• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie
Yeah but ARMS has one assist trophy and two mii costumes, I think it is in the same level or even better than the content that Xenoblade 2 got.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
According to this video’s description, there are 90 remastered music tracks in the Definitive Edition! If they give Unfinished Battle a full loop, it’s going to be Game of the Century.

On another note, why aren’t there any music tracks from X in Smash? There is literally no reason. People talked about how it might have been licensing issues, but Uncontrollable was in XB2. I really don’t think it’s an issue, which makes The absence all the more suspicious to me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
According to this video’s description, there are 90 remastered music tracks in the Definitive Edition! If they give Unfinished Battle a full loop, it’s going to be Game of the Century.

On another note, why aren’t there any music tracks from X in Smash? There is literally no reason. People talked about how it might have been licensing issues, but Uncontrollable was in XB2. I really don’t think it’s an issue, which makes The absence all the more suspicious to me.
they're saving it for Elma. gotta be. please

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Some huge changes for the UI all around, from menus to battle. QoLs from X and 2 are coming, we can see there is fashion gear from X and a timer for break/topple/daze like 2. Yet for my surprise they kept the battle pallet like the original and x, humm, peculiar, but well, okay then. The enter battle commands is like Torna though.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
On twitter someone posted a pic of the menu where we could see equip for appearance, so yeah.

https://twitter.com/PJiggles_/status/1243199765770391554
Ohh, that's really nice! I honestly hope that they make the most out of this, and also give us outfits based on other characters in the series, like giving us outfits based on characters from the other games, like giving us armour sets that look like the outfits of Elma, Lora, Jin or Lao. And maybe Tatsu for Riki.

Also a somewhat minor thing to bring up here, but Chuggaaconroy is celebrating his twelfth year of making Let's Plays, and in that video mentions that for some time during the coming year, he intends to begin what is going to be the longest series that he ever had. Considering that in the past he has already played the original Xenoblade Chronicles which ended up at about ~120 episodes, it could conceivably be X.
Though I also wouldn't be surprised if it was Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Elma stands a really good chance of getting in if this entire Pass is just characters people thought were getting in at base game and Nintendo got confused and thought that meant everyone wanted them in so bad that they'd still care about them two years later. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts are all over the place today, partially cause Min Min (and ARMS in general) was among my hopes for Smash and was among the ones I was least expecting to actually happen now in 2020, and because I feel like Elma's chances look more positive today than they have in a long while. Regardless I wanted to collect a few thoughts about how ARMS is represented in Smash currently and how that relates to XCX.

Neither game is represented with Fighter Pass content (Characters, Stages or Music tracks) however each has 5 spirits, a nice number that exceeds many smaller Nintendo games and franchises but also leaves room for growth. We'll see in June wether Season 2 characters have spirit boards and if the old ARMS spirits are on there aswell. Either way both games have an extended cast beyond the 5 present currently.

In regards to music, theres no evidence that including tracks from either game at launch would have been a challenge, in light of today's announcement it feels like ARMS music was held off, suggesting that Season 2 characters have been 'planned' for some time. Let's call it penciled in. Seriously go on Youtube an give the ARMS ost a listen and tell me the Smash team just said no to that and now changed their minds (Via Dolce is a personal favourite).

It's where ARMS and XCX content differs I find most interesting. ARMS got Spring Man as an Assist Trophy and both him and Ribbon Girl as Mii costumes. For awhile now I've been considering the merits of XCX content in the form of an Elma Assist Trophy (at launch) or a mii costume and weither I'd prefer that to endless speculation. Today something else dawned on me. Personally from the wording of the Direct, I do not believe Spring Man is going to be the ARMS fighter.

Let's assume for now that it will not be him and they knew it wasn't going to be him since before they made him an Assist. Ruling out Spring Man presents many other viable options, it's a fighting game afterall and aside from being on the box theres not a huge gulf of difference in screen time to the various characters. That's not true for XCX, If we were in this situation with Elma as an Assist and XCX getting a character but we don't know who it'd be really odd to be considering Lin or Lao for the role. Likewise imagine the game launched with Lin as an assist trophy? This thread would be very different I imagine.

On top of all that we have a date for XCDE and the reveal of Future Connected. considering that name, How big the Torna Expac was for XC2 and that we only see Shulk and Melia as party members, I wonder if we're getting a new campaign that serves as a tie in to XC2 and possible XCX, in an effort to connect together a fanbase sperated by console generations and pathing the way to the next game in the series. A series that judging by Monolith's hiring site, hasn't forgotten X.

Sorry for the long post, cooped up at home at the moment, y'all heard about this virus going about? crazy.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think our chances just improved significantly. Rex is still more likely though and tbh I'd be fine with either.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nintendo's still picking the season pass and all we've seen so far is "a character who would've gotten in the base game, explicitly, if not for timing". Based on that (Nintendo wanting to shill evergreen Switch titles) it's going to be Rex. The good news is you can save 30 bucks on the Fighter's Pass by not buying it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And here I thought Elma was gonna be the shill pick.
I mean if she guest appears in XCDE, or if XCXDE is announced... I have a feeling we’re getting an ARMS rep cause Nintendo specifically wants to promote it more. There’d be no point in promoting Xenoblade 2 at this point

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Consider how brutally hilarious it'll be if we're all here in this thread in a year or more complaining about how the Smash community hates Elma because she's a shill pick nobody asked for from the new Wii U port that no one ever played. You know that reality exists and I hope if it ever comes to pass we can look back on this period and laugh. I was dreading the reaction to Elma, but honestly, now that'd I've gotten Bayonetta, Three Houses and ARMS into Smash I'm just used to it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A thought

If we do get a Xenoblade rep this pass it won’t be Rex. Why? Yes, there’s an ARMS rep coming but there’s no guarantee it’ll be Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl (they’d have said so imo). It’ll probably be a spirit like Min Min. Spring Man being an AT aside, ARMS had no music in the base game, and all DLC fighters with the exception of Piranha Plant came with music.

now, Xenoblade 2 has music. Not a lot but it still has. By this logic it’d be pointless to add a fighter with more XC2 music. X, however, has no music at all. So I think and hope this works out in Elma’s favor

tl;dr you’ve heard of “music theory” now get ready for “LACK of music theory” - any series that has no music in base (or for series with multiple installments, music from that specific installment) has a shot for DLC. I’m also hoping for Octoling cause of this because there’s no Octo Expansion music (which Smash NEEDS).

jamesster445

Smash Lord
To play Devils advocate, any new XB rep can be confirmed and with them they could potentially bring more XB2 music, XB DE music, and the missing XBX music.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A thought

If we do get a Xenoblade rep this pass it won’t be Rex. Why? Yes, there’s an ARMS rep coming but there’s no guarantee it’ll be Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl (they’d have said so imo). It’ll probably be a spirit like Min Min. Spring Man being an AT aside, ARMS had no music in the base game, and all DLC fighters with the exception of Piranha Plant came with music.

now, Xenoblade 2 has music. Not a lot but it still has. By this logic it’d be pointless to add a fighter with more XC2 music. X, however, has no music at all. So I think and hope this works out in Elma’s favor

tl;dr you’ve heard of “music theory” now get ready for “LACK of music theory” - any series that has no music in base (or for series with multiple installments, music from that specific installment) has a shot for DLC. I’m also hoping for Octoling cause of this because there’s no Octo Expansion music (which Smash NEEDS).
Holy **** you could be right. Xenoblade X music not being in the base game could work in Elma's favor over Rex since music tracks is an important part of a Challenger Pack and there is already Xenoblade 2 music in the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To play Devils advocate, any new XB rep can be confirmed and with them they could potentially bring more XB2 music, XB DE music, and the missing XBX music.
I think they’d place more emphasis on X. I do see 2, DE and Torna music being included with Elma but the majority will be X tracks

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm unsure how to feel about Elma's chances until we see if she has any role to play in XCDE.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
An XCXDE reveal in the June video presentation, set for a Winter release, could help too
Okay, but why would they announce and release another Xenoblade game in the same year as the one they're currently trying to push? I don't think Nintendo wants to risk creating confusion and competition between the two games, so I think XCXDE is more likely to be revealed next year with a possible late 2021/early 2022 release.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Well, Elma's chances have certainly improved vastly as a result of the ARMS announcement. After Byleth I figured Cross had a better chance at that point, and he was a large stretch as well.

The thing with the ARMS deal is that... our fan rules are about to be broken, no matter what. For all intents and purposes, Spring Man is the poster boy, or lead man, for ARMS and was selected as the assist trophy for that reason. Any character that isn't Spring Man defeats the MC narrative. Spring Man himself would display an AT upgrading to fighter within the same game. And right now, it is VERY HARD to believe that the ARMS fighter will not be one of the five spirit characters. They are the best representatives for that series and were chosen for that reason. But who knows, chances are Nintendo wants to give Max Brass a big push. You never know. lol

Anyway, for Elma, this is good news for several reasons. Ignoring Sawano's absence here, Elma also has a potential future as well. Her story is NOT FINISHED. X has a hanging cliffhanger as of this post. It would be sad if Monolith Soft suddenly wanted to ignore X's existence and pretended it never happened, but I don't think that's the case. We'll see X again at some point. Whether they choose to reboot the Wii U game, or hop straight into a sequel remains to be seen. But all indications suggest Elma will remain a major player for future installments in some capacity.

Where as Rex's story is probably over, Elma's still continues and works better as a promo for future X content. Plus Sawano is very popular with anime fans, and Elma, as a PoC character, will probably have social media talking. That's a lot of cross over eyes balls looking in Smash's direction, and then indirectly, in Xenoblade X's direction. I think she'd be a great choice for Nintendo besides satisfying my bias.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well, Elma's chances have certainly improved vastly as a result of the ARMS announcement. After Byleth I figured Cross had a better chance at that point, and he was a large stretch as well.

The thing with the ARMS deal is that... our fan rules are about to be broken, no matter what. For all intents and purposes, Spring Man is the poster boy, or lead man, for ARMS and was selected as the assist trophy for that reason. Any character that isn't Spring Man defeats the MC narrative. Spring Man himself would display an AT upgrading to fighter within the same game. And right now, it is VERY HARD to believe that the ARMS fighter will not be one of the five spirit characters. They are the best representatives for that series and were chosen for that reason. But who knows, chances are Nintendo wants to give Max Brass a big push. You never know. lol

Anyway, for Elma, this is good news for several reasons. Ignoring Sawano's absence here, Elma also has a potential future as well. Her story is NOT FINISHED. X has a hanging cliffhanger as of this post. It would be sad if Monolith Soft suddenly wanted to ignore X's existence and pretended it never happened, but I don't think that's the case. We'll see X again at some point. Whether they choose to reboot the Wii U game, or hop straight into a sequel remains to be seen. But all indications suggest Elma will remain a major player for future installments in some capacity.

Where as Rex's story is probably over, Elma's still continues and works better as a promo for future X content. Plus Sawano is very popular with anime fans, and Elma, as a PoC character, will probably have social media talking. That's a lot of cross over eyes balls looking in Smash's direction, and then indirectly, in Xenoblade X's direction. I think she'd be a great choice for Nintendo besides satisfying my bias.
In short, “this story never truly ends...”
“When you catch that rainbow you’ve been chasing,
And find your heart aglow,
You’ll know it’s not the destination,
It’s what you find along the road,
It’s The Journey.”
-Stan Bush

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Elma is the coolest Xenoblade character in my opinion. A chick with dual wielding swords and guns? You almost can't get more bad*** than that.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
For some reason I thought Elma being added to XB2 was in mid 2019, and I was going to make a post on how the timing might've been similar to the Arms Party Crash Bash which could end up being used to decide who gets added to Smash, but...
Arms Party Crash Bash times said:
November 23, 2018–June 17, 2019
Source
Elma in XB2 said:
August 25th, 2018
Over 3 months before the party Crash even started started seems way too early for it to coincide with planning for future Smash DLC. Especially when Smash only came out that year. Meanwhile the Arms event would've ended just as Banjo and Hero were revealed, halfway through the pass and a good time to start planning another season of DLC. A dead end for Elma. Ah well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t like to see pessimism about her chances. You still have to keep in mind Sawano’s secret project and the NDA. until those are known I’m not giving up on her

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Elma is the coolest Xenoblade character in my opinion. A chick with dual wielding swords and guns? You almost can't get more bad*** than that.
Elma proves that Nintendo needs more than the likes of Samus, Zelda and Peach etc for standout heroines.

Her (and Lucina) especially have great visual design and for a very young female audience they give a "she's so cool, I would to be as cool as her!" vibe to that age range,

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Elma proves that Nintendo needs more than the likes of Samus, Zelda and Peach etc for standout heroines.

Her (and Lucina) especially have great visual design and for a very young female audience they give a "she's so cool, I would to be as cool as her!" vibe to that age range,
I completely agree. We need more bad*** heroines in the roster like Elma, KOS-MOS, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Chun-Li, ect.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Look alive BLADES, we have fan made character stock icons for our dear Colonel Elma. I don’t know if they’ve been posted here, but I wanted to bring your attention to the efforts of one polipede on Deviantart, who has made icons of not just the Colonel’s default appearance, but also her true form as well!

Carry on!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Look alive BLADES, we have fan made character stock icons for our dear Colonel Elma. I don’t know if they’ve been posted here, but I wanted to bring your attention to the efforts of one polipede on Deviantart, who has made icons of not just the Colonel’s default appearance, but also her true form as well!

Carry on!
I swear this stock icon of Elma is my favorite stock icon among all the fan made ones on this site.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Seeing Elma in a list of potential Spirit promotions in the “Why an ARMS rep is a big deal” article on the front page makes me feel so validated rn

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We may have to wait till next year to see Elma if XCXDE is first revealed in 2021 or later this year, but if the ARMS character is one of the five Spirits already in game, that should give us some hope. More so if it’s any of Min Min, Ninjara or Twintelle as they’re not also Mii Costumes or Assist Trophies in addition, just Spirits.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Saw a nice piece of X fanart that I figured I might share. I would link to the artist's original upload, but. . . well, they deleted their presence on that website.

https://smashboards.com/threads/why-an-arms-rep-is-such-a-big-deal.503296/

It's further down in the article. There's a picture of Twintelle's spirit where it talks about how an ARMS character could open the door for spirit promotions. (I'd be baffled if we DIDN'T get a spirit promotion at the very least, since it would require the developers to ignore most of the popular characters)
A good read. Definitely encouraging.

Top Bottom