• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'll say though, when Elma does end up happening. That will be the biggest "I told you so" moment I've had in ages, and you can bet that I'll gleefully pointing that out at every opportunity.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'll say though, when Elma does end up happening. That will be the biggest "I told you so" moment I've had in ages, and you can bet that I'll gleefully pointing that out at every opportunity.
Friend mustn't count chickens before hatching!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/anniversary20th/

In other news, happy 20th to Monolith Soft. They made a big art work with all their games represented - including, yes, Xenoblade X.

https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/anniversary20th/images/kv.jpg

There's different resolution versions on the page for backgrounds as well, and the bottom of the page actually has copyrights for nearly every Monolith Soft game. Only Xenosaga II and III aren't included (probably because they'd be redundant when Kosmos and Shion are the only XS characters represented), but everything else from Day of Disaster to Torna is there.

Seems like a safe bet that they love all their games even if they don't get equal time in the spotlight.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I

In other news, happy 20th to Monolith Soft. They made a big art work with all their games represented - including, yes, Xenoblade X.

There's different resolution versions on the page for backgrounds as well, and the bottom of the page actually has copyrights for nearly every Monolith Soft game. Only Xenosaga II and III aren't included (probably because they'd be redundant when Kosmos and Shion are the only XS characters represented), but everything else from Day of Disaster to Torna is there.

Seems like a safe bet that they love all their games even if they don't get equal time in the spotlight.
Oh my god Raymond ****ing Bryce is on here I’m amazed.

This artwork is truly incredible, Monolith really has come a long way and I’m glad they’ve become a major development studio for Nintendo and have worked on several major projects for them including Zelda!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Congrats to Monolith on quite the legacy! I find it's pretty cool to see the Xenoblade protags are almost right next to each other!

Interesting though to see only Elma, Lin and Tatsu present but no sign of Cross/Rook. Hooray for Team Tatsu I guess!

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Well, that's certainly nice, but. . . I don't know, the Xenoblade characters really look off to me. Like, what's even going on with Shulk's hair? And Elma seems to be notably lighter-skinned. The art for the characters from 2 is an improvement though

But honestly. . . what?

Still, nice to see Lora actually being included. Really seems like they are going to consider her a fully-fledged protagonist going forward.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's certainly nice, but. . . I don't know, the Xenoblade characters really look off to me. Like, what's even going on with Shulk's hair? And Elma seems to be notably lighter-skinned. The art for the characters from 2 is an improvement though

But honestly. . . what?

Still, nice to see Lora actually being included. Really seems like they are going to consider her a fully-fledged protagonist going forward.
That's because the games “reps” is split from Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 2: The Golden Country of Torna, hence the copyright on that page:

Xenoblade2 黄金の国イーラ
©2017 Nintendo / MONOLITHSOFT

You could also spin it to how Elma, KOS-MOS, Shulk, Fiora, and Tatsu "rep" Xenoblade 2 as well since they are part of the Xenoblade 2 cast be technicality:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Elma needs to happen PURELY for Uncontrollable, and it needs to be vocal version. I want her for her cool design and everything else, but that song NEEDS to be in Smash.
Elma Xenoblade X art 01.jpg

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Elma needs to happen PURELY for Uncontrollable, and it needs to be vocal version. I want her for her cool design and everything else, but that song NEEDS to be in Smash.
View attachment 240563
That design’s art style looks so similar to the smash mural that I could easily imagine it fitting in there somewhere.

Also, heya! Haven’t been here a while due to other stuff, but I’m still hoping for Elma in Smash (as well as more XCX stuff in general).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of art, I was digging through some X stuff on Twitter, and fought some pieces that I thought I might share.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

That's because the games “reps” is split from Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 2: The Golden Country of Torna, hence the copyright on that page:

Xenoblade2 黄金の国イーラ
©2017 Nintendo / MONOLITHSOFT

You could also spin it to how Elma, KOS-MOS, Shulk, Fiora, and Tatsu "rep" Xenoblade 2 as well since they are part of the Xenoblade 2 cast be technicality:
None of that makes the art any better, though. . .

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So decided to play through some Classic Mode routes and guess what I found

Elma’s JP VO, Houko Kuwashima, is in the VO credits. For who, I don’t know, probably an Assist Trophy wait no I believe she’s the JP VO for Mei Ling in Snake’s ported codecs from Brawl

Either way, should make calling her back a snap for Elma, especially if Caitlin Glass (the English VO) is also there...

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So decided to play through some Classic Mode routes and guess what I found

Elma’s JP VO, Houko Kuwashima, is in the VO credits. For who, I don’t know, probably an Assist Trophy wait no I believe she’s the JP VO for Mei Ling in Snake’s ported codecs from Brawl

Either way, should make calling her back a snap for Elma, especially if Caitlin Glass (the English VO) is also there...
Yes, Houko Kuwashima is the japanese VO for Mei Ling in the Brawl-Codecs

Btw. hi everyone. I took a little break from Smash-Speculation. Did i miss anything interesting?

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Btw. hi everyone. I took a little break from Smash-Speculation. Did i miss anything interesting?
Well. . . we went over Caitlin Glass' NDA role once more, as well as Sawano's secret project, to see if maybe they already happened and we didn't notice. In the end, we concluded that we can't be really sure yet, but the tendency for both of these things went towards "hasn't happened yet".
I also managed to convince one (1) person on here of Elma's chances, so there's that.

Abade

Smash Apprentice

Yes, fan art.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76808072

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/77112446

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76910197
1570631186467.jpeg

1570631226779.jpeg

1570631247784.jpeg

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76053579
Also Monolith Soft celebrated their 20th anniversary.
Well. . . we went over Caitlin Glass' NDA role once more, as well as Sawano's secret project, to see if maybe they already happened and we didn't notice. In the end, we concluded that we can't be really sure yet, but the tendency for both of these things went towards "hasn't happened yet".
I also managed to convince one (1) person on here of Elma's chances, so there's that.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, I got something new for once, though it's not relating to Elma's chances or our Smash speculation in general.
Remember how a while ago, I made an attempt to create a Smash-style render of Elma using her model from 2? Well, I did some more tinkering with shaders and the like in the program that I used for this, and I got a better result, I feel. Though I should mention that this picture is a bit of a compromise, since I'm having some trouble actually rendering pictures right now (which is also the main reason why the background isn't transparent).

Elma.png

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Well, I got something new for once, though it's not relating to Elma's chances or our Smash speculation in general.
Remember how a while ago, I made an attempt to create a Smash-style render of Elma using her model from 2? Well, I did some more tinkering with shaders and the like in the program that I used for this, and I got a better result, I feel. Though I should mention that this picture is a bit of a compromise, since I'm having some trouble actually rendering pictures right now (which is also the main reason why the background isn't transparent).

View attachment 241442
Looks pretty cool. I like it. :)

I hope we find out who the last fighters pass character is when we get Terry....and maybe, just maybe we see what the plan for the future dlc is. I hope they at least tell us if it's another fighters pass or something. That would be enough for me.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I hope we find out who the last fighters pass character is when we get Terry....and maybe, just maybe we see what the plan for the future dlc is. I hope they at least tell us if it's another fighters pass or something. That would be enough for me.
Oh, thank you for actually posting something here. I was already afraid that I'd have to double post to show this off:

ElmaOtherTransparentBG.png

Also, for contrast, my original take on this:

E1.png
I hope I'm not alone in thinking that her facial expression in the newer one is better than the one in the older one?

Anyway, to actually respond to your message - I honestly hope the same. Also that the release and the. . . whatever they use to talk about Terry happens early on in the month.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I currently have two theories on that. First, they show off Terry in November and announce Fighter 5 at the Game Awards. Second (and not as likely), they announce Fighter 5 after showing off Terry, and then show off the next character (have we established if this Fighter Pass 2 or not?) at the Game Awards. Either way, I expect SOMETHING at the Game Awards, given how last year went.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
It might just be me, but I feel like Nintendo use the Game Awards as their sole opportunity to reach out to non-Nintendo fans, at least in recent years, with announcements like Bayonetta 1-3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker in Smash, so I think that if they do announce a character at TGA then it'll be one with wide appeal in the whole gaming space (personally I'm hoping to see Resident Evil or Dark Souls fill that space).

As for Fighter 5 for the pass, I honestly think it's a good opportunity for a low key character to show up. At this point how many people are going to pick up the pass due to the identity of character 5? and if it is a huge character, you've already sold it to so many people over the course of the last year that'd it'd really be a waste of money. It's really a shame I have feel this way but I'm fairly certain a lot of you agree that Elma could very well be seen as 'Low-key' despite the demand for her being stronger than I think people realise.

At any rate, I do think it's possible we'll see character announcements both in November AND December, but that December will be the bigger of the two in terms of wide spread appeal.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
It might just be me, but I feel like Nintendo use the Game Awards as their sole opportunity to reach out to non-Nintendo fans, at least in recent years, with announcements like Bayonetta 1-3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker in Smash, so I think that if they do announce a character at TGA then it'll be one with wide appeal in the whole gaming space (personally I'm hoping to see Resident Evil or Dark Souls fill that space).

As for Fighter 5 for the pass, I honestly think it's a good opportunity for a low key character to show up. At this point how many people are going to pick up the pass due to the identity of character 5? and if it is a huge character, you've already sold it to so many people over the course of the last year that'd it'd really be a waste of money. It's really a shame I have feel this way but I'm fairly certain a lot of you agree that Elma could very well be seen as 'Low-key' despite the demand for her being stronger than I think people realise.

At any rate, I do think it's possible we'll see character announcements both in November AND December, but that December will be the bigger of the two in terms of wide spread appeal.
What would be cool of them is having another live performance of Uncontrollable at the Game Awards.
They did asked for what kind of music should be played there.
They did it with other songs before such as Metal Gear Quiet’s theme I believe.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
What would be cool of them is having another live performance of Uncontrollable at the Game Awards.
They did asked for what kind of music should be played there.
They did it with other songs before such as Metal Gear Quiet’s theme I believe.
Wow. That was pretty awesome! Didn't know that this was a thing. Now i really want to see this at the game awards and now im going to disappointed if it isn't happening (not really lol).

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
In other news Nintendo have posted a update schedule for Daemon X Machina that includes a collaboration event in early November which will involve new Outer content added to the game (Outers are the human pilots you play as, not the mechs themselves). There's a ton of things it could be of course but when I think of mechs and Nintendo I tend to think of XCX.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It might not be crossing over with another mech focused series in the first place. Could be cross-promotion for another Marvelous published title or a grabbag of Nintendo franchises (since it was promoted in Smash after all). Still, it'd be great if it ended up being some of X's armor designs getting in. A fair few of the XBX artists/posters I follow on Twitter seem to enjoy the game so there's probably enough overlap for it to be worth it.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's why I pointed out it was Outer stuff and not Arsenal stuff, I could easily see it being from an anime or something. At any rate it's something to speculate about for a few weeks at most.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
But would it really be a good thing to have Xenoblade X as a crosspromotion in Daemon X Machina?

I mean, Daemon X Machina was not very well received, and would it be a good idea to associated Xenoblade X with it now, marketing wise?

If it was xenoblade X only, I would not approve anymore given Machina reception, unfortunately. But if was like, Zelda, Metroid and Xenoblade X crosspromotion ( I know Zelda don't make sense, but bare with me a bit more), I would be okay, because if anyone tried to say things like "fitting, the forgotten Xenoblade game together with that average mecha game", other renowned franchises like Zelda and Metroid would be there too in the mix, and could be particularly used as counter argument.

I am not saying I think X Machina is average, I don't even have the game. I am just showing concern with Xenoblade X imagine, since Monolith and Smash has already been screwing it enough lately.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Daemon X is niche; for the audience it's specifically catered to, it is excellent at what it does (especially its co-op content). A Xenoblade X collaboration (Skells) being in Daemon X would benefit both series. It'll put X in the spotlight again in some capacity, and X will be in a game that's potentially a robot equivalent of Smash Bros, as far as collabs go. I mean, I've already seen a picture of Nirvash (Eureka 7) in the game.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sorry to abruptly change the subject, but:
Sometimes, you just gotta do these things yourself.

(Don't really like how my render of her looks next to Terry - makes it look like her skin tone was lightened, when it's really just how the lighting came out.)
(And if this image doesn't display properly, then I guess this site really is being stupid again)

Edit: Yeah, website is being stupid. Just quote my message to see the picture, then.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Much rather have X getting exposure in a game that was well received as that would be much more beneficial.

Anyways, it seems Soraya Saga wont be RT directs anymore, which is crompreensible since, even websites were starting to make articles about the possibility of Monolith stuff every time she RT one direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Much rather have X getting exposure in a game that was well received as that would be much more beneficial.

Anyways, it seems Soraya Saga wont be RT directs anymore, which is crompreensible since, even websites were starting to make articles about the possibility of Monolith stuff every time she RT one direct.
Did she say that more recently? Cause she DID retweet the direct announcement with Terry, cause it also had Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition at the end

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Did she say that more recently? Cause she DID retweet the direct announcement with Terry, cause it also had Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition at the end
She did.

We can still wait with anticipation for another Yuichiro Takeda (writer for XB1/2/X) , Masashiro Sakurai (Smash Director), and/or Saito Masatsugu (XB2's character artist) retweet for later announcements.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
She did.

We can still wait with anticipation for another Yuichiro Takeda (writer for XB1/2/X) , Masashiro Sakurai (Smash Director), and/or Saito Masatsugu (XB2's character artist) retweet for later announcements.
Of course, this does kinda lead to the question as to why she decided that now, of all times. It has been over a month since the Direct that announced XBDE, and there currently aren't any noteworthy things coming up that we know of. Or did she retweet an announcement of a more low-key Japanese event like Nintendo Live that got people speculating again?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Gentlemen, I have a little something for y’all.
I just thought that the Welsh cat girl with the Smash swordsmen doing that “all blades surrounding one individual” was apropos in our situation, and raising Elma as a response warranted a mention here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thinking back, didn’t Soraya retweet the pass announcement, Rex’s costume was revealed there, and she later said “don’t read too much into my retweets”?

if she’s going full lock down... then maybe...

as a side note, Sakurai’s retweet of that one recent tourney/Terry on the banner, he used the kanji for the word “ninja” as a euphemism for sneaking or something. Some people think this is a hint for Hayabusa or something, I can’t find the original tweet...

then again I’m in the minority that thinks it’s mere coincidence

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Thinking back, didn’t Soraya retweet the pass announcement, Rex’s costume was revealed there, and she later said “don’t read too much into my retweets”?

I honestly wouldn't know, I never followed her tweets that closely. Maybe someone could look that up?
I will say though, if this does lead to where we all hope it leads. . . damn, that would be one massive backfiring on her part. Going into lockdown mode to avoid spoilering, only to essentially spoiler it by doing just that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In a way it would be a perfect book end to bring things full circle. Opened with Xenoblade content (Rex costume), and ended with Xenoblade content (playable Elma)

Sigman

Smash Cadet

as a side note, Sakurai’s retweet of that one recent tourney/Terry on the banner, he used the kanji for the word “ninja” as a euphemism for sneaking or something. Some people think this is a hint for Hayabusa or something, I can’t find the original tweet...

then again I’m in the minority that thinks it’s mere coincidence
“Sneaking” apply to a lot of characters, it applies to characters like Sam Fisher or Elma as well.

Top Bottom