• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Xenoblade's 10th anniversary being celebrated with art of all three games by CHOCO!
Heh, that makes it look like Shulk and Rex are holding out the Monado and Aegis out for Elma, who in turn's reaching out to grab those. Which, for the record, I'm all for.
Also, it's pretty fitting that Rex is in a boobs-and-butt pose there, considering that Xenoblade 2 is. . . like that.

It is problem with the Smash fanbase in general. They have been conditioned to believe that whatever character that has some arbitrary "chance" could happen so vocal fan demand will appear to attempt to push them in as if the companies actually listen to "fan demand" to begin with. If giving the developers a motive in the form of "fan demand" alone would put them in Smash such as Cloud Strife, Ridley, Banjo Kazooie, Little Mac, etc, logically it can be applied to any character. Some of them act hostile for some people wanting more then one character from the same series because they should only be for "representation" rather then people genuinely like the characters. Despite Smash having a history of adding characters that were perceived to be "impossible".

Even Sakurai thought that Cloud Strife and Dragon Quest weren't "possible". But allegedly, fans still demand them. If think the developers listen to “fan demand” as a motive to make something happen then exercise this fan demand. If Nathan Drake from Uncharted is “impossible”, it shouldn’t deter people from expressing from having interest and wanting him in. Like how the crossover of Final Fantasy XIV and NieR Automata happen because “fans requested it” despite them have very different themes to them. Drakengard/NieR doesn’t "fit" for crossovers like Final Fantasy due to clashing of themes like nihilism and such.
https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/gett...s-they-talk-all-things-yorha-dark-apocalypse/

"Crossovers aren't unusual for Final Fantasy 14. The constantly growing MMO has had its fair share of team-ups with other games since it launched in 2010, with special events running alongside massive expansions over the years. Characters from other Final Fantasy games have made special appearances, and series including Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest have got in on the action. But Nier is rather different from those, considering its subversive brand of nihilistic philosophy."

OPM: Nier: Automata doesn't seem like an obvious choice to cross over with Final Fantasy 14. How did the idea come about?

Yoko Taro: I think this project came about when I had the opportunity to talk with producer Yoshida for a completely different matter. But I was eating a delicious steak at the time, and I was so invested in it that I wasn't listening. (Just kidding.)

Naoki Yoshida: From all over the world, we had been receiving requests saying that they want to wear outfits from the Nier series and for us to collaborate. Then I thought that it would be much more interesting to collaborate on a game level rather than just equipment. Plus I wanted to work with Yoko-san so I bribed him with drinks and steak.

It doesn't help that Sakurai at times behaves as if fan requests matter then they don't.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/apptri...bros-ultimate-sakurai-character-requests/amp/
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...timate-boss-asks-players-please/1100-6472836/

Sakurai behaved as if he can only choose one new character from a certain series as he had not added Chocobo or Slime or another SNK character.
https://tinyurl.com/we2w3r8

– From Sakurai’s side, he says that requests to add in a Dragon Quest representative have been around for a long time, but he felt it wasn’t possible​
– However, Nintendo approached Sakurai, saying it might be possible, and so he ended up doing the presentation proposal with the intent of working with Dragon Quest, although what from Dragon Quest would be worked out later on​

Sakurai doesn't seem to be allowed or wouldn't have another Final Fantasy rep alongside with Cloud Strife.
https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/...inal-fantasy-representative-super-smash-bros/
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

The point of Cloud Strife's inclusion was intended to rep Final Fantasy in general, and to satisfy fans:

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.
Nomura: When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all.
Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

If "fans" truly want more Final Fantasy characters, they should request more then one to begin with. Maybe then we would have seen Cloud showing up with Chocobo, Terra, Bartz, Moogle, Warrior of Light, and Black Mage.

Characters like Cloud and Final Fantasy was and will always be welcome in Smash. They’re beloved and legendary.

However, there’s nothing wrong with asking for more. Demands and complaints lead to improvement. We should always increase our expectations and want more out of our product.

There's like a dozen ATs that should be playable, which is why Ultimate should become a continuous platform with crossplay. It could be developed indefinitely by a small upstart team with new energy, and Sakurai could be free aside from a consulting role and could die in peace. It would prevent disappointing anyone with inevitable cuts in future games and eliminate disappointment for advertising characters like Corrin and instead make them exciting by eliminating the concept of "slots".

A rep of the Virtual Boy such as Harry from Teleroboxer,

A PC rep such as Dr. Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, Yuriko Omega from Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, Agent 47 from Hitman,

A Mobile rep such as a character from Dragalia Lost, Katalina from Granblue Fantasy, Rain from Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Lif from Fire Emblem Heroes, Alice, Snow White, and Cinderella from SINoALICE.

A Horror Genre rep such as Pyramid Head from Silent Hill, Albert Wesker from Resident Evil, Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem

A Beat em up Genre rep such as Axel Stone from Streets of Rage, Mike Haggar from Final Fight,

Third parties characters with no Nintendo platforms appearances prior, such as Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria.

Third parties series getting more then one unique rep, from those in Smash and others such as Drakengard/NieR, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Soul Edge/Soul Calibur, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, etc

any series getting more then one new unique rep like the previous Smash games managed to do
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Fighter

such as Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Any series getting repped with a villain instead of this alleged “protagonist first” mentality Sakurai supposedly has, such as Heihachi Mishima from Tekken, Nightmare from Soul Edge, Vaas Montenegro from Far Cry 3, Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2, Master Aqua from Kingdom Hearts, Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria, Zero/ from Drakengard 3, Caim from Drakengard, Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness Sanity’s Requiem, Albert Wesker from Resident Evil, Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2,

Characters having a NPC role in the form of Assist Trophy being playable in the same installment, such as Waluigi, Black Knight, Lyndis, Tiki, Midna, Skull Kid, Isaac, Takamaru, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Alucard, Sukapon, Riki, Sablé Prince, Saki Amamiya, Samurai Goroh, Dillon the Armadillo, Sheriff, Ashley, Gray Fox, Shadow the Hedgehog, Rodin, Zero, & Knuckles.

Ryu Hayabusa
Adol Christin
Fei Fong Wong
Chu-Chu
Big Joe
Q*bert
Crash Bandicoot
Dr. Cortex
Lip
Marcus "Needles" Kane
Calypso
Spyro
Ken Masters
Heihachi Mishima
Nightmare & Siegfried
Fighter Hayabusa
Star Man
Mike Jones
Luna Noah
Axel Stone
Lara Croft
Harry Mason
Bill Rizer
Lance Bean
Polygon Man
Alex Kidd
Opa-Opa
Conker the Squirrel
Jago
Fulgore
Battletoads
Segata Sanshiro
Sakura Shinguji
Captain N
Nester
Lester the Unlikely
Tin Star
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Rayman
The Prince of Persia
Chocobo
Slime
Geese Howard
Zethia
https://smashboards.com/threads/i-think-this-might-be-interesting-to-look-at-melee-1999-poll.81891/
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl/40963142
https://smashboards.com/threads/new...irectory-check-here-before-making-one.446333/

Master Aqua, Sora, Riku, YoRHa Type A No.2, YoRHa Type S No. 9, YoRHa Type B No. 2, Caim, Nowe, Zero, Emil, Gray Fox, Shadow the Hedgehog, Blaze the Cat, Infinite/Zero the Jackal, Kiryu Kazama, Goro Majima, Mistral, Blade Wolf/LQ-84i, Big Boss, The Boss, Raiden, Solidus Snake, Liquid Snake, Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin, Psycho Mantis, Revolver "Revolver Ocelot" Ocelot, Jeanne, Rosa, Father Balder, Enzo, Rodin, Kat & Dusty, Raven & Xii, Fei Fong Wong, ID, Grahf, Seeker of Power, Lieutenant Elehayym Van Houten, Emeralda, Big Joe, Elehayym Van Houten, Chu-Chu, Citan Uzuki, Maria Balthasar, Bartholomew Fatima, Ricardo Banderas, Shion Uzuki, KOS-MOS, chaos, Gaignun Kukai Jr., Jin Uzuki, Ziggy, Albedo Piazzolla, T-elos, Voyager, Kevin Winnicot, Black Knight, Rex and Pyra/Mythra/Green Ponytail, Jin, Malos, Lin Lee Koo, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Shantae, Captain Risky Boots, Spy Fox, Russian Blue, Artorias of the Abyss, Solaire of Astora, Geese Howard, Mai Shiranui, Athena Asamiya, Kyo Kusanagi, Iori Yagami, Kula Diamond, Leona Heidern, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Sophitia Alexandra , Tira, Geralt of Rivia, Heihachi Mishima, Kazuya Mishima, Jin Mishima, Velvet Crowe, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Leon Magnus, Crono, Frog, Terra Branford, General Celes Chere, Shadow, Locke Cole, Bartz Klauser, Warrior of Light, Vincent Valentine, Kefka Palazzo, Sephiroth, Psaro the Manslayer, Slime, Jack Frost, Morgana, Akemi Nakajima, Kasumi Yoshizawa, Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi,Adam Jensen, JC Denton, Gordon Freeman, G-Man, GLaDOS, Chell, Cave Johnson, Doug Rattmann, Wheatley, ATLAS and P-body, Demoman, Heavy Weapons Guy, Medic, Pyro, Scout, Soldier, Spy, Commander Shepard, Tali'Zorah, Urdnot Wrex, Javik, Kasumi Goto, Crash Bandicoot, Doctor Neo Periwinkle Cortex, Spyro the Dragon, Cynder the Dragon, Malefor, Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Shao Jun, Desmond Miles, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Albert Wesker, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong, Nemesis, Harry Mason, Pyramid Head, Vergil, Nero the Notorious Deadbeat, V, Guest Starring The SKULLS Unit, Featuring Dante from The Devil May Cry Series & Knuckles.

Sakurai's whole point of adding Piranha Plant was to show that you don't have to be the main character, or even an important character, to make it into Smash yet some people still refuse to accept that
https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros?amp

The Super Smash Bros. series has always spawned much fan speculation for characters that will be included, but with Piranha Plant, you have given players one of the most unpredictable inclusions. How does it feel to be able to still surprise fans even so many years later? Was that one of the intents of the inclusion of this character?

Sakurai: I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made.

Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?

Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. And, I want to make sure to remind everyone that it is a limited-time offer fighter everyone can get for free as an early-purchase bonus.

Previous Smash games has managed to include more then one new fighter from the same series, be it "clone" or unique.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Fighter
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Clone

There are examples of characters appearing in other games due to popularity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breakout_characters
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakoutCharacter

This is in with Sakurai and Reggie claiming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is an "ambitious crossover".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de...-creator-details-future-dlc-plans-1014225/amp

Bottom line: Any characters can be in Smash due to giving the Smash devs an excuse: "fan requests" regardless of perceived "chances". If you don't exercise this fan demand, then they won't join in Smash because of "fan requests" and if they do, it's for the developers own reasons.
Uhh, you mind putting that in a spoiler tag? 'Cause that's a lot of text for something that's ultimately not directly related to either Xenoblade, or the characters from those games.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, you mind putting that in a spoiler tag? 'Cause that's a lot of text for something that's ultimately not directly related to either Xenoblade, or the characters from those games.
I appreciate that's it's not specifically about Elma, but I think it relates to alot of the issues that come up when discussing characters like her, and franchises like Xenoblade in Smash, and while this is an Elma thread, it's still in the speculation board. It's valuable to consider how we speculate, and why.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, what would one expect to do, sit there, do nothing at all, wait and hope to see if their character gets in if the big guys will it so?

As far as I see, the series fan demand does absolutely nothing for beyond bringing back veterans (apart from IPs that don't have much potential candidates to begin with) are F-Zero, Pokémon and Fire Emblem (maybe even Star Fox and Wario Ware, depending on how well those last later on). If they didn't care about what some fans wanted, they wouldn't even organise official polls and ballots in the first place. It was even outright said in the fine print of the Japanese site for 4's ballot that results may be considered for future games.

If anything, the hardcore fanbase constantly misses the big picture in regards to support; for every fan that wants Elma, there's likely a dozen more that are likelier to want Pauline or the Pokémon-starter-of-the-day instead.

We're not in the era of aiming strictly for casuals anymore, as the Switch aims for both young adults and younger kids, while still providing something for longtime veterans. Catering to consumers is one thing, but there's nothing to gain from completely alienating one specific group of consumers in favor of another. Balance is key. Smash is ostensibly a kids' game series, but still keeps in mind that it has an older audience that follows it, with some of the characters being for fans of games aimed at older audiences. And while there are characters added to prop up recent games, other ones would not have been there if there wasn't any demand for them. Then there's the ones added at the developer's own whimsy, if only to provide something a little more outside of the norm in regards to gameplay.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I appreciate that's it's not specifically about Elma, but I think it relates to alot of the issues that come up when discussing characters like her, and franchises like Xenoblade in Smash, and while this is an Elma thread, it's still in the speculation board. It's valuable to consider how we speculate, and why.
And it's still a huge wall of text.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
So, what would one expect to do, sit there, do nothing at all, wait and hope to see if their character gets in if the big guys will it so?
I still think it's worth supporting the games and characters you love, and speculation is whatever you get out of it. If you enjoy the community around you then engage with them (that's why I'm mostly only in this thread, I genuinely like the culture around Elma's potential inclusion) or if you get a rush out of being able to guess newcomers correctly, then go for it, try to figure them out. For the most part though, yeah, you do just have to wait and see what happens, the fans don't control the direction of the game, but I believe they have some influence, and now and then, that's what'll put a character over the edge.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Xenoblade's 10th anniversary being celebrated with art of all three games by CHOCO!
*sweating*
Damn, Elma! W-Why you looking at me with them eyes, girl?

It feels so strange wanting both Rex and Elma.

I feel like most people hate the one that's not the one they prefer.
Considering how much competition there is between characters across all franchises and given the fact that both Rex and Elma are in awkward situations it feels like 'one or the other, if any at all'...In which case most would be going with their preference.

I think it's also due to the fact that Elma sort of has this perceived 'seniority' since her game was out first and people thought she had high chances going into the main game given the timeframe when X was released, and Rex was essentially given a hard DECONFIRM at the start of DLC when initially it seemed like he was a lock as DLC, so the animosity between both to me at least seems understandable.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
It may well be on purpose. I've been thinking about how interesting it is that Shulk and Rex both have their hands relaxed on their blades whilst looking back over their shoulders, but Elma is seen reaching out for hers, or even past them. Perhaps representing her in the process on obtaining what the other 2 already have. Considering it's officially commisioned art, I think it's interesting. But maybe I'm the one who's reaching.

Also, browsing comments wherever the arts been posted, it's been amazing seeing all the comments about X, I think it's treatment as the series black sheep might be grossly overstated.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Possible hint for a hypothetical XCX2?

Or not...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It may well be on purpose. I've been thinking about how interesting it is that Shulk and Rex both have their hands relaxed on their blades whilst looking back over their shoulders, but Elma is seen reaching out for hers, or even past them. Perhaps representing her in the process on obtaining what the other 2 already have. Considering it's officially commisioned art, I think it's interesting. But maybe I'm the one who's reaching.

Also, browsing comments wherever the arts been posted, it's been amazing seeing all the comments about X, I think it's treatment as the series black sheep might be grossly overstated.
People who are negative tend to be more vocal, what else is new.
Yes I know that that easily applies to me and 2.
But I'm right so that's a difference.

Or you know. XCX Director’s Cut (wouldn’t use Definitive Edition per se anymore)
Xenoblade Chronicles X Switch Definitive Director's Cut & Knuckles.
. . .New Tatsu Mode!

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
. . .New Tatsu Mode!
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!

...Now that I think about it, Dante and Elma teaming up would be pretty badass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It would be nice to know if it gets an official placement within the series mythology at some point. Right now, I can't tell if it's supposed to be a spin-off, sequel or interquel. As long as we don't get another "Bravely Second/Bravely Default II" situation in the end.

In the meantime, XC1DE's sales should help boost up chances for a Switch port of XCX.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If they re-released XCXDE/XCXDC, do you think they would add more story and/or companions to it like they did with XCDE? They did have the four companions as DLC originally (in Japan; they came standard with the game when it released overseas), so it’s not out of the question. I have no idea what exactly they would add on storywise though. I wouldn’t mind a Torna-esque story delving into Elma’s backstory a bit more.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Finally managed to save up some money and picked up Xenoblade Chronicles DE today!

So I guess now...

...its :ultshulk: Time!

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHH!

Alright so now there's just one Xenoblade game I'm missing on my Switch, so let's fix this problem Nintendo!

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I think I said it before, but if X came to the switch, rather than having a subtitle like definitive edition, I would love for it to get a story related subtitle writen in german, that way it would look like the new Xenosaga (and the sequel could follow the same way they did for saga, by having an "episode II" and another german subtitle)

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I think I said it before, but if X came to the switch, rather than having a subtitle like definitive edition, I would love for it to get a story related subtitle writen in german, that way it would look like the new Xenosaga (and the sequel could follow the same way they did for saga, by having an "episode II" and another german subtitle)
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Panzer Dragoon Zwei

a random user

Smash Journeyman
People who are negative tend to be more vocal, what else is new.
Yes I know that that easily applies to me and 2.
But I'm right so that's a difference.

. . .New Tatsu Mode!
featuring new cooking minigame

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MIN MIN IS THE ARMS REP! AND SHES A SPIRIT WHICH MEANS...

SPIRITS NO LONGER DECONFIRM! LET’S GO ELMA!!!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
ARM's producer picked Minmin, so I guess pray that Takahashi gets asked on his preference and picks Elma.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is great news for anyone backing Spirit-to-playable characters.
Also Min-Min is the first 1st party female character DLC (if we discount Byleth), so who knows, maybe this time they're going all/mostly female.

That official art of Shulk, Elma and Rex is really good. It's nice seeing that they are still putting X alongside the main series; I like that.
Gives me some feeling like they're really trying to make them all work in their own way. I know it's just an anniversary piece, but it makes me excited.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ARM's producer picked Minmin, so I guess pray that Takahashi gets asked on his preference and picks Elma.
Seeing as how the ARMS rep isn’t Ribbon Girl who’s a costume, I’d say that was a silent deconfirm for Mii costumes that don’t have their playable equivalent already there so Rex is out

it’s down to Elma, Mecha-Fiora and Lora now imo

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Min Min: "I'm not the messiah."
Everyone who wants spirits playable: "She is the messiah!"

but seriously: im VERY happy with this. Min Min looks pretty awesome and i already love the stage.
Spirits are now in the running! Shantae, Elma, Fiora, Octoling LETS GOOO!!!

btw i love the fact that they got freakin Ryo Horikawa for a few eating-sfx. Thats hilarious. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Seeing as how the ARMS rep isn’t Ribbon Girl who’s a costume, I’d say that was a silent deconfirm for Mii costumes that don’t have their playable equivalent already there so Rex is out

*cries in XC2* As much as I love my driver boye, I think you're probably right about the Mii costumes. Especially since Sakurai just dropped a bit of a bomb on Heihachi fans today. I'm betting on either Elma or KOS-MOS for a Monolith rep, assuming we get one. Elma's a lock if the long-speculated port/remaster of X is indeed in the works. And as much as I'd like to see Fiora, I think her addition to Shulk's Final Smashes hurts her chances, even if a second DLC wave wasn't in the cards when the base game wrapped development.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
*cries in XC2* As much as I love my driver boye, I think you're probably right about the Mii costumes. Especially since Sakurai just dropped a bit of a bomb on Heihachi fans today. I'm betting on either Elma or KOS-MOS for a Monolith rep, assuming we get one. Elma's a lock if the long-speculated port/remaster of X is indeed in the works. And as much as I'd like to see Fiora, I think her addition to Shulk's Final Smashes hurts her chances, even if a second DLC wave wasn't in the cards when the base game wrapped development.
For the Fiora thing: Chrom. Just Chrom. If he can do it so can she.

I think we could get both Elma and KOS-MOS if KOS-MOS is treated as a Namco rep, esp since I think Lloyd’s 4 costume will return too

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman

I think we could get both Elma and KOS-MOS if KOS-MOS is treated as a Namco rep, esp since I think Lloyd’s 4 costume will return too
I suspect the Lloyd outfit will come with a 'Tales of' rep before they'd add KOS-MOS to be honest, just because I think 2 'Xeno' games might be too much, but I'd love to see her. I think if they ever did Echoes, and Elma got in... Fiora has a shot. I personally doubt our second Xeno rep will come from XC1, as awesome as she is.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

I completely forgot about Chrom! Almost like Robin's Final Smash is terrible or something... Fiora definitely works then. Spoilers be damned. Melia's still XC1's best girl though.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So, I just finished DE and Future Connected and it was pretty awesome experience. I loved what they were able to do with the Shoulder. While the plot was simple, I loved how they gave continuity to Xenoblade 1's story.
I was also reading some impressions and stumbled upon this post on Resetera theorizing about what the Fog King can mean and, oh boy, am I HYPED for the next game... We will get X2 next, I'm sure of it.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
So, I just finished DE and Future Connected and it was pretty awesome experience. I loved what they were able to do with the Shoulder. While the plot was simple, I loved how they gave continuity to Xenoblade 1's story.
I was also reading some impressions and stumbled upon this post on Resetera theorizing about what the Fog King can mean and, oh boy, am I HYPED for the next game... We will get X2 next, I'm sure of it.
Thank you for this link! I've been looking for more analysis on X lore and not finding it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Eh?

But Min Min wasn't picked because Ribbon Girl wasn't an option.

She was picked due to being Yabuki's favorite (and popularity).

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
As much as it pains me to realize characters like Geno still have a shot: Yes on Min Min breaking the Spirit "rule". Now I can go back hoping for both Elma and Edelgard again!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Yep, Elma has a chance again, but being a bit realist here, if Sakurai was allowed to rep Xenoblade again he'd probably be dead set on bringing Rex & Pyra back since he really wanted to add them during development.
I'm really starting to feel like people tend to overstate just how big of a fan of Xenoblade 2 Sakurai is. Just because he liked the game and apologized for R*x not making it in, doesn't mean that he's some kind of super hardcore Xenoblade 2 stan who weeps every night 'cause he didn't get to include characters from the game in Smash Ultimate. That's precisely the kind of thinking that the Geno fanbase tends to be guilty of as well.

While I like that line of thinking, I don't think that the reasoning really holds up. If being a Spirit and (potentially) an Assist Trophy isn't enough to hold a character back, then I doubt that being a Mii custome is enough. Being a DLC Mii custome, no matter how early it was released, might be another story.

Pretty compelling read. And come to think of it:

The music used for Alcamoth in Future Connected is the same as the one used in the final area of the main game, Memory Space. Memory Space of course being an area that's a recreation of the "real" world, complete with the planets of the solar system being landmarks. And with Alcamoth being the place where the Fog King dwells
Yep, Elma has a chance again, but being a bit realist here, if Sakurai was allowed to rep Xenoblade again he'd probably be dead set on bringing Rex & Pyra back since he really wanted to add them during development.
I'm really starting to feel like people tend to overstate just how big of a fan of Xenoblade 2 Sakurai is. Just because he liked the game and apologized for R*x not making it in, doesn't mean that he's some kind of super hardcore Xenoblade 2 stan who weeps every night 'cause he didn't get to include characters from the game in Smash Ultimate. That's precisely the kind of thinking that the Geno fanbase tends to be guilty of as well.

While I like that line of thinking, I don't think that the reasoning really holds up. If being a Spirit and (potentially) an Assist Trophy isn't enough to hold a character back, then I doubt that being a Mii custome is enough. Being a DLC Mii custome, no matter how early it was released, might be another story.

Pretty compelling read. And come to think of it:

The music used for Alcamoth in Future Connected is the same as the one used in the final area of the main game, Memory Space. Memory Space of course being an area that's a recreation of the "real" world, complete with the planets of the solar system being landmarks. And with Alcamoth being the place where the Fog King dwells, and X taking place in our world. . . I suppose that strengthens that theory.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Would it be smart for Elma to show up as a DLC character to build up her reputation higher for if Xenoblade X ever gets remastered or something?

Top Bottom