenoblade X2 on the Switch as well as a Xenoblade X port or remaster right before Xenoblade X2's release to go alongside side it.

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie
Fiora’s another option too. And yes I know she’s in Shulk’s final smash. Counterargument: Chrom.

Got a source for that?
It is from this interview from 2015 https://venturebeat.com/2015/06/22/...lding-an-rpg-for-multiple-audiences/view-all/

GamesBeat: We’ve had Shulk in Smash Bros. That must be a neat thing to see. Now we know Nintendo is doing downloadable content for Smash Bros. Would you like to see Xenoblade Chronicles X characters in Smash as well?
Takahashi: I’m not entirely sure, but you could always ask Mr. Sakurai about that. [laughs]
I don't think this mean anything for Elma's chances because Xenoblade 2 didn't exist then and they were talking about Smash 4 DLCs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie
Has Takahashi said anything about Rex or even Fiora in smash out of curiosity? Cause if Takahashi’s contacted he may still go with Elma like how Yabuki went with Min Min
From what I can recall Takahashi hardly ever talks about Smash, he talked about Shulk in Smash and this, but he never said anything about Fiora or Rex.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, Monolith Soft pushing for Elma over Rex is probably one of the best things we can hope for right now. With how central she was in the series' anniversary artwork and the Nopon Archsage's dialogue upon her appearance in the Land of Challenge (y'know, the "Something something dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in the same place, something something"), I'd say there's at least some basis for that.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
And then we find out Takahashi wants a nopon in Smash and we end up getting Riki, Tatsu, or Tora.
Honestly I would be fine with a Nopon........as a third Xenoblade rep.

Until then Elma or Fiora. I really want Rex but I don't why, been a bit less on him recently.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Honestly I would be fine with a Nopon........as a third Xenoblade rep.

Until then Elma or Fiora. I really want Rex but I don't why, been a bit less on him recently.
Rex is still my most wanted but Fiora is definitely a pipe dream pick for me, and I've warmed up to Elma a bit despite being annoyed by some of the hostility aimed towards people who want Rex.

I feel like I'd be more excited for her potential inclusion if I had a way of playing XCX, though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Rex is still my most wanted but Fiora is definitely a pipe dream pick for me, and I've warmed up to Elma a bit despite being annoyed by some of the hostility aimed towards people who want Rex.

I feel like I'd be more excited for her potential inclusion if I had a way of playing XCX, though.
Elma is my most wanted Xenoblade character, but I'm also cheering for Rex as well. I wouldn't mind if Rex get's in instead, but I honestly wish we could get them both to make all Xenoblade fans happy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hopefully soon we’ll get that XCX port...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The weird thing about Elma getting in is that it's more dependant on whether they plan on doing anything with X in the near future than anything else. But I would honestly settle for one or the other. I don't need both. But I won't get either that way.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I was ex
Same

say, there was also a recent Xenoblade DE update... I wonder if it’s been datamined and or if they’ll announce an expansion pass DLC with Rex and Elma as guest characters somehow
I was expecting to see some new datamine too, I am even surprised none has been done already. I am very curious with what could be found...

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Same

That would be nice but wanna what would be better.

That final shot in the game of Colony 9. **** me, never have I seen more obvious edge of the skybox with the Bionis. First FFVII Remake then that!

I'm ok.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MY DUDES.

THE TIME DRAWS NEAR. HOPEFULLY, SO WILL SHE.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I’m not sure if I ever voiced my support of Elma but aaah I want her badly. XCX is my favourite Xenoblade game and one of my favourite games of all time. Rex would be incredible as well but Elma is Elma. (High key also want NLA Day Theme in Smash)

Last edited:
Top Bottom