• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Love how you skipped over the part where I said the people who ported XB3D is weren’t part of Monolith Soft and then proceeded to take XB3D’s existence as proof that Monolith Soft can port over X. Meanwhile the person who made the claims about XBX being difficult and expensive to port is the head of Monolith Soft himself so I don’t know what you expect. Yes it is theoretically possible to port X over but Nintendo most likely doesn’t see the value in it. We don’t know how much X cost to make or how difficult it is to port over in a state that Nintendo would be happy with (considering that they seem to be unwilling to port over games without new content as their Wii U Deluxe releases show). All kinds of UI would need to be reworked for everything from readability to Gamepad functionality, online support would have to be revised, performance in handheld mode would have to avoid worsening the pop-in for playability etc. I’m not a programmer but the costs and difficulties could come from anywhere.

But why am I bothering to reply when you’re going to skip every second sentence of this post and respond with a dozen videos and articles that don’t answer anything pertinent to the topic at hand? I just don’t see any point in holding your breath for a revisit to X until the situation surrounding the game’s portability changes.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
the only ways i can see an x port being to expensive is if they want to rebalance the game: there is to much grinding post game for the best augments/skell parts, and all the high lv enemies you have to jump over rocks to sneak past in the early game story missions, or possibly reducing the completion % needed to progress the story. If they plan on adding a notable amount of new story content (there are a lot of lose story threads, just filling some of them out a little could help a lot) or if the music is not owned by them, so they have to pay to use it
According to this site:
the music is copyrighted by Monolith Soft and Nintendo.

I assume this hasn't changed as of August 2018 due to (non-remixed) tracks from Xenoblade X appearing in Xenoblade 2:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I’m not even sure the interview about X being too expensive to port is applicable today. The interview came out 2 years ago, which was when they were just wrapping up Torna and developing Xenoblade DE and a new Xenoblade game.

Now that Xenoblade DE is out and was a big success at 1.3 million games shipped, both Nintendo and MS are most likely going to consider their options regarding X.

The only reason I’m doubting an X port soon is because they just released Xenoblade DE and are working on a new Xenoblade project which seems to be on track for release in 2021. They already said they don’t want to take away focus on their next main project.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Simplistic answer: Monolith/Nintendo would want Monolith themselves in charge of an X port after Xenoblade 3DS didn't do too hot and Monolith has been busy as hell since the Switch period started.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I was referring to the next entry and whatever Torna-style DLC expansion it might have.

Basically what I’m saying is...

2020: Xenoblade DE
2021: New Xenoblade game
2022: New Xenoblade game DLC
2023: Either a gap year or X port
2024: X port if nothing in 2023

There are multiple signs that point to a new entry coming out fairly soon. Based on the information we have, I summarized the development timeline below.
Bold of you to assume it isn't Xeno Warriors

and for pursuing Id

Have you not learned from the experiences with Lu Bu yet? :troll:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Chuggaconroy gave an update for his “next big project” which some speculate to be Xenoblade X related:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Chuggaconroy gave an update for his “next big project” which some speculate to be Xenoblade X related:
I'm really curious to see how he will tackle X. It's not really a game that's conducive to let's plays... No two people are going to approach X the same way. If anyone can figure out how to make it work, it's Emile.

Also, another domino falls with that port of 3D World announced this morning. I'm willing to bet that X is coming to the Switch next year too. Even if it's the last Wii U game to be ported, it has to be making the jump sooner or later.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone see that source gaming vid where they discuss characters for the next DLC wave, and John from Gamexplain discusses Elma?

Calamitas

Smash Champion

a random user

Smash Journeyman
with 3d world coming the first party wii u games that are left are

no sequal
game&wario (built around the gamepad)
Nintiendoland (built around the gamepad)
kirby rainbow curse
zelda wind waker hd and twilight princess hd
star fox zero (hevily uses the gamepad)
xenoblade x

has a sequal on switch
mario maker
Splatoon
smash bros 4 wii U
yoshi's woolly world
paper mario color splash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
with 3d world coming the first party wii u games that are left are

no sequal
game&wario (built around the gamepad)
Nintiendoland (built around the gamepad)
kirby rainbow curse
zelda wind waker hd and twilight princess hd
star fox zero (hevily uses the gamepad)
xenoblade x

has a sequal on switch
mario maker
Splatoon
smash bros 4 wii U
yoshi's woolly world
paper mario color splash
you forgot Fatal Frame V

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I do wonder what their main holdup with porting Xenoblade X over is. I guess compared to most other Wii U ports, it didn't sell as much (Tropical Freeze: 1.72m, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, New SMB/Luigi: 8.45m, 5.84m, 5.80+3.05m) and it cost more to make (Captain Toad got ported twice, and it was essentially an expanded Mario 3D World minigame in the first place). So it might have to be measured against development costs of the original AND the costs of porting it. XBDE's sales probably adjusted their expectations but I don't think they'd have started work on a port just yet.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I do wonder what their main holdup with porting Xenoblade X over is. I guess compared to most other Wii U ports, it didn't sell as much (Tropical Freeze: 1.72m, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, New SMB/Luigi: 8.45m, 5.84m, 5.80+3.05m) and it cost more to make (Captain Toad got ported twice, and it was essentially an expanded Mario 3D World minigame in the first place). So it might have to be measured against development costs of the original AND the costs of porting it. XBDE's sales probably adjusted their expectations but I don't think they'd have started work on a port just yet.
Cost is indeed a factor, as they have already stated a couple years ago. However there has been other Xenoblade projects happening pretty much in a row with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then the Torna expansion, and this year we've got the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. Porting the game would somewhat cannibalize these other titles as well as get cannibalized itself since having too many Xeno games come out at once wouldn't be a good idea. Now unless Monolith's going to go straight into Xenoblade Chronicles 3, or the hypothetical X2, this leaves a pretty opportunistic opening for a port to happen in 2021 if they are indeed working on it. I'm sure they are aware of the demand for the game to come to the Switch and they have also expressed interest in bringing it to the Switch and seeing as Xenoblade as an IP is doing a lot better on this system it seems like a pretty good time to do so.

And considering we are still getting ports of Wii U games coming to the Switch; Pikmin 3 and SM3D World being announced quite recently, it bides well for Xenoblade to be on the table at least. If I remember correctly Wonderful 101 also didn't do so well on the Wii U but that game did get a port for the Switch so it's not like Nintendo is going to turn a blind eye to a game that sold poorly on a system they know didn't do well for them. Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't exactly the kind of game suited for the kind of players the Wii U was catered towards anyways.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I don’t think cost is an issue anymore, but rather timing is the main one. You have to consider other titles MS could be producing at the moment. MS have been working on a new Takahashi RPG since 2018, so that’s likely going to be the next Xenoblade game. I don’t think we’re going to get an X port before a new Xenoblade game. The smartest thing for Monolith Soft is to have an X port serve as a stopgap title between major Xenoblade games. That way, it keeps interest in the series while they develop a new game. It is exactly why they released Xenoblade DE.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Say, does anyone remember that one person who has to do with Monolith Soft who said that they'd stop retweeting Direct announcements and the like, because people always read something into it? Does anyone remember when exactly they said that? I want to make sure I have the right timeline for the events in my head.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel so bad for Soraya Saga, man. She always gets such rough treatment on social media. People were so cruel to her for her involvement in Xenosaga and it's sad to see how she's still hurting from all that. Funny that Saga is my favorite Xeno series and a lot of that is because of how her touch influenced the story and characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just a head's up, Chuggaconroy's next LP is Xenoblade 2. I know a lot of people were hoping for X, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be doing EVERYTHING 2 has to offer, so he'll inevitably get to the Elma DLC.
I still wish he would LP X first. It annoys me how so many people shove aside X or don't know that it exists

Staarih

Smash Master
Before you crucify Chugga, take a look at his replies to his twitter post. He was planning to do a LP of X but decided to cancel his plans due to variety of reasons.

Here is a link to the post:
Makes sense, X feels very likely to be ported to the Switch (at least to me, I dunno) so working on a LP now, dedicating a lot of time in it and have it come out when a potential (enhanced) port comes out could be frustrating. Wiser choice to go about it like this, and even if I wish X would get more attention, I'm super intrigued to watch his XC2 LP.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't really understand why you'd LP X on Wii U anyway considering theres probably going to be a Switch port.
What if there isn't a Switch port down the line hmm??? I'm not saying that we are not getting one, I'm just saying it's a slim possibility that could happen though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
At this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Monolith Soft just used this current opportunity to "finish" X instead of just porting it, in order to bring it in line with their original vision of the game before it had to be scaled back because Wii U.
But that's probably just wishful thinking. Knowing my luck, they'll probably be working on Xenoblade Chronicles 3, or some entirely new sub-series that's called something like "Xenoblade Chronicles Socks".

Before you crucify Chugga, take a look at his replies to his twitter post. He was planning to do a LP of X but decided to cancel his plans due to variety of reasons.

Here is a link to the post:
Nah, he has already revoked his right to kneecaps by playing 2.
Jokes aside, I'm gonna stay clear of his channel for the next couple of months, for the first time in my roughly ten years of watching him. Maybe I'll tune in for when he gets to the Challenge Mode and Elma and the Torna DLC, but that's a big maybe.

Top Bottom