• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Completely random thought that I just had, but we know that Nintendo made the DLC selection, right? What makes people think that Spirits can't be fighters then? If Nintendo wanted to use a character that was a Spirit as DLC, I doubt that they would really care that they have a static image of them that doesn't have any tangible importance to the way the game functions (Assist Trophies, for example). Yeah, Sakurai has the deciding vote, but if he just said "sorry, they're a Spirit
already", I'm not sure that excuse would hold up.

Now if he couldn't think of a moveset, that's another thing entirely. but most likely if Nintendo wanted a character playable, they would have a pretty clear idea of what they wanted out of it. This is all hypothetical, but to me it has at least some logic to it. Although it won't matter much if all the characters are brand new 3rd parties.
We already saw trophies become fighters in Smash 4 with Mewtwo and Lucas. The only real argument is if they worked on Spirits and the DLC character shortlist simultaneously and didn't want overlap for any reason - it's possible they adjusted characters who were spirits but were planned as DLC to not be spirits - but that begs the question of "why would they want to avoid overlap so much".
Chrom's part of Robin's final smash and he's a playable character. Duck Hunt is both an interactive stage element and a playable character. We already have many spirits that are already fighters on the roster in different forms as well. For example, Kaptain K. Rool is a spirit but King K. Rool is a playable character and he even turns into said Kaptain K. Rool during one of his moves. I don't think things such as a single still image like Heihachi Mishima that randomly appears in a taunt and couldn't be mistaken for the actual character is a huge obstacle here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man

I legit dreamt we got a X Switch port last night and I was playing it and I was so excited

Then I woke up... :c

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Chrom's part of Robin's final smash and he's a playable character. Duck Hunt is both an interactive stage element and a playable character. We already have many spirits that are already fighters on the roster in different forms as well. For example, Kaptain K. Rool is a spirit but King K. Rool is a playable character and he even turns into said Kaptain K. Rool during one of his moves. I don't think things such as a single still image like Heihachi Mishima that randomly appears in a taunt and couldn't be mistaken for the actual character is a huge obstacle here.
When Elma is fighting in Smash, Alfonzo shall take her place of saving humanity and whatever else she does.

Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!" :denzel:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I continue to think tho

Maybe the fact we got a Rex Mii Costume

Is cause the fighter pass will have a Xenoblade character that isn’t Rex

If Jane is Kasumi and a Joker Echo/Semi clone, Fiora could be the same for Elma, and Fiora too is in a final smash like Chrom, making her the second newcomer to also be in someone’s final smash

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I continue to think tho

Maybe the fact we got a Rex Mii Costume

Is cause the fighter pass will have a Xenoblade character that isn’t Rex

If Jane is Kasumi and a Joker Echo/Semi clone, Fiora could be the same for Elma, and Fiora too is in a final smash like Chrom, making her the second newcomer to also be in someone’s final smash
True. There wasn’t anything stopping Sakurai from doing Rex as DLC since he was too late for base game except for the fact that Nintendo chose the characters. So it seems that they don’t really feel that Rex will be important going forward. They did give Banjo-Kazooie though, a long requested duo.

I’m sure NoJ knows exactly how popular Rex is in the East, but they elected to ignore that, so I’d wager a new Xenoblade rep will be either Elma or a completely new character. And if the X series continues, Elma’s the face of it for sure.

Also, does anyone have any theories/headcanons about how/if X connects to the main series? My personal one is
That Meyneth/Galaea’s other half is in the X universe like Klaus in 2. It could make sense that Mira itself is her embodiment, and that she is why no one can leave or potentially die. Nothing supports this besides me hoping for connections, but I still could see it having some weight to it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yup. Unfortunately, none of the DLC characters we've had so far are from series that are in the base game (except PP, but even then he's an outlier in many ways), so the "spirits deconfirm" mindset will linger like a bad smell until we get first-party DLC again, if even then.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Billybo10k just released a video about Elma's possibility of being added.

Lets keep that hope continuing everyone!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
True. There wasn’t anything stopping Sakurai from doing Rex as DLC since he was too late for base game except for the fact that Nintendo chose the characters. So it seems that they don’t really feel that Rex will be important going forward. They did give Banjo-Kazooie though, a long requested duo.

I’m sure NoJ knows exactly how popular Rex is in the East, but they elected to ignore that, so I’d wager a new Xenoblade rep will be either Elma or a completely new character. And if the X series continues, Elma’s the face of it for sure.

Also, does anyone have any theories/headcanons about how/if X connects to the main series? My personal one is
That Meyneth/Galaea’s other half is in the X universe like Klaus in 2. It could make sense that Mira itself is her embodiment, and that she is why no one can leave or potentially die. Nothing supports this besides me hoping for connections, but I still could see it having some weight to it.
Since Klaus’s good half was in Alrest as the Architect, and his bad half in Xenoblade 1’s world as Zanza, maybe Galea’s bad half is on Mira if her good half was Meyneth.

Also, how the conduit vanished at the end of 2? The Architect said something about it randomly ending up someplace else. Maybe it’s on Mira now?

Basically, 1 and 2 happen at the same time in separate universes, but X happens after both in the universe with Mira in it

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Since Klaus’s good half was in Alrest as the Architect, and his bad half in Xenoblade 1’s world as Zanza, maybe Galea’s bad half is on Mira if her good half was Meyneth.

Also, how the conduit vanished at the end of 2? The Architect said something about it randomly ending up someplace else. Maybe it’s on Mira now?

Basically, 1 and 2 happen at the same time in separate universes, but X happens after both in the universe with Mira in it
The only thing that contradicts that is the fact that Meyneth dies before the ending of 1, so it wouldn’t line up too well. Also I’m not sure if Meyneth would have an “evil side” like Klaus. It might make sense to parallel the character, but originally Meyneth thought the experiment was too dangerous, so I could still see her being either benevolent or some hollow being with basically no emotions besides trying to protect the people.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Billybo10k just released a video about Elma's possibility of being added.

Lets keep that hope continuing everyone!
Can't say I'm too fond of the video or the thread myself. It really wasn't all that convincing, and most of it was just generally in favour of first-party characters for the Fighter's Pass. And of course, the comment section there is just full of people screaching the usual "Ummmm actually Spirits definitely deconfirm!!!!". It's annoying.

But speaking of arguments. . . I think it may be about time to ask this again. There's still no news on Sawano's secret project and Caitlin Glass' NDA role, right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can't say I'm too fond of the video or the thread myself. It really wasn't all that convincing, and most of it was just generally in favour of first-party characters for the Fighter's Pass. And of course, the comment section there is just full of people screaching the usual "Ummmm actually Spirits definitely deconfirm!!!!". It's annoying.

But speaking of arguments. . . I think it may be about time to ask this again. There's still no news on Sawano's secret project and Caitlin Glass' NDA role, right?
Nope and nope. As long as neither is revealed before the next Smash reveal, she’s still safe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
“Elma isn’t playable in Xenoblade X.” Why are some people still citing this person?
I thought he just said Elma wasn’t the main character of X, which is technically wrong, she is. Cross is just a player avatar meant to insert yourself into the story

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
I thought he just said Elma wasn’t the main character of X, which is technically wrong, she is. Cross is just a player avatar meant to insert yourself into the story
That’s a lie. Everyone knows that the REAL main protagonist of Xenoblade X is Tatsu. The team is called Team Tatsu and Tatsu showed up in Xenoblade 2. :troll:

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Heard that Kill la kill complete sound track was officially release not much time ago :

https://www.crunchyroll.com/pt-br/a...soundtrack-hits-japanese-music-stores-in-june

Maybe the small Sawano project could have been something to do with this.
None of those tracks are new.
Kill La Kill soundtrack releases
  • Volume 1: 25 December 2013
  • Rearrange & Remix: 08 January 2014
  • Volume 2: 07 May 2014

That is just a repackaging that gives the same content similar to Kingdom Hearts: All In One Collection content vs Kingdom Hearts The Story so Far collection with the few differences is Kingdom Hearts The Story so Far condense the numbers of discs and that Kill La Kill complete soundtrack probably does something similar or at least packaged all of the already released soundtracks into one release.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
None of those tracks are new.
Kill La Kill soundtrack releases
  • Volume 1: 25 December 2013
  • Rearrange & Remix: 08 January 2014
  • Volume 2: 07 May 2014

That is just a repackaging that gives the same content similar to Kingdom Hearts: All In One Collection content vs Kingdom Hearts The Story so Far collection with the few differences is Kingdom Hearts The Story so Far condense the numbers of discs and that Kill La Kill complete soundtrack probably does something similar or at least packaged all of the already released soundtracks into one release.
So once again, this story never truly ends.
Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
According to a Reddit post, a few artists who worked on X are Tweeting about it all around the same time?

Link

Could this mean something? Switch port or sequel? Intriguing to say the least.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
According to a Reddit post, a few artists who worked on X are Tweeting about it all around the same time?

Link

Both would be awesome, but I'm really praying for a Switch port of X to happen. Not too keen on the idea of picking up a Wii U just to play one game, despite how much of a Xenoblade fanboy I am...

Abade

Smash Apprentice

Link

They are trying to say “my artwork is better then yours.” :demon::troll:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Link

Isn’t Choco also the artist for Xenosaga? They made a tweet with a sketch of Shion and KOS-MOS lately too

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

Link

Don't you lie to me, cause I'm not blind I see the lessons that you teach create the hate in me.
I'm not scared to say that I won't be that way. We're all the same, but there's always a price to pay.
I don't want to be the one to push you down and pull you up again.
I don't want to be that way.
You're falling down, you're falling down again.
(Lyrics from Breaking Point's song Falling Down.)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, guess I just joined the ranks of "people dreaming about their most wanted making it in". Last night I had a dream about watching an Elma reveal trailer, which. . . admittedly was a bit odd. It just began with here being there, interacting with other Smash characters, then she rode a Monado-themed motorcycle (as in, the wheels looks a lot like the round glass where the symbols appear, with some red around them), there was a shot when she got off said motorcycle which needlessly focussed on her arse (which in itself was odd because I really don't care for those), and then her moveset was shown. . . in the form of a simple text file appearing on screen.
Towards the end of it all, I thought to myself that it's amazing that they'd reveal the next newcomer so soon after E3 - then I realized I was dreaming and woke up.

Dreams are odd.

Link

I'd probably get a bit more excited about this if it had happened before E3. Now that it's past us, we're probably gonna have to wait until around September before we hear anything more on that. . .

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, guess I just joined the ranks of "people dreaming about their most wanted making it in". Last night I had a dream about watching an Elma reveal trailer, which. . . admittedly was a bit odd. It just began with here being there, interacting with other Smash characters, then she rode a Monado-themed motorcycle (as in, the wheels looks a lot like the round glass where the symbols appear, with some red around them), there was a shot when she got off said motorcycle which needlessly focussed on her arse (which in itself was odd because I really don't care for those), and then her moveset was shown. . . in the form of a simple text file appearing on screen.
Towards the end of it all, I thought to myself that it's amazing that they'd reveal the next newcomer so soon after E3 - then I realized I was dreaming and woke up.

Dreams are odd.

I'd probably get a bit more excited about this if it had happened before E3. Now that it's past us, we're probably gonna have to wait until around September before we hear anything more on that. . .
ok that bolded part is actually kinda hilarious not gonna lie

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So, I'm finally back on Xenoblade 2 and have started building up Elma's affinity chart. She's a dual blade type and DB is a lot of fun, so that's cool. I still don't quite understand what's going on when she activates Overdrive mode, though. Anyone here that can explain it to me?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Elma is wonderful to play in XC2. Overdrive is a powertrip and of course the character is cool. I have her affinity chart complete and into S5 affinity, and she's maxed out on Nia, Morag, and Zeke.. all of which she does just fine on. Her being in XC2 was the hypest thing added to the game outside of Torna. She's got some really nice rewarding heart to hearts and stuff too. Check em out if you haven't.

Also, been lurking this thread off and on for quite some time but haven't said hi here in this generation at least.... was more active in the Smash 4 DLC iteration of this place, back when I was still playing XCX, heh. So, hi!

Still hope for Elma and would be super hyped if she made it in. In my perfect dream world... we'd get Elma, Rex/Aegis, and KOS-MOS. Just a big fat Xeno series fanservice. Make it the next FE for all I care. The more the merrier. But I know realistically, we can only possibly expect one new addition, but any of them would be preferable to none.

Edit:
Oh sorry, gushed before reading full post, Lamperouge Lamperouge . Overdrive can be activated when you get full party gauge. It can be reactivated when you get full party gauge again. Each activation increases your bonuses. So by the time you've activated it a third time, you're doing massive damage. I recommend having arts recharge and party gauge increasing pouch items. Elma does great refilling gauge with her multihit specials, but after the first activation you can be using any blade to reactivate. And of course having Wir Fliegen playing in the background the whole time is just awesome.

Real talk.. I can live with and accept not having any new Xenoblade characters in Smash, but the thing that'll hurt the most is not having more of the music. XCX is completely shafted and I can easily name 10 songs that would be great in Smash. And XC2 has some songs, but none of the ones they picked are in my personal top 10. Xenoblade could definitely use some more music representation. It's in a class of it's own and deserves more recognition.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, I'm finally back on Xenoblade 2 and have started building up Elma's affinity chart. She's a dual blade type and DB is a lot of fun, so that's cool. I still don't quite understand what's going on when she activates Overdrive mode, though. Anyone here that can explain it to me?
Okay, it's basically like this.

Die Wolkenkratzer erobern den vor Sternen glitzernden Himmel.
Wir laufen durch die Häuserschlucht,
damit wir echtes Licht nicht verlieren.
Unsere verletzten Herzen verschwinden in der Finsternis.
Wir sind wie verschneite Spuren im Schnee.
Wir sind wie wirbelnde Blätter im Wind.

. . .Joking aside, activating Overdrive in 2 gives you a damage boost, resistance boost, and reduces enemy resistance to the Break status. For anything else, just look at jahkzheng jahkzheng 's post.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
at this point I hope Elma is character #4, if only for the fact she'll release in December, and you know what they say about December...

or character #5 which will probably be announced in December but release in February.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I hope she's the last.
Smash Ultimate hype train ends with a bang for the Xeno fans.
I'm getting excited just thinking about honestly.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
at this point I hope Elma is character #4, if only for the fact she'll release in December, and you know what they say about December...

or character #5 which will probably be announced in December but release in February.
If anything, I'm betting on her being #4, just to mirror how things went in Smash 4. That is, all DLC newcomers are third-party characters, with the one exception of the penultimate one, which is a Nintendo character that, in the grand scheme of things, really didn't have much support.

. . .Honestly though, I'm really not buying this entire "The Fighter's Pass is gonna be all third-party!" talk that you hear everywhere. I mean, if that were the case, they could've just said this - after all, would there really be a point in keeping something like that a secret? It's not like it'd limit speculation, either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If anything, I'm betting on her being #4, just to mirror how things went in Smash 4. That is, all DLC newcomers are third-party characters, with the one exception of the penultimate one, which is a Nintendo character that, in the grand scheme of things, really didn't have much support.

. . .Honestly though, I'm really not buying this entire "The Fighter's Pass is gonna be all third-party!" talk that you hear everywhere. I mean, if that were the case, they could've just said this - after all, would there really be a point in keeping something like that a secret? It's not like it'd limit speculation, either.
I feel the same way about the “all third party” thing and how adamant ppl are that Spirits deconfirm

Plus the go to third parties a lot of ppl suggest really aren’t my cup of tea...

D

Deleted member

Nothing is on the table that would make 1st party picks impossible.

And hopefully Elma isn’t completely out of the run yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Unpopular opinion: I personally don’t give a crap about Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, or Nightmare, and I personally think Capcom shouldn’t get a fourth rep until Bamco gets a second and/or Square Enix gets a third and/or Sega gets their fourth (it’ll probably be Kasumi Yoshizawa as per the Joker datamine hint). Konami is good as is unless they decide to throw in like, Revengeance Raiden or something (as Bomberman’s an AT)

But if Elma gets in (or KOS-MOS) then I will happily accept whomever else comes my way

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion: I personally don’t give a crap about Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, or Nightmare, and I personally think Capcom shouldn’t get a fourth rep until Bamco gets a second and/or Square Enix gets a third and/or Sega gets their fourth (it’ll probably be Kasumi Yoshizawa as per the Joker datamine hint). Konami is good as is unless they decide to throw in like, Revengeance Raiden or something (as Bomberman’s an AT)

But if Elma gets in (or KOS-MOS) then I will happily accept whomever else comes my way
If you don't mind me asking, are there any third-parties in particular (besides KOS-MOS) that you do want?

Top Bottom