• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Godspeed, frens.
Remember that even if we don't get anything today, there's still hope for a reveal before release.
Unless we get X port confirmation and no Elma shows up in Smash, that'd be a downer.

But good luck and I'll see you all on the other side!

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
There's bound to be a few more characters revealed between now and the release, right? Elma could still have a chance... I hope.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
There's bound to be at least a couple more, but I think the priority was put onto all of the veterans to be presentable for the big 'EVERYONE IS BACK' reveal

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Brb... i see her chances toned down a lot, i don't want to be pessimistic but Sakurai doesn't seem to want to add many more characters..

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Brb... i see her chances toned down a lot, i don't want to be pessimistic but Sakurai doesn't seem to want to add many more characters..
We're getting less for sure but it's still a new game and they're gonna have new characters of course, even if we get like 10 or something Elma still has a decent shot, especially if sakurai saw something unique in her which isn't a difficult thing to imagine.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Yah, I'm still pretty hopeful.

We still have over 5 months until release, so I'm sure we're getting reveals as we move towards that date.

They might even reveal something after the invitational.
Now that Ridley's out of the way, it could pretty much be anyone.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yah, I'm still pretty hopeful.

We still have over 5 months until release, so I'm sure we're getting reveals as we move towards that date.

They might even reveal something after the invitational.
Now that Ridley's out of the way, it could pretty much be anyone.
Simon Belmont is still very possible if the leaks are anything to go by but who really knows at this point

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Keep in mind we've seen 2 characters out of like, 10 minimum, Elma's still got a fighting chance
They explicitly said not to expect too many new characters. I'm guessing 10 will be the MAX.

That said, either Elma or Rex/Pyra is going to be one of those, there's no doubt in my mind, but the longer we wait the more likely to be Rex/Pyra IMO.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They explicitly said not to expect too many new characters. I'm guessing 10 will be the MAX.

That said, either Elma or Rex/Pyra is going to be one of those, there's no doubt in my mind, but the longer we wait the more likely to be Rex/Pyra IMO.
"not too many characters" could mean anything, brawl had like 18 and smash 4 had like 15. 8-10 seems like a good prediction. I don't think the amount of time that goes by means anything, as far as we're aware, the project plan was finalized in mid-2016 and rex and pyra's designs were finalized even after that, nothing's changed in that regard

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I could see Elma having a bit of a leg up because of being considered for Smash 4's DLC; Sakurai might already have ideas for her. Also, as an aside, her Japanese VA also performs Mei Ling and Paramedic from Metal Gear Solid. If they record new codecs having the same VA in studio would be convenient. I can imagine Paramedic being very excited about seeing an actual extra terrestial in disguise like in her sci-fi flicks.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly the thing there will not be many nrwcomers doesn't scare me. It probably has to do with the factc that in 2016 there weren't many interesting choices from the games of that period. Elma is an exception of that.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly the thing there will not be many nrwcomers doesn't scare me. It probably has to do with the factc that in 2016 there weren't many interesting choices from the games of that period. Elma is an exception of that.
This too, I can't name more than like 10 characters that would actually be interesting choices that are also relevant right now anyway tbh

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
This too, I can't name more than like 10 characters that would actually be interesting choices that are also relevant right now anyway tbh
Right now I think there are a few, but back in 2016 we didn't have Arms, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses etc etc.
Really the only notable characters back then were Elma, Bandana Dee and Captain Toad.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Right now I think there are a few, but back in 2016 we didn't have Arms, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses etc etc.
Really the only notable characters back then were Elma, Bandana Dee and Captain Toad.
There's like Elma, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Paper Mario, isabelle, *insert pokemon* and that's pretty much it. There's also possible Zelda and rhythm heaven reps too I guess, but unless they start dipping into fan favourites like K Rool and Isaac the options are definitely lacking.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since my first most wanted newcomer (Fiora) got the Chrom treatment in yesterday’s reveals, I’m now fully backing Elma and Rex/Pyra!

It’s true, I don’t think Elma is exactly E3 material, unlike Ridley. And they COULD have revealed Rex to tie in to the Xenoblade 2 DLC announcement, but they didn’t. Something tells me they’re saving a dual reveal for a future Direct, hopefully one in which a Switch port for X is announced, assuming the 10 hinted characters thing is true and there’s still a handful more non-DLC characters to go.

Part of me wants to write up a mock trailer script (what I was infamous for back in the day) but I’m kinda not very confident on it, especially since some concepts may be rehashed. Some. :c

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
I'm here throwing my support for Elma! It would be incredible for her to make it in. I don't have the source, but there was something going around that Sakurai was creating a moveset or something based on a mech... I was wondering if anyone else heard the same.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has Caitlin Glass (Elma’s English VO) tweeted anything about working on any “exciting projects” outside of Xenoblade X? Cause Skye Bennett (Pyra’s VO from 2) has tweeted such a thing, and similar circumstances with Adam Howden led to Shulk’s reveal in 4.

Anyone willing to tweet Caitlin themselves? I’m too shy for this sorta thing ._.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Has Caitlin Glass (Elma’s English VO) tweeted anything about working on any “exciting projects” outside of Xenoblade X? Cause Skye Bennett (Pyra’s VO from 2) has tweeted such a thing, and similar circumstances with Adam Howden led to Shulk’s reveal in 4.

Anyone willing to tweet Caitlin themselves? I’m too shy for this sorta thing ._.
Man, now that Snake is in, Elma is my most wanted. I want her so much that I actually just did that:

https://twitter.com/Nonno_Umby/status/1007368910868500480?s=09

Serranity

Smash Rookie
I initially did not have a Smashboards account, but I finally decided to make one just to support this noble cause. Bless everyone here. The only thing I disagree with is that you are the biggest Elma fan, since I personally think I am :) For real tho, count me in. Elma needs to be in smash!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, now that Snake is in, Elma is my most wanted. I want her so much that I actually just did that:

https://twitter.com/Nonno_Umby/status/1007368910868500480?s=09
You’re doing the lord’s work. o7 gave it a like and retweet too!

And as promised, here’s my speculation + mock-up trailer concept for Elma, Rex and Pyra!
Pardon the blatant wish fulfillment parts of the trailer (including the ahem quasi-fanfiction-y part near the end and my little notes). I tried my best to do R&P and their echo some justice, despite me not having played 2 yet, but I’m quite proud of the specs for Elma herself, including her gimmick. Also, there’s some X spoilers, but no 2 spoilers, just letting you guys know in advance. X is 3 years old now anyway, so that one X spoiler shouldn’t be such a big deal anymore I don’t think, especially since Mecha-Fiora is now in Shulk’s FS.

There’s also a concept for Bandana Dee at the start but I can’t think of much to do with him yet lol;;;

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
She replied...that she doesn't know. At least we tried.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
“I don’t know” is a fairly common response when under NDA, right?
Yeah. I mean it doesn’t really help much.

Either way Elma is still a likely character. She’s a stand out among the end of Wii U/3DS era, and her game got a lot of praise. Plus, she has a unique move set. There’s a lot going for her!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Oh I love and need Elma in smash ultimate she is so cool oh love her character she gots so much usual and unique move sets from Xenoblade Chronicles X. I like Elma to be smash ultimate over Rex but I not sure that will happen I see Rex being more likely than Elma because the XC2 success Switch Life cycle. We'll be lucky if we get Rex and Elma both in the roster.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So far, the newcomers (Ridley, Daisy, & Inklings) were highly requested during the ballot period. I'm not convinced we'll see any Switch era characters in the base roster.

The thing that hurts Elma's chance the most is that her fanbase wasn't (and still isn't) large enough to be considered. I can't stop thinking about Sakurai's comment on the amount of newcomers being smaller. My feeling is that they're going to focus on favorite characters for the newcomers, instead of focusing on characters from the previous generation like he has done for previous Smash iterations. I'm hoping the next newcomer will provide a clearer picture of who we can expect.

I'm going to keep rooting for her, but I can't deny that my hopes have been significantly lowered after this E3 showing. :(

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So far, the newcomers (Ridley, Daisy, & Inklings) were highly requested during the ballot period. I'm not convinced we'll see any Switch era characters in the base roster.

The thing that hurts Elma's chance the most is that her fanbase wasn't (and still isn't) large enough to be considered. I can't stop thinking about Sakurai's comment on the amount of newcomers being smaller. My feeling is that they're going to focus on favorite characters for the newcomers, instead of focusing on characters from the previous generation like he has done for previous Smash iterations. I'm hoping the next newcomer will provide a clearer picture of who we can expect.

I'm going to keep rooting for her, but I can't deny that my hopes have been significantly lowered after this E3 showing. :(
I think that if X gets an “enhanced edition” or even just a regular port announced for Switch, it could help Elma’s chances.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
XBX released in the West 3 months after the ballot ended unfortunately. Kind of hard to vote for her. I only picked up the game on launch day on a whim and ended up falling in love with it.
There's a few things that she might have going for her, though. It's a longshot, but
  1. XBX performed better on an underperforming console than XBC did on the Wii; this might've been noticed by Sakurai
  2. XBX was a technological achievement for Monolith Soft, and their openworld knowhow from X is encoded into BotW and XB2's DNA. XB1 caught Sakurai's eye back on the Wii which helped Shulk get into Smash (source: XBC 3D interview)
  3. The game is a likely candidate for a port and the franchise has a clear future
  4. An X character would've likely been considered for Smash 4's promo DLC. Sakurai does revisit old ideas, so it's possible their concept could be used anew for the new game
Still, at this point we might be lucky to get a stage or music. Not looking forward to seeing Elma pop out of an assist trophy...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Tbh I can see both relevant era and fan favorites get in. There wasn’t a lot of relevant era characters to pick from since the end of Wii U era was barren so I believe he will try to add some fan favorites along with them.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Tbh I can see both relevant era and fan favorites get in. There wasn’t a lot of relevant era characters to pick from since the end of Wii U era was barren so I believe he will try to add some fan favorites along with them.
I feel like we'll get a healthy mix, and tbh there's quite a few wii u era characters who double as fan favourites too like Dixie, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, paper mario and captain toad. We could get guys like those and then a couple strictly fan favourites and strictly relevant characters.

And then you gotta remember sakurai always has and will likely to continue adding characters that make unique fighters which Elma certainly fits.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think the most likely Wii U + 3DS era characters are Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Isabelle, and Elma.

Honestly, even if Elma isn't in the base roster, DLC gives her a solid shot if XCX gets its port within the DLC timeframe.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm still convinced that Elma's got her spot in the bag. Sakurai bought that toy with a gun for "use developing his next project" and what Nintendo character wields a gun like that beyond Elma? Snake certainly ain't toting one of those around.

D

Deleted member

Personally, i think elma is the most likely newcomer. With the whole mech thing with sakurai, and that the inklings dont use any sort of rifle, to me personally elmas chances has skyrocketed.

Top Bottom