• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They both together would indeed be great. I am not against Rex as long as Elma is in too. Rex alone though would be a really bad scenario, that I hope will not happen. I haven't got much luck with the things I hope, though.
In a perfect world we would have Elma, Rex & Pyra, and KOS-MOS all in the roster. Xenoblade/saga representation would be perfect. :awesome:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In a perfect world we would have Elma, Rex & Pyra, and KOS-MOS all in the roster. Xenoblade/saga representation would be perfect. :awesome:
That would be awesome, and having Mecha-Fiora, Zeke THE ZEKENATOR and T-elos on top of that would be the cherry on top but I doubt they’d go that far ;-;

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A rep from each game plus KOS-MOS would be great. Obviously not guaranteed but god it would be cool. I'm not a Rex fan and would much prefer Addam/Mythra or Lora/Jin to rep 2 but Elma being in would soften that particular blow.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey, today was the day that that 4chan leak said we'd get that female character revealed, right? It's obviously fake by now, but I do wonder whether that poster had anyone specific in mind for that, or if they just wanted to fuel the general rumblings about a female character coming.

And somewhat related (I think), I had my third overall dream about Elma getting revealed for Ultimate. Considering how rarely I dream about video games, that's honestly quite astonishing - even if waking up means that I just get disappointed again. This particular instance was mostly about the pre-release period, when things ended up in a state similar to that SNK leak.
Really starting to wonder just how many of these I'm gonna get before DLC wraps up for this game. . .

Sigh... Honestly, I wish we could just get both Elma and Rex & Pyra to please everyone.
Elma making it in first would literally be the only thing that could soften the blow of Rex making it in for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, today was the day that that 4chan leak said we'd get that female character revealed, right? It's obviously fake by now, but I do wonder whether that poster had anyone specific in mind for that, or if they just wanted to fuel the general rumblings about a female character coming.

And somewhat related (I think), I had my third overall dream about Elma getting revealed for Ultimate. Considering how rarely I dream about video games, that's honestly quite astonishing - even if waking up means that I just get disappointed again. This particular instance was mostly about the pre-release period, when things ended up in a state similar to that SNK leak.
Really starting to wonder just how many of these I'm gonna get before DLC wraps up for this game. . .

Elma making it in first would literally be the only thing that could soften the blow of Rex making it in for me.
THAT leak is fake, but I’ll be keeping my eye on Milk 2.0, who in fact says the female character is actually FP5. And apparently FP5 “already appeared”

So at this point I can think of three females who have a projectile whose publishers are already present: Elma, KOS-MOS and 2B.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this rate since every newcomer in the pass has a logo for a third party franchise my money for FP5 is on KOS-MOS

so Elma would PROBABLY be post pass. I do at least hope post pass characters come with a stage and music...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
At this rate since every newcomer in the pass has a logo for a third party franchise my money for FP5 is on KOS-MOS

so Elma would PROBABLY be post pass. I do at least hope post pass characters come with a stage and music...
You mean these "Smash Bros. x [Series Name/Company Name]" things? Which, let's remember, also happen for Mii costumes of Nintendo franchises?

The Game Awards are set for December 12th. Now its just a matter of waiting for that last fighter.
It'd honestly seem a bit too predictable to me if they announced FP5 there as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think we will get a Smash Direct in November that will show off Terry's gameplay mechanics, his stage, Mii costumes, ect and fighter #5 as well as the first DLC character outside of the Season Pass.

The reason I think this is because Banjo & Kazooie came out before the Fall deadline and Sakurai has said the development team is way ahead of schedule. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprise for us to get a Smash Direct in November when Terry drops.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The reason I think this is because Banjo & Kazooie came out before the Fall deadline and Sakurai has said the development team is way ahead of schedule. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprise for us to get a Smash Direct in November when Terry drops.
Wait, when did they mention that about the schedule?

Limitbreakfull

Smash Rookie
You mean these "Smash Bros. x [Series Name/Company Name]" things? Which, let's remember, also happen for Mii costumes of Nintendo franchises?

It'd honestly seem a bit too predictable to me if they announced FP5 there as well.
Hey the early the better :) However the timing would coincide with any awards they win this year. Also...Im kinda hoping a theory I've had comes true if it is indeed Elma.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This has been known for several months now. The question now is whether it's still up-to-date after all the updates the game has received.
So we got:

1. Xenoblade X's title not being in the game's files.

2. No Xenoblade X music in the game.

3. Elma's voice actress doing a voice over for a game in which she hasn't announced which it is.

Yep, I'm totally convenience if a Spirit character get's into the DLC lineup, it will be Elma.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Is that still up-to-date, though?

This has been known for several months now. The question now is whether it's still up-to-date after all the updates the game has received.
There are no known reports that anything "unused" changed on the titles list such as The Cutting Room Floor haven't mentioned anything new.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So we got:

1. Xenoblade X's title not being in the game's files.

2. No Xenoblade X music in the game.

3. Elma's voice actress doing a voice over for a game in which she hasn't announced which it is.

Yep, I'm totally convenience if a Spirit character get's into the DLC lineup, it will be Elma.
I mean, that's we've been saying in this thread for the past nine months now. Not like most people outside of this place really care, though. Or try to find ways to dismiss that all anyway.

There are no known reports that anything "unused" changed on the titles list such as The Cutting Room Floor haven't mentioned anything new.
Mh, but the series listing is still just the version from version 1.0. It'd probably be helpful if someone could ask a dataminer for a more current version. . .

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Man... I've seen people saying they care even less about playing X due to the remake of Xenoblade 1 and how they are convinced that they only care about the numbered Xenoblade games despite never giving X a shot. It's disappointing. I'm guessing something like 75+% of "Xenoblade" fans want Xenoblade Chronicles 3 over a port of X or XCX2. I'll be honest, I haven't lost any respect for Tetsuya Takahashi yet, but if he goes for XC3 before anything else XCX related, I will.

The rumor that the last Fighter Pass character will be a female who's already appeared in the game is encouraging...but I can't get my hopes up too high. If it's not Elma, then I think we can safely assume Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project, Caitlin Glass' NDA role, and the other things we thought might be related to Elma being in Smash are not. (...I'll simply hope for the best regarding X's future.)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Xeno fans are fickle like that. For the longest time they hated Blade 1 because it 'sold out' on what made Gears and Saga great. Now with the remake and 2 people are pretending XB1 was always well received as a Xeno game when it wasn't. Too many people care about how 'well' they meet up with their expectations of what Xeno is rather than how good they are on their own terms. Personally I love Gears and X, don't mind 1 or Torna and don't care about Saga or 2.

People will come around when X gets lazily shoehorned into the canon just as 1 and 2 were ductaped and stapled together with retcons and poor writing. "Wow, Mira was a living titan all along??? wtf I love X now...."

edit: Here's an article from around XB1's time that shows there was negative backlash about the Xeno name being used.
https://betweenlifeandgames.com/analyses/history-xenogears-xenosaga-part-4-monolith-soft-nintendo/

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm one of those salty ****ers who is unhappy with them stapling the Xeno name to Blade 1 and especially 2. X is cool because it is pretty clearly tied to Saga (my favorite) at least thematically, even if it doesn't quite hit those same highs.

Torna is cool, though. Still wish they had just called X Xenocross or something.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Man... I've seen people saying they care even less about playing X due to the remake of Xenoblade 1 and how they are convinced that they only care about the numbered Xenoblade games despite never giving X a shot. It's disappointing. I'm guessing something like 75+% of "Xenoblade" fans want Xenoblade Chronicles 3 over a port of X or XCX2. I'll be honest, I haven't lost any respect for Tetsuya Takahashi yet, but if he goes for XC3 before anything else XCX related, I will.

The rumor that the last Fighter Pass character will be a female who's already appeared in the game is encouraging...but I can't get my hopes up too high. If it's not Elma, then I think we can safely assume Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project, Caitlin Glass' NDA role, and the other things we thought might be related to Elma being in Smash are not. (...I'll simply hope for the best regarding X's future.)
I guess that's an opinion some people have.. but I can't say I've overwhelmingly run across people that are like that. Maybe that environment is just oddly unfavorable to XCX. XCX is still well loved all over the place and plenty of people still want to see it on Switch.

I think for many xeno fans that are like "fans of all the games", like myself... the XC1 remake deadens the blow of having to wait on more XCX or an XCX sequel cuz "at least it's more xenoblade, right?". But for the pure XCX fans, or least those that are just ready for more XCX-like stuff first.. it takes the sense of urgency out of the larger fanbase, and it's disconcerting to them. To see many other people more content. And they're left thinking, "does this mean I have to wait for XC1 to finish and come out before they even start on an XCX port/sequel!?". And for those folks, as some of us here are.. yeah, that's a bummer. But just because it's a potentially longer wait than we'd hoped doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening, or that the demand has been forgotten. It's just painful to have to keep waiting.. i know. Perhaps some of the "hate" is just mean people targeting frustrated XCX fans. Maybe they don't care one way or the other.

Honestly, those that don't like XCX are a rare sight in my experience. There seems to be a lot more people proportionately that don't like XC2, or maybe just the idea of it.. which is always a little sad for me cuz I love them all and I want everyone to love them all. I'd even say I see more people that dislike XC1 than I've seen dislike XCX. Many of these people may not be fans at all of the series as a whole tho. XCX tho, I'd say there's far more that are simply ignorant about it or have no opinion, rather than actually dislike it. Maybe they're more recent fans or just skipped XCX.. or are simply unaware of the game altogether. I can't say XCX generated much controversy or memes in it's time, comparatively either. Not sure if it's better to have a slice of infamy or to have none at all, for exposure purposes. XCX could use more exposure perhaps but I don't want to see it get hate either. That said, it just doesn't quite seem to have as much stuff in it to be mad about I guess? Course, people will always find a reason to complain about stuff so I shouldn't assume, heh. Worst I've seen is just people not liking the art style (which is totally subjective and easy to get used to imo) or complaining about some meme thing like the boob slider being pulled from localization.

In any case, XCX did actually great on Wii U and if Shin Megami Tensi can get a port with extra features I think we can at least expect that from XCX eventually.. tho I'd be okay waiting longer if it meant more extra content and a truer remake. Port feels like a safer guess tho. Worst case scenario it gets forgotten entirely of course, but that also seems unlikely to me. Monolith is monstrous enough now they could be working on that port right now as they do XC1 remake too. The resources required for at least a port aren't that insurmountable for a company now as big as Monolith is. And then there's always that odd chance that they outsource the project. Nintendo could have a different company "fitting" XCX for the switch.. tho I doubt Monolith wouldn't be at least a little involved.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I guess that's an opinion some people have.. but I can't say I've overwhelmingly run across people that are like that. Maybe that environment is just oddly unfavorable to XCX. XCX is still well loved all over the place and plenty of people still want to see it on Switch.

I think for many xeno fans that are like "fans of all the games", like myself... the XC1 remake deadens the blow of having to wait on more XCX or an XCX sequel cuz "at least it's more xenoblade, right?". But for the pure XCX fans, or least those that are just ready for more XCX-like stuff first.. it takes the sense of urgency out of the larger fanbase, and it's disconcerting to them. To see many other people more content. And they're left thinking, "does this mean I have to wait for XC1 to finish and come out before they even start on an XCX port/sequel!?". And for those folks, as some of us here are.. yeah, that's a bummer. But just because it's a potentially longer wait than we'd hoped doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening, or that the demand has been forgotten. It's just painful to have to keep waiting.. i know. Perhaps some of the "hate" is just mean people targeting frustrated XCX fans. Maybe they don't care one way or the other.

Honestly, those that don't like XCX are a rare sight in my experience. There seems to be a lot more people proportionately that don't like XC2, or maybe just the idea of it.. which is always a little sad for me cuz I love them all and I want everyone to love them all. I'd even say I see more people that dislike XC1 than I've seen dislike XCX. Many of these people may not be fans at all of the series as a whole tho. XCX tho, I'd say there's far more that are simply ignorant about it or have no opinion, rather than actually dislike it. Maybe they're more recent fans or just skipped XCX.. or are simply unaware of the game altogether. I can't say XCX generated much controversy or memes in it's time, comparatively either. Not sure if it's better to have a slice of infamy or to have none at all, for exposure purposes. XCX could use more exposure perhaps but I don't want to see it get hate either. That said, it just doesn't quite seem to have as much stuff in it to be mad about I guess? Course, people will always find a reason to complain about stuff so I shouldn't assume, heh. Worst I've seen is just people not liking the art style (which is totally subjective and easy to get used to imo) or complaining about some meme thing like the boob slider being pulled from localization.

In any case, XCX did actually great on Wii U and if Shin Megami Tensi can get a port with extra features I think we can at least expect that from XCX eventually.. tho I'd be okay waiting longer if it meant more extra content and a truer remake. Port feels like a safer guess tho. Worst case scenario it gets forgotten entirely of course, but that also seems unlikely to me. Monolith is monstrous enough now they could be working on that port right now as they do XC1 remake too. The resources required for at least a port aren't that insurmountable for a company now as big as Monolith is. And then there's always that odd chance that they outsource the project. Nintendo could have a different company "fitting" XCX for the switch.. tho I doubt Monolith wouldn't be at least a little involved.
I guess this is what happens when a company makes games that are sort of related but have vastly different strengths and weaknesses. Many of the XC1 fans went into X wanting it to be quite similar, getting upset when they found out it contained rap/hip-hop and the (main) story wasn't as developed. I actually like all the Xenoblade games too because of how they each offer something different. I'm just very eager to go back to a game like XCX after playing XC2, Torna, and now XC1 again...

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I guess this is what happens when a company makes games that are sort of related but have vastly different strengths and weaknesses. Many of the XC1 fans went into X wanting it to be quite similar, getting upset when they found out it contained rap/hip-hop and the (main) story wasn't as developed. I actually like all the Xenoblade games too because of how they each offer something different. I'm just very eager to go back to a game like XCX after playing XC2, Torna, and now XC1 again...
I would bet on some version of XCX being next tbh. I know nothing is for sure.. but that does feel like a reasonable assumption. XC2, Torna, and now XC1 remake... they're different enough to not have scratched that XCX itch. XC2 is still fresh, and the stuff since has been more related to it. I think a trip back into XCX like territory is due. It may not exactly be XCX. It maybe pull some things from the games that have/will release since. But I'd bet on the setting being XCX like. I think the port sneaks in at some point.. but the next main game is probably at least closer to XCX than XC1 or XC2.. tho it may also be something of an in between. There's really no way to know and the series isn't old enough to assume patterns. Takahashi hasn't forgotten X tho.. and its port, and/or sequel, and/or game loosely tied to it in the XC1 to XC2 sense will come out eventually.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I would bet on some version of XCX being next tbh. I know nothing is for sure.. but that does feel like a reasonable assumption. XC2, Torna, and now XC1 remake... they're different enough to not have scratched that XCX itch. XC2 is still fresh, and the stuff since has been more related to it. I think a trip back into XCX like territory is due. It may not exactly be XCX. It maybe pull some things from the games that have/will release since. But I'd bet on the setting being XCX like. I think the port sneaks in at some point.. but the next main game is probably at least closer to XCX than XC1 or XC2.. tho it may also be something of an in between. There's really no way to know and the series isn't old enough to assume patterns. Takahashi hasn't forgotten X tho.. and its port, and/or sequel, and/or game loosely tied to it in the XC1 to XC2 sense will come out eventually.
If I had to make any kind of guess as to why we aren't getting the port yet, it's because Nintendo might be afraid that there might be some undercutting going on between it, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. As in, the former two for the general feel and aesthetic, and the latter for being a big RPG. Of course, none of these are a complete match, but they might see some overlap there. There's always next Direct.
I keep saying, Direct after Direct with nothing. . .

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Enough people thought Astral Chain or Daemon x Machina were X related after all. If they did have an X port ready (which I don’t think they do) I could see them delaying it until it gets more time to itself. We got a few big games in the past month and we’re getting a few more so they’re a bit over saturated.

I still wonder exactly what Takahashi meant when he said it’d be too expensive to ‘recreate X’. Did they already test bringing it over and the potential bugs or hardware slowdowns were too much? Was it something to do sit all the systems they’d have to rework (moving the online play to Nintendo Switch Online, making a ‘new’ Miiverse just for it, etc)? It’s clear the interviewer was talking about a port to a DE style rerelease seems unlikely.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We're not likely going to see an X port (if it's happening at all) at least until 2021, since XCDE is being released sometime next year. So after this game has it's time on the market then we'll see if X will get ported or get it's sequel, but we'll have to see what happens.

Monolith are also working on that fantasy IP as well, if I'm not mistaken either?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The fantasy IP is likely a different studio. Their recruitment page has 3 projects iirc: the fantasy game, a Zelda game and a “Division 1”/Takahashi game.

I don’t think the XB1 remake would be any of those but it’s not like they’d release two Xeno games in one year anyways.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Funny that one Facebook page that was for Xenoblade 2, now is called "Xenoblade Chronicles Universe (1&2)". Literally like that.

Or that meme using that two and a half man template, where X is jake, who was forgotten because he is not important.

I knew **** like this was going to happen. Well done Monolith.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Funny that one Facebook page that was for Xenoblade 2, now is called "Xenoblade Chronicles Universe (1&2)". Literally like that.

Or that meme using that two and a half man template, where X is jake, who was forgotten because he is not important.

Patience... X’s time will come. I can feel it

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

No need to worry. Monolith has made it quite clear they haven't forgotten about Elma and X given her involvement in the XC2 DLC. Even mentioned that 'they' wanted to see Elma, Rex, and Shulk in the same place, which to me is Monolith acknowledging her popularity, amoung the other protags, within the fanbase.

Right now they are building off of the momentum generated from XC2's success being the best selling game of the series so far. With interest the Switch is a platform for fans of the game to get to play the first game which is more directly associated with XC2 instead of XCX.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
No need to worry. Monolith has made it quite clear they haven't forgotten about Elma and X given her involvement in the XC2 DLC. Even mentioned that 'they' wanted to see Elma, Rex, and Shulk in the same place, which to me is Monolith acknowledging her popularity, amoung the other protags, within the fanbase.

Right now they are building off of the momentum generated from XC2's success being the best selling game of the series so far. With interest the Switch is a platform for fans of the game to get to play the first game which is more directly associated with XC2 instead of XCX.
Correction: The line by the Nopon Archsage was that "they", or rather, "everyone", wants to see Shulk and Elma in the same place together. There was no mention of Rex.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There’s speculation that Kunihiko Tanaka (Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade X character artist, ie they designed Elma) won’t be returning to illustrate for any future Xeno games based on their comments in the XB2 art book, on their blog and on the Kosmos figure illustration...

On one hand I’ll be sad to not see their designs in future Xeno games but... between XBDE all but confirming there’ll be no X news before 2021 at the latest and the fact that Tanaka won’t be designing for it makes me feel like I could drop the whole series and not miss out on anything. By the time anything X related comes out it might bare as little resemblance to that 2015 game I loved as XB2 bore to XB1. It’s strangely comforting to type, like a weight off my shoulders.

Elma getting into Smash at this point would be like Banjo-Kazooie getting into Smash; even if they never appeared in anything afterwards it’d be a fine - and overdue (considering they should’ve been in at least an entry earlier) - finale.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't know, but recently I've been having a somewhat good feeling about FP5. I know that this is just stating facts that we've already been over countless times, but still: The Rex Mii costume being a "part" of the Fighter's Pass means that Xenoblade was on Sakurai's mind for it. Borderlands 3 is out now, and Caitlin Glass apparently did no voice work for it, despite having done so for previous games in that series, which means that we still don't know what that NDA role is. 'Cause, there's also still no word on Sawano's secret project (I think? I haven't checked recently), and then there's our entire deal with the DLC in 2. With how out of the left field SNK and Terry were for FP4, this might be cause for at least a bit of hope here.

. . .I'm probably really just pointlessly rambling about this. Still, I needed to get that of my chest.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know, but recently I've been having a somewhat good feeling about FP5. I know that this is just stating facts that we've already been over countless times, but still: The Rex Mii costume being a "part" of the Fighter's Pass means that Xenoblade was on Sakurai's mind for it. Borderlands 3 is out now, and Caitlin Glass apparently did no voice work for it, despite having done so for previous games in that series, which means that we still don't know what that NDA role is. 'Cause, also no word on Sawano's secret project (I think? I haven't checked recently), and our entire deal with the DLC in 2. With how out of the left field SNK and Terry were for FP4, this might be cause for at least a bit of hope here.

. . .I'm probably really just pointlessly rambling about this. Still, I needed to get that of my chest.
If you consider the Milk rumor saying FP5 is female and the publisher having “already appeared” it would lean in her favor too

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm thinking Elma would be future DLC outside of this pass, but if she combo broke the 3rd party character streak, I wouldn't even be mad. Imagine if they announced her (with the wind blowing hard) in December alongside an X port/deluxe edition or something, too. I can dream, darn it!

X still has a future. The game did great for a late Wii U JRPG. It was super ambitious and I don't think Nintendo forgot about that. It'll pay off eventually. I don't mind being overshadowed for the time being, so long as Xenoblade as a whole gets more recognition. Our time will come.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
There’s speculation that Kunihiko Tanaka (Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade X character artist, ie they designed Elma) won’t be returning to illustrate for any future Xeno games based on their comments in the XB2 art book, on their blog and on the Kosmos figure illustration...

On one hand I’ll be sad to not see their designs in future Xeno games but... between XBDE all but confirming there’ll be no X news before 2021 at the latest and the fact that Tanaka won’t be designing for it makes me feel like I could drop the whole series and not miss out on anything. By the time anything X related comes out it might bare as little resemblance to that 2015 game I loved as XB2 bore to XB1. It’s strangely comforting to type, like a weight off my shoulders.

Elma getting into Smash at this point would be like Banjo-Kazooie getting into Smash; even if they never appeared in anything afterwards it’d be a fine - and overdue (considering they should’ve been in at least an entry earlier) - finale.
Can you give us some links with the speculations? I wanted to read what the comments are.

But I don't think a character artstyle change would be much of a huge hit against X. If they find one that can be translated well on 3D models without the need for cel-shading I would be okay. And the world and enemy artstyle would probably remain the same. It would be akin to this thing they decided to do for XC1.

Top Bottom