• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie
Eh?

But Min Min wasn't picked because Ribbon Girl wasn't an option.

She was picked due to being Yabuki's favorite (and popularity).
Even if Min Min was pushed by Yabuki, Sakurai himself said that he was thinking in adding Ninjara or Min Min too, so why he was thinking about adding them when in the base game they added Spring Man (as assist trophy and mii fighter) and Ribbon Girl (as a mii fighter) as the best representation of ARMS? I think Sakurai felt that the representation of them was enough and wanted to pick someone else.

I don't really think this deconfirm Rex, but it is the best outcome for Elma imo. I'm just hoping that the new Xeno project is something X related because without that I don't think that Monolith would want to push Elma.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't sure about posting this cause I don't think I do a good job explaining my thoughts, but I will anway.

In the wake of Min Min being announced I've been thinking alot about how characters are decided on for Smash.

I think people tend to compare character popularity too much (need I remind you all of the Banjo vs Steve saga?) when I think that it's probably more a matter of threshholds being met, 3 of them specifically.

1. Popularity: I think this is probably the smallest of the 3, the character needs to be from a fairly well sold game, perhaps less for 1st parties, I wouldn't even put this at a million. No point arguing over 2 characters whose popularity or game sales have some distance between them if they're both over the threshold.
2. Relevance: The character needs to have some sort of future, probably within the next few years, or be relatively recent. As far as we know Banjo only has more merch on the way, but chances are we'll find out next month. This is more to say we won't be seeing Doshin the Giant. (God why isn't he an assist ;_;)
3. Moveset potential: This is the biggest one, and now more than ever. Min Min really raised the stakes for Pass 2 with her unique moveset and I suspect the pass will be full of characters with higher learning curves.

Another consideration of course is that theres a logical stage/music to come with them, (if they wanted to release characters on their own they would). Elma is an obvious example, as Mira is the real star of the show in XCX and the soundtrack alone would probably be a pleasant surprise for alot of anime fans who are in the dark about XCX.

Also, at launch we only got 2 whole sets of new fighter, stage and music for Ultimate. Only Splatoon and Castlevania could be replaced by Elma or Min Min even, if they wanted to give them a stage. ARMS came out to later, but I think waiting to do Elma later makes sense, since honestly, X on Switch was always likely.

Regarding the mii costume rule/assist trophy rule. I don't think it deconfirms these characters, but I do think it strongly suggests that they don't have plans for them beyond what we've seen already, of course that could change, and that's why we support characters right? Personally, I think the 2nd Xenoblade rep, whoever they are, will ultimately be momentum for the 3rd, and 4th...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So here's a little thing that fits into "kinda neat, but most likely doesn't mean anything" category:

This is a tweet by Jon Cartwright of GameXplain, who in the past has been pretty spot-on with some other predictions, even predicting that an ARMS rep would have a good chance of making it in months before we got that announcement. Some people even called him a leaker over the stuff he's got right, which he himself denies. I personally don't believe him to be one either, but it's nice to see support from someone decently notable.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here's a little thing that fits into "kinda neat, but most likely doesn't mean anything" category:

This is a tweet by Jon Cartwright of GameXplain, who in the past has been pretty spot-on with some other predictions, even predicting that an ARMS rep would have a good chance of making it in months before we got that announcement. Some people even called him a leaker over the stuff he's got right, which he himself denies. I personally don't believe him to be one either, but it's nice to see support from someone decently notable.
He did tease Min Min right? Or was that someone else (aside from ZhugeEX)?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Whether it's Elma or Rex & Pyra, I believe we are getting another Xenoblade rep before Ultimate's DLC lineup is over. I would put stock on Elma though not just because she is the Xenoblade rep I want, but because there is no Xenoblade X music in the game plus us still not knowning that secret role of Elma's voice actress.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Whether it's Elma or Rex & Pyra, I believe we are getting another Xenoblade rep before Ultimate's DLC lineup is over. I would put stock on Elma though not just because she is the Xenoblade rep I want, but because there is no Xenoblade X music in the game plus us still not knowning that secret role of Elma's voice actress.
Has Caitlin Glass made any big announcement as off late? The closest I can think off is her being the voice director (and also one of the voice actresses) of the Fruits Basket remake and that nearly a year ago.

If you secret role was Elma, it would be weird for it to not have happened yet. Even if I know stories of VAs voicing a character but waiting like a year before revealing their role.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has Caitlin Glass made any big announcement as off late? The closest I can think off is her being the voice director (and also one of the voice actresses) of the Fruits Basket remake and that nearly a year ago.

If you secret role was Elma, it would be weird for it to not have happened yet. Even if I know stories of VAs voicing a character but waiting like a year before revealing their role.
I'm not realy sure actually. But I still think she hasn't come out and say what it was though.

Note Arms didn't have any music in the game before Min Min but that probably doesn't mean much since before hand Arms was a series without a rep.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I...I can't believe I'm saying this....but I think the Elma gang is rising again. I'm hoping, at least, though I wouldn't mind Seven or Melia from XC1. But please, we don't have anything X! Make it happen, Nintendo!

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
So it turns out that Tetris 99 is having a Xenoblade DE event next week. I know this isn't related to X or Elma specifically, but I think it's worth noting that Nintendo has cross-promotion for Xenoblade on the mind. I was worried that since it's a remaster of a well-received older title Nintendo wouldn't push it as much post-launch, so here's hoping this is a sign of things to come. Putting Elma, Fiora, or someone from Monolith in Smash seems like such a no-brainer at this point.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I...I can't believe I'm saying this....but I think the Elma gang is rising again. I'm hoping, at least, though I wouldn't mind Seven or Melia from XC1. But please, we don't have anything X! Make it happen, Nintendo!
Not going to lie: I'd be down on Melia (as she's best XC1 girl for me lol) if only because she'd look like she'd have an interesting moveset/playstyle, not to mention the possible coolness if Jenna Coleman would actually reprise her lol.

But yeah as much as many people want him in: I feel like Rex (and Pyra) just feels so...bland despite what Sakurai says, hence why I freaking loved that Min Min got in over Spring Man, despite never having never touched ARMS at all.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One thought I was having earlier: Who, from X' cast, do you think would make for the best Mii costume? 1 of course has Dunban as a costume, and that other game has two characters as Mii costumes, so I think Elma should/would come with one as well. I personally could see Lin as a Mii Gunner, Nagi as a Mii Swordsman, or Vandham as a Mii Brawler.

He did tease Min Min right? Or was that someone else (aside from ZhugeEX)?
In the days leading up to Monday's presentation? Nah. He was speculating, just like everyone else. But last October he did throw this out.

So let's hope that his tendency to predict things right continues.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Do I need to say it...?

hecc it imma say it

LET’S
****ING
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Is it in any way unusual that they mention it? Because from that alone, it doesn't really look like anything to special. Still nice though.

. . .Really serves to show just how desperate we are for any official acknowledgement, if this already qualifies as something noteworthy. . .

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Do I need to say it...?

hecc it imma say it

LET’S
****ING
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Almost any game that gets ported to Switch does well?
Xenoblade 1 and 2 are doing well on the Switch?
Nintendo UK, drops this for literally no reason?

MattX20

Smash Hero
It would be nice for it to get a Switch port so the whole trinity is complete.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Looks like it’s an Instagram post. Do they often just post about old games to gauge reactions? I’d want a picture of their feed before I go making any judgement.

edit: Here's their instagram here
Most of their posts are Animal Crossing and Switch, and they posted about XB2 a month ago. The X post got a lot of comments too. A while back they had a XBDE survey which also included options for XBX (saying "did you enjoy it, did you play it" etc) so I think they might just be checking reception to XBDE, looking at demand for future games etc.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Looks like it’s an Instagram post. Do they often just post about old games to gauge reactions? I’d want a picture of their feed before I go making any judgement.

edit: Here's their instagram here
Most of their posts are Animal Crossing and Switch, and they posted about XB2 a month ago. The X post got a lot of comments too. A while back they had a XBDE survey which also included options for XBX (saying "did you enjoy it, did you play it" etc) so I think they might just be checking reception to XBDE, looking at demand for future games etc.
I hope enough people voted in a way that showed interest for XCX then

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Beated Future connected yesterday. Really liked exploring the shoulder, kinda reminded me of X with how open it was, and the Shoulder map and FC quests really made good use of the new GPS system.

so as for spoilers:

Okay so we know something from FC will play a role in future xenoblade games. The obvious things that come to mind is the rift and the possibility of finding out what caused the rift or where it goes to. And as some mentioned here, I definitely agree that at least one Telethia surviving and crossing the rift is a possibility (not certainty, but a possibility that could play out if so they want), and that could even lead to Endbringer in X (again, possibility, not certainty).

And to add to that, you know, after DE release, Takahashi did sereral interviews. One in special was very striking though, given that they actually make questions about the story of the franchise, the kind of questions we do in fact, and they got an answer! I will leave the interview link on spoilers!?! well, yeah, just to be sure.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/10/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-interview/
VG247: On this topic, there’s some curious small game-connecting changes in Definitive Edition – like Alvis’ necklace being changed to reference Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Is your intent behind changes like this just a nod and a wink to fans, or are these attempts to more deeply and more obviously connect the universes of the games? Do you want to draw these universes closer together?

Takahashi: From the beginning, each entry in the Xenoblade Chronicles series has depicted a single episode within the flow of a larger time and space. So they are, at their roots, closely connected with each other, but we’re flexible with changing the means and ways in which we depict this in each entry.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are like two sides of the same coin which might be why it feels like the connection between them seems to be particularly standing out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well then, For me this is pretty much a confirmation of all xenoblade games taking place in that multiverse mentioned by Klaus. They all have this level of connection, but given that 1 and 2 are related to klaus experiment, they give this impression of a stronger connection. Of course, confirmation of the multiverse does not mean the future games will cross at some point, in fact, they could still play out completely independent and standalone, but at least this one degree of connection they will have much like the current ones do. But anyway, I find this pretty cool.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

so this is what they'll do with Spirit promotions, append (Fighter) to their Fighter Spirit
so we'd be seeing "Elma (Fighter)" in this case

and potentially if she has a True Form alt, the Fighter Spirit for that alt will be "Elma (True Form)"

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Was pretty pleased to see this pop up in my sub feed. Always nice to see appreciation for the classics.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So do you guys think Mii costumes deconfirm characters? Base game costumes I believe don't, but DLC costumes I think on the other hand do. If I am right, than Elma has to be the Xenoblade rep if we get one. I'm not saying I'm right, but I just have a theory... A GAME THEORY!!! Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So do you guys think Mii costumes deconfirm characters? Base game costumes I believe don't, but DLC costumes I think on the other hand do. If I am right, than Elma has to be the Xenoblade rep if we get one. I'm not saying I'm right, but I just have a theory... A GAME THEORY!!! Thanks for watching!
I think base game costumes (full body only, not standalone wigs like with Dixie Kong’s wig) deconfirm too. Otherwise we’d have gotten Ribbon Girl instead of Min Min. It obviously doesn’t count if the base game fighter is there with the base game Mii costume (Isabelle, K. Rool, Inkling etc) cause they’re already there.

but yeah, I think ppl are thinking way too high of Rex’s chances just because Min Min got in. Rex already had his “spotlight time” as a costume, why do it again this game? And Min Min was a special request from Yabuki himself, and the ARMS comic was confirmed to still be worked on. Xenoblade 2 is slowly phasing out of Nintendo’s spotlight now that Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition is out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think base game costumes (full body only, not standalone wigs like with Dixie Kong’s wig) deconfirm too. Otherwise we’d have gotten Ribbon Girl instead of Min Min. It obviously doesn’t count if the base game fighter is there with the base game Mii costume (Isabelle, K. Rool, Inkling etc) cause they’re already there.

but yeah, I think ppl are thinking way too high of Rex’s chances just because Min Min got in. Rex already had his “spotlight time” as a costume, why do it again this game? And Min Min was a special request from Yabuki himself, and the ARMS comic was confirmed to still be worked on. Xenoblade 2 is slowly phasing out of Nintendo’s spotlight now that Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition is out.
And feel like with Elma appearing as DLC in Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade X potentially getting ported or remastered on the Switch, I feel like Nintendo's focus on the Xenoblade franchise will be on X next. That will be great for our girl's chances.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And feel like with Elma appearing as DLC in Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade X potentially getting ported or remastered on the Switch, I feel like Nintendo's focus on the Xenoblade franchise will be on X next. That will be great for our girl's chances.
Those chances will skyrocket EXPONENTIALLY if they decide to redo guest time battles like with 2 and add Elma to XCDE’s challenge mode

also, Shulk and Fiora in XC2 didn’t get that same grandiose hype-up trailer treatment Elma did

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
To me, Mii costumes or assist trophies DO NOT deconfirm characters, but I think they do show that the development team did not see those character being added to the game in the near future. To many that's not an important distinction, but when you consider how challenging and expensive making games is, I doubt they'd put a Mii costume in as a stopgap for a character they planned to add later.

That said I'm coming from the perspective that more than a single season of DLC has been planned for a long time. that's the norm in the industry as far as I can tell. I think eventually, support for Mii costume characters could see them added, but that I think is more likely in a later season, or a later game.

Essentially, Mii Costumes aren't an obstacle in the way of a character, they're a sign that an obstacle has got in the way of a character (moveset, popularity, relevancy, timeframe).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To me, Mii costumes or assist trophies DO NOT deconfirm characters, but I think they do show that the development team did not see those character being added to the game in the near future. To many that's not an important distinction, but when you consider how challenging and expensive making games is, I doubt they'd put a Mii costume in as a stopgap for a character they planned to add later.

That said I'm coming from the perspective that more than a single season of DLC has been planned for a long time. that's the norm in the industry as far as I can tell. I think eventually, support for Mii costume characters could see them added, but that I think is more likely in a later season, or a later game.

Essentially, Mii Costumes aren't an obstacle in the way of a character, they're a sign that an obstacle has got in the way of a character (moveset, popularity, relevancy, timeframe).
I have a weird nagging feeling that despite Sakurai saying “no plans after this pass” we could get FPV3 or even a few more individual DLCs. It’ll probably be another pass as when you play with rules on the stage select screen post-Min Min shifts the button down another row and here’s the kicker

that row has space for 10 more stages

I’ll find the tweet in a bit that shows this

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think the only Nintendo IP that already has a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate and deserves another one via DLC is Xenoblade. I know there is also the debate between Elma vs Rex and although I'm a "fan" of Rex (and loves Xenoblade 2), I think that he would be classified as a "another anime boy swordsman" and I would prefer that title to another character (like a third party). Instead, I think that Elma would be better choice because:

1) She uses dual swords/guns and that makes her unique in Ultimate roster, that would be translated as a more original fighter.
2) I think that Overdrive mechanic may be more easy to implement than Blades mechanic from Xenoblade 2.
3) First female-black character and I know some of you would really love that.
4) Rex is already a Mii Costume and I know there isn't a rule that says "Mii costumes deconfirmed" but Sakurai has said that they are like a compensation.

Whether they include her or Rex, I hope they include some tracks from Xeno X, more from Xeno 2, Xeno 2 Torna and the new epilogue from Xeno DE. Here is a potential list:

1) Xenoblade X - Back Tar [Battle Theme]
2) Xenoblade X - Uncontrollable
3) Xenoblade X - NO.EX01
4) Xenoblade X - Wir fliegen (Overdrive theme)
5) Xenoblade X - The key we've lost
6) Xenoblade 2 - Exploration
7) Xenoblade 2 - Battle in the Skies Above
8) Xenoblade 2 - Bringer of Chaos (Zeke Battle)
9) Xenoblade 2: Torna - Battle!!
10) Xenoblade DE - Time to Fight! (Bionis Shoulder)
11) Xenoblade DE - Fog Beast Battle
12) Xenosaga III - The Battle of your Soul [Big Surprise]

With the 10 tracks included in base game, you would get a total of 22 songs.

Mii costumes: Zeke (Xeno 2), Jin (Xeno 2) and Kos-Mos (Xenosaga)

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I have a weird nagging feeling that despite Sakurai saying “no plans after this pass” we could get FPV3 or even a few more individual DLCs. It’ll probably be another pass as when you play with rules on the stage select screen post-Min Min shifts the button down another row and here’s the kicker

Generally, a further season is always held off as a surprise toward the end of the current season. No plans also suggests they don't also have plans to specifically move on from ultimate. Rolling out DLC for a hugely successful game is a good gig for however long it lasts, and Sakurai's commitment to fund his staff in their ability to work from home, rather than rely on Namco or Nintendo to do so, shows incredible passion for the game.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I've said this before (I think?) but I don't think that Mii costumes really count as a strike against any character. If a Spirit isn't a deconfirmation, why should a Mii costume? As with Spirits, the only ones that really deconfirm I feel are the ones added post-launch, since in that case, they could've just held them back until the fighter joined. And even then, there's a bit of a gray area there with the deciding point for this seconnd pass. In either case, Rex' Mii costume can very easily be seen as a post-launch deconfirm, since it came as a bonus for the first pass, and the way that Sakurai presented it and all of the content from 2 was, in hindsight, pretty reminiscent of his fighter/Mii costume showcases.

Either way, I'll say this: If, after all this waiting and uncertainty, we only get more 2 content for DLC instead of, y'know, actually getting Elma and some significant X content, that'd be a big slap in the face.

Found the tweet

TEN. STAGES. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS
They don't necessarily have to fill that out, though. They didn't bother getting the Smash 4 character select screen into a good shape either, after all.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the fence about post launch spirits deconfirming simply due to what happened with Astral Chain. Had they waited until after Byleth had been announced AC would have been treated like a lock. As it is people treat it as being deconfirmed. All it comes down to is... Do you think the smash team are aware of the fan rules? Also not wiating for the character to be DLC means you essentially get a free spirit event out of a game and you can do it closer to the games launch (Not that AC counts for this).

But maybe I just want Astral Chain and Resident Evil in smash... that's a possibility.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Whether they include her or Rex, I hope they include some tracks from Xeno X, more from Xeno 2, Xeno 2 Torna and the new epilogue from Xeno DE.
Yeah, regardless of who the Xeno rep ends up being I hope they spread the love in terms of side content. I’d be perfectly content if the pack had an XB2 character and an X stage, with music from both. X’s world is lauded over the other games but 1 and 2’s characters are more beloved so it’d be fitting for the most memorable world to be the stage and the more beloved characters as fighters, while championing the series as a whole.
I think Elma in XB2 is proof they’re thinking of the series as a whole and a mix of content in Smash would be a good way of future proofing games by giving them all attention.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we did somehow get a XB2 character, and it couldn’t be Rex, I’d love Zeke

like for real dude’s so comically over the top and a snacc

Is there a Zeke support thread? If not there should be gosh darn it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've felt like after Min Min was announced, another Xenoblade rep was a given for this Pass. Both a Arms rep and a Xenoblade rep was speculated heavily for Ultimate even way before we even knew the name of this Smash entry. I believe with this in mind, Sakurai will add another Xenoblade rep.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

Sakurai already brought up the possibility of including 100 characters in Smash
Since both Reggie and Sakurai stated that Smash is intended to be one of the “most ambitious crossover in video game history”.

https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate#Placeholder_Fighter_Slots
https://www.dexerto.com/amp/smash/smash-ultimate-creator-details-future-dlc-plans-1014225
https://youtu.be/52M3EfVZTGo?t=151
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/20/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-1/

Sakurai: "At the same time, if we were to keep adding popular characters to Smash as DLC, we’d eat up IPs in no time flat. Moreover, people’s “shock and awe” would gradually start to fade. If at some point in the future we had 100 characters in Smash, adding the 101st character wouldn’t have the same impact as new fighters have had up until now. In that sense, I feel now is the perfect time to close the curtains on development."

It isn’t strange for Smash to achieve having 100 playable characters considering other games such as Tobal 2 and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate has already achieved that.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2018/10/record-breaking-hack-and-slash-game-warriors-orochi-4-has-170-playable-characters-544618/

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, since we don't really have much else to discuss here due to current lack of Nintendo news, I figured that this is worth sharing:

The title of the video should give you a good enough idea on what it's about. Reason why it's worth sharing is because towards the end, they talk about Spirit upgrades they wanna see, and our (here previously mentioned) MVP Jon Cartwright brings up Elma.
Like I said, not much, but it's still nice to hear some noteworthy validation.

Top Bottom