• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Today is the day I lost all interest in Ultimate.
It's been like almost 2 years that I only play one match every 6 months... Only speculation was still tying me with the game
I'm may be a spoiled brat, a picky one, a salty one don't know but no newcomers this smash I wanted or having real interest in.
And with this i'm sure i won't buy the second season pass even if i wanted the last two ones, Not worth it anymore.

This smash was the least played, and may be the most dissapointing smash for me :(
Congrats to sakurai for the game it's a really good one, just one that i just can't enjoy.

And for elma, ready yourself for the mii costume.

May be for the next smash she will be in, and we could have a trailer that ends with elma taking on both shulk and Pyra/mythra.

I just want to know if Nintendo and Monolith do really give a F about XcX or not now ? Starting to think they don't.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m not giving up until we see what the pack consists of AND they announce more fighters. After all, i wanted Neku as another Square Enix rep, even voting for him on the ballot, and he was spared from the Mii/content massacre last pack so... it’s slim but I’m holding on to that sliver of hope

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunate that Elma's chances seem done for pass 2. I really wish they would have put her in over Corrin as the "new" character in the smash 4 dlc.

I'm going to continue to hold out hope for a switch release of X. I put well over 200 hours into the WiiU release, it's a special game that more people should experience

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Part of why I’m still hoping for more dlc and that Elma survives this round is

with all the talk about next Smash most likely being a downsized reboot

I wanted Elma to have a shot against EVERYONE IS HERE. X is a game that helped me in a rough time in my life. If she waits for next game... everyone may not be there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Part of why I’m still hoping for more dlc and that Elma survives this round is

with all the talk about next Smash most likely being a downsized reboot

I wanted Elma to have a shot against EVERYONE IS HERE. X is a game that helped me in a rough time in my life. If she waits for next game... everyone may not be there.
Yeah, and we don't even know what the extent the downsizing would be. For all we know, they'd pull a Street Fighter 3 and just have the original eight characters come back, with everyone else being new.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it has to be like that then

I guess put her in other crossovers that feature characters in Smash

hell, I always talk about Project X Zone 3. Bring back Fiora, Chrom and Lucina; pair Elma with literally Pyra/Mythra who transforms between the two forms at will and throw in more Smash featured peeps like Shulk, Bayonetta, Pit, Captain Falcon, maybe even some Square, Atlus or Konami dudes if they wanna extend PXZ’s horizons

it’ll be like a pseudo-Smash since she couldn’t get into the actual one

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A Xeno warriors is a decent compromise as well, just like the two Hyrule Warriors games with the lack of a new Zelda character.

They can pull from the Gears and Saga series, such as of course KOS-MOS, in addition to characters from the three Xenoblade games. Including Elma.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But yes. See my latest profile post and... I think I’ll be going on hiatus for a bit

I’m expecting the worst. But having a tiny hope for a miracle and not wanting to feel sad. I’ve had a rough past several years and holding out for hope for my girl would have made me feel a lot better. But... I’m so conflicted. I don’t know what to think anymore.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It’s disappointing but not surprising. Any new XBX content is a blessing and that hasn’t changed. Just follow people who care about the games and enjoy whatever there is. There’s a few Japanese and Western artists who enjoy X and not necessarily the rest of the series and having their artwork appear on my timeline always makes my day. I’ve also commissioned XBX art work before, which I hope made other fans happy as other XBX love has made me happy.

also if they do add a Mii costume it should be the Formula, Verus or Ares cause skells are cool and they don’t deconfirm characters😎

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Been replaying XC2 whilst waiting for the Smash update and I had a thought, and also noticed something amusing that we all should have seen in retrospect.

First of all, I realised that while if they added ANY one Xenoblade character to Smash I'd have personally chosen Elma, if they were going to add Pyra and Elma, I would ABSOLUTELY add Pyra 1st. her game is currently more relevant, and X had the chance of being more revelant in the future.

Secondly, something amazing I noticed in XC2. Theres a nopon called Brobro who gives you the censored Mythra costume, I knew this of course, but what he says afterwards is... amazing.

Brobro: "How friends getting on with Aux Core that Brobro gave as present?"
"Did it improve power of Launch?"
Rex: "..."
Brobro: "Meh? No change to Launch power?"
"...Well, it special thing all the same. Brobro have strange feeling it maybe even most Ultimate item of all!"

it didn't effect launch, but it certainly was Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure Pyra and Mythra have been planned for a long time, and Sakurai and Monolith are working very closely. Afterall they worked together on Smash before in both Brawl and 4.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Been replaying XC2 whilst waiting for the Smash update and I had a thought, and also noticed something amusing that we all should have seen in retrospect.

First of all, I realised that while if they added ANY one Xenoblade character to Smash I'd have personally chosen Elma, if they were going to add Pyra and Elma, I would ABSOLUTELY add Pyra 1st. her game is currently more relevant, and X had the chance of being more revelant in the future.

Secondly, something amazing I noticed in XC2. Theres a nopon called Brobro who gives you the censored Mythra costume, I knew this of course, but what he says afterwards is... amazing.

Brobro: "How friends getting on with Aux Core that Brobro gave as present?"
"Did it improve power of Launch?"
Rex: "..."
Brobro: "Meh? No change to Launch power?"
"...Well, it special thing all the same. Brobro have strange feeling it maybe even most Ultimate item of all!"

it didn't effect launch, but it certainly was Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure Pyra and Mythra have been planned for a long time, and Sakurai and Monolith are working very closely. Afterall they worked together on Smash before in both Brawl and 4.
So then... the “is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together” and the event with Shulk, Elma and KOS-MOS... will that... amount to something too?

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
So then... the “is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together” and the event with Shulk, Elma and KOS-MOS... will that... amount to something too?
When XC2 was still being updated, I was watching datamines roll in to decide wether I'd bother buying the season pass or not, details about challenge mode, Shulk, Fiora and even blades up to Corvin were seen in the code, but it wasn't til a fair bit later that any hint of Elma showed up. 1st it was evidence of a dark element chakram user that people speculated was her as a boss fight, then later evidence of her as a playable blade showed up. Before long she showed up at Gamescom.

Despite releasing prior to Torna, Elma is never spoken to out loud by any other character. She speaks but there are no voiced lines directed at her. indicating her dialogue was recorded after Torna. My thinking is, both Mythra's redesign and Elma's entire inclusion were the last, late editions to they game, despite Elma releasing prior to Torna, And despite Shulk and Fiora's dialogue feeling like a nod to their game, Elma's straight up feels like cliff notes to X's themes and Elma's backstory.

I don't know what's gonna happen at the Sakurai presents, but he can only deconfirm her for Smash. I don't think it's close to over for XCX in general. Monolith are hiring for a new Xenoblade game and advertising it as a followup to both 1,2 AND X, whilst also hiring for a Zelda game and a Fantasy game... X would balance out that lineup far more than Xenoblade 3 would.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess her only other OTHER hope is

they have X music in Pythra’s presentation BUT Elma isn’t Mii’d. Reason being? They’ll bring back the Individual DLC model for a few final bonuses (3 maximum probably). She’ll be one of them.

friendly reminder that Individual DLC does not have a stage or music, as was the case with Piranha Plant. If Pythra comes with X music but no Elma Mii, Elma can simply be an Individual DLC later like a bonus. I think that’s best as X doesn’t have the big fanfare 2 has

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright so. It's been more than 24 hours since my last post so I can make another.

This may be long, but... I think it's probably for the best I assume Elma's done for. Maybe the presentation (which I won't watch out of anxiety) will have a pleasant surprise, more fighters after Volume 2 AND there's no X content whatsoever. I thought that way expecting Neku Sakuraba, another most wanted of mine, to be shot down in Sephiroth's presentation and by surprise, he wasn't. For what it's worth I also voted for Neku on the ballot. Not Elma cause her game came after the ballot in the west, but Mecha-Fiora was another vote on another then-work computer and she ended up in Shulk's FS.

At the risk of sounding like a sob story, I guess I'll explain everything. I apologize also for my erratic behavior in the past, as it was a way of masking some depression over the years due to irl circumstances which I'll get into shortly.

To me, Elma represents... promises I made. To myself, to friends... I had a pretty rough life so far, especially last decade. Certain events in particular last decade kinda... messed me up. Being bullied in another online community dedicated to an interest of mine that was rather small; feeling anxiety in returning to that niche interest since I feel I'd essentially been chased out; depression after losing a particular friend, first time temporarily and the second permanently (they were toxic all along but still); dealing with my dad's declining health which ended in his death just last year; having several other friends be perpetually AWOL; and losing several other friends due to either things I've did or said when I wasn't thinking; due to shelling up too much; or due to a certain person manipulating me. Some of those friends are friends with my mutual friends and I guess I... don't want my moots to end up picking a side so that hurts too. And living with a somewhat conservative mom who doesn't really believe in psychiatry after several bad experiences. So I sought out as many interests as I could to cope.

and like i mentioned here:
Imma keep it real with u chief

X has literally made an impact on me when I was going through a tough time in my life. Exploring that vast sci-fi world helped get my mind off my troubles. It’s also the sci-fi JRPG I’ve craved since the OG Xenosaga trilogy. While I enjoy stuff like Star Ocean, it kinda lacks that... vibe that Xenosaga and X have

that’s why I’m hoping Kossy and Elma survive this pack AND they announce more fighters still. I wanna see this impactful game represented in full

Of those friends I seemingly lost, only one seems to have somewhat made up with me/is open to mending bridges - one I considered like a little sister that I met in 2011. She and I deeply bonded so much, we had a lot of the same interests but also the same struggles. I know I got her to play Xenoblade X in 2016, after 4's DLC ended. We bonded over that, and it helped me cause 2016 was rough for me too mentally, for reasons I don't wish to disclose. She knew I supported Fiora for Smash as well and that I voted for her on the ballot. She said, "Hey, what if Fiora and/or Elma make it to Smash?" I thought that'd be cool.

In 2017, she blocked me on all social media suddenly before deactivating. I know she spoke in the past that she was very depressed, almost suicidal, and I did my best to support her, even suggesting a therapist. I at first thought it was something I did or said the days before that probably struck a nerve and didn't realize it and it broke my heart. 2017 was an awful year for me in general.

It was 2 years after that, precisely on the day Etika's body was found, that she DMed me on a now deleted throwaway account on social media explaining that her depression got worse and she shut herself away and even attempted suicide. That it wasn't my fault. I haven't heard from her since, but I hope she's doing better and that she'll one day reach out to me again. I also want to better myself and promise that I'll live my best life. Like Elma said, "Strength comes from experience."

I was hoping that... with the new smash, let alone EVERYONE IS HERE which made me so very happy, I did also vote for Snake on my phone then. But then... Fiora was added to Shulk's Final Smash, so I guess there went that. Chrom seems to be the exception when it comes to FS cameos being playable. So I shifted my support to Elma, maybe picking up a few more supports along the way like Octolings. She didn't make base, which I then thought was her best shot, but then two whole DLC passes happened. So much seemed to be in favor for her - Nintendo remembering X through that news article and putting Elma in 2 with a trailer to boot; Caitlin Glass's NDA announced after the first pass was announced; Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project, the gundam toy, and so much more. But then... there was Sakurai saying this is (more than likely) the last pass and I seriously doubt they'd double dip franchises in the same pass let alone companies (Nintendo being immune to the company rule of course). Which wouldn't be so bad if EVERYONE IS HERE was likely a one time thing. I'm hoping that if this is the end, the sheer sales of Ultimate could convince an Ultimate Deluxe for the hypothetical Super Switch and Elma would still have a shot vs EVERYONE IS HERE AGAIN. but I do also hope that in the event the Super Switch is a long ways off, that Sakurai can make take a brief break then go back to more DLC since Ult did way better than 4 especially in terms of DLC, and they're considering extending the Switch's lifespan. 4 had a lot less DLC cuz let's face it, Wii U was DOA. And probably, Elma's mechanic wouldn't work on a 3DS idk. if not, like I said, crossovers with other Smash characters outside of Smash, like a Project X Zone 3, would be an excellent consolation prize (even though I think it was either the lead writer or programmer that left. idk if they can take up the mantle and continue without that person).

But... I feel like I couldn't keep those promises. So I'll be expecting this to be the end for her and maybe take a sabbatical until the presentation. maybe longer if there is X content and/or they said it will end soon for real. If that's the case I could return if one of my "back up" MWs are confirmed: Octoling from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion; Ahri from League of Legends; or Reimu Hakurei from Touhou Project. I feel I haven't gotten anyone I was truly excited for this time around. Min Min made me happy, but not that happy. Shulk was I think the last one I actively wanted that was an "S-tier" want. Min Min was probably B-tier.

And also, to anyone I may have hurt, offended, or rubbed the wrong way: I'm sorry.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright so. It's been more than 24 hours since my last post so I can make another.

This may be long, but... I think it's probably for the best I assume Elma's done for. Maybe the presentation (which I won't watch out of anxiety) will have a pleasant surprise, more fighters after Volume 2 AND there's no X content whatsoever. I thought that way expecting Neku Sakuraba, another most wanted of mine, to be shot down in Sephiroth's presentation and by surprise, he wasn't. For what it's worth I also voted for Neku on the ballot. Not Elma cause her game came after the ballot in the west, but Mecha-Fiora was another vote on another then-work computer and she ended up in Shulk's FS.

At the risk of sounding like a sob story, I guess I'll explain everything. I apologize also for my erratic behavior in the past, as it was a way of masking some depression over the years due to irl circumstances which I'll get into shortly.

To me, Elma represents... promises I made. To myself, to friends... I had a pretty rough life so far, especially last decade. Certain events in particular last decade kinda... messed me up. Being bullied in another online community dedicated to an interest of mine that was rather small; feeling anxiety in returning to that niche interest since I feel I'd essentially been chased out; depression after losing a particular friend, first time temporarily and the second permanently (they were toxic all along but still); dealing with my dad's declining health which ended in his death just last year; having several other friends be perpetually AWOL; and losing several other friends due to either things I've did or said when I wasn't thinking; due to shelling up too much; or due to a certain person manipulating me. Some of those friends are friends with my mutual friends and I guess I... don't want my moots to end up picking a side so that hurts too. And living with a somewhat conservative mom who doesn't really believe in psychiatry after several bad experiences. So I sought out as many interests as I could to cope.

Of those friends I seemingly lost, only one seems to have somewhat made up with me/is open to mending bridges - one I considered like a little sister that I met in 2011. She and I deeply bonded so much, we had a lot of the same interests but also the same struggles. I know I got her to play Xenoblade X in 2016, after 4's DLC ended. We bonded over that, and it helped me cause 2016 was rough for me too mentally, for reasons I don't wish to disclose. She knew I supported Fiora for Smash as well and that I voted for her on the ballot. She said, "Hey, what if Fiora and/or Elma make it to Smash?" I thought that'd be cool.

In 2017, she blocked me on all social media suddenly before deactivating. I know she spoke in the past that she was very depressed, almost suicidal, and I did my best to support her, even suggesting a therapist. I at first thought it was something I did or said the days before that probably struck a nerve and didn't realize it and it broke my heart. 2017 was an awful year for me in general.

It was 2 years after that, precisely on the day Etika's body was found, that she DMed me on a now deleted throwaway account on social media explaining that her depression got worse and she shut herself away and even attempted suicide. That it wasn't my fault. I haven't heard from her since, but I hope she's doing better and that she'll one day reach out to me again. I also want to better myself and promise that I'll live my best life. Like Elma said, "Strength comes from experience."

I was hoping that... with the new smash, let alone EVERYONE IS HERE which made me so very happy, I did also vote for Snake on my phone then. But then... Fiora was added to Shulk's Final Smash, so I guess there went that. Chrom seems to be the exception when it comes to FS cameos being playable. So I shifted my support to Elma, maybe picking up a few more supports along the way like Octolings. She didn't make base, which I then thought was her best shot, but then two whole DLC passes happened. So much seemed to be in favor for her - Nintendo remembering X through that news article and putting Elma in 2 with a trailer to boot; Caitlin Glass's NDA announced after the first pass was announced; Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project, the gundam toy, and so much more. But then... there was Sakurai saying this is (more than likely) the last pass and I seriously doubt they'd double dip franchises in the same pass let alone companies (Nintendo being immune to the company rule of course). Which wouldn't be so bad if EVERYONE IS HERE was likely a one time thing. I'm hoping that if this is the end, the sheer sales of Ultimate could convince an Ultimate Deluxe for the hypothetical Super Switch and Elma would still have a shot vs EVERYONE IS HERE AGAIN. but I do also hope that in the event the Super Switch is a long ways off, that Sakurai can make take a brief break then go back to more DLC since Ult did way better than 4 especially in terms of DLC, and they're considering extending the Switch's lifespan. 4 had a lot less DLC cuz let's face it, Wii U was DOA. And probably, Elma's mechanic wouldn't work on a 3DS idk. if not, like I said, crossovers with other Smash characters outside of Smash, like a Project X Zone 3, would be an excellent consolation prize (even though I think it was either the lead writer or programmer that left. idk if they can take up the mantle and continue without that person).

But... I feel like I couldn't keep those promises. So I'll be expecting this to be the end for her and maybe take a sabbatical until the presentation. maybe longer if there is X content and/or they said it will end soon for real. If that's the case I could return if one of my "back up" MWs are confirmed: Octoling from Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion; Ahri from League of Legends; or Reimu Hakurei from Touhou Project. I feel I haven't gotten anyone I was truly excited for this time around. Min Min made me happy, but not that happy. Shulk was I think the last one I actively wanted that was an "S-tier" want. Min Min was probably B-tier.

And also, to anyone I may have hurt, offended, or rubbed the wrong way: I'm sorry.
Dang. I'm sorry you had to go through so much. For what it's worth, I liked interacting with you, even if I didn't agree with all of your opinions (sorry I kept putting Elma's chances down). I can tell you're a good person, and while I may not know you on a personal level, I hope you can overcome whatever it is that's weighing you down. Sorry if I worded that poorly...

Take a break if you need to. This community, while fun, can get VERY stressful. If you need anybody, I'd be willing to at least try to help to the best of my ability. Be it XCX-related, or something else like Balan Wonderworld (I remember you liked my Balan-posting on the General thread). Just know that we're here if you need us.

While I still haven't played X, I'd be more than happy for more Xenoblade content. Elma, Rex, you name it. And people like you have helped me with that, so... thanks for that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dang. I'm sorry you had to go through so much. For what it's worth, I liked interacting with you, even if I didn't agree with all of your opinions (sorry I kept putting Elma's chances down). I can tell you're a good person, and while I may not know you on a personal level, I hope you can overcome whatever it is that's weighing you down. Sorry if I worded that poorly...

Take a break if you need to. This community, while fun, can get VERY stressful. If you need anybody, I'd be willing to at least try to help to the best of my ability. Be it XCX-related, or something else like Balan Wonderworld (I remember you liked my Balan-posting on the General thread). Just know that we're here if you need us.

While I still haven't played X, I'd be more than happy for more Xenoblade content. Elma, Rex, you name it. And people like you have helped me with that, so... thanks for that.
hey, thanks. it means a lot, truly.

and hey, with how Shulk in Smash drove sales to XC3D and XCDE, and Pythra drove sales to XC2... maybe if Smash is still going by then, Elma could be added alongside XCXDE's announcement or something and cause an influx of preorders, or maybe XCXDE happens first, they decide to revisit dlc and... yeah. idk but either way I also want ppl to experience X as a whole. the world, the characters who felt very real and relatable, their stories... X was one of my favorite experiences in gaming and i want more people to experience that too.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I'm really sorry that you went through all that but I don't think you should let a video game drive your anxiety and depression up that much, especially since I don't think Elma is completely dead in the water...at least not for future entries. I supported a XC2 character over Elma because I truly believed it was a "now or never" situation where if they missed the boat for Ultimate, they'd almost certainly never make it in future entries. XCX and Elma most likely do have a future, whether it be a port of the original game or a full blown sequel to X, so her chances of making it into Smash someday can only get stronger from here IMO.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman

That's rough Rie, I'm sorry things have been so tough for you. If you take some time away from here just remember we'd love to hear from you if anything happens with XCX or Elma in the future. I've always enjoyed your presence in this thread, and it was lurking in here before Ultimate launched that convinced me to make an account and start posting about Elma's chances because this communiy was so friendly and helped me appreciate just how much I'd loved XCX back when it came out. Truthfully I'm nervous about the Sakurai event. Elma's mii costume would be dissapointing, and a wonderful relief at the same time. I think I'd rather stay on this crazy speculation ride for now, but if the costume comes to pass, I'm gonna keep a light on for her for the long term.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
As someone who skipped the Wii U era of Nintendo (and wasn't aware of Xenoblade at the time anyway) I just really hope a port of X is coming somewhere down the line. I really want to give it a try. Probably not happening too soon since it wasn't in this direct, but just the fact they put another Xenoblade rep in shows they're still pushing the series, which is a good sign. And almost every other noteworthy Wii U exclusive has been ported already at this point. With all that experience behind them, another port should, in theory, be relatively easy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Briefly interrupting hiatus to bring you this:

Definitely gives more hope for X Definitive, MIGHT give more hope for more Smash DLC even if Sak needs to take a temporary break first. If the latter is true, hope Elma survives this round. Not that I’m expecting more DLC

anyway yeets self back into the void

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Damn...this is some deep stuff.

Well first off, Rie, I can feel you as far as anxiety goes. Though I haven't gone depressed or suicidal myself, I have felt a good chunk of stress in my life. But I wanna let you know, that even with all this going on, even with all those missed chances, that I personally will stand by this cause until Elma is a fully playable character. And I don't care if it's through a Fighters Pass Vol. 3, an Ultimate re-release, or whatever and whenever the next Smash entry is. As long as this goal is up there, I will hold my ground and die standing. Countless people who supported other characters have been through what you've been through. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, they eventually got what they wanted. And yes, I know Elma ain't on par with the likes of those characters, but as long as people have love for her, the idea doesn't truly die.

Mr. Sakurai Presents "Pyra & Mythra" will either be a direct shot or a near miss to Elma for this entry of Smash, but either way, I'm happy to have supported for all this time. Here's hoping it shows us light for now.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Just gonna ramble for a bit here...

I have been doing some reflection after the latest Smash character reveal. I just wanted to say that it is ultimately disappointing that Elma was skipped over. Yes, I am very excited about the inclusion of Pyra and Mythra. I loved Xenoblade 2. I liked Pyra, but especially enjoyed Mythra. Their story arc through the main game and the Torna DLC was compelling. It was super nice to see them overcome their trauma by the end of their journey.

Their inclusion clearly indicates Monolith Soft’s desire to expand the Xenoblade series’ brand image. There is no denying that Xenoblade 2 further solidified Xenoblade as a premier JPRG series on Nintendo consoles, and now we have Pyra and Mythra in Smash to raise awareness around the series. The future is looking bright for the series in general.

I have to say that while there is a 99.98% chance of Elma not being one of the final remaining newcomers of the DLC, I am rather optimistic about her return in general. Hundreds of thousands of fans have been clamoring for a Xenoblade X Switch port for a while now. Once that happens, we can finally look forward to the future and get Xenoblade X2. From there, we can determine whether Elma is still a viable candidate for Smash (either in a new additional Fighters Pass DLC, or in a new Smash game).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just gonna ramble for a bit here...

I have been doing some reflection after the latest Smash character reveal. I just wanted to say that it is ultimately disappointing that Elma was skipped over. Yes, I am very excited about the inclusion of Pyra and Mythra. I loved Xenoblade 2. I liked Pyra, but especially enjoyed Mythra. Their story arc through the main game and the Torna DLC was compelling. It was super nice to see them overcome their trauma by the end of their journey.

Their inclusion clearly indicates Monolith Soft’s desire to expand the Xenoblade series’ brand image. There is no denying that Xenoblade 2 further solidified Xenoblade as a premier JPRG series on Nintendo consoles, and now we have Pyra and Mythra in Smash to raise awareness around the series. The future is looking bright for the series in general.

I have to say that while there is a 99.98% chance of Elma not being one of the final remaining newcomers of the DLC, I am rather optimistic about her return in general. Hundreds of thousands of fans have been clamoring for a Xenoblade X Switch port for a while now. Once that happens, we can finally look forward to the future and get Xenoblade X2. From there, we can determine whether Elma is still a viable candidate for Smash (either in a new additional Fighters Pass DLC, or in a new Smash game).
As per the switch middle of lifespan article I shared, do you suppose if Elma survives this round (no mii of her or X content in the pack) that they could return to Ult down the line? If the team wants to of course

now that I think about it I don’t even think she’d work as a Mii. If Pyra or Mythra have an Elma-based palette though, or Elma’s Spirit appears on their spirit board then welp

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
As per the switch middle of lifespan article I shared, do you suppose if Elma survives this round (no mii of her or X content in the pack) that they could return to Ult down the line? If the team wants to of course

now that I think about it I don’t even think she’d work as a Mii. If Pyra or Mythra have an Elma-based palette though, or Elma’s Spirit appears on their spirit board then welp
If X music isn't featured alongside Pythra, I'm going to assume it's due to copyrighting being too difficult (Which I also assume is why it didn't make it in base game), rather than a genuine interest in returning to it later

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If X music isn't featured alongside Pythra, I'm going to assume it's due to copyrighting being too difficult (Which I also assume is why it didn't make it in base game), rather than a genuine interest in returning to it later
They'd have to fight tooth-and-nail to get some X tracks in this game. I wouldn't put it past them after the music Sephiroth came with.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
They'd have to fight tooth-and-nail to get some X tracks in this game. I wouldn't put it past them after the music Sephiroth came with.
It wouldn't surprise me either way. On way hand they definitely go above and beyond very frequently. On the other hand going to those heights for music from a game for a character that isn't from that game is a hard battle they can excusably avoid

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Dude, the worst timeline possible would be not even having music. Please don't let it end like that...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dude, the worst timeline possible would be not even having music. Please don't let it end like that...
That depends. If they announce more fighters, I’ll still have hope. Otherwise...

you know

I keep going back to the idea of a DLC assist trophy. Like. Min Min introduced a pseudo-limb system, Steve reworked the stages, and Sephiroth gave Cloud a new final smash.

you know

if Pyra/Mythra come with the first ever DLC Assist Trophy:

...Elma...

i will gracefully accept that. She’d be a DLC AT, the first and probably only of her kind, but she’d be in nevertheless

makes me wonder why she wasn’t AT’d in base actually

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
For there to be X music, the following has to happen
  1. Nintendo thinks it's worthwhile to include content from a game not on Switch, that isn't connected to the game(s) they're promoting and may not be revisited in future (while every other Blade game uses the same composers who are already working on Smash and thus trival to work with)
  2. Nintendo has to think that it's worth contacting Sawano to ask, knowing that he is a big name composer and that Smash is a game with a huge audience (both parties night think they're entitled to more than they actually are)
  3. Sawano then agrees and is so easy to work with that they manage to fit X music in without interfering with anything else - budget, memory, song length, licensing, the works.
They've rarely strayed from the source game for content and the exceptions (SNK being easy to work with, 'modern' Persona being it's own franchise) don't bode well for X. I'm not counting on a celebration of Xeno with this next fighter pack. There's diminishing returns for asking a high-profile composer to lend them tracks at reasonable prices so they can be used in a game with an enormous audience to promote a game not even on Switch. I just can't see Nintendo caring.

Still looking forward to seeing just how hard X gets ignored in the Sakurai Presents video, though.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

I think that Nintendo and Sakurai will make a decision soon (if they haven’t done so yet) about extending development on Smash Ultimate. It all depends on how the next Switch “successor” (the “Pro” or whatever you want to call it) is received by the general public. At the beginning of the Switch’s lifecycle, Iwata said their goal was to make the Switch last several generations with hardware updates. If it is well received, then they will continue to expand the Switch brand with no hard reset. If Nintendo decides to go this route now, I think their best course of action is to keep milking Smash Ultimate rather than making a brand new Smash game. IIRC, Sakurai said that working on DLC characters has been an enjoyable experience for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom