• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST.

that’s right, now Capcom as a whole is out of the running for FP5 as well.

Nintendo intensifies

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question for Fire Emblem Awakening fans in here. Is Elma the Kellam of Smash speculation?
I think you made a typo when writing your post - there's nothing between "Is Elma the" and "of Smash speculation", so the sentence doesn't really make sense.

I think the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X was exclusive to the Wii U probably hurt Elma's chances when it comes to being brought up for Smash speculation, because approximately twelve people (myself included) owned that console. If they ported it to the Switch, that would be another story; I feel like people overreact when it comes to thinking that Switch ports increase a character's potential to be in Smash (though admittedly, I'm guilty of that mindset from time to time), but at least it would mean that more people could play the game.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Question for Fire Emblem Awakening fans in here. Is Elma the Kellam of Smash speculation?
Elma is discussed a lot in the speculation thread, she is not Kellam. Her problem is that Rex got praised by Sakurai, so she is overshadowed. Add the fact that XCX was on Wii U, thus not as renown as XC2, and she is in her actual state, something close to Isaac: she has a lot of things to her, a strong dedicated fanbase, but she's quite, and often only supported by people who know her (unlike Dixie, BWD, or some others).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma is discussed a lot in the speculation thread, she is not Kellam. Her problem is that Rex got praised by Sakurai, so she is overshadowed. Add the fact that XCX was on Wii U, thus not as renown as XC2, and she is in her actual state, something close to Isaac: she has a lot of things to her, a strong dedicated fanbase, but she's quite, and often only supported by people who know her (unlike Dixie, BWD, or some others).
What do you mean by “in her actual state”?

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
I think you made a typo when writing your post - there's nothing between "Is Elma the" and "of Smash speculation", so the sentence doesn't really make sense.

I think the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X was exclusive to the Wii U probably hurt Elma's chances when it comes to being brought up for Smash speculation, because approximately twelve people (myself included) owned that console. If they ported it to the Switch, that would be another story; I feel like people overreact when it comes to thinking that Switch ports increase a character's potential to be in Smash (though admittedly, I'm guilty of that mindset from time to time), but at least it would mean that more people could play the game.
It is strange considering they added the Splatoon Inklings and instead have Splatoon 2 as Mii Costumes.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a Nintendo game of a Nintendo crossover that was developed, published, funded, advertised, by Nintendo with the DLC picked by Nintendo.
© 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/05/nintendo-more-smash-bros-ultimate-fighters/

Nintendo: “We felt that the Xenoblade X launch trailer should have a spoiler warning in the description later on. As well as the famous Elma should get her own reveal trailer for Xenoblade 2. It is a game that was released on the highly popular Nintendo Switch and even more people will know about her. We even had her original voice actress return to reprise her role despite not being based in England. Hence why voice actors of KOS-MOS, T-Elos, and Tatsu were replaced."
"This trailer contains scenes that could be considered spoilers. Xenoblade Chronicles X arrives on 4th December on Wii U!"

Elma herself appears on some polls of most wanted characters

They would only look at whatever is "realizable" to them if characters like Bayonetta is anything to go by.

It's not. They omitted some characters from it in follow-ups.

"It should also be noted that we chose to omit the following Fighters: -Those who did not originate in a Video Game -Those who are already present as Assist Trophy fighters -Fighters who did not receive at least 25 votes. In total, these Fighters made up roughly 35% of the votes" 34% were Shrek votes and the 20% were Spongebob votes
"Here are a few tidbits about the data: -The total number of votes received in this ballot is 22,619. -Of the total amount of votes, there were only 85 characters whose votes received over 25 votes. -These 85 characters make up 14,719 out of the 22,619 votes. "

Yeah, this is the results of the Reddit Poll:

But now we know who was picked from that poll so whatever placement you positioned doesn't necessarily matter to your potential inclusion into Super Smash Bros:

From Dec 2016

At the same time, I’d like to make one thing very clear: sales aren’t everything! I think it’s perfectly sensible to select your target audience and create a game that will drive them wild. If nothing else, that particular group will love it.
However, if you’re going to make a game, it’s also only natural to want to have as many people play it as possible.
There’s no inherent divide, though. It doesn’t matter whether we’re in Japan or anywhere else in the world. Our goal as developers is the same: we want players to enjoy our games.
It all depends on the next project I undertake, but I’ve already proven Japanese games can resonate with the rest of the world, and I’d like to continue doing so in whatever way I can.
Thankfully, Smash was a game that ended up supporting a lot of other games. It’s been proven that including a character as a fighter generates publicity for said character and their respective series. I’m very pleased that Smash can positively promote other titles. - Sakurai​
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/12/16/the-substantial-barrier-of-aaa-games-sakurai-col-514/
Sakurai has also stated “It’s more important for the Character to be fun to play, than it is for them to be recognized” (A.K.A., popularity and sales is a joke of an Asterix of how I pick characters -Sakurai).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The fact that I'm living in a timeline where it feels like so many of my big wants, even Elma, could be coming, is incredible.

Elma gang forever!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST.

that’s right, now Capcom as a whole is out of the running for FP5 as well.

Nintendo intensifies
A Nintendo rep is coming guys I told you.

Edit: Woah! I didn't realize Porky was so popular over there. Him placing 7th place on that Japanese Ballot.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that Capcom is not out of the running. Verge has said nothing, Sabi is consistently saying to be careful with what the Ambassador said and has not corroborated it with their primary source. Elma would be the craziest surprise ever, but it doesn't mean she's super plausible suddenly. But...maybe.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
What do you mean by “in her actual state”?
I see her as average to low chance in the grand scheme of first party. It really depends on what Sakurai will focus on:
  • The old guard of requested characters like Waluigi or Isaac?
  • Characters for unrepresented series like Rythm Heaven or Andy (or Isaac too)?
  • New series like Astral Chain?
  • More newer characters to existing series like Byleth or Pokémon SwSh?
  • More older characters to existing series like Elma, BWD or Dixie?
Time will tell, but my guts think the last point is the least likely to happen, and, moreover, it just happens to be the more crowded.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

So GameXplain is doing a “Top 100 Women Who Should Be In Smash” video, and part one dropped today with the next half coming tomorrow.

Elma hasn’t been seen yet so hopefully she’ll rank pretty high! Only notable character for this thread is our fellow Xenogal Nia featured. It’s a neat little video that doesn’t mean all too much in the grand scheme but it might help our girl gain some support if she’s mentioned!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

So GameXplain is doing a “Top 100 Women Who Should Be In Smash” video, and part one dropped today with the next half coming tomorrow.

Elma hasn’t been seen yet so hopefully she’ll rank pretty high! Only notable character for this thread is our fellow Xenogal Nia featured. It’s a neat little video that doesn’t mean all too much in the grand scheme but it might help our girl gain some support if she’s mentioned!
It's nice that their doing this, though for some reason I feel like they're acting like we HAVE to have a female character as DLC. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Smash has a problem with female representation (or lack thereof), but it's not exactly a requirement to have one. Plus, they only say the bare minimum about the character in question, and don't do a very good job selling them. Granted, this is 100 characters we're talking about, so it's understandable.

EDIT: Before someone inevitably gets the wrong idea, I'm not against more females in Smash. Quite the opposite, in fact. However, I don't like how people are insisting that it has to happen. It limits discussion topics, in the same way as believing first-parties are off the table. I want to be able to talk about who could get into Smash, not who would be good to fill a quota.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
question yall

would Elma mesh well against an orange background in your opinion, if Color Theory is true?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's nice that their doing this, though for some reason I feel like they're acting like we HAVE to have a female character as DLC. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Smash has a problem with female representation (or lack thereof), but it's not exactly a requirement to have one. Plus, they only say the bare minimum about the character in question, and don't do a very good job selling them. Granted, this is 100 characters we're talking about, so it's understandable.

EDIT: Before someone inevitably gets the wrong idea, I'm not against more females in Smash. Quite the opposite, in fact. However, I don't like how people are insisting that it has to happen. It limits discussion topics, in the same way as believing first-parties are off the table. I want to be able to talk about who could get into Smash, not who would be good to fill a quota.
I haven't watched the video yet, but at the very least, it adds a wide variety of characters to the discussion as opposed to the commonly discussed characters like Geno, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, etc., and it can hopefully introduce viewers to certain characters, or make them consider DLC options that they might not have thought of otherwise.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
question yall

would Elma mesh well against an orange background in your opinion, if Color Theory is true?
The Color Theory

First we take Elma
1575679367475.png
1575679402996.png

then with my flawless terrible Photoshop skills, we use the Eyedropper Tool and pick up the color on Elma's person and apply it to the background.
1575679940974.png
1575679891126.png
1575679863838.png

Looks fine to me.

Attachments

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The Color Theory

First we take Elma
View attachment 250595
View attachment 250596
then with my flawless terrible Photoshop skills, we use the Eyedropper Tool and pick up the color on Elma's person and apply it to the background.
View attachment 250609View attachment 250607 View attachment 250605
Looks fine to me.
Hmm...XB2 doesn't exactly match, but the OG one...

It checks out, chief. You can just see that the outfit she's wearing is definitely orange. This might be out chance, bois!

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman

Honestly if Lara Croft isn't number 1 this whole concept is a huge joke.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Everyone remember which divine entity to thank (or apologize to) if it ever turns out this wasn't B A I T:

2018082503384400-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898.jpg

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Then WHO IS IT?!?!

wait, he didn’t say it wasn’t a Namco character which contradicts what he said earlier...
That's because this new list doesn't include any of his previous deconfirmations. Those all still stand.

And honestly, if this is really true. . . then I'm honestly once again at a point where I have zero hope of Elma making it in. Maybe as the first post-pass character, but that's a big maybe, since I've heard some rumors about the decision for more DLC being made around this year's E3. If that's the case, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got ignored again, and Sakurai just goes straight to Brexit and Pyrrha, because that game totally needs more attention.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's because this new list doesn't include any of his previous deconfirmations. Those all still stand.

And honestly, if this is really true. . . then I'm honestly once again at a point where I have zero hope of Elma making it in. Maybe as the first post-pass character, but that's a big maybe, since I've heard some rumors about the decision for more DLC being made around this year's E3. If that's the case, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got ignored again, and Sakurai just goes straight to Brexit and Pyrrha, because that game totally needs more attention.
If we didn’t get Spring Man who became an Assist Trophy instead, there’s no way we’re getting Rex, from my understanding. Like Chrom in 4, I suppose he’ll get his chance another day...

Which can only mean good things for Elma

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If we didn’t get Spring Man who became an Assist Trophy instead, there’s no way we’re getting Rex, from my understanding. Like Chrom in 4, I suppose he’ll get his chance another day...

Which can only mean good things for Elma
I'm sorry, but you can't support spirit upgrades and then claim that Rex isn't happening...

I doubt that Mii costume is seriously holding him back if upgrades are a thing in the future. You guys are passionate about Elma making it in, I get that (I'd love to see her too even if she's on the lower end of my most wanted Xeno reps), but you can't believe in upgrades and then claim it doesn't support a character just because you don't particularly want them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm sorry, but you can't support spirit upgrades and then claim that Rex isn't happening...

I doubt that Mii costume is seriously holding him back if upgrades are a thing in the future. You guys are passionate about Elma making it in, I get that (I'd love to see her too even if she's on the lower end of my most wanted Xeno reps), but you can't believe in upgrades and then claim it doesn't support a character just because you don't particularly want them.
I mean, I’m probably one of the few ppl here that DOESN’T hate Rex, but having his Mii Costume be paid DLC doesn’t exactly bode well for him imo

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I mean, I’m probably one of the few ppl here that DOESN’T hate Rex, but having his Mii Costume be paid DLC doesn’t exactly bode well for him imo
...It's just a bonus costume attached to a pass that most people probably bought to save a little money on the DLC fighters.

I doubt that people would be furious if their free Mii costume was upgraded to a playable character for post-pass.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
TWO days...I was away for two days and hell starts to break lose.

Y'know at this point i wouldn't even be surprised if No. 5 is Goku or James Bond. Who is this character?!

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I like Rex too. I just want to see more Xenoblade representation

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Vergeben categorized Blizzard as separate from Activision despite the former being owned by the latter so I would not count out HAL Laboratory, Pokémon/Game Freak/Creatures, Shigesato Itoi/APE/Mother/Earthbound, Intelligent Systems, Monolith Soft, SNK, Atlus, Platinum Games, etc.
Vergeben is still looking into those.
That's nice and all, but his source also mentioned no Spirit upgrades. The only way I can still see things turn out in our favour is if 1) those developers turn out to not be out after all and 2) if the source somehow didn't count Elma as a Spirit because of the oddities surrounding it. Either way, my faith is low.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So Elma got number 22, humm.
22 is pretty good all things considered. I think the picks after Elma all were pretty deserving so I’m not too upset. Although Pyra/Mythra at 5? When Melia didn’t even make the list? Sorry but that’s a no from me. Also Pauline isn’t material for first place imo. She still deserves a spot, but over Lara Croft and Chun Li? Probably not.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
22 is pretty good all things considered. I think the picks after Elma all were pretty deserving so I’m not too upset. Although Pyra/Mythra at 5? When Melia didn’t even make the list? Sorry but that’s a no from me. Also Pauline isn’t material for first place imo. She still deserves a spot, but over Lara Croft and Chun Li? Probably not.
Wait, I thought everyone agreed Pyra/Mythra couldn't work without Rex. Did they at least address that?

EDIT: Okay, they did kinda address Rex, but due to the nature of the video, they didn't do a very good job selling the idea. I'm starting to think this should've been a Top 20...

Last edited:
Top Bottom