• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh, Xenoblade does deserve a new character and it would be very crushing to me if the DLC period ended and the ONLY new Xenoblade content was the Rex/Nia costumes, the 2 tracks and the Spirits... its a series that’s on the rise like FE is, and it just deserves at least one more playable character

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Tbh, Xenoblade does deserve a new character and it would be very crushing to me if the DLC period ended and the ONLY new Xenoblade content was the Rex/Nia costumes, the 2 tracks and the Spirits... its a series that’s on the rise like FE is, and it just deserves at least one more playable character
The comparison to Fire Emblem ist pretty appropriate. Xenoblade 2 did receive some push by Nintendo (remember Elmas Xeno 2-DLC was a big reveal during gamescom) and Xenoblade X was one of the Wii Us heavy hitters +X and Mario 3D World are pretty much the only Wii U-Games left that people (myself included) want to see ported to the Switch.

btw does anybody remember a fake leak during Smash4s DLC-days that showed images of Primordia on the stage-select-screen + some music? I think it was quickly debunked because the songs on the music-list were in a different order.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The comparison to Fire Emblem ist pretty appropriate. Xenoblade 2 did receive some push by Nintendo (remember Elmas Xeno 2-DLC was a big reveal during gamescom) and Xenoblade X was one of the Wii Us heavy hitters +X and Mario 3D World are pretty much the only Wii U-Games left that people (myself included) want to see ported to the Switch.
That last one is what I want more. X I can take or leave, but 3D World is a must.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'd like to think that more new Xenoblade content is a given at some point during Ultimate's lifespan. . . but then I remember how "obvious" characters like Ridley and K.Rool took until this game to happen, and how Dixie Kong still isn't playable, even though she almost happened in Brawl.
It's rather odd though that we don't have any new Assist Trophies, when Sakurai usually seems to consider those the perfect consolation price. I could go into another talk about how the lack of X content is odd, but I'm sure we all know that by now.

btw does anybody remember a fake leak during Smash4s DLC-days that showed images of Primordia on the stage-select-screen + some music? I think it was quickly debunked because the songs on the music-list were in a different order.
The comparison also fits because Xenoblade 2, just like Fire Emblem Fates, went all out on ridicilously fanservice-y outfits that overall came as a detriment to an already meh game

I remember that leak. Shame that we don't have any standalone stage DLC this time around, meaning that this is even less likely to happen in Ultimate. . .

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is Wonderful 101 erasure.:4pacman: But other than that, I have to agree with those sentiments.
yo don't forget Fatal Frame V (the game the Yuri Kozukata Assist Trophy is from)

...then again, porting it might be difficult

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You guys remember the Gundam like figure that had a gun that Sakurai was using for a game he was working at the time (which is obviously Smash)? I think he was toying around with that figure to get a idea how he wants a certain newcomer to play in Ultimate. I believe this could be either our girl Elma or Geno.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You guys remember the Gundam like figure that had a gun that Sakurai was using for a game he was working at the time (which is obviously Smash)? I think he was toying around with that figure to get a idea how he wants a certain newcomer to play in Ultimate. I believe this could be either our girl Elma or Geno.
Could go either way - if it’s just for the rifle, it’s likely Geno. If it’s the whole mech it’s prob for Elma

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Could go either way - if it’s just for the rifle, it’s likely Geno. If it’s the whole mech it’s prob for Elma
Timmy Turner's Dad: THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!! I REALLY WANT THEM BOTH!!! This must be the work of DINKLEBERG?!!

Dinkleberg: Hey Turner, I'm working with Sakurai on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's DLC lineup.

Timmy Turner's Dad: CURSE YOU DINKLEBERG!!!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re: stand-alone stage DLC - given that the empty stage space is filled when you use a different ruleset (I forget what and how), I don’t think that empty space will become a next page button for stages. I do at least hope any future individual DLC does at least come with music. Corrin in 4 came with music, after all.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
They could also do what they did for custom stages with the part on top and add another tab in between that says “more stages” or something. It’s not too unexpected I don’t think.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Caitlin Glass is going to be at the con I'm at this weekend... I forgot to bring my copy of Xenoblade X or Baccano for her to sign but if I get the chance maybe I'll ask her about Elma in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They could also do what they did for custom stages with the part on top and add another tab in between that says “more stages” or something. It’s not too unexpected I don’t think.
Hadn’t really thought of that, that’s possible especially if they make a second pass that does include stages

I will say it does suck not having any solid hints on who might be next. People are throwing around names like Crash, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, (insert other third party flavor of the month here) when they don’t really have any actual solid hints, just fake 4chan leaks that piggyback off each other cause they know those characters are heavily discussed in the first place. It’s getting a bit tiring...

If any of those characters have to happen though, at LEAST give us Elma. Or KOS-MOS, I’m not picky but one of my two Girls(TM) will sweeten the deal for me if Crashdoombusa is an inevitability.

Caitlin Glass is going to be at the con I'm at this weekend... I forgot to bring my copy of Xenoblade X or Baccano for her to sign but if I get the chance maybe I'll ask her about Elma in Smash.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So a bit unrelated to anything, but does anyone else ever get the slightest bit of hope when they receive notifications for this thread? Like, the ever so slight hope that maybe, possibly, there was a bit of news that's actually good for Elma in Smash/X in general?

God, I'd probably far too nervous to do that. Not about the "talking to a famous-ish person" part, but rather the potential answers that she might give.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hum, I was actually hoping that there'd be a new reply by the time that I got around to this, but I suppose I'll just have to deliberately double post.

I recently came across a rather simple to use posing program, that also had Elma's model from 2 in a compatible format available. So I figured I'd try my hand at making a kind of Smash render mock-up. Here's the result:

What do you think?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hum, I was actually hoping that there'd be a new reply by the time that I got around to this, but I suppose I'll just have to deliberately double post.

I recently came across a rather simple to use posing program, that also had Elma's model from 2 in a compatible format available. So I figured I'd try my hand at making a kind of Smash render mock-up. Here's the result:

What do you think?
Images are broken so I had to quote to see the images but they look great!

goes without saying a True Form alt would go without question but the only model of her true form ATM is in X

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Gamescom is this week. I’m not counting on a Smash reveal there, but it would be REALLY awesome if it were Elma, to serve as the one year anniversary of her Xenoblade 2 reveal...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So Gamescom is this week. I’m not counting on a Smash reveal there, but it would be REALLY awesome if it were Elma, to serve as the one year anniversary of her Xenoblade 2 reveal...
While that would be nice, it's extremely unlikely. Like I've said in the past, Nintendo pretty much never reveals major news at Gamescom.

And unrelated, but it seems like my post with the renders seems to be working properly now, huh?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While that would be nice, it's extremely unlikely. Like I've said in the past, Nintendo pretty much never reveals major news at Gamescom.

And unrelated, but it seems like my post with the renders seems to be working properly now, huh?
They DID break precedent and reveal Joker for Smash at the Game Awards so as far as I'm concerned nothing's impossible anymore

and yeah, it works now

Calamitas

Smash Champion
They DID break precedent and reveal Joker for Smash at the Game Awards so as far as I'm concerned nothing's impossible anymore
I mean, on the one hand, fair enough. But on the other hand, the Game Awards are an internationally acknowledged event and everything, whereas Gamescom. . . well, it's by no means a small event, but it's just not something of the same magnitude, y'know?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, on the one hand, fair enough. But on the other hand, the Game Awards are an internationally acknowledged event and everything, whereas Gamescom. . . well, it's by no means a small event, but it's just not something of the same magnitude, y'know?
In that case, there's only one thing we can do: hope a high-profile leaker manages to find something good.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They don't really do high profile reveals at Gamescom. Elma ironically is probably the most exciting they've done, and that was towards the end of Torna gameplay demonstration stuff. Still, it was nice having confirmation that Monolith Soft hadn't forgotten X. I still remember staying up for her addition and 100% her 'world tour' the day she was added lmao.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Where do you guys think Elma stands as of this moment? I think her chances are a coin flip as she doesn't have that much going for her and she doesn't have really anything going against her if you don't count Spirits being a deconfirmation for a character. I think Xenoblade X's music being absence from the game as well as that gundam like figure Sakurai showed off back in 2016 gives us good enough signs that if any Spirit character besides obviously Geno get's into Ultimate's roster as DLC, it's going to be our gal Elma.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The Gundam figure was only bought for it's rifle which was most likely used as a reference for long shooting items for poses.

At this point I think being a first party character makes her chance 0%, while being a first party character from a game that was unpopular in Japan and came out after the ballot was finished in the West pushes that to -0.01%. X is still the black sheep of Xeno and it'll be a while until we hear anything about a new game in any regard let alone a sequel to X, so just content yourself with whatever acknowledgement the game does get. Elma this time last year was uplifting, and it does seem like people are getting more interested in previous Xeno games after XB2's success. Something good will come, just not before the end of this year imo.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I also think that her chances are honestly mostly a coin flip at this point. One the one hand, we got the various hints such as the sheer lack of any X content in Ultimate, her appearance in 2, as well as Sawano's and Glass' projects. But on the other hand, the way the Fighter's Pass is currently going. . . it's really not inspiring confidence. It does seem rather fitting to assume that they'd just pull out a bunch more third-parties with minimal to questionable ties to Nintendo (looking at you, Joker).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
sooo a total of 18 Nintendo Switch game SKUs have been revealed for Gamestop:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

what if... Xenoblade Warriors and/or Xenoblade X Deluxe and/or Xenoblade X Part 2 are among them... and with it a tie-in Smash reveal for Elma...

and hopefully among them are ALSO a TMS port, Fatal Frame V port, Super Mario Sunshine HD, F-Zero GX HD, WW HD and TP HD Switch ports....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope just for Super Mario 3D World. I'm a simple man, in regard to these things. Now watch as my hopes get dashed yet again.

Besides, I get the feeling that, due to X's really weird placement in the timeline/series, they probably intended to go after Rex next *cough*Pokémon/FireEmblemsyndrome*cough*, but it turns out he and his game came out too soon, so everybody lost this time.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
God, I'd settle for an X Port and nothing else. But of the 12, 3 will be amiibos, 3 will be multi-platform, 3 will be special edition bundles, 2 will be new games and 1 won't be XBX.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
sooo a total of 18 Nintendo Switch game SKUs have been revealed for Gamestop:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

what if... Xenoblade Warriors and/or Xenoblade X Deluxe and/or Xenoblade X Part 2 are among them... and with it a tie-in Smash reveal for Elma...

and hopefully among them are ALSO a TMS port, Fatal Frame V port, Super Mario Sunshine HD, F-Zero GX HD, WW HD and TP HD Switch ports....
God, it really would be about time that X finally gets a port. I mean, there have been rumors of a Switch port before we even knew that the Switch would be, well, the Switch. The only real argument I've heard against it (besides the developer stuff) is that the file size would potentially be too big for Switch cartridges, but considering that The Witcher 3 is getting a port now. . . that's seemingly not really not a problem.

Unrelated, but the night before last night I had another dream about Elma getting revealed for Smash. No gameplay specifics or anything this time, moreso the reactions and what follows. Like, this thread being moved to its new board, and people generally being a bit disappointed that it's her, since they've hyped themselves up too much. I really hope that this actually ends up happening. . . though I could do without that last part there.
Though admittedly, that dream probably only really came about because I felt like there's a chance that chuggaaconroy's next LP might be X

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
God, it really would be about time that X finally gets a port. I mean, there have been rumors of a Switch port before we even knew that the Switch would be, well, the Switch. The only real argument I've heard against it (besides the developer stuff) is that the file size would potentially be too big for Switch cartridges, but considering that The Witcher 3 is getting a port now. . . that's seemingly not really not a problem.

Unrelated, but the night before last night I had another dream about Elma getting revealed for Smash. No gameplay specifics or anything this time, moreso the reactions and what follows. Like, this thread being moved to its new board, and people generally being a bit disappointed that it's her, since they've hyped themselves up too much. I really hope that this actually ends up happening. . . though I could do without that last part there.
Though admittedly, that dream probably only really came about because I felt like there's a chance that chuggaaconroy's next LP might be X
That depends: what hints has Chugga left for his next LP? Before his Chrono Trigger Let's Play, everyone thought he would be playing a Fire Emblem game based on his hints.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That depends: what hints has Chugga left for his next LP? Before his Chrono Trigger Let's Play, everyone thought he would be playing a Fire Emblem game based on his hints.
He said it'd be "a long awaited continuation". Another popular guess I've seen is that it might be Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God, I'd settle for an X Port and nothing else. But of the 12, 3 will be amiibos, 3 will be multi-platform, 3 will be special edition bundles, 2 will be new games and 1 won't be XBX.
About that... prices leaked, they’re all full price retail games, Amiibos only go for like $17 maximum if they’re not in a bundle:
IT’S HAPPENING Y’ALL.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
He said it'd be "a long awaited continuation". Another popular guess I've seen is that it might be Super Mario Galaxy 2.
He also talked about how Chrono Trigger was “replacing” a game that he was planning because of some issues that he had with the LP. He said it would be the biggest game he’s done to date so I’m worried that he had to cancel an X LP for unknown reasons.

Anyways, I just really want some Xenoblade news. An X port is fine by me considering how we could get some new supporters through that. And I’d get to play that incredible game again. Otherwise we’ve waited long enough. If Elma’s going to be DLC in this Fighter’s Pass, I’d say her reveal would be in a general direct and not somewhere like TGA. Like it or not, she’s not as popular as someone like Geno or Banjo-Kazooie.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confident for a XCX port for the switch. Nintendo loves to bring up WiiU games to the switch when there's not much new titles. Last year we got NSMBUD anounced in September and two years ago it was Bayonetta 1 and 2 (if I'm correct). I can definitly see a WiiU port for the begining of 2020. Other than XCX there's is not a lot of probable games to port.

Fatal Frame 5 will probably get a sequel (and I doubt it will seel a lot), same for Pikmin 3, Kirby and the Raibow Curse doesn't have a lot of hype...

I can see Yoshi Wooly World, Super Mario 3D World, Tokyo Mirage Session, Starfox Zero, The Wonderful 101 taking the spot over X.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Personally, that makes me think that people have been asking for this next game for awhile (and that it's some kind of sequal, of course). Might want to keep an eye out on that.
About that... prices leaked, they’re all full price retail games, Amiibos only go for like $17 maximum if they’re not in a bundle:
IT’S HAPPENING Y’ALL.
Well you know what that means. Fanboys are gonna start harassing Nintendo on social media for a Direct date.

Top Bottom