• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
As far as I remember, the soundtrack was released with Sony involvement but I never discovered if that meant anything about the in game files. When a soundtrack gets printed onto a disc for release you might involve a company like Sony just to facilitate that. Idk if that means they own the songs tho, just a partial right to control how track rips are shared on the internet? I'd guess Sony isn't directly involved in the game files themselves. Unless Sawano is somehow beholden to Sony for reasons I've not read about.
They might own the distribution rights but not the song itself.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I had a dream about Elma in Smash last night...which is strange since I'm more of a supporter of Rex or Fiora making it in, but whatever. All I can remember is that her neutral B involved her dual pistols and her stage took place in a field with Skells flying in the background.

My co-workers often joke about me being a prophet so I guess Elma is confirmed.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I had a dream about Elma in Smash last night...which is strange since I'm more of a supporter of Rex or Fiora making it in, but whatever. All I can remember is that her neutral B involved her dual pistols and her stage took place in a field with Skells flying in the background.

Welcome to the club! Some others here have had dreams about Elma in smash before, though I don't remember who else exactly. Personally, I've dreamt about this three times already, which is noteworthy for me because a) I very rarely have dreams that I remember, and b) I pretty much never dream about video games.
Clearly, this means that our Fullmetal Jaguar is inevitable.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys, I usually lurk, but I went looking for info on Sony owning the XCX OST and found this entry for it online.
https://www.discogs.com/Hiroyuki-Sawano-Xenoblade-X-Original-Soundtrack/release/9719740
Right at the bottom it says Copyright for Nintendo and Monolithsoft, Manufactured by Sony.

DefSTAR are owned by Sony Music and don't seem to put out many Video Game OSTs, but they do put out Sawano's music. Interestingly his compilation albums from 2015 have no tracks from XCX on them, I wonder if it's harder for them to use that music than it is for Nintendo at this point.
One thing is for sure: It is not difficult for Hiroyuki Sawano to use Xenoblade X music.
:shades:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I don't think copyright is an issue with concerts to be honest. It's mostly with CD's and licensing for films, adverts etc.

edit: That said these are professionally filmed so I guess they had to have the copyright sorted just to release them online or air them wherever.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

All thanks to foresight, of course~

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So you know how Sakurai was on a stream for DQ11S just earlier? Apparently, one thing that they talked about there is that there have been talks about Hero since a while before Ultimate even came out. And that in turn possibly means. . . there's a chance that certain other characters that were considered for base roster could be coming as DLC.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
It's not just the uncontrollable youtube video that has been removed, i had a playlist with more then 20 xcx songs and everything is gone...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's not just the uncontrollable youtube video that has been removed, i had a playlist with more then 20 xcx songs and everything is gone...
That many?!

This is a tricky one. I think there have been some music takedowns by Nintendo that hinted at content in some form, like Megalovania for the Sans outfit and iirc some Banjo songs for Banjo and Kazooie. But then there’s SMRPG stuff for Geno, who hasn’t been confirmed yet. Let’s wait and see where this takes us.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That many?!

This is a tricky one. I think there have been some music takedowns by Nintendo that hinted at content in some form, like Megalovania for the Sans outfit and iirc some Banjo songs for Banjo and Kazooie. But then there’s SMRPG stuff for Geno, who hasn’t been confirmed yet. Let’s wait and see where this takes us.
There’s been some Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion music takedowns from Dystify Music too lately...the list of songs blocked by Nintendo on copyright grounds grows by the day I’ve found

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If it turns out the only reason Elma wasn’t on the base game was music all along I’ll... certainly be surprised. And if Spirits are meant to deconfirm, it’d mean they deliberately put an Elma one in to not telegraph she was getting added later.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it turns out the only reason Elma wasn’t on the base game was music all along I’ll... certainly be surprised. And if Spirits are meant to deconfirm, it’d mean they deliberately put an Elma one in to not telegraph she was getting added later.
It would line up with Hiroyuki Sawano’s “secret project” at least

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Right.

That's not her real body though.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
So you know how Sakurai was on a stream for DQ11S just earlier? Apparently, one thing that they talked about there is that there have been talks about Hero since a while before Ultimate even came out. And that in turn possibly means. . . there's a chance that certain other characters that were considered for base roster could be coming as DLC.
Well yes, this tweet suggest other content such as Home-Run Contest was in the works before Super Smash Bros Ultimate was finalized.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It would line up with Hiroyuki Sawano’s “secret project” at least
Speaking of that, I've been wondering. Can we even be sure that this secret project hasn't been revealed or released yet? Or Caitlin Glass' NDA role, for that matter? Because I can't say for myself that I have not really been keeping track of this.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Do dubs of animes count? Cuz she's done a few of those in the past year. They might've been known for her before that tweet and perhaps not "tweet worthy" as much for her. Fruit Baskets and Kemono Friends are pretty big dubs tho I guess, even if she plays side roles. I guess she's in Borderlands 3 too.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do dubs of animes count? Cuz she's done a few of those in the past year. They might've been known for her before that tweet and perhaps not "tweet worthy" as much for her. Fruit Baskets and Kemono Friends are pretty big dubs tho I guess, even if she plays side roles. I guess she's in Borderlands 3 too.
She didn’t confirm the big NDA role was Fruits Basket though.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
No, she's not. I already checked for that.
How'd you check?

If that's the case the only alternatives would be anime dubs as far as I know. And I don't know how many she'd have either done already or known about at the time of the tweet. Do we know if her NDA tweet is the same as the one where she said she her own voice work was a reference? Her tweet was.. November of last year right?

If it's none of this stuff tho.. of course it would still be unknown and leave that door wide open

Edit: So, I don't think this makes any difference for us.. but I just wanted to check if Caitlin Glass wasn't in Borderlands 3 even tho IMDB and others credit her. Here's a screencap of Borderlands 3's credits..
caitlin glass in borderlands.png

Maybe there's another Caitlin Glass.. otherwise seems pretty definitive.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
How'd you check?

If that's the case the only alternatives would be anime dubs as far as I know. And I don't know how many she'd have either done already or known about at the time of the tweet. Do we know if her NDA tweet is the same as the one where she said she her own voice work was a reference? Her tweet was.. November of last year right?

If it's none of this stuff tho.. of course it would still be unknown and leave that door wide open
Checked her page on TV Tropes and WikiPedia. Those aren't exactly dedicated voice actor listings, but considering that Borderlands 3 has been out for a bit now, it should be safe to assume that they'd have it by now.
And as a side note, according to WikiPedia, Elma in 2 was actually her most recent video game role. Funny that.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
She didn’t confirm the big NDA role was Fruits Basket though.
We fully expect she will then I guess? Makes sense that if she'd hint it in a tweet that she'd follow up on that once it became public. Keeping an eye on her tweets is certainly going to be the safest confirm. Because all these other roles may not be the the one she was referring to. We simply can't know until she says so. Heck, even if she voices Elma in Smash.. there's a chance the tweet didn't even reference that.

Checked her page on TV Tropes and WikiPedia. Those aren't exactly dedicated voice actor listings, but considering that Borderlands 3 has been out for a bit now, it should be safe to assume that they'd have it by now.
And as a side note, according to WikiPedia, Elma in 2 was actually her most recent video game role. Funny that.
Seems like it's a pretty small role. Maybe it's just not a noteworthy credit for some sites. Also, I find it highly unlikely this has anything to do with her tweet given the seemingly small nature of the role. She'd more likely reference one of her big roles or a big role in a tweet I'd think.

Last edited:

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Sawano actually did music for a League of Legends trailer that released recently, I'm wondering if that was his secret project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkihKQ7Exvo
Sawano mentioned that the Light & Shadow song was recorded in July 2019.

He has yet to reference whatever this is suppose to be:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Sawano mentioned that the Light & Shadow song was recorded in July 2019.

He has yet to reference whatever this is suppose to be:
Honestly, this whole post just kind of makes me feel like it should have been revealed by now. Like, would Smash DLC music really have been worked on basically a year and a half at least before being released? The timeline just doesn’t make sense for it to be either Xenoblade or Smash related in my opinion.

Not saying that Elma doesn’t have a chance, but I’ve felt like it’s been very diminished from base game. The whole situation just makes me sad if there’s really no X representation besides the Elma, Lin, Tatsu, Lao, and Skell Spirits. So much content to choose from, and we get nearly nothing. Even Snipperclips got a music track.

I just really want more Xenoblade content in Smash... :(

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Nice find Sigman, There does seem to be 4 other game projects he's worked on for 2018/19 according to his Wikipedia page.

To be honest it makes no difference to me, I'm confident in Elma regardless. Choosing Rex of all characters to put in as a purchase bonus for the Fighter Pass feels kind of suspect to me.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Code Vein just came out and apparently Caitlin Glass has a voice in that too. Doesn't appear to be a big role tho. Even so, she's obviously staying busy.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Honestly, this whole post just kind of makes me feel like it should have been revealed by now. Like, would Smash DLC music really have been worked on basically a year and a half at least before being released? The timeline just doesn’t make sense for it to be either Xenoblade or Smash related in my opinion.

Not saying that Elma doesn’t have a chance, but I’ve felt like it’s been very diminished from base game. The whole situation just makes me sad if there’s really no X representation besides the Elma, Lin, Tatsu, Lao, and Skell Spirits. So much content to choose from, and we get nearly nothing. Even Snipperclips got a music track.

Yes, based on how the titles of Xenoblade X’s soundtrack is named and “decoded” Sawano worked on it in the year 2012 to 2013. It was his first video game soundtrack he composed. 3594e was only released before Xenoblade X.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

They made it public that more DLC Fighters are “in development” before they even gave an exact release date for Terry Bogard. So I think they are following their own schedule.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also of note, the only English VO in the pass so far was Xander Mobus (Joker, who also voices Master and Crazy Hand) so: 1. His lines were probably recorded WAY in advance 2. Since he was already on the team in a different role, nobody would expect it

Also didn’t Adam Howden tease his Shulk Smash role months before Shulk was officially revealed?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Also of note, the only English VO in the pass so far was Xander Mobus (Joker, who also voices Master and Crazy Hand) so: 1. His lines were probably recorded WAY in advance 2. Since he was already on the team in a different role, nobody would expect it

Also didn’t Adam Howden tease his Shulk Smash role months before Shulk was officially revealed?
He did around April or May that year. I think it was May. At any rate, in the tweet, he talked about it in past tense, implying that he had already recorded it a while ago, unlike those Caitlin Glass tweets, which were about her getting the role to begin with.
I think I'll try to see if I can find that Adam Howden tweet, and edit it into this post once I have it.

Edit:
Here we go.

For reference, Shulk was officially revealed on August 29th.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if Caitlin’s NDA role IS Elma, it’s possible she’ll be officially revealed soonish

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I can't believe I'm saying this but...

I'm getting that Elma feel again...

I'm starting to think her time may be soon...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've given up most of my hope but.... there's something there. Just a little inkling and I can't explain why....

#elmagang forever

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's funny really.

About a week ago if you asked me about Elma then I would've said she has no chance and Fiora and Rex are more likely but...

There's this weird feeling I suddenly have again that she might make it against the odds?

Like... The lack of X content as a whole is bizarre, and there's all these signs that just kinda add up so I just can't help but wonder...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say do we still have the links to FP4 and FP5 on the European Nintendo store? FP4 had SNK on it and was later taken down, indicating Terry was on the way. Iirc though FP5’s page had all copyrights thus far (minus SNK). I wonder if that has changed or not

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Let's also not forget that none of the Fighter Pass characters were really all that expected. Sure, Hero sorta was, but for him we had that one datamine for months beforehand. Banjo meanwhile was certainly requested, but not necessarily expected. Joker and Terry, both unexpected. And after Terry was already largely underwhelming to most of the Smash fanbase (no offense Flyboy Flyboy ), I really don't expect the pass to go out on any sort of "bang".

I've given up most of my hope but.... there's something there. Just a little inkling and I can't explain why....
:ultinkling:Woomy

Say do we still have the links to FP4 and FP5 on the European Nintendo store? FP4 had SNK on it and was later taken down, indicating Terry was on the way. Iirc though FP5’s page had all copyrights thus far (minus SNK). I wonder if that has changed or not
Well, that should be easy to check. Does anyone still have the link to the page that initially leaked SNK? Or that page for FP5?

Edit:
Nevermind, here it is.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-5-1519372.html
It's still the same as it was at the beginning of the month, and it's the same for German, Spanish and English. They either kept it because that copyright listing didn't really spoil anything concrete for FP5, forgot it, or because they're going to change it when we get to the actual reveal.

Second edit:
Y'know what, I'm just gonna put the links for the other individual fighter pass pages here for reference.

Joker (Which itself is a bit of an odd one out, since only the English-speaking ones have the general Smash copyright, all other European ones have ©ATLUS / ©SEGA written at the bottom)
Hero
Banjo and Kazooie
Terry

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know while I have grown suspicious over Elma I do have to ask, what would they do for her Spirit Board since we already have Xenoblade X Spirits?

Would said Spirits we have be incorporated into the Spirit Board for Elma?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You know while I have grown suspicious over Elma I do have to ask, what would they do for her Spirit Board since we already have Xenoblade X Spirits?

Probably.

I doubt most people would care if they cheated a little bit on her Spirit Board, though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

They’ll probably throw in new ones like Irina, Gwin, Doug, Nagi, L, Luxaar etc

Top Bottom