• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So there will be 6 more brand new stages, and if Elma is one of the newcomers then she would get a stage. Other characters like Bandana Dee, Geno, New Pokémon etc etc would just use one of the many past stages as their home, leaving those 6 for characters without a home stage, like Elma or any new IP character.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Hello friends, since Ashley was unfortunately disconfirmed, I am going to make this place one of my new homes! Let's hope Elma makes it in!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I think Elma will be reveal when Nintendo announce Xenoblade Chronicles X Port in the next Nintendo Direct.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Still hoping for Elma to be playable. Really curious as to how they would implement her, you know, "spoiler". I also think it is kinda unlikely that they won't further represent the Xenoblade series, and without Fiora gone, I would rather have someone cool like Elma than a Xenoblade 2 thing.

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
So there will be 6 more brand new stages, and if Elma is one of the newcomers then she would get a stage. Other characters like Bandana Dee, Geno, New Pokémon etc etc would just use one of the many past stages as their home, leaving those 6 for characters without a home stage, like Elma or any new IP character.
This. It's not like that 103 is the final count, either. Six blank spots are still left, and they wouldn't announce any stages that would elude to any newcomers.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
I was happy with all these character reveals. I love that Simon has his old school design. And Dark Samus was one of my top echo fighter choices with Black Shadow coming second. I doubt all of these will be highly requested characters from the ballot. Mainly because I don't recall Simon being super high on lists compared to Ridley and King K. Rool. So maybe Elma will still have a chance. Though now seeing a Monster Hunter stage and the Rathalos as a boss and Assist Trophy I'll also be wanting Monster Hunter as a character even more than before. If MvCI can make them a character so can Smash.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well, we didn’t get Elma (obviously), but they didn’t show any Xenoblade content yet in Smash.

I think we’re still likely to get Elma as playable. I wasn’t nervous when they showed the ATs.

Here’s hoping we get a confirmation of her soon. I think she might be revealed on a livestream around the same time
they show off her as a blade for Xenoblade 2.

We still got this.

K.K. Rooler ♫

Smash Rookie
I got my main request, KKR, and now I’m here for my brother’s! As far as I’m concerned, no news is good news. Elma has got the best chance for a Xeno rep in my opinion. Full support!

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
Even if Elma didn't get in. Having no Xenoblade X stage I feel would be a waste in my eyes. It would also hurt if that gun Sakurai got from that mech he bought was for an item and not for Elma.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Welp, of my most wanted newcomers after Ridley, Mimikyu and Ashley are unfortunately out. Here's crossing my legs and fingers for Elma.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
The Direct was absolutely crazy! I was unfortunately spoiled on the first reveal, but everything else blew me away!

And after watching it, I'm glad Elma didn't get revealed.

She would have been completely overshadowed by these characters. An Elma reveal is way better suited for a regular Direct or something with a Xenoblade focus.

What if they talk about Xenoblade 2 at Gamescom and Elma as a rare blade, then, later on, or right there, Elma is revealed to be in Smash. And to be completely honest, if she doesn't get announced alongside her inclusion in XC2, I feel like she may not get in at all. Unless they reveal an X port later on, and announce her there. But tbh, if she isn't revealed this month, I'm gonna start losing hope...

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
And after watching it, I'm glad Elma didn't get revealed.

She would have been completely overshadowed by these characters. An Elma reveal is way better suited for a regular Direct or something with a Xenoblade focus.
I guess so. It's really hard for me to picture a good time to reveal Elma as a character. Mainly because I feel her reveal as a character wouldn't be as big or as hyped as a lot of the others revealed so far. Most people are probably going to even question who she is at first until they realize "Oh right that Xenoblade X game was a thing." Much like how people were with Shulk back in Smash 4. So it'd make sense to have her revealed next to something Xenoblade related to jog people's memory. But so far none of these character reveals really tie into anything specific currently relating the characters aside from being highly requested.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Elma could easely being revealed at any given moment. She would easely be the perfect candidate for a reveal in a general Nintendo Direct, just like other less hype inducing characters like Rosalina or Shulk, maybe alongside a port of Xenoblade X.
Also we don't know the exact that when the next XC2 update is going to be released, right? We just assumed before August ends because of some pattern, right?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering how cheeky K. Rool's reveal was (at the very end, fake out with the direct ending, fake out with Dedede, hinted at with Klaptrap and DK/Diddy-focused scenes earlier) I think Elma might be revealed in Decmber...

...because the wind blows hard in December our last fight do you remember. Sakurai likes making reveals memorable so playing with that lyric while revealing her so late would be noticed and joked about.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Considering how cheeky K. Rool's reveal was (at the very end, fake out with the direct ending, fake out with Dedede, hinted at with Klaptrap and DK/Diddy-focused scenes earlier) I think Elma might be revealed in Decmber...

...because the wind blows hard in December our last fight do you remember. Sakurai likes making reveals memorable so playing with that lyric while revealing her so late would be noticed and joked about.
Well, Shulk was the very last newcomer and character revealed for Smash For before release, so it would also make a parallelism.
Also no matter who you are, being the last one always puts you under another light.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
To be honest, I don’t really think so. PSIGuy PSIGuy

I guess it does make some sense, but honestly when would you even reveal Elma within 7 days before release?

Idk, I don’t really like the idea of Elma being revealed so late because: A) She might actually not even be in if she isn’t revealed prior (and I don’t want to wait that long), and B) The roster would’ve been leaked by then before the reveal, making Elma’s reveal pointless. It’s one thing to just have someone say in letters that she’s in and still have a hype reveal (see Simon and Richter). It’s another thing to see how she would look like and even play like (if there’s footage) and the watch a reveal that show some of the things leaked (see Shulk).

I would rather have Elma revealed prior to that to get a proper reveal without any BIG (like actual pictures and footage) leaks.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Elma's really going to be the odd one out here

Pretty much all the other characters have been highly requested from fans, so to have Elma would be a bit of a wild card, and I think the best way to announce her would be to promote other Xenoblade stuff, like an X port for example
And her as a rare blade

That being said, really anytime would be alright to announce her, and I mean, for those of us who are already Elma fans, there's really nothing that could make us any less hyped about her.

No matter when she's revealed, I'll be happy, and super excited that she's in
And also super relieved
Even if it means having to look at the datamines, assuming the game does get datamined

But they said that they'd reveal EVERY CHARACTER before release. meaning no secret characters, and I don't think we'll be getting a reveal so close to release this time.

Elma will almost certainly be revealed this month, or just at any random time before December

To me, October seems like a good time for another BIG Smash news dump. I feel we'll get a regular Direct for September, and then our last big Smash dump in October, possibly November.

Gamescom, the theoretical next regular Direct, or the theoretical next Smash Direct would be the perfect times to reveal her imo.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
I actually just had my own cool idea for Elma's trailer.

It opens on a battle with Shulk, Fox, and Kirby against Metal Face. Fox and Kirby are knocked down and Shulk is barely holding on against Metal Face. Metal Face is about to deliver the killing blow but then gets shot. The fighters turn around and you see a Skell with it's gun pointed at Metal Face. Metal Face looks at his new giant opponent and both him and the Skell have an awesome giant robot fight in the air. All the while Shulk, Fox, and Kirby look on. The two robots come back down to the ground and fire both their powerful laser cannons in a beam struggle. The Skell's is losing the beam struggle. But before it gets destroyed a person quickly ejects from it and is launched into the air. Metal Face looks confident in his victory but then looks up and sees a woman coming down towards him with 2 swords in her hands. Bam! Elma joins the battle (yeah I don't have a cool title card to go with Elma right now). After the brief gameplay showing of Elma's moveset we see Elma still fighting Metal Face, only for Shulk, Fox, and Kirby to join back into the fight. Now you have a party of 4 just like in X going up against a giant boss. And that's where it ends.

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I actually just had my own cool idea for Elma's trailer.

It opens on a battle with Shulk, Fox, and Kirby against Metal Face. Fox and Kirby are knocked down and Shulk is barely holding on against Metal Face. Metal Face is about to deliver the killing blow but then gets shot. The fighters turn around and you see a Skell with it's gun pointed at Metal Face. Metal Face looks at his new giant opponent and both him and the Skell have an awesome giant robot fight in the air. All the while Shulk, Fox, and Kirby look on. The two robots come back down to the ground and fire both their powerful laser cannons in a beam struggle. The Skell's is losing the beam struggle. But before it gets destroyed a person quickly ejects from it and is launched into the air. Metal Face looks confident in his victory but then looks up and sees and woman coming down towards him with 2 swords in her hands. Bam! Elma joins the battle (yeah I don't have a cool title card to go with Elma right now). After the brief gameplay showing of Elma's moveset we see Elma still fighting Metal Face, only for Shulk, Fox, and Kirby to join back into the fight. Now you have a party of 4 just like in X going up against a giant boss. And that's where it ends.
I had roughly the same idea pop in my head a minute ago, only they were fighting Rathalos, mostly as a nod to giant monster battles in the XC games.

As for taglines, I came up with a few:
  • Elma is Ready to Duel!
  • Elma Unsheathes Her BLADE!
  • Elma Makes Her Voice Heard!
  • Elma Raises Skell!

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
I had roughly the same idea pop in my head a minute ago, only they were fighting Rathalos, mostly as a nod to giant monster battles in the XC games.

• Elma is Ready to Duel!
  • Elma Raises Skell!
I thought of the Rathalos too, but that he would be more suited in a trailer for Monster Hunter being a character instead. Plus I just think the idea of have 2 giant robots in the Xenoblade series fighting each other would be some awesome fan service.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm betting on "Raises Skell!" as her tag line too, considering how the giant robots were a pretty big part of not only the game but the marketing in the West.

jamesster445

Smash Lord

• Elma is Ready to Duel!
  • Elma Raises Skell!
I imagine they'll work the letter 'X' somewhere in there.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I still believe Elma's got a good chance to be in. We're currently standing at 67 unique characters listed on the website, and I honestly believe they're gonna get that number to 70. One of them's gonna be a Pokemon, of course, but I really think Elma's got a good chance at being one of our remaining newcomers. Either way, come rain or shine, we'll know before the game's out. :)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So far, Xenoblade Chronicles X is mine favourite in the series. Xenoblade 2 was phenomenal, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Xenoblade X. That said, I'm hoping for a Switch port. That, along with a sequel, would be Elma's best bet.

I've been wanting her since the pre-Smash 4 days. That said, hopefully she gets her chance this time.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I picked up this bad boy last week...
20180809_011714.jpg

Add me to that support list, baybeeee. This game is awesome. I also support Rex & Pyra, but I feel like I need to support Elma more because I'm sure Rex can make the DLC cut, easily. I can wait for him.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hey guys. I literally made an account for the sole principle of supporting Elma. I've wanted her in ever since I played X. It was also my first Xenoblade game, so I owe my love of the series to that game.

So, I think that she's got very high chances between all of the hints and possibile references to a new Xenoblade character. Also, it seems like she's a character with no wrong time to reveal. Want to port X to the Switch? Follow it up with Elma in Smash. It'll boost sales because people might be intrigued. I feel like given the install base of the Switch, X could be a million seller, just like 2.

Anyways, they could also easily reveal her along with
the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 datamine supposedly coming soon, potentially at Gamescom
I think it's very promising that we haven't seen any new Xenoblade content considering that Sakurai is a fan. He wouldn't just leave new stuff out like that. Anyways, enough rambling from me. It'll be nice to have discussions with everyone, and hopefully we get our girl into Smash!

WampaWreckage

Smash Rookie
Hello Elma fans! I'm glad there is this much support for her, because she seems like a very interesting character. I would love to see her get added into Smash Ultimate! She's one of the few characters that I'd be hyped about to play and want to main as well. I wanna give you guys, and Elma, all my support!

Also, I'd love to be in the support list!

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Elma's really going to be the odd one out here

Pretty much all the other characters have been highly requested from fans, so to have Elma would be a bit of a wild card, and I think the best way to announce her would be to promote other Xenoblade stuff, like an X port for example
And her as a rare blade

That being said, really anytime would be alright to announce her, and I mean, for those of us who are already Elma fans, there's really nothing that could make us any less hyped about her.

No matter when she's revealed, I'll be happy, and super excited that she's in
And also super relieved
Even if it means having to look at the datamines, assuming the game does get datamined

But they said that they'd reveal EVERY CHARACTER before release. meaning no secret characters, and I don't think we'll be getting a reveal so close to release this time.

Elma will almost certainly be revealed this month, or just at any random time before December

To me, October seems like a good time for another BIG Smash news dump. I feel we'll get a regular Direct for September, and then our last big Smash dump in October, possibly November.

Gamescom, the theoretical next regular Direct, or the theoretical next Smash Direct would be the perfect times to reveal her imo.
I think that is because they have announced immediately the biggest characters that they could add. After Ridley and King K. Rool are finally added really few characters can compare to them. The only character still very requested would be Bandana Dee, but after that everything is a wild card.

I also want to point out that the Vergeben statement "at least 6 more" has already been surpassed if it included echo fighters. Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, and with the other two characters he previously called we are already at seven.

Also as time goes on, I'm starting to think that when Sakurai said "don't expect too many new challengers" he meant original newcomers, the one who add a number to the website, because he is really going all in with the echoes (especially after Richter's reveal. I've never seen much support for him).
If we consider the Vergeben statement as "at least 6 more unique" then we have found out Simon and King K. Rool, leaving at least 4 characters with unique movesets.
I'm quite sure that Bandana Waddle Dee and a Gen VII Pokémon will be two of those, but the other two can totally be "lesser" characters like Elma and a Rhythm Heaven rep (I really think we will see them because they are bringing back even cut content like Ditto or Sukapon), also because there really aren't many more fan requested characters to add (well Dixie and Isabelle can be argued, but they can work as echoes).

Last edited:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit that I haven't played her game, but I like everything I have seen of her. I can't help but root for a badass woman with guns and silver hair. So count me in!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think Elma has a good chance, as while I really want Rex and Pyra, I don't think their designs would have been finalized in time for the base roster. I see them(and ARMS characters) as some of the first DLC though.

However this direct kinda shows that if they do pure smash directs, they tend to put in the big hype guys in them. The only really hype guys I see left for this game are Geno, a DQ character, and Banjo.

SO I feel Elma and anyone else would be announced in a smaller way, at a non themed direct or with something else. a Xenoblade X port would be a great place to announce her, or if they show her off as a DLC blade then there they could announce her as well.

She and a Pokemon character are 2 1st party characters I am pretty sure will be in, but will get smaller reveals.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

This confirms that the Xenoblade series has songs outside of the original Xenoblade. If it only contained songs from the original game, then the Xenoblade series would've been lumped into the "Other series" category.

This means we'll likely get XCX songs (maybe XC2 too). It's not much, but it's still encouraging to see. :)

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think Elma has a good chance, as while I really want Rex and Pyra, I don't think their designs would have been finalized in time for the base roster. I see them(and ARMS characters) as some of the first DLC though.

However this direct kinda shows that if they do pure smash directs, they tend to put in the big hype guys in them. The only really hype guys I see left for this game are Geno, a DQ character, and Banjo.

SO I feel Elma and anyone else would be announced in a smaller way, at a non themed direct or with something else. a Xenoblade X port would be a great place to announce her, or if they show her off as a DLC blade then there they could announce her as well.

She and a Pokemon character are 2 1st party characters I am pretty sure will be in, but will get smaller reveals.
Welcome!

Yeah, I completely agree, although they might also reveal her in a Smash Direct if she has a stage based on Xenoblade X with some particular gimmick that needs an explanation. If that is not the case then Yeah, she would be the ideal reveal in a general Nintendo Direct.

Also the fact that a Gen VII Pokémon is likely (and heavely rumored) means that the newcomer selection isn't limited just to the Ballot, because they weren't a thing in 2015.

This confirms that the Xenoblade series has songs outside of the original Xenoblade. If it only contained songs from the original game, then the Xenoblade series would've been lumped into the "Other series" category.

This means we'll likely get XCX songs (maybe XC2 too). It's not much, but it's still encouraging to see. :)
This is a great observation! There is no way that they will not include some songs from X, which by itself is already a great thing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Welcome!

Yeah, I completely agree, although they might also reveal her in a Smash Direct if she has a stage based on Xenoblade X with some particular gimmick that needs an explanation. If that is not the case then Yeah, she would be the ideal reveal in a general Nintendo Direct.

Also the fact that a Gen VII Pokémon is likely (and heavely rumored) means that the newcomer selection isn't limited just to the Ballot, because they weren't a thing in 2015.

This is a great observation! There is no way that they will not include some songs from X, which by itself is already a great thing.
They could save the explanation of the stage for a nintendo direct if it needs one

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Welcome to BLADE, zferolie zferolie ! :)

Someone else pointed it out, so I can't take credit for this. Unfortunately, I don't remember who said it. Lol. Still great news nonetheless!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Elma has a good chance, as while I really want Rex and Pyra, I don't think their designs would have been finalized in time for the base roster. I see them(and ARMS characters) as some of the first DLC though..
You are dreaming too much if you are expecting Elma AND a Xenoblade 2 fighter, DLC or not. Xenoblade is not Fire Emblem.

It is honestly either a Xenoblade X or Xenoblade 2 rep. I would much rather have Elma since Xenoblade X was a solid game (unlike 2), and Elma is really cool. But honestly neither a XCX or XC2 rep is extremely likely to me, since this Smash is very focused on popular requests.

Top Bottom