• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Haven't been active with Elma at all, but umm here have some "I'm bored let me kill time" thing. She's brought up and warrants a spot enough that I included her.
nintendo tug of war.png

Maybe the delay is cause Elma really is putting up a fight and they almost got Sakurai pulled in on the other side. <3

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It's demo booths for Ultimate, but that's all we (the public) know.
And all this secrecy for that? How disappointing. At this point, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered the demo for download. . . although that would also mean that it'd take dataminers maybe ten minutes to reveal the full roster.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Haven't been active with Elma at all, but umm here have some "I'm bored let me kill time" thing. She's brought up and warrants a spot enough that I included her.
View attachment 170470

Maybe the delay is cause Elma really is putting up a fight and they almost got Sakurai pulled in on the other side. <3
D’aww, Dee is cheering Elma on >w<

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
And all this secrecy for that? How disappointing. At this point, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered the demo for download. . . although that would also mean that it'd take dataminers maybe ten minutes to reveal the full roster.
I think they will have a direct that announces all the remaining characters along with a demo, just so that they beat the dataminers to the punch.

I feel like there has been a lot of negative news surrounding Xenoblade, mostly from Monolith, although I know it's PR speak and not necessarily what's happening in the background. No Xenoblade X in the works, no plans for Xenoblade 3 and no plans for a second season pass or additional dlc for Xenoblade 2 following Torna - and seemingly nothing new in Smash.

My hopes for Elma are slowly lowering. And from my point of view, if Elma isn't in the base game, I have to jump ship and start voting for Pneuma when the inevitable ballot releases.

NathanEshwar

Smash Rookie
Incredible, truly amazing, but I do agree with some of the post above that she should be standing straighter to further show off her strong, confident, determined personality, as well as her leadership characteristics. But other than that, I really love the render, and I think you did a great job. You mentioned your working on other characters, are you open for requests after you finish them?

Depends. I am currently majoring in Animation right now, So I think it could be best for a portfolio in this case, as far as I know me working on other characters would depend on whether they are fighter material. But what would you want to see from me, and I may look into it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Depends. I am currently majoring in Animation right now, So I think it could be best for a portfolio in this case, as far as I know me working on other characters would depend on whether they are fighter material. But what would you want to see from me, and I may look into it.
Amaterasu from Okami.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I don't know all the details (hopefully someone more informed on this can give further info), but apparently an XC2 song has been leaked by Crunchii--someone who recently leaked and uploaded the menu song for Smash Ultimate.

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1053094286911098880
Crunchii didn't leak the Menu Theme it was given to them. PushDustIn was given it too with permission from Nintendo.

This is exciting if this means a Xenoblade newcomer though!!! Although we should be careful in case Crunchii is just trolling.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I'm assuming it's just for next week's blog, and nothing like a character reveal right?
If it's a remix, possibly.

Either way, I'm not expecting an XC2 character in the base roster, but possible for DLC.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don't know all the details (hopefully someone more informed on this can give further info), but apparently an XC2 song has been leaked by Crunchii--someone who recently leaked and uploaded the menu song for Smash Ultimate.

If we’re getting a Xenoblade 2 soundtrack...

I think the possibility of Rex and Pyra despite being very high just skyrocketed again for DLC.

Interesting stuff.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Including music isn't as hard as including characters, so I'm not surprised to see some tracks from XC2. It makes me even more confident in the presence of XCX music/content that for some reason has been kept under secret until now...

Calamitas

Smash Champion

So wait, which exact song is that? I'm not too familiar with the names of the XBC2 songs, since I didn't care much for a good number of them.

Including music isn't as hard as including characters, so I'm not surprised to see some tracks from XC2. It makes me even more confident in the presence of XCX music/content that for some reason has been kept under secret until now...
If anything, I could imagine this being like how Super Mario 3D World was represented in Smash 4: Non-remixed songs, and nothing else, since it was presumably too recent. I'd be quite surprised if the XBC2 song was a remix.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So wait, which exact song is that? I'm not too familiar with the names of the XBC2 songs, since I didn't care much for a good number of them.

If anything, I could imagine this being like how Super Mario 3D World was represented in Smash 4: Non-remixed songs, and nothing else, since it was presumably too recent. I'd be quite surprised if the XBC2 song was a remix.
If I'm not mistaken this should be the track in question
https://youtu.be/5PakU-DsMrw
Which is the Battle Theme against Unique Monsters IIRC.

And yeah, I also doubt it is going to be a remix. But this shows that they are taking things from other Xenoblade games besides the Wii one, so hopefully content from X is also featured (and hold back to be revealed alongside Elma).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Manon isn't in Ultimate Sakurai has FAILED US.

I just really like that song okay

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Yeah. I really hope the reason they've held back on anything related to XCX is because of Elma.
There's just no way they'd pass up on either XCX and XC2's top notch soundtracks.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Ok, confession time: while everyone seems to hate the Ma-nons, I actually really like them. I find them cute with their acute voice and unhealty passion for pizza.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I find the Ma-nons incredibly silly in a good way. They make the most entertaining side quests.....................................
They also made my favorite armor with their brand (Candid & Credible) so...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I always felt that the hatred for the Ma-non was kinda overblown. I mean, you only really hear them talk in what, three cutscenes or so? And after that, the only thing you ever get in terms of their voices is some small voice clips while walking through NLA. And yet, everyone someone treats them as the first vocal coming of Rex.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The Manon were like an alien race of Donatellos (TMNT) with the voice of Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks. Socially awkward, intelligent, REALLY loved pizza, etc. There wasn't much to dislike, IMO. And yeah, I spent a lot of time jumping around in that ship looking for explosive lobsters and listening to that catchy song lol. I'd be down if the song was in Smash; can't reiterate how solid X's OST is. Sakurai is teasing us with this drought. D:

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Manon get a raw deal. They're the first Xenos to interact with NLA in a non-hostile way, so everyone takes out their pent-up Ganglion hatred on them despite how illogical it is. They're non-hostile, willingly share their tech and consume tons of human culture. They'd probably be the ideal first contact race and humanity still manages to have ****ty interactions with them. Ackwar in particular makes me upset since he can end up dead, which sends a bad precedent for how non-human BLADEs will be treated.

And considering how much pizza I ate while playing XCX on launch week they resonated with me a ton.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I'm not a Xenoblade fan and have no personal attatchment to Elma. I do hope you guys get your character in. If she used a mech suit in game I would definitely try her out. I don't want to be added to the support list but I do wish you all the best of luck.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
While I'm not a Xenoblade fan and have no personal attatchment to Elma. I do hope you guys get your character in. If she used a mech suit in game I would definitely try her out. I don't want to be added to the support list but I do wish you all the best of luck.
Thanks. It's nice to see some sympathy from someone extern Elma's fanbase since, as I've pointed out some pages back, we have been pushed aside a lot. From "Rex and Pyra are surely going to be the new Xenoblade rep, no one cares about X" to "Screw you all the newcomers will be from the Ballot, get lost you minor characters" to end with "There are only two to three slots left, no way Sakurai is wasting one for Elma when he can add much better characters like Geno or Banjo".

So really, thank you.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Thanks. It's nice to see some sympathy from someone extern Elma's fanbase since, as I've pointed out some pages back, we have been pushed aside a lot. From "Rex and Pyra are surely going to be the new Xenoblade rep, no one cares about X" to "Screw you all the newcomers will be from the Ballot, get lost you minor characters" to end with "There are only two to three slots left, no way Sakurai is wasting one for Elma when he can add much better characters like Geno or Banjo".

So really, thank you.
I feel like Banjo stands no chance. Remember Nintendo used to own Banjo, but they sold the character. They weren't in any trouble when they did this, they just didn't want the character and Microsoft did, so they made the sale. So the question isn't: 'are Microsoft willing to let Nintendo use Banjo?' But 'are Nintendo willing to ask Microsoft for Banjo?' I don't think enough people want Banjo or even know who he is, for Sakurai to justify making the deal.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, do you think the Caitlin Glass tweets could be a strike against Elma? I feel like her saying out right that she wants Elma in smash would be some kind of strike against an NDA. Just speculating on it, I hope not though, she’s my most wanted new comer.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hey guys, do you think the Caitlin Glass tweets could be a strike against Elma? I feel like her saying out right that she wants Elma in smash would be some kind of strike against an NDA. Just speculating on it, I hope not though, she’s my most wanted new comer.
I don't, personally. Skye Bennet (Pyra/Mythra) outright confirmed that she had not been contacted for Smash, and Caitlin has been much more vague. Her saying that it would be cool to see Elma in Smash is just her opinion. Same with her saying that Elma's her most wanted newcomer.

Also, it seems a little strange to have her fly to a recording studio in the U.K. to do only a few voice lines for 2's DLC. If she hadn't already done her lines, then that would've been a prime spot for her to record them/redo them. Plus, who knows how far in advance VAs are contacted? I would assume that it's fairly close to launch to avoid potential spoilers. If anyone knows anything about the process, I'd love to hear it.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I don't, personally. Skye Bennet (Pyra/Mythra) outright confirmed that she had not been contacted for Smash, and Caitlin has been much more vague. Her saying that it would be cool to see Elma in Smash is just her opinion. Same with her saying that Elma's her most wanted newcomer.

Also, it seems a little strange to have her fly to a recording studio in the U.K. to do only a few voice lines for 2's DLC. If she hadn't already done her lines, then that would've been a prime spot for her to record them/redo them. Plus, who knows how far in advance VAs are contacted? I would assume that it's fairly close to launch to avoid potential spoilers. If anyone knows anything about the process, I'd love to hear it.
Generally Voice Actors can be contacted from 6 months or more before a game actually releases, from what I've seen, pattern-wise.
And you're right, with how little lines she has in XC2 it's very likely she recorded some lines for Smash as well with Adam Howden and Carina Reeves. (Remember, we had Fiora added to Shulk's Final Smash... so Shulk has to be rerecorded to fit her name in as well as Fiora needing to have a voice line with Riki and Dunban.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Shulk and Elma have victory screen shout outs to each other, either.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Generally Voice Actors can be contacted from 6 months or more before a game actually releases, from what I've seen, pattern-wise.
And you're right, with how little lines she has in XC2 it's very likely she recorded some lines for Smash as well with Adam Howden and Carina Reeves. (Remember, we had Fiora added to Shulk's Final Smash... so Shulk has to be rerecorded to fit her name in as well as Fiora needing to have a voice line with Riki and Dunban.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Shulk and Elma have victory screen shout outs to each other, either.
You know what, more characters need special victory quotes, not just Robin, Lucina, Fox, and Falco.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
You know what, more characters need special victory quotes, not just Robin, Lucina, Fox, and Falco.
It wouldn't be far-fetched to say we're highly likely to see a lot more special victory quotes between series with extensive voice acting.

aarchak

Smash Ace
It wouldn't be far-fetched to say we're highly likely to see a lot more special victory quotes between series with extensive voice acting.
I hope so. One of my favorite things in fighting games is seeing special interactions between characters. One of my favorites:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Yeah, hopefully I'm right in the character interaction between Shulk and Elma. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, how are we feeling about a possible Direct next week? There are rumors circling around that the Nintendo Live event that Sakurai retweeted will have a demo of the game with ALL characters in it. And if that's true, we'd be looking at a possible reveal before or during that event.

The lull between Isabelle and this possible direct has been a really tough one. I've been out of the loop a lot because of it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena have them too. And Wolf probably has one with Fox and Falco. The other potential victory quote I want is Chrom against Robin and Lucina.

So, fun question: What would Elma’s special quote be against Shulk and Rex?

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't think there's going to be another reveal until late October.

Wait, it's already the 20th? WHAT
Where did October go? And are we seriously going to go a month without a reveal?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Also, it seems a little strange to have her fly to a recording studio in the U.K. to do only a few voice lines for 2's DLC. If she hadn't already done her lines, then that would've been a prime spot for her to record them/redo them.
Let's also not forget that Elma is weirdly isolated in terms of her voice lines in 2. What I mean is, none of the other characters or Blades got any new voice lines that specifically refer to or interact with her, not even Shulk, Fiora or Rex. Even the big "everyone is here" scene after you beat her challenges is completely unvoiced, which all kinda implies that Caitlin Glass did her voice recordings seperate from everyone else who did stuff for XBC2. And that in turn could mean. . .

I don't really see that myself. What would they even say to each other?
No, if Elma gets unique victory lines, they'd have to be for another X character, like a Cross/Rook Echo, for example.

Honestly, I don't think there's going to be another reveal until late October.

Wait, it's already the 20th? WHAT
Where did October go? And are we seriously going to go a month without a reveal?
Well, Sakurai did say that reveals would slow down. But on the other hand - the month isn't over yet.

Top Bottom