• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's very possible there will be more waves, but this is the only one that we can talk about with evidence, although campaigning for a possible second wave isn't the worst idea it's probably better to start when we know who the 5 characters are already, because that means that work has started on them and they're no longer working on content that was pre planned

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
As long as Elma is not shown as an Assist she is still safe.
And if DLC was decided upon near the project plan (Sakurai seemed to suggest this for the reason why Rex isn't playable) and with no significant X content in the game (no X Music, Stage, Character, AT, etc.), Elma still has a great chance of being one of those 5 DLC characters.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Moving on from the Direct for a second, I know folks keep talking about Sliding Slinger, but I'm imagining Ghost Factory being an interesting/outright scary move. I imagine it being like a counter of sorts that makes Elma invincible (but maybe immobile) for a split second or so (think Obito from Naruto). If it's slightly longer than that and/or she can move around, maybe give the move a cool down period or something. IDK, but I just think Ghost Factory is her coolest attack lol.

Elma seems like a rushdown character that excels at mid range but would probably be really light to compensate (and if they go by the gravity in X, she probably is floaty in the air and jumps pretty high). They can give her a stealthy attack in the fashion of Greninja, since she has an art that allows you to briefly go undetected. Shadowstrike can work like Backslash, that is, it does more damage if you attack the enemy from behind.

Has anyone suggested if weapon switch might work depending on if smash attacks are charged or not? That is, uncharged is short range and charged is long range. I like the idea of her tilts being swords and smashes being guns or vice versa, with the special button attacks assigned to her signature arts. Actually dedicating a button to switch may work, too. I've seen that suggestion probably more than the others. Regardless, I hope she uses the swords/guns roughly equally.

If Elma gained "TP" mid-fight like Cloud gained Limit, that'd be nuts. Imagine going overdrive after meeting certain conditions.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's very possible there will be more waves, but this is the only one that we can talk about with evidence, although campaigning for a possible second wave isn't the worst idea it's probably better to start when we know who the 5 characters are already, because that means that work has started on them and they're no longer working on content that was pre planned
Let's hope you're right, it'd be a bit odd to just have 5 DLC characters.

On the other hand, Sakurai seemed practically ready to sleep and not be disturbed for the next 7 years, so I'm not sure how much further he and the staff can be pushed.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well dang. I really had high hopes for Elma. I guess we have a shot for DLC but I'll be honest, I can see Sakurai just skipping straight to Rex at this point (at least he's a cool character).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hi there. Don't think I've visited before.

Just wanted to say that I fully support Elma for DLC. Actually, I think she's one of the more likely picks for one of the 5 DLC characters that we know of.

Here's hoping.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Elma has a snowball's chance in the middle of the sun. We know her ballot popularity is non-existent. X's presence in Smash is the bare minimum. No-one liked X. And every argument you could make about her popularity is doubly true for hundreds of other characters
Not all characters were ballot contenders. Incineroar, Isabelle, and even Simon (to a certain extent) are pretty clear proof of that.

Alright so I'll make an argument w/o using popularity.

Honestly, I genuinely think Elma might be one of the 5 DLC characters.

Consider the following:
-Each pack comes with a character, music, and a stage.
-We have no stage (duh).
-XB2 has a surprising amount of representation in Ultimate
-X has virtually NO content in Ultimate
-All of the characters (INCLUDING DLC) were chosen around the same time (late 2015 / early 2016)
-Elma was very relevant at the time of the roster's finalization.

Why add in any content from X if it were to be added in later as DLC?
She may actually be a frontrunner in terms of Nintendo reps.

Last edited:

Yluma

Smash Rookie
NNID
WhatACreativeID
3DS FC
4854-7666-5145
Switch FC
5660-9773-7212
Consider the following:
-We have no stage (duh).
-All of the characters (INCLUDING DLC) were chosen around the same time (late 2015 / early 2016)
Also note that we don't have any XCX music. Either it's being completely slept on for whatever reason, or they keep it for Elma's release.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Not all characters were ballot contenders. Incineroar, Isabelle, and even Simon (to a certain extent) are pretty clear proof of that.

Alright so I'll make an argument w/o using popularity.

Honestly, I genuinely think Elma might be one of the 5 DLC characters.

Consider the following:
-We have no stage (duh).

Why add in any content from X if it were to be added in later as DLC?
She may actually be a frontrunner in terms of Nintendo reps.
To be fair they have shown a SKELL Spirit
IMG_20181101_185116_632.jpg

BUT DLC don't came with new Spirits as far as we know, and as long as Elma herself isn't one we should be fine (we might even if she is, like how Mewtwo was a regular trophy before being DLC).

This at least proves that they aren't just ignoring X for the sake of doing it...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, one positive thing that came of this: I've already seen a lot more people talk about Elma as being potential DLC. Now my only hope is that she ends up being the first one (after Piranha Plant), because I really don't want to wait until February of 2020. . .

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I highly doubt she wont be anything but the first or second, seeing as the criminally absent XBX stuff is at hand.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Remember that not all songs are unlocked by default. Remixes or X tracks might be locked until you buy them with ingame currency.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Ken's pose matches the Grinch leak. But it's been fun guys, maybe we can K Rool Elma into the next one.
Yeah, about that...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Even if you don't buy the post's claim, the Ken pose is most likely just a coincidence, since it's missing the flames as other posters said before me.

Elma still lives.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Even if you don't buy the post's claim, the Ken pose is most likely just a coincidence, since it's missing the flames as other posters said before me.

Elma still lives.
There's also the fact that the Shoryureppa is Ken's signature move. There's no way that wouldn't be the pose he's in.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One more good thing about the prospect of DLC, then: We're for sure gonna get a stage from X. I'm gonna place my guesses on either Primordia/NLA or Noctilum.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Never lose Hope! Your character can be a DLC! Fight for it!

Im fighting for Agumon as well!

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
if we do get a stage i hope its a moving stage, kinda like prism tower or skyloft, so it would go around all the game's continents, but i doubt something like this would work due to technical difficulties on keeping the framerate to 60 fps

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Y'know...I didn't know about DLC being developed around the time of the project plan. Maybe Elma has a chance after all. I thought she had to be base or bust because DLC is usually used for big money items but all the evidence you guys have said makes sense.

We can't give up! Elma for DLC! I'm supporting!

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Now that it’s all over... just what was that mech figure that Sakurai purchased really for? I was set on it being either Elma or Mach rider, but now I’m just dazed and confused lol

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So...

DLC predictions?

My guess would be Elma, Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Sora, and Skull Kid. Interesting to hear that there are no echoes planned for DLC. Rex, Springman, Ribbon Girl, Isaac, Shantae, Shadow, and Dixie Kong all got deconfirmed, so that definitely decreases potential newcomers. Maybe Elma just took too much development time with her moveset. The mystery of the robot figure lives on as well.

Also, if we don't see any tracks in the base game by Sawano then I think it's fair to assume that Elma is DLC.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
FYI Skull Kid is an Assist Trophy; he's listed on the web site.

I would be really surprised if even a single DLC wasn't third party. It seems like the easiest way to sort out profits of characters like Banjo-Kazooie or Geno. Looking at Smash 4's DLC, besides veterans they were all intended to promote something or third parties. Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta as third parties, Corrin (and sort of Bayonetta) as promotional inclusions. That said, the fact that they decided on DLC during planning is really bizarre to me.

I'm definitely going to wait until people comb through the rest of the game before we settle on whether X content is totally out. We haven't seen all the Spirits, nor all the song tracks or composers yet.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Geno is a spirit and skull kid is a assist trophy right?

I don't know guys, I will be happy if Elma is dlc but even that kinda bother me a bit, she should have been base, definitely should, why did they give priority for the likes of incineroar or Isabelle over Elma already annoys me, and seing the whole xenoblade x cast being treated as they did not exist, Sakurai talking about Xenoblade characters when just showing xenoblade 2 stuff, that burned me, does Sakurai have a problem with X? The **** was that, never in my most pessimistic thoughts would I imagine X being ignored when maiden of black water was not.

My hype for smash was killed, and part of my respect with Sakurai too.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
So...

DLC predictions?

My guess would be Elma, Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Sora, and Skull Kid. Interesting to hear that there are no echoes planned for DLC. Rex, Springman, Ribbon Girl, Isaac, Shantae, Shadow, and Dixie Kong all got deconfirmed, so that definitely decreases potential newcomers. Maybe Elma just took too much development time with her moveset. The mystery of the robot figure lives on as well.

Also, if we don't see any tracks in the base game by Sawano then I think it's fair to assume that Elma is DLC.
I agree with your last statement, and to my knowledge we have yet to see one so here’s hoping . Also, skull kid returned as an assist so he’s out

(In no particular order)
My dlc prediction:
1. Lloyd
2. Elma
3. Banjo & Kazooie
4. Sora
5.???

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
FYI Skull Kid is an Assist Trophy; he's listed on the web site.

I would be really surprised if even a single DLC wasn't third party. It seems like the easiest way to sort out profits of characters like Banjo-Kazooie or Geno. Looking at Smash 4's DLC, besides veterans they were all intended to promote something or third parties. Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta as third parties, Corrin (and sort of Bayonetta) as promotional inclusions. That said, the fact that they decided on DLC during planning is really bizarre to me.

I'm definitely going to wait until people comb through the rest of the game before we settle on whether X content is totally out. We haven't seen all the Spirits, nor all the song tracks or composers yet.
Nintendo just this week said Smash is a good way to promote their lesser known games and characters. It was in the same report they talked about DLC in their games.

So I doubt we won't get Nintendo characters as DLC. Xenoblade X being MIA for now gives her a decent chance to be one of the 5.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Whelp, now that 3 of my top 4 were massacred (Isaac and probably Geno and Dixie), I really hope I can atleast get Elma as DLC.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Whelp, now that 3 of my top 4 were massacred (Isaac and probably Geno and Dixie), I really hope I can atleast get Elma as DLC.
I wouldn't count Geno and Dixie out just yet. Spirits are pretty much just trophies with more function than just something to collect and those never de-confirmed a fighter for DLC before. K. Rool also appears as a spirit too so that proves you can be both a fighter and a spirit.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
NO X Content besides that skell thing and maybe a few other spirits. no X music. Nothing. We don't even know what the mech is used for. If Spirits do TRULY deconfirm characters, Elma is honestly one of the most logicla picks. I can't really see anyone else besides Bandana Waddle Dee for First party besides those two unless I miss someone. There is still a chance.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
With Isaac downed (pun thoroughly intended), mine most wanted character as of now is Elma. Xenoblade Chronicles X, so far, is mine favourite Xenoblade game. The fact that we got a Skell as a Spirit does mean that Sakurai at least knows about Xenoblade X. That said, I hope a Xenoblade X port gets announced soon--if nothing else, to boost Elma's chances.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Guys I got it.

During the direct it was apparently stated that DLC was included in the project plan, but obviously the characters weren’t developed yet. X released at the prime time to be considered for this dlc, early enough to be considered for the final game, but too late to make it into base.

Also, as far as I can tell (someone please correct me if I’m mistaken) Xenoblade is the only first party franchise that consists of ONE REP only, and it seems that no music from X was included in the game (check the end of the direct, on guar planes you can clearly see all the music due to the scroller)That and there’s the whole figma gun thing.

I’m pretty confident that Elma could make it in.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
A little sad that it ended the way it is, but...

I don’t know if it’s been said already but Rex isn’t going to be in the first batch of DLC because his game came out after they planned on DLC newcomers. So that and along with the ton of effort Monolith Soft pushed for Elma and how X doesn’t seem to have anything so far, maybe Elma was actually being hinted at DLC instead?

Maybe DLC wasn’t the end for Elma after all.

Last edited:

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Okay, after the... revelations of today's Smash Direct, I think I'm okay. However, we as a community need to unite! Unite for our Sliding Slinger! We need to rise together to Build a Legacy After the Rejection of Elma! We must go Beyond the Logos, and make our Artificial Destiny Emancipator!

WE MUST RISE UP FOR OUR QUEEN ELMA! Join me as I stand up to bring Elma to Smash Bros. Ultimate!

My brothers and sisters, we must tell Sakurai and Monolith Soft that a lowly Formula Skell sticker is far from enough to satiate us! We demand that our beloved Colonel joins the battle!
Blare Uncontrollable from your computers! Let us Find the Key We Lost as we fight this Black Tar of rejection! We will not bend to the pre-established Way!

RISE UP, MY FELLOW BLADES, AND FIGHT FOR ELMA!

D

Deleted member

Really now that Rex, Midna, and Skull Kid are dead I'm kinda banking on Elma. Funnily enough, in a bizarre twist of fate, Elma is more likely as DLC then Rex is due to DLC being chosen during the project plan rather then afterwards! Whoda thunkit? I kinda doubt that she'll be first though- they probably want to entice people in first with a more highly requested character.

Anyways my predictions for DLC chars (not in any particular order)

1. Elma (i gotta go for my girl)
2. Lloyd
3. Banjo
4. Mach Rider as a retro rep
5. Literally anyone besides Geno or Sora or any SE character- the fact that SE didn't even let Cloud be in the World of Light trailer makes me think that Sakurai probably had too pull all the strings he had left in order to even get Cloud back; the fact that he even managed to get Geno as a spirit is astonishing to me

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
There's a possibility that Xenoblade X stickers isn't just the Formula Skell and that it only happened to be shown off.

There's also a possibility that the playlist for the Xenoblade series wasn't complete since there's music to unlock, but they decided to make the Xenoblade 2 music free.
There's still a slight chance we might not get her. But I'm still pretty confident until we get our hands on the game/datamining/review leaks come forward to hint at exclusion or inclusion.

I'm banking on her inclusion.
Why? Because the DLC bonus is a Rex costume. Sakurai made special mention of Xenoblade 2 in a small section of the direct. Elma being the first fighter pack to be included in the Season Pass won't be so far off to imagine thanks to that.

Let's not forget the plethora of strong evidence going for her.

Last edited:

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
lol!
I've watched the direct and it's sooo fun!! It even gave me more hopes for Elma, as she has not music at all, and only the skell as a spirit.
As Source Gaming said, Rex was too soon, and they guessed it.
I also believe that the stickers might not keep the AT rule, because with trophies (which has been replaced) didn't have that rule, there were some trophies in Smash 4 that were being playable characters in DLC (Mewtwo or Lucas)

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
It's good to know that DLC started in the planning phase. Kind of a strange irony if Elma was considered for DLC in Smash 4 but got in as DLC in Ultimate.

Again, we don't know why Sakurai needed that figurine. If there's nothing in the base game that matches up with it, I think that Elma's even more likely. To me, it just seems so odd that one of the Wii U's best games got nothing besides a Skell spirit. Even whatever that Fatal Frame game was got an assist trophy. The fact that Sawano had a secret project which is likely Smash is good. He's primarily an anime composer, so it's not likely that he'd be brought in for any video game music. X music is the only likely scenario. And sure, it could be unlockable, but it still seems like a conscious decision to show basically nothing from X.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That's gotta be one hell of a reversal of fortunes if it comes to pass, though. Pre-release, everyone keeps ignoring Elma in favour of the usual suspects or passing her over for Rex, and now, for DLC, she's already shaping up to be the likeliest candidate, and being actually treated as such in discussions. I wouldn't mind it.

Top Bottom