• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
can y'all imagine the salt that would spew out from the GS fanbase if Elma gets in but Isaac doesn't? It'll be like Smash 4 all over again lmao
Why not imagine the GS fanbase getting Isaac and us getting Elma so there's no salt and everyone can appreciate getting their most wanted character?

I think that's the better outcome. :)

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Welp, here it is. Either the leak is fake or I'm eating crow. No matter what happens I'll be happy with the roster but still I'm not gonna lie my two most wanted throughout this whole journey has been Elma and Shantae, and I'm still hoping against hope that Sakurai is gonna troll SmashBoards one last time. Lets do this everybody!

Still, the utter lack of Xenoblade content in Smash so far is just way too suspicious to me for a franchise Nintendo really, really wants to push in their bid for the JRPG market. Fingers crossed everyone...

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I feel like we have to believe in Elma's chances. Having a trailer for being a DLC blade in Xenoblade 2 can't have been for nothing. Shulk and Fiora were shown off at E3, the biggest western video game expo, and they didn't even get that. My initial thought was that it was to make Elma familiar to a general audience for the eventual X port, but that got deconfirmed. So it seems like the only reason would be for Smash. At least, I have to hope so.

Also, I'd like to point out that this will probably be the retail version of Smash shown off at the Treehouse Live segment. We've had the E3 build for so long, and now they're showing off more, with a Treehouse event, which has historically only been during E3. I think that there's something in the direct that's going to warrant a stream, and having quite a few new characters might be exactly that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like we have to believe in Elma's chances. Having a trailer for being a DLC blade in Xenoblade 2 can't have been for nothing. Shulk and Fiora were shown off at E3, the biggest western video game expo, and they didn't even get that. My initial thought was that it was to make Elma familiar to a general audience for the eventual X port, but that got deconfirmed. So it seems like the only reason would be for Smash. At least, I have to hope so.

Also, I'd like to point out that this will probably be the retail version of Smash shown off at the Treehouse Live segment. We've had the E3 build for so long, and now they're showing off more, with a Treehouse event, which has historically only been during E3. I think that there's something in the direct that's going to warrant a stream, and having quite a few new characters might be exactly that.
I wouldn’t say a X Switch port is deconfirmed, just that they’re taking longer than usual to reverse engineer and develop it.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I wouldn’t say a X Switch port is deconfirmed, just that they’re taking longer than usual to reverse engineer and develop it.
True, but the point that I was really trying to make is that it isn't coming any time soon, as far as we can tell. Having more people know about Elma would make them want to play a game that features her in a starring role. Same with Smash, and only one of the two is coming out in the near future. That's why I think that it can't have been for nothing.

Oh, and the whole Smash direct appearing when looking at Elma's trailer for Xenoblade 2 thing. That's kind of suspicious.

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
After scavenging the internet for an unhealthy amount of time, I actually think Elma’s chances are still pretty decent. The general consensus from all the insiders I’ve been reading into is that the banner got some characters right, but multiple wrong ones as well. Apparently some characters are straight up missing from the banner, it’s not a direct confirmation by any means, but it totally doesn’t rule Elma out by any stretch of the imagination.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Omg. So Gamexplain just uploaded a video of their predictions for the Direct. Jon, one of the members, is apparently predicting Elma!

I can't confirm if he actually said it, but can someone go and check the video out?

IIRC they correctly predicted Isabelle for the last Direct, so I think this "prediction" is something to consider.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Omg. So Gamexplain just uploaded a video of their predictions for the Direct. Jon, one of the members, is apparently predicting Elma!

I can't confirm if he actually said it, but can someone go and check the video out?

IIRC they correctly predicted Isabelle for the last Direct, so I think this "prediction" is something to consider.
Watching it RN. Will post here if he says anything about our girl.

EDIT: Apaprently it was just about the Skell being an item or something and said no new Xenoblade Characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

EDIT: Apaprently it was just about the Skell being an item or something and said no new Xenoblade Characters.
Oof...I hope that’s NOT the case...

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Oh man. :(

Well, let's hope it's just a prediction and not something that's indicative of insider knowledge.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Could potentially be good for Elma's chances if he was just being tricky.

I personally have stopped watching Gamexplain ever since Jon "predicted" Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn and the FFVII, IX, X, X2, and XII ports. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Like, are you seriously saying that Kirby's Epic Yarn, a game that hasn't been relevant forever, is getting a port? And all those Final Fantasies except for VIII? The videos are supposed to be predictions, not leaks.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
It was Jon. He said, "I predict there will be no new Xenoblade characters, but the skells from Xenoblade Chronicles X will be items."

https://youtu.be/JsTbp_5CaDE?t=3067
That's a real darn shame. Granted the idea of a Skell item is cool. But the fact that a lot of people downplay Xenoblade X not getting a character in Elma is always a bummer to me. Especially since it was one of the big games for the Wii U and is part of a rising Nintendo IP. If we can get Shulk back during Smash 4 when the series was still niche and people begging for Rex as DLC, why can't we get Elma from X? It's not like Xenoblade is Fire Emblem or Pokemon where they have so many reps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

O O F

Honestly I hope it's simply a prediction, but it does worry me that Elma hasn't been mentioned by any credible leaker...

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
Basically, according to Jon, we're getting Incineroar, Ken, Viridi and Chibi Robo
The first 2 I can see. Though part of me feels for some strange reason we won't get a new pokemon for ultimate. Also his case for Viridi can't work because she doesn't have the same body type as Palutena. Sakurai even stated this when talking about Isabelle that echoes need to have the same body type. Which Isabelle doesn't have when compared to villager. It's also one of the reasons I could never see Malos as a Shulk echo because of their height difference.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Yeah, it's clear that the Gamexplain peeps throw in a few characters that aren't going to happen as potential bait. At least, I think so. Maybe the no new Xenoblade characters is just that, and then we actually do get Elma. As long as Mach Rider isn't revealed, there's a chance. The mech could potentially be for both Elma and Mach Rider as far as I can tell. And I don't really see Sakurai using the figure for an assist trophy in the form of a Skell.

We aren't playing Danganronpa, but I'll be the Ultimate Hope if need be.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I mean, a Skell boss battle is still a possibility if you think about it. What we want out of this is Elma. But if a Skell happens it's very likely Elma would be there too. Maybe a Ares Skell boss and Elma's FS is her piloting a Formula Skell.
Rathalos and Monster Hunter are a special case since they are collaboration characters, so scrapping Monster Hunter themselves as playable characters for DLC is much more plausible.

...The wait will be a long one, that's for sure.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Blog post tonight is Rosalina and Luma. So this confirms that we're getting new music in the direct. It sure is an exciting yet hair-pulling time. Music theory please come back from the dead to give Elma a chance.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Anticipating a little bit of disappointment tomorrow with no Elma...but I am(probably OVERLY) optimistic in her chances as a Xenoblade bundle pack DLC...it just makes sense doesn’t it? If Nintendo is planning on going big for DLC, then I think they’d want to capitalize on all easy to implement 1st parties
(Elma could for sure borrow assets from Bayonetta, ZSS, and Samus I feel.) I also am unsure if another ballot would be helpful? She would for sure get more votes than she did on the previous ballot...but I’m not quite sure if she could content with powerhouses still left...BUT I do think she could stand a very decent chance in an only 1st party ballot, maybe even making top 10

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
I mean, a Skell boss battle is still a possibility if you think about it.
A Skell boss battle would be sick, but you know what would be amazing?

TELETHIA THE ENDBRINGER BOSS BATTLE

In regards to expectations, I want to say that Elma will get in, but I can't let myself get too hyped, or I may get disappointed. I can only hope that we can get some Xenoblade X content in Ultimate, at least something other than trophies.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Doesn't Elma pilot a Verus skell canonically? The red one we saw a lot in promotional art.
She also pilots a Formula model during the final "push" to the last area with the rest of the group also piloting the same colored, same model Skells.
But yeah, iirc, canonically she pilots Verus because she likes the bunny ears? But the Formula model is the most iconic one, and is usually the issue model for new pilots.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah, it's clear that the Gamexplain peeps throw in a few characters that aren't going to happen as potential bait. At least, I think so. Maybe the no new Xenoblade characters is just that, and then we actually do get Elma. As long as Mach Rider isn't revealed, there's a chance. The mech could potentially be for both Elma and Mach Rider as far as I can tell. And I don't really see Sakurai using the figure for an assist trophy in the form of a Skell.

We aren't playing Danganronpa, but I'll be the Ultimate Hope if need be.
I mean, it wouldn't surprise me because since Jon literally spoiled most surprises from the Direct (heck he even said that Isabelle wouldn't be an echo) many have raised an eyebrow on him, so he has to predict some things wrong now in order to remain credible.

Also can I be the Ultimate Hope too?

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Thats...the opposite of credible...
Credible as just a journalist (his job) and not an actual leaker. People are even stalking some of his social account now in order to see if there are any more info to gain from it. I get why he wouldn't like that.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, it might be worth checking out GameXPlain's prediction video for the previous Smash Direct, if Jon is what we focus on here. But other than that, I think it's nothing to noteworthy.

But that aside - going back to music, what songs do you think are absolutely gonna make it in, regardless of what Elma's fate ends up being? I personally am willing to bet on Uncontrollable, Black Tar and Wir Fliegen to make it in regardless of anything else.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The Mech/Vifam figure was bought specifically for the gun, so the fact it's a mech means nothing for Elma's chances. And as for those GameExplain predictions... Viridi? Klonoa? Are they taking the piss? A skell as an item would also be a bizarre inclusion, although not one I'd be against.

I don't expect to see Elma in the direct but a remix or other content (enemies in the new mode for instance) would be nice at least.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
As someone who follows Jon on twitter and has been a fan of his for a while, I really just think he was just lucky with his guesses. Most of his predictions are built on the basis of trends and solid information.

Animal Crossing is Nintendo's third established franchise (besides pokemon go) to get a mobile game and Isabelle was the character used to headline it, as she did in Animal Crossing Plaza, New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, and Amiibo Festival. Although in hindsight, it does make a lot of logical sense she'd make it in and as a semi-clone or unique character at that as some of Villager's moves just don't suit her.

The FF ports make sense as "port everything to Switch" has been a mantra since the console came out and has been embraced by developers because of how well said ports preform on the platform.

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn also makes sense as it falls in line with the array of stylized Wii and Wii U 2D side scrollers that made their way to 3DS including DKC: Returns, Rayman Origins, Wolly World, and Super Mario Maker. The library needs padding because Nintendo's full efforts being put onto the Switch.

He's been in this industry for a long while so I really think he was just lucky the last time around.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
As someone who follows Jon on twitter and has been a fan of his for a while, I really just think he was just lucky with his guesses. Most of his predictions are built on the basis of trends and solid information.

Animal Crossing is Nintendo's third established franchise (besides pokemon go) to get a mobile game and Isabelle was the character used to headline it, as she did in Animal Crossing Plaza, New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, and Amiibo Festival. Although in hindsight, it does make a lot of logical sense she'd make it in and as a semi-clone or unique character at that as some of Villager's moves just don't suit her.

The FF ports make sense as "port everything to Switch" has been a mantra since the console came out and has been embraced by developers because of how well said ports preform on the platform.

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn also makes sense as it falls in line with the array of stylized Wii and Wii U 2D side scrollers that made their way to 3DS including DKC: Returns, Rayman Origins, Wolly World, and Super Mario Maker. The library needs padding because Nintendo's full efforts being put onto the Switch.

He's been in this industry for a long while so I really think he was just lucky the last time around.
Can definitely support this idea. The Final Fantasy ports were also based on the fact Square opened a studio specifically for porting stuff to Switch.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Can definitely support this idea. The Final Fantasy ports were also based on the fact Square opened a studio specifically for porting stuff to Switch.
And that were the FF games that were already avaiable on PS4. In fact VIII isn't on it as well.

But we will see. Still routing for our colonel here.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
Anticipating a little bit of disappointment tomorrow with no Elma...but I am(probably OVERLY) optimistic in her chances as a Xenoblade bundle pack DLC...it just makes sense doesn’t it? If Nintendo is planning on going big for DLC, then I think they’d want to capitalize on all easy to implement 1st parties
(Elma could for sure borrow assets from Bayonetta, ZSS, and Samus I feel.) I also am unsure if another ballot would be helpful? She would for sure get more votes than she did on the previous ballot...but I’m not quite sure if she could content with powerhouses still left...BUT I do think she could stand a very decent chance in an only 1st party ballot, maybe even making top 10
I'm hoping for a Xenoblade bundle pack too if she isn't in the base roster. I've just found it very odd that up to this point that there has been no hints of Xenoblade X representation. It just seems weird to me that Sakurai would withhold Xenoblade X content for Ultimate just to leave it for a DLC bundle. Like music and a stage. Cause he always seems to create new content for a series already on the roster if they had a game release before the project plan. Though in fairness we really only have 4 new stages. And still don't know whether or not we will get 108 total stages or just stick to 103.

Top Bottom