• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well you know what that means. Fanboys are gonna start harassing Nintendo on social media for a Direct date.
Don't they always? I'm guessing that, when the indie presentation came out, there were people in the comments asking when the September Direct was going to be shown.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
About that... prices leaked, they’re all full price retail games, Amiibos only go for like $17 maximum if they’re not in a bundle:
IT’S HAPPENING Y’ALL.
Now we need to hope that there's actually a good number of first- and second-party titles among those. Because I'm not gonna lie, I was rather disappointed by a lack of those in this year's E3 presentation.

He also talked about how Chrono Trigger was “replacing” a game that he was planning because of some issues that he had with the LP. He said it would be the biggest game he’s done to date so I’m worried that he had to cancel an X LP for unknown reasons.
Huh, when/where did he mention those things? I don't remember that. All I know about X is that he quite explicitly teased an X LP in the anniversary video during Black/White, and that he tweeted about X on occasion recently, like complaining how you have to find party members in NLA to add them to your party.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Now we need to hope that there's actually a good number of first- and second-party titles among those. Because I'm not gonna lie, I was rather disappointed by a lack of those in this year's E3 presentation.

Huh, when/where did he mention those things? I don't remember that. All I know about X is that he quite explicitly teased an X LP in the anniversary video during Black/White, and that he tweeted about X on occasion recently, like complaining how you have to find party members in NLA to add them to your party.
This video at 1:17:00. I think I recall another one but I may also be misremembering that one. But I still do have hope for a resurgence of X content in the future, Let’s Plays or otherwise.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This video at 1:17:00. I think I recall another one but I may also be misremembering that one. But I still do have hope for a resurgence of X content in the future, Let’s Plays or otherwise.
Mh, that certainly does sound like it could fit X. Assuming that it is, I wonder what the reasons beyond his control are, though? It can't be Miiverse shutting down, that already happened a while ago. Maybe he somehow learned about an upcoming X port, and decided that it would be best to play that version? He does have a large enough connection to Nintendo make it seem possible that they would let him know these things in advance, and he does prefer to be as up-to-date as possible in the information he presents, as the Okami bonus videos can attest to.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If there IS indeed an X port coming up, another feature I’d like to see added for convenience is that you don’t have to hunt down your party members just to let them in, and also to control when you can have those mini affinity raising conversations with them (I forgot what they’re called)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If there IS indeed an X port coming up, another feature I’d like to see added for convenience is that you don’t have to hunt down your party members just to let them in, and also to control when you can have those mini affinity raising conversations with them (I forgot what they’re called)
Heart-to-hearts. Though in this day and age, you could also call them support conversations and everyone would still get what you mean, especially after how Three Houses handled Byleth's.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Heart-to-hearts. Though in this day and age, you could also call them support conversations and everyone would still get what you mean, especially after how Three Houses handled Byleth's.
They were called something else in X though, I think, and I don’t mean the full scale affinity missions, but rather the ones where the party member you wanna add isn’t at a specific location but someplace else and you talk to them, raise affinity, and you can add them back.

I’m pretty sure they weren’t called heart to hearts in X I think...? Man, it’s been too long

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hum, I was actually hoping that there'd be a new reply by the time that I got around to this, but I suppose I'll just have to deliberately double post.

I recently came across a rather simple to use posing program, that also had Elma's model from 2 in a compatible format available. So I figured I'd try my hand at making a kind of Smash render mock-up. Here's the result:

What do you think?
What program are you using?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
They were called something else in X though, I think, and I don’t mean the full scale affinity missions, but rather the ones where the party member you wanna add isn’t at a specific location but someplace else and you talk to them, raise affinity, and you can add them back.

I’m pretty sure they weren’t called heart to hearts in X I think...? Man, it’s been too long
Nope, they're still Heart-to-Hearts.

What program are you using?
That was MikuMikuDance. I only really started using it, but (somewhat) figuring it out wasn't that terribly hard since I have a bit of experience with modding Brawl back in the day.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh man

OH MAN!!!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

This guy BETTER be legit... the way he’s wording it sounds like a legit leak (especially the “research” comment).... a tie in reveal of Elma in Smash, if X is indeed one of those said ports, would be the icing on the cake!!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh man

OH MAN!!!

[twitter]1164802972506660865[/MEDIA]

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

This guy BETTER be legit... the way he’s wording it sounds like a legit leak (especially the “research” comment).... a tie in reveal of Elma in Smash, if X is indeed one of those said ports, would be the icing on the cake!!
Holy ****!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh man

OH MAN!!!

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Okay, one last question before I become fully optimistic. Does this person have any history of being credible?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, one last question before I become fully optimistic. Does this person have any history of being credible?
He doubled down with this:

I have a good feeling about this...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who is he though? Is he a credible leaker?
This is probably his first leak, and given the “research” it could be legit. He is a game streamer on YouTube so he likely has connections. I even found this:
I feel like asking him if Xenoblade Chronicles X is also one of the games being ported... should I?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is probably his first leak, and given the “research” it could be legit. He is a game streamer on YouTube so he likely has connections. I even found this:
I feel like asking him if Xenoblade Chronicles X is also one of the games being ported... should I?
You should go ahead and ask him.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, if this is true, at least they know what the fans want. That, and less competition for an X port, of course.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Looks like i missed a few things in the last few days, huh?

Let's hope for the best guys and girls.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just had an idea for Elma's potential moveset in regards to swapping between swords and guns:

You know how the Belmonts can do that spinny whip thing by holding A? Imagine if Elma can press and hold A to swap between using swords and guns? It's not too complex (At least I don't think so), it's faithful to the source material and doesn't require a character-exclusive character input to perform like Inkling. How about that?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The Belmonts can do the spin-whip at the end of any grounded whip attack by holding A, right? That could work. Might open up some cross-weapon combos too... sword jab+switch into gun f-tilt+switch into sword down-tilt+switch... Much better than hitting neutral special every time you want to swap over.

edit: as for this British guy, I've never heard of him before and it's not like "Wii U ports" is a hard guess to make. We make it every direct lmao.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just had an idea for Elma's potential moveset in regards to swapping between swords and guns:

You know how the Belmonts can do that spinny whip thing by holding A? Imagine if Elma can press and hold A to swap between using swords and guns? It's not too complex (At least I don't think so), it's faithful to the source material and doesn't require a character-exclusive character input to perform like Inkling. How about that?
I quite like that idea!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Even if Elma isn't among the final two DLC characters, I fancy she and Rex have high chances if Sakurai ever decided to make a second wave of DLC characters. Sakurai clearly likes the Xenoblade series. If I remember correctly, the reason Rex wasn't in Ultimate was because development began before Xenoblade 2 was announced. Still hoping for a Switch port of Xenoblade X. Also planning to invest in a 2DS XL just for Xenoblade 3D.

Now that I know wired controllers reduce input lag, I might start playing Ultimate again. That said, if Elma ever does get added, I'm determined to get good with her.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm... the guy from yesterday hasn’t replied to my Xenoblade X question... in fact he hasn’t tweeted ANYTHING at all since the 23rd...

He could still be talking out of his ass, I don’t deny that but he’s been awfully silent since those claims

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry for the double post but this is pretty important

Insert air raid sirens here

Female? Check.
Not particularly demanded (compared to Rex, most third parties and some other first parties)? Check.
Disappoint and confuse a lot of people? (“But 2 was more recent/Nobody cared about X!/MUH (insert demanded third party or first party here)!”) Check.

I’m thinking she’s in y’all

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Female? Check.
Not particularly demanded (compared to Rex, most third parties and some other first parties)? Check
Disappoint and confuse a lot of people? (“But 2 was more recent/Nobody cared about X!”) Check.

If she and Doom Slayer (In response to Doom Eternal) were the last two. This would be the best Season Pass ever.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930

Female? Check.
Not particularly demanded (compared to Rex, most third parties and some other first parties)? Check.
Disappoint and confuse a lot of people? (“But 2 was more recent/Nobody cared about X!/MUH (insert demanded third party or first party here)!”) Check.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Female? Check.

I wouldn't put much stock into an anonymous 4chan post, though at least this one has a clear end-date. Still, the description is unclear enough that it could apply to a ton of characters. There's Elma, of course, but it could also apply to (depending on how you take that "not a demanded character" remark) 2B, Tracer, Kasumi from Dead or Alive, Kasumi from Persona 5, an SNK character, a Soul Calibur character, Kumatora from Mother 3, etc. (And with so few spots left, I feel like most reveals are going to disappoint a lot of people because it's not their character of choice)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wouldn't put much stock into an anonymous 4chan post, though at least this one has a clear end-date. Still, the description is unclear enough that it could apply to a ton of characters. There's Elma, of course, but it could also apply to (depending on how you take that "not a demanded character" remark) 2B, Tracer, Kasumi from Dead or Alive, Kasumi from Persona 5, an SNK character, a Soul Calibur character, Kumatora from Mother 3, etc. (And with so few spots left, I feel like most reveals are going to disappoint a lot of people because it's not their character of choice)
Now that you mention it, there's apparently an Overwatch Switch case coming. As much as I hate to admit it, Tracer in Smash would be a good way to promote an Overwatch port (no offense, but I don't like Overwatch).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Knowing our luck it'll be the other white-haired red-wearing main character whose name begins with an
E.
Edelgard

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Knowing our luck it'll be the other white-haired red-wearing main character whose name begins with an
E.
Edelgard
If we are sticking with the idea that the DLC was decided by early 2016, that would make no sense. Edelgard is even less unique than Corrin and Sakurai already had concerns adding too many FE characters, only adding Chrom because of the idea of Echo Fighters and his popularity. If the next character really is a female many people aren't requesting, I'd bet against anyone revealed to the public only after 2015. Maybe, if not Elma, it's that character that looked to be from a fighting game with flying weapons? (I believe that was the description some leaker gave..)

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Female? Check.

I honestly don't really want to put any stock in some random text-based leak on 4chan. But on the other hand. . . there have been some of those that had been true before, I think? At the very least, this one is worded vaguely enough so that it could be true.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I find the 4chan rumor fun to discuss because it has a clear end date and after doing a lot of thinking I genuinely can't say anyone that fits the bill would be disappointing to me.

Obviously this could be good for Elma, but I've been making a list here...

Arle Nadja, 2B, Velvet Crowe, Adeleine, Captain Syrup, Nakoruru, KOS-MOS, Mai Shiranui, Tron Bonne, Chun-Li, Tracer, Reimu, Edelgard, Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Athena Cykes, Elma, Katrielle Layton, Shiori (Tokimeki Memorial), Style Savvy Stylist, Female Astral Chain avatar, Kat (Gravity Rush), Kasumi (DOA), Nina Williams, Sami, Medusa, Hatsune Miku, Hornet, Hat Kid, Undyne, Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Madeleine, Miriam, Twintelle, Off The Hook as a duo fighter, Junko (Danganronpa)

And that's just off the top of my head. To me they'd all bring something new and unique to Smash and several of those are on my most-wanted list.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I find the 4chan rumor fun to discuss because it has a clear end date and after doing a lot of thinking I genuinely can't say anyone that fits the bill would be disappointing to me.

Obviously this could be good for Elma, but I've been making a list here...

Arle Nadja, 2B, Velvet Crowe, Adeleine, Captain Syrup, Nakoruru, KOS-MOS, Mai Shiranui, Tron Bonne, Chun-Li, Tracer, Reimu, Edelgard, Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Athena Cykes, Elma, Katrielle Layton, Shiori (Tokimeki Memorial), Style Savvy Stylist, Female Astral Chain avatar, Kat (Gravity Rush), Kasumi (DOA), Nina Williams, Sami, Medusa, Hatsune Miku, Hornet, Hat Kid, Undyne, Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Madeleine, Miriam, Twintelle, Off The Hook as a duo fighter, Junko (Danganronpa)

And that's just off the top of my head. To me they'd all bring something new and unique to Smash and several of those are on my most-wanted list.
You forgot Shantae, Marina from mischief makers, As well as a few retros like Hikari and Donbe, Athena, Ayumi, and calrice from city connection.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I honestly don't really want to put any stock in some random text-based leak on 4chan. But on the other hand. . . there have been some of those that had been true before, I think? At the very least, this one is worded vaguely enough so that it could be true.
To be fair someone did legit leak Ken, Incineroar AND Piranha Plant:
E65371AB-9FF1-4E52-BBA3-6766562F76EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You forgot Shantae, Marina from mischief makers, As well as a few retros like Hikari and Donbe, Athena, Ayumi, and calrice from city connection.
I never forget Marina from Mischief Makers, she was my ballot choice. I just rate her less than zero :(

Ayumi Tachibana also is in my most-wanted and there are tons of other potential great candidates, all with tons to offer. This isn't meant to be exhaustive but it really does show how many awesome female characters there are!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I never forget Marina from Mischief Makers, she was my ballot choice. I just rate her less than zero :(

Ayumi Tachibana also is in my most-wanted and there are tons of other potential great candidates, all with tons to offer. This isn't meant to be exhaustive but it really does show how many awesome female characters there are!
Yeah Marina is in a tough spot... i hope one day she gets a new game.

Yeah it would have been long to list every one, just wanted to toss some others out there. I know Sakurao has expressed interest in Ayumi for melee. That gives me hope for 1 day...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we are sticking with the idea that the DLC was decided by early 2016, that would make no sense. Edelgard is even less unique than Corrin and Sakurai already had concerns adding too many FE characters, only adding Chrom because of the idea of Echo Fighters and his popularity. If the next character really is a female many people aren't requesting, I'd bet against anyone revealed to the public only after 2015. Maybe, if not Elma, it's that character that looked to be from a fighting game with flying weapons? (I believe that was the description some leaker gave..)
I didn't even think about that, that makes a lot of sense. If Rex & Pyra couldn't make it because their game was being developed after the project plan for Ultimate was finalized, than are what are the chances we will get a Fire Emblem: Three Houses rep or a Pokemon: Sword and Shield rep? I would probably say 0% percent for the Season Pass.

It's also too bad that Marina is co-owned by Square-Enix. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Squaresoft just published Mischief Makers or did they have a part in creating the game with Treasure?

Edit: I just looked it up and it was just published by Enix... my bad for saying it was Squaresoft.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
E.
Edelgard
“Rex from Xenoblade 2 is too new for Smash. Here, have Edgelord from Fire Emblem Three Houses instead. What? The Luminary from Dragon Quest XI? He’s not too new, he’s five months older then Rex.” -Sakurai’s logic, (probably)

Top Bottom