• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I agree with that. DLC fighters, for three of them, brings new gameplay, and the other two brings a small gimmick (Banjo side special and Byleth bow).

I didn't want Byleth, and I'm meh toward them, but they have the benefit to break one more rule: the third party pass.

I'm conviced, for this second pass, we will have a mix of first and third party. However, on the first party part, as DLC and until now, we add 3 veterans coming back, a plant that was probably supposed to get into the base roster and only put in DLC because of time restraint, and 2 clear promotional picks. If the trend continues, first party DLC will be promotional picks too. But the recent games do not bring potential picks that I feasible easily and fairly in Smash (Howard, Spring-man) or that bring anything really new (Rex).

If they, instead, are going for "highly requested first party", I don't see a lot of them too. I don't see Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie bringing much to the table. Waluigi is a mixed bag (maybe if they are giving him "cheating" machanics). I'm certainly biased, but if there are first party newcomers, I see first and foremost Elma, Isaac, Advance Wars rep, Rhythm Heaven rep and Paper Mario coming in, in all cases if tied with a new unannounced game. All these five contenders can bring a gimmick:
  • Elma: weapon switching and skells
  • Isaac: elemental attunement and/or djinn management
  • Advance Wars: I don't really think of anything that can work to bring something "strategic" in Smash, but Fire Emblem cast got a counter to represent that. Sakurai would find something.
  • Rhythm Heaven: rhythm can mean precised inputs
  • Paper Mario: the "paper" thing is full of potential for gimmicks
I can definitely see Elma’s A-moves changing depending on what B-moves she uses. Or even Overdrive which gives a stat boost for a limited time

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Hello, lovely people. I'm kind of a refugee from the Geno thread because it got axed earlier today, but I'm here to throw in my support for Elma.

It's super weird to me that there isn't any real trace of Xenoblade X in Smash Ultimate whatsoever, so that's why I'm theorizing that she'll be FP11 in season 2. It makes perfect sense to me--they'll probably end the next pass with a wimper just like they did with Byleth, and I'm betting that as soon as the Xenoblade remaster is done, they're going to give X the same treatment, giving Nintendo another game to advertise.

Seriously! How is it that a game of this caliber, with an amazing soundtrack and amazing stage potential, almost completely absent? Only two spirits total? That's just absurd.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hello, lovely people. I'm kind of a refugee from the Geno thread because it got axed earlier today, but I'm here to throw in my support for Elma.

It's super weird to me that there isn't any real trace of Xenoblade X in Smash Ultimate whatsoever, so that's why I'm theorizing that she'll be FP11 in season 2. It makes perfect sense to me--they'll probably end the next pass with a wimper just like they did with Byleth, and I'm betting that as soon as the Xenoblade remaster is done, they're going to give X the same treatment, giving Nintendo another game to advertise.

Seriously! How is it that a game of this caliber, with an amazing soundtrack and amazing stage potential, almost completely absent? Only two spirits total? That's just absurd.
Five spirits as I mentioned in the DLC thread, not two, but there’s no X music and they’re all listed under OG Xenoblade while there’s a 2 category for Spirits so hopefully that amounts to something

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
If it’s not Elma, it’ll probably be the new fighting legendary Pokémon introduced in the DLC.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

I would kill for there to be a port or sequel for X in the pipeline after Definitive Edition launches. If so, Elma's a safe bet for FP2. The only thing I'm worried might hamper her chances is timing. I know relevancy isn't a big deal, but I think that Nintendo views its own properties a little differently from the third party choices. Recency and marketing for their new titles are absolutely motivators for them, like it or not. Granted, they've planned the DLC period to last two years, which gives them plenty of time to announce something X related. Hopefully, Elma isn't screwed the way Rex presumably was with the costume treatment.

At the very least, there should be a track or two added from X. I'm almost starting to wonder if someone on the Ultimate dev team just isn't a fan of Xenoblade music because the lack of additions or remixes on top of what was present in Smash 4 is baffling. I'll be honest, and this is probably going to be a hot take in this thread, but I'll throw it out there: I thought X's soundtrack was pretty hit or miss, especially compared to 1 and 2. Not trying to bash Sawano by any means, I'm actually a big fan of his work on Gundam Unicorn. It's just hard to top Mitsuda, Shimomura, and ACE+ for me. That being said, when X's soundtrack is good, it's very good. The Key We've Lost is the best final boss theme in Xenoblade, don't @ me. X has several songs that would suit Smash perfectly, and if Elma is just a costume, hopefully, she gets the Sans/Cuphead treatment and comes with music.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Five spirits as I mentioned in the DLC thread, not two, but there’s no X music and they’re all listed under OG Xenoblade while there’s a 2 category for Spirits so hopefully that amounts to something
Clearly, this means that Elma is gonna be the shill pick for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, seeing as everything X is listed as belonging to 1.

On a more serious note though, are these listings visible anywhere in-game? Because I've never seen them aside from that internal listing datamine.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Clearly, this means that Elma is gonna be the shill pick for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, seeing as everything X is listed as belonging to 1.

On a more serious note though, are these listings visible anywhere in-game? Because I've never seen them aside from that internal listing datamine.
Not that I know of?

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, if true Xeno X definitive could at least be announced at E3 and release in December or even sometime next year

Also
damn son Lao is an absolute s n a c c

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so I've been thinking

if we do get Nintendo characters this upcoming pass, they'll likely be promotional like Byleth was. Rex, Spring Man and Officer Howard couldn't make it because of their complex mechanics I still say, but characters with simpler mechanics, from remakes/remasters or can be made using another character as a base would be more likely.

Like Sylux, Fiora, Elma, Octoling, Black Shadow if a F-Zero GX HD remaster happens please are the ones I see happening easier. Maybe some BOTW2 character if they're not too complex. Sorry Bandana Dee ;-;

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Ok so I've been thinking

if we do get Nintendo characters this upcoming pass, they'll likely be promotional like Byleth was. Rex, Spring Man and Officer Howard couldn't make it because of their complex mechanics I still say, but characters with simpler mechanics, from remakes/remasters or can be made using another character as a base would be more likely.

Like Sylux, Fiora, Elma, Octoling, Black Shadow if a F-Zero GX HD remaster happens please are the ones I see happening easier. Maybe some BOTW2 character if they're not too complex. Sorry Bandana Dee ;-;
Anything F-Zero? Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

But, I'd be content if the only Nintendo characters we get are Elma and Octoling as an echo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anything F-Zero? Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

But, I'd be content if the only Nintendo characters we get are Elma and Octoling as an echo.
i have a feeling there's no echoes in this pass like last one, so Octoling could be at least a semi clone using weapons the Inklings don't like Chargers, Brellas, Dualies etc

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
i have a feeling there's no echoes in this pass like last one, so Octoling could be at least a semi clone using weapons the Inklings don't like Chargers, Brellas, Dualies etc
Man, I wish they'd do more with Echoes since they went out of their way to really hype them up as a concept for Ultimate. Either way, if they could give Octoling the Dr. Mario treatment, I'd be happy. Anything to get a stage based on the Octo Expansion is fine with me.

Also obligatory Elma for Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, I wish they'd do more with Echoes since they went out of their way to really hype them up as a concept for Ultimate. Either way, if they could give Octoling the Dr. Mario treatment, I'd be happy. Anything to get a stage based on the Octo Expansion is fine with me.

Also obligatory Elma for Smash.
And OE music with it!

just like Elma coming with a buttload of X music. Kinda think the glaring omission of X music while we have 2 music is intentional

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Ok so I've been thinking

That's also what I was thinking (but you already know that because you are one of the few who likes all my post on the speculation thread ). First party will be characters with promotional capability, with gameplay originality but at the same time not overly complex, who is bringing a new world and who is not from a spirit event that occurred during the first FP. Imo, the list is short : if first party there are, it's between a BOTW1/2 rep, Elma, and series that would get their first fighter tied with a new game, namely Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, etc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's also what I was thinking (but you already know that because you are one of the few who likes all my post on the speculation thread ). First party will be characters with promotional capability, with gameplay originality but at the same time not overly complex, who is bringing a new world and who is not from a spirit event that occurred during the first FP. Imo, the list is short : if first party there are, it's between a BOTW1/2 rep, Elma, and series that would get their first fighter tied with a new game, namely Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, etc.
Fiora could be to promote XCDE if Elma’s being saved for XCXDE. Octoling could be a slightly late promotion for Octo Expansion and they’re easier to make using Inkling as a base, echo or not.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I seriously don't think in Octoling chances, except if they don't have the ink gimmick at all, because that would be impossible to differenciate the ink colors in a match between an Inkling and an Octoling of the same color. And they won't add 8 more ink color, it's already hard enough for colorblinds.

I don't think in Fiora chance, it's an already existing world. And saying that makes me think that a character from BOTW would overlap with our new Link, so I'll decrease their chance too.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I seriously don't think in Octoling chances, except if they don't have the ink gimmick at all, because that would be impossible to differenciate the ink colors in a match between an Inkling and an Octoling of the same color. And they won't add 8 more ink color, it's already hard enough for colorblinds.

I don't think in Fiora chance, it's an already existing world. And saying that makes me think that a character from BOTW would overlap with our new Link, so I'll decrease their chance too.
I don’t think Sakurai’s new world comment was to be taken literally. Just that he wanted to add new people. Byleth is from the FE universe, after all.
For Octoling they can use two Octo Expansion palettes + 6 Splatfest colors like Chaos v. Order.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I don’t think Sakurai’s new world comment was to be taken literally. Just that he wanted to add new people.
Every time i hear people use this quote (or the one from Reggie at the game awards) and take it as say "that has to mean only franchises never in Smash before so most first-party-characters are out by default" or something...idk man it just annoys me.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Every time i hear people use this quote (or the one from Reggie at the game awards) and take it as say "that has to mean only franchises never in Smash before so most first-party-characters are out by default" or something...idk man it just annoys me.
And we got Byleth anyway, therefore being a first party franchise already in Smash.

side thought - I know Sakurai said the next fighter’s release would “take a while” but perhaps he could show a Joker style teaser next direct, and the full trailer when the character is ready to release?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Byleth was a promotional pick that came months after the game was out...

Xenoblade X Definitive/2 needs to happen soon so there can still be a chance for Elma. I know it’s possible.

She’s in.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
side thought - I know Sakurai said the next fighter’s release would “take a while” but perhaps he could show a Joker style teaser next direct, and the full trailer when the character is ready to release?
That's what im hoping for (and a part of me even expects it a little).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's just hope there aren't any other video game characters who just so happen to be named "Elma"...
The only other Elma I can think of is Final Fantasy X’s Elma which, her Spirit isn’t getting added lmao

and there’s one other Elma I know but she’s from an anime: Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid so nooooo way in hell are we seeing THAT Elma

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah I know, Sabi, but this isn’t Smash related (directly)

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This corroborates Emily Rogers’s More Wii U Games Coming to Switch statement... I REALLY hope one of them is Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition... our time is soon I can feel it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If this character being based off Bayonetta is true I'd bet on it being our girl or 2B. Be down for 2B as well but much would prefer Elma. Come on Elma! Please be true!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, Elma’s Spirit Board battle uses Bayonetta to represent her. This cannot be coincidence...

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/465652719047278614/673364668621914122/unknown.png
https://twitter.com/CaptainZack_/status/1222607603458547715

Rie wanted me to post these here because she can't double post of course. If this does mean anything like a female character being based off Bayo then perhaps Elma could be a candidate.
Well, this definitely interesting.

Also, Elma’s Spirit Board battle uses Bayonetta to represent her. This cannot be coincidence...
Did Elma have a spirit-battle? Or was it among the unused ones that some dataminers found a while ago?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, this definitely interesting.

Did Elma have a spirit-battle? Or was it among the unused ones that some dataminers found a while ago?
Her Spirit Board is only unlocked after her initial Spirit unlock (Free 50 fighters in WoL). Notably, there is no Xenoblade X music for her or any other X spirit

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yes! Yes! All evidence seems to be leaning in her favor.

Plus know how Sakurai stated he wanted to include Rex but couldn't? Maybe adding Elma is his way of fulfilling his wish of adding an Xenoblade rep and others who wanted one.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Holy hell, I haven't added my support for Elma already?
We must remedy that for one of my most wanted 1st parties!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Don't really have much to add to what has already been said, but speaking of Elma's spirit - has anyone ever actually seen her spirit appear on the board for themselves? After getting the WOL one, I mean. I've been wanting more of that essentially since the game came out, but I've never seen it pop up on the Spirit Board. I doubt that it can't appear, since I know that Spirits that you owned before have a higher chance of it appearing, but I don't wanna dismiss mine just to see this.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Don't really have much to add to what has already been said, but speaking of Elma's spirit - has anyone ever actually seen her spirit appear on the board for themselves? After getting the WOL one, I mean. I've been wanting more of that essentially since the game came out, but I've never seen it pop up on the Spirit Board. I doubt that it can't appear, since I know that Spirits that you owned before have a higher chance of it appearing, but I don't wanna dismiss mine just to see this.
Yeah, it's shown up a couple of times for me before.

Top Bottom