• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know, taking a look at this video thumbnail. . .

Anyone else "looking forward" to yet another speculation cycle of people completely ignoring Elma or outright dismissing any points in her favour?

Features such as?
I don't know of anything specific, but that's just something that I heard was said in interviews. That the original vision for X was much grander, and had to be scaled back for a variety of reasons.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Original X main city was much bigger, with cop cars and what not. Mira itself was going to be bigger, but they had to tone it down due to costs and time. Some characters were cut like a young female and a older male that would have somewhat important roles. Avatar idea was not there in the beginning, was added later, and changes were done to fit it. This much is certain.

Now, could be just concept arts or ideas for eventual sequels but there seemed to be more Quilureans than just Celica. L seemed to have a larger whole. But again, those may not be exactly something cut, but something they thought will fit better in a sequel.

X from the very beginning was an insanely ambitious project, specifically for a first HD game first wii u project, Monolith was handling.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I definitely think Rex has a better chance than Elma, especially considering how popular XC2 has been. That being said, even if Elma doesn't get in as a character, maybe she could be a Mii costume, or even a DLC Assist Trophy. I know they've never done that, but still.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I definitely think Rex has a better chance than Elma, especially considering how popular XC2 has been. That being said, even if Elma doesn't get in as a character, maybe she could be a Mii costume, or even a DLC Assist Trophy. I know they've never done that, but still.
In my mind, it depends of when they decided to do this second season pass.

If it was all the way back to the end of development of the base game that they planned to do two season passes (but revealed two just now), then Rex is out, as there would be no reason for them to make his mii costume if they were going to do so many DLC chars, and also the fact that xenoblade 2 was not fully ready by that point.

Now, if they decided to do the second season pass more recently (more likely), then Rex has a big high chance of being on it, heck, given how Sakurai talked about him, I would be as far as to say Rex is one of the safest shoes in. Elma? Well, if this thing they decided to do for Xenoblade 1 is the xenoblade project they were working on, then xenoblade X2 is really not happening any time soon, possibly, not even on switch lifespan. So unless they also intend to bring X to the switch (with the money they will get from the thing they are doing for 1), Elma has no chance anymore for ultimate.

And honestly, the combo of Rex as a figher plus Elma as mii costume would do no favours for X, it would only send a indirect message of it being less than the numbered titles (as if such message was not being sent enough already). Rather they leave X alone then, and give a problem representation on the next smash, which will probably be around X2 release, by the way things are going.

I was thinking about this Xeno 1 remaster and I think I decided what I will do. Wait for it to release, and ask for spoilers of it having something added that hint at X in any shape, being acknowleding X as part of the multiverse, or that the conduit may have gone to X universe, or even a non canonical hint of X being ported or about X2. A special feature like the land of challenge and someone from X showing up, would be okay too. But if there is nothing there, no mention of X whatsoever, even if indirect, and only the retcons to make 1 fits with 2 better, well, I will give it a hard pass.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok wait crazy idea time

What if XB1DE has an Elma cameo? Maybe that’s Caitlin’s NDA role? And if she’s revealed in the direct, her Smash reveal follows up afterwards?

Crazy idea I know but I for one refuse to give up hope

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Ok wait crazy idea time

What if XB1DE has an Elma cameo? Maybe that’s Caitlin’s NDA role? And if she’s revealed in the direct, her Smash reveal follows up afterwards?

Crazy idea I know but I for one refuse to give up hope
In such scenario, I would get this game.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
What kind of cameo would it be? I'm not really sure on how they'd connect the games to make it possible, unless they're trying to bring everything together with definitive editions. Or do you mean someone who looks like Elma just to remind us X is a thing? Maybe I'm looking too hard into it lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What kind of cameo would it be? I'm not really sure on how they'd connect the games to make it possible, unless they're trying to bring everything together with definitive editions. Or do you mean someone who looks like Elma just to remind us X is a thing? Maybe I'm looking too hard into it lol
you remember the Realm of Challenges in 2? And how Elma said the device that Nopon gave her transported her mind to Alrest, where time passes faster there than on Mira? What if said device takes her mind to Bionis/Mechonis too? idk

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Even though XC:DE makes me happy as **** and I absolutely can't wait to play through the entire game a third time, I do think that X should've gotten a port first. Maybe it's going to be a thing eventually, IDK...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
you remember the Realm of Challenges in 2? And how Elma said the device that Nopon gave her transported her mind to Alrest, where time passes faster there than on Mira? What if said device takes her mind to Bionis/Mechonis too? idk
While I'd love to see that, I'd doubt that they'd do that. Adding in an additional Blade in 2 is definitely easier than adding a fully-fledged party member to 1, seeing as that'd require arts, skills trees, costumes, and so on.
Though on the other hand, Elma would have a significantly easier time fitting than anyone from 2, considering how similar the battle systems are between 1 and X, as opposed to 1 and 2. All she'd really need is a talent art.

On a different note, I really hope they add fashion geat to the Definitive Edition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While I'd love to see that, I'd doubt that they'd do that. Adding in an additional Blade in 2 is definitely easier than adding a fully-fledged party member to 1, seeing as that'd require arts, skills trees, costumes, and so on.
Though on the other hand, Elma would have a significantly easier time fitting than anyone from 2, considering how similar the battle systems are between 1 and X, as opposed to 1 and 2. All she'd really need is a talent art.

On a different note, I really hope they add fashion geat to the Definitive Edition.
She could also be just a bonus boss, or an NPC that gives quests or challenges. It’s something at least

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If there's any Land of Challenge style content then they'll probably include Elma like they did in XB2's DLC. Otherwise it's clear they want to focus on the numbered Xenoblade games because they're the most popular and well-received. I've already beaten XB1 on the 3DS years ago and as much as I liked it I don't share the same unyielding praises most people seem to offer it, while I couldn't care less about Takahashi's xteenth attempt at Perfect Works or the predictable XB1-2 retcons they'll make.

I just hope if they do have anything planned for X it comes out before everyone's forgotten about it. Maybe this approach will grow the series larger before trying something different again, or maybe it's just how they dumpster X once and for all.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
It would be nice if X had a clear place established in the timeline/universe/whatever. The fact that it didn't turn out to be the official "second" game has pretty much lead to people not really knowing what to do with it.
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it again.
I'd love them to tie all the games together by essentially "retconning" Mira to be a manifestation of Meyneth. Zanza/Klaus was in two separate universes with different personalities and desires, so why not add to Meyneth, or "Galaea" (as she was known as a human according to 2)? We saw her kind and gentle side in the original, why not make Mira be her as an insane entity that's trapping anything that is there and preventing anyone from dying as well since that would technically count as leaving? Just my tired, unedited ramblings for you.

Also, potentially unpopular opinion about Elma incoming:
I really dislike Elma's True Form from a design standpoint. Like, it's just ugly fan service imo. Made me roll my eyes when I saw it for the first time. At least it reaffirmed my decision to literally always play with the Mimeosome version of her.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Even though XC:DE makes me happy as **** and I absolutely can't wait to play through the entire game a third time, I do think that X should've gotten a port first. Maybe it's going to be a thing eventually, IDK...
It makes some sense perhaps. X is the more recent game.. and even if it's not a sequel to the original Xenoblade in any sense other than it coming after, maintaining some hallmarks of the series, and vague allusions to it's relation via deeper lore bits.. the original still set the stage for what Xenoblade as a series would become, (influenced by saga and gears before of course). That said, since that time the series has changed quite a bit and you can expect gentle retcons in the remake such as matching the Klaus scenes to their portrayal in XC2. Point being, they're establishing the series again in a sense with a fresh look and I think it leads into X well. Despite their seemingly tenuous relationship, they're still of the same series and one follows the other. We may even get a clearer picture of the connection of all three games in the XC1 remake. There's nothing that says they can't slip a tease in there without changing the story.

Heh, I just remember a crazy idea I had once. Back when XC2 got announced. I remember thinking.. what if the "X" in Xenoblade Chronicles X is a 10 and we're gonna get 3-9 before we see how X is connected. I think this was kinda a meme idea other people had as well back then, but I can't remember. I can't have been the only person to think it and I'm pretty sure I remember other people talking about this. It's not what I'd hope for and would be pretty inadvisable to do to the series. Drawing out a connection that long would just fizzle out the mystery until it was forgotten or correctly speculated too early. But.. I did remember that thought and it's a funny one to be like, "wow, can you imagine?"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it again.
I'd love them to tie all the games together by essentially "retconning" Mira to be a manifestation of Meyneth. Zanza/Klaus was in two separate universes with different personalities and desires, so why not add to Meyneth, or "Galaea" (as she was known as a human according to 2)? We saw her kind and gentle side in the original, why not make Mira be her as an insane entity that's trapping anything that is there and preventing anyone from dying as well since that would technically count as leaving? Just my tired, unedited ramblings for you.

I really dislike Elma's True Form from a design standpoint. Like, it's just ugly fan service imo. Made me roll my eyes when I saw it for the first time. At least it reaffirmed my decision to literally always play with the Mimeosome version of her.
You do know you could change her clothes right?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
What are the chances that, if they do pick Rex & Pyra or some other Xenoblade character as DLC, they go with an XCX stage rather than a stage from whatever game the character is from? I'd like to think that representing the entire series is important to Nintendo rather than just pushing one or two entries, and a Challenger Pack drawing from a whole series rather than just one title would be a nice change of pace. On the other hand there's still no indication Nintendo cares about X and I'm sure the non-Fighter's Pass characters might not even come with stages, let alone be first party characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What are the chances that, if they do pick Rex & Pyra or some other Xenoblade character as DLC, they go with an XCX stage rather than a stage from whatever game the character is from? I'd like to think that representing the entire series is important to Nintendo rather than just pushing one or two entries, and a Challenger Pack drawing from a whole series rather than just one title would be a nice change of pace. On the other hand there's still no indication Nintendo cares about X and I'm sure the non-Fighter's Pass characters might not even come with stages, let alone be first party characters.
Yeah that won’t happen. No Nintendo newcomer has come with a stage that isn’t explicitly from their origin game iirc, same series or not

And no I’m not counting the “home stages” from Melee

Last edited:

Limitbreakfull

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure Nintendo has X on their mind. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to make a trailer for Elma last year in the expansion pass. X's placement is just weird at the moment.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And I've been thinking, the usual mode of operation is to add the main playable character (Villager over Tom Nook for example) but things may change. Not only is Elma the X character used in the 2 crossover over Rook, the first Indie Mii costume is not of the game's protagonist, but of it's most iconic character.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I happen to like the crystalline hair and structures on her face, it helps distinguish True Elma from being a standard “space-elf,” as it were.
And I've been thinking, the usually mode of operation is to add the main playable character (Villager over Tom Nook for example) but things may change. Not only is Elma the X character used in the 2 crossover over Rook, the first Indie Mii costume is not of the game's protagonist, but of it's most iconic character.
Yes, this IS quite an interesting detail to consider.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
And I've been thinking, the usual mode of operation is to add the main playable character (Villager over Tom Nook for example) but things may change. Not only is Elma the X character used in the 2 crossover over Rook, the first Indie Mii costume is not of the game's protagonist, but of it's most iconic character.
Recall that Sakurai initially wanted to add Chrom instead of Robin, but went with Robin because of a more interesting moveset. Also look at Pokemon, Pokemon Trainer wasn't added as a fighter until Brawl with Pikachu and Jigglypuff (etc) being in the game before him.

This situation is more in Elma's favour because unlike Robin, Cross is basically a blankslate in terms of personality and Elma is less likely to play like any other fighter in Smash.

Sakurai does indeed look at which characters are more popular/iconic from their given game. Elma is indeed the most popular AND iconic character from X. And unlike Chrom she's got potential to be much more than just an echo fighter.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Elma true form is such a cool retake of KOS-MOS, I love it. I can only imagine how beautiful her hair and eyebrows would look if they added that shining "liquid moving inside" effect more noticeably / better, thanks to better modelling techniques. They could add some glowing lines passing through that transparent fiber to make it very cyber-ish like, somewhat like those highlights they added on her standard costume in 2.

Unfortunately "I can only imagine" is quite literal, since they chose to go with 1...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if they have the time to redo Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and they're porting the strangest crossover (SMTxFEx Unironic Pop Idols) from WiiU I think odds are good of Chronicles X getting a second chance. Maybe we just have to wait for a gap in Nintendo's schedule

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, Elma and now Edelgard. What is it with these female characters who look like they have a lot of things unique to offer, yet are most probably going to be snubbed over for generic and overused concepts (Rex and Byleth). Assuming Three Houses even gets a rep that is, but with the announcement of more DLC: I can hear the Rex train chugging all the way over the support train.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Ugh, Elma and now Edelgard. What is it with these female characters who look like they have a lot of things unique to offer, yet are most probably going to be snubbed over for generic and overused concepts (Rex and Byleth). Assuming Three Houses even gets a rep that is, but with the announcement of more DLC: I can hear the Rex train chugging all the way over the support train.
Eh, I'm still convinced that the Rex Mii Costume is a disconfirmation for Ultimate's entire life span. Whether we get more DLC or not, Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes were also saved for Ultimate (Chrom, Isabelle, K.Rool), despite two of them being for easy characters to make. Not to mention that the Rex Mii Costume was already a part of the Fighter's Pass.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'm still convinced that the Rex Mii Costume is a disconfirmation for Ultimate's entire life span. Whether we get more DLC or not, Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes were also saved for Ultimate (Chrom, Isabelle, K.Rool), despite two of them being for easy characters to make. Not to mention that the Rex Mii Costume was already a part of the Fighter's Pass.
The fact that Sakurai personally apologized for not having Rex as a fighter (even having XC2 tracks in the game) makes me feel/worry he'll go back to his original plan to add Rex, especially when I heard that he loves XC2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fact that Sakurai personally apologized for not having Rex as a fighter (even having XC2 tracks in the game) makes me feel/worry he'll go back to his original plan to add Rex, especially when I heard that he loves XC2.
He also said he was aware of the backlash when Waluigi and Isaac were Assist Trophies, but when it comes down to it I think he’ll just save them and Rex for next game cause there’s not much he can do at this point when they’ve already been shown in a largely unchangeable role

Selenite

Smash Cadet

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sakurai has also praised Half Life 2 and Halo 2 in the past, enjoys Minecraft, rejected characters like Pac-Man and Banjo and Kazooie for the Super Smash Bros series. Sakurai doesn't always follow through with whatever he says.
I'm not sure what the first two links have to do with Rex's inclusion (Sakurai enjoys playing video games? I am shocked! Shocked, I say!), and you're leaving out a lot of context for the last one.

Banjo and Kazooie couldn't be included in Melee for legal issues - Rare wasn't fully owned by Nintendo even back then, which would have complicated things - and based on the interview that was quoted, Sakurai couldn't picture Pac-Man working in Smash since he only saw him as the yellow circle.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Should that come to pass, then this image I made last year would sum up my feelings best.

Elma'sAdviceSmashU.png

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
If XCX music wouldn't be included with Rex (and considering how easy it should've been to add til now, I'm guessing it won't be), I'd really rather not have him in Smash. I dislike his design, I hate his English voice, it's annoying that most people seem to only want him to get Pyra/Mythra in the game, and I don't even think he would work well as a Smash character since he can't jump in combat, attack while moving, half of his arts don't translate, and he'd be too much like Shulk. If we HAVE to get a XC2 character, Lora & Jin would be preferable. At least with them, swapping to recover % at certain times could be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
In general, the first inclusion from a series or game is going to be the protag. Then they'll borrow game mechanics to flesh that character out in Smash. Rex/Aegis could probably borrow elements from Torna's gameplay if Sakurai wanted to do that. It's certainly not unprecedented. I'm certain there's people that would prefer Nia or Zeke or Lora with her blades over Rex, for instance.. but we can't reasonably assume that if XC2 get representation that it would be any of them before it was Rex, tbh. Personally, I love Rex and don't have a problem with that. In a perfect world he wouldn't have to be the only one tho.. I just don't expect that at all. Cameos like Dundan and Fiora got in Shulk's final smash would probably be the best we could hope.

As for Elma. She's in a similar position tho slightly less definitive. Cross exists, but most character descriptions of Elma describe her has the main protag. Her DLC appearance in XC2 solidifies that in a sense. She'd also be quite unique as a Smash character and a Xenoblade representative. She's clearly the first choice from XCX. No doubt Lin would be interesting, but I don't think anyone believes Lin would be playable before Elma, right? Again, would be super fun if Lin did get in too, but wont be before Elma.

It says a lot that the Xeno series has so many good characters and I can only hope it gets at least some recognition in that regard. I know I've said it ad nauseam but I'd be so down for Xeno representation at FE levels. Really, I'm hoping for at least one but I can't reasonably believe more than two. Even two seems like too much to hope for but god would I be hype... sheesh. And if there were to be two, the most reasonable thing to guess would be one representative each from XCX and XC2.

...i do think about KOS-MOS tho. She could legit sneak in under the guise of a 3rd party cuz of her origins. We're in this odd situation where if Nintendo really does decide it's DLC can be 3rd party only... KOS-MOS might somehow be the most likely xeno rep to get in...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Random thought: If When Elma makes it in, how many jokes about people confusing her with Edelgard do you think are there going to be? Because I can already see plenty.

If XCX music wouldn't be included with Rex (and considering how easy it should've been to add til now, I'm guessing it won't be), I'd really rather not have him in Smash. I dislike his design, I hate his English voice, it's annoying that most people seem to only want him to get Pyra/Mythra in the game, and I don't even think he would work well as a Smash character since he can't jump in combat, attack while moving, half of his arts don't translate, and he'd be too much like Shulk. If we HAVE to get a XC2 character, Lora & Jin would be preferable. At least with them, swapping to recover % at certain times could be pretty interesting.
To give Rex at least a tiny bit of credit (which is still more than he deserves), it's not like Sakurai couldn't work with that. Pokémon are all always pretty much static in their battles, and he still managed to get something good out of them.
At any rate, it seems like the post-pass DLC is also going to be Nintendo picks, which makes it even more doubtful to me that Rex is gonna make it in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In my mind, it depends of when they decided to do this second season pass.

If it was all the way back to the end of development of the base game that they planned to do two season passes (but revealed two just now), then Rex is out, as there would be no reason for them to make his mii costume if they were going to do so many DLC chars, and also the fact that xenoblade 2 was not fully ready by that point.

Now, if they decided to do the second season pass more recently (more likely), then Rex has a big high chance of being on it, heck, given how Sakurai talked about him, I would be as far as to say Rex is one of the safest shoes in. Elma? Well, if this thing they decided to do for Xenoblade 1 is the xenoblade project they were working on, then xenoblade X2 is really not happening any time soon, possibly, not even on switch lifespan. So unless they also intend to bring X to the switch (with the money they will get from the thing they are doing for 1), Elma has no chance anymore for ultimate.

And honestly, the combo of Rex as a figher plus Elma as mii costume would do no favours for X, it would only send a indirect message of it being less than the numbered titles (as if such message was not being sent enough already). Rather they leave X alone then, and give a problem representation on the next smash, which will probably be around X2 release, by the way things are going.

I was thinking about this Xeno 1 remaster and I think I decided what I will do. Wait for it to release, and ask for spoilers of it having something added that hint at X in any shape, being acknowleding X as part of the multiverse, or that the conduit may have gone to X universe, or even a non canonical hint of X being ported or about X2. A special feature like the land of challenge and someone from X showing up, would be okay too. But if there is nothing there, no mention of X whatsoever, even if indirect, and only the retcons to make 1 fits with 2 better, well, I will give it a hard pass.
Sigh... Honestly, I wish we could just get both Elma and Rex & Pyra to please everyone.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Sigh... Honestly, I wish we could just get both Elma and Rex & Pyra to please everyone.
They both together would indeed be great. I am not against Rex as long as Elma is in too. Rex alone though would be a really bad scenario, that I hope will not happen. I haven't got much luck with the things I hope, though.

Top Bottom