• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Also we would have heard of it by now, since Wednesday Directs are usually revealed the Friday prior, and in particular Smash Directs have always been annunced several days before the actual airing.
The 8/8 Direct was announced on Sunday and still aired on Wednesday, though.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The 8/8 Direct was announced on Sunday and still aired on Wednesday, though.
That was because of EVO, and there isn't any event like that this weekend.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That was because of EVO, and there isn't any event like that this weekend.
Well there is The Big House 8, but it's nowhere near as a big deal as EVO is, so it's unlikely there'd be an announcement there.

At the very least, I no longer think it's Base Or Bust for Elma, since the next Xenoblade in development I'm VERY sure is X part 2. I fully expect an upgraded Switch port for X soon too.

inb4 it's titled Xenoblade Chronicles X Ultimate Edition

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well there is The Big House 8, but it's nowhere near as a big deal as EVO is, so it's unlikely there'd be an announcement there.

At the very least, I no longer think it's Base Or Bust for Elma, since the next Xenoblade in development I'm VERY sure is X part 2. I fully expect an upgraded Switch port for X soon too.

inb4 it's titled Xenoblade Chronicles X Ultimate Edition
An updated port? So we'll finally be able to adjust the bust si-*shot...looks to the bullet shaped hole next to me*

*ahem* I-I mean it all depends what they do. They could release XBX first, and give it DLC and expansion passes like XB2, or wait for XBX2 to come out and make XBX a free digital download (or hopefully cartridge) like they did for Bayonetta 2 for Switch.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Nintendo NY is gonna have a private event starting an hour early, tomorrow. I REALLY doubt it means anything, but it could lead in to an announcement.

...God I just hope she’s announced soon :c

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
An updated port? So we'll finally be able to adjust the bust si-*shot...looks to the bullet shaped hole next to me*

*ahem* I-I mean it all depends what they do. They could release XBX first, and give it DLC and expansion passes like XB2, or wait for XBX2 to come out and make XBX a free digital download (or hopefully cartridge) like they did for Bayonetta 2 for Switch.
Going the bayo 2 method would be kinda ridiculous and I'd rather a straight up port instead, Xenoblade X is a long ass game so packing in 2 would probably be overwhelming for many players.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Going the bayo 2 method would be kinda ridiculous and I'd rather a straight up port instead, Xenoblade X is a long *** game so packing in 2 would probably be overwhelming for many players.
You know, that reminds me of this idea I posted on this thread way back, but I'll just say it again for everyone new to this thread: if Xenoblade X gets ported to the Switch before Xenoblade X2 is released, do you think you can place your X1 Avatar in X2 similarly to how Dragon Ball Xenoverse did it with their Time Patrollers?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, that reminds me of this idea I posted on this thread way back, but I'll just say it again for everyone new to this thread: if Xenoblade X gets ported to the Switch before Xenoblade X2 is released, do you think you can place your X1 Avatar in X2 similarly to how Dragon Ball Xenoverse did it with their Time Patrollers?
It would kinda be too OP if it carried over your level and weapons too...if X2 retains the class system, at least transfer over all the class arts and skills you've learned.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Well, first of all, I think X HAS to be ported before X2. I think releasing X2 before X1 on Switch would just alienate a good chunk of people.

And, yes, I do think they would let you transfer your cross to X2.
Seeing as how the X series has built itself up on customization I doubt they'd go without that.

I don't think it would let you transfer your level progression, art/skill levels and all that. I think you'll return to a blank slate, without any of your armor or anything like that.

But I think it could perhaps give you a bonus of some kind, like, maybe some extra starting money, or extra items, idk.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think it really depends on how they'd approach a sequel. The two options I see is are that either it's still set in NLA with all the characters from the original, and the other, which I personally think could be more interesting, would be if there was another ark ship that landed on Mira, you start the game from there, and meet the cast of NLA only after that.
For the former, I'd see the avatar's design and outfit being carried over, with the outfit being just made seperate from the gear that it actually is, and being rebranded "[Avatar name]'s Wear", kinda like how Elma's outfit is a armour set is visually identical to a set you can just buy. Things like weapons then wouldn't be barried over, and level and aquired skills would then just be reset.
For the latter, everything could just carry over. Kinda like how you can carry over your party from the original Golden Sun to The Lost Age.

Speaking of a hypothetical X2, though, how do you all think they could implement crossover appearances like in 2? 2 obviously had the entire Blade system, making it pretty easy to introduce character cameos like Elma, Shulk, Fiora and KOS-MOS, but how could that work in a X2, assuming that it still has the same (or at least a similar) battle system?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I wouldn't want any crossovers that detract too much from the actual game, and bringing over characters to act as party members when XCX already had a bloated cast of potential party members is kinda a problem. Shulk, I love you, but if part of playing the game is unlocking a bunch of characters' stories and you need them to be in your party to increase affinity, you're sitting the bench unless you come with your own stories.

Likewise, a Blade system doesn't make much sense in the context of the world of Mira... maybe a Blade-like system that actually has you utilize other party members that you can rotate controlling could work for gameplay purposes, but wouldn't make sense in an XCX way. An XCX sequel that plays much more similarly to XC and XC2 would be fun (slower combat, focus on Break-Topple-Launch-Smash combos), but it would be kinda disloyal to XCX. I'd like to see a more evolved version of the Soul Voice system that has your party members use more reliable combos when you fulfill certain criteria or maybe something that would let you jump between characters to do the combos yourself. That'd probably mean that, however, we'd get back to the four-ish party members per team, and there really wouldn't be room for the likes of Shulk and the gang, especially when we'd get new characters and would still like to see some of the XCX ones like Lin, Gwin, Tatsu, and people's personal favorites like Phog or the Murderess.

I honestly can't think of a good crossover mechanic as in depth as XC2's unless you're just talking bonus fights.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm currently struggling to get my party members all kept up in levels and in stories, and the 18 extra party members you get makes it more difficult to get all off them up and ready. I've already had to get everyone up to date on levels twice and that process took an hour each. For XCX2, I could do for either less party members (like only 10 or so) or just making it easier to use all of them.

As for the combat system, refinements to the combat system instead of changing it entirely like XC2 did would be appreciated. I love XCX's combat system, but it needs refinement in some places. Soul voices should be more unique to each party member (and not just the quotes, the effects), and everyone's soul voices should be customizable. Aggro management seriously needs to be a thing. The only vestige of in in XCX was Taunt, and even then it required the player to do it since the AI could not ever manage aggro. The fact that there was only one tank class and one support class didn't help. Seriously, every class except Shield Trooper and Psycorruptor was a DPS class, all with varying ways of mitigating damage. Also, GIVE US NEW WEAPONS. I so want to see what new things new weapons can offer. Give us gauntlets, or a rocket launcher. That would be awesome. Stagger/Topple wasn't really important in XCX, make Break/Topple/Daze chains more prominent. Also, timers for buffs and debuffs need to be there.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Party members in XBX were mostly just ways to try out other builds because they could never be as useful as the Avatar. On that note, they could make party members in XBX2 less like party members and more like.. glorified arts. You know how in XB2 you can hit L or R to get them to use a Blade Special? Something like that where party members have one thing they're really good at (draw aggro, heal, hand out buff) and you can tell them when to do it. In a sense this would make the game more about your MC doing all the fighting while party members support them, which is what X already was.
Of course you'd still get their affinity missions, they'd still have signature arts to teach you and they'd be fully fleshed out characters. You help them out, they help you out. It's just that in the context of gameplay, success or failure depends on you (and your ability to utilize teammate strength).

For crossover stuff they could always just do another Land of Challenge. To make it fit in X more it could be based on an actual continent from a previous Xeno game that you can explore, and make a bunch of neat sidequests to get you to explore it. Something like the Bionis's Left Shoulder (modelled and fleshed out but unused in XB1) could be the setting, but you'd get quests like "track down 100 red lobsters", "fight Rex and Pyra here" etc. They could take advantage of it to explore elements of the game's settings, like playing with the Telethia connection in 1/X. And obviously previous game characters would make up your party member pool there.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So apparently a random Nintendo Life user claimed to have sources about Ultimate and said that Elma is among the remaining characters, with Headwater Cavern as her stage, and his message was deleted. While I am not sure how trustworthy or realiable this is seeing Elma's name popping up in leaks is nice at the very least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhibgqNy0Bw

Also it provides a new topic for her stage, what would you think about Headwater Cavern?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Headwater Cavern... Can't say I'm super excited about a Primordia stage and a cavern at that. BUT! Headwater Cavern is right near Biahno Lake, the site of one of XCX's best sidequest chains. Will the stage gimmick be a life-and-death choice about whether you should let Mario take a shower? Probably not. You might get the Orphean security robots and the guy who tries to poison NLA with voltant, at best. Still, a stage that incorporates references to a sidequest would be GOAT.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Headwater Cavern... Can't say I'm super excited about a Primordia stage and a cavern at that. BUT! Headwater Cavern is right near Biahno Lake, the site of one of XCX's best sidequest chains. Will the stage gimmick be a life-and-death choice about whether you should let Mario take a shower? Probably not. You might get the Orphean security robots and the guy who tries to poison NLA with voltant, at best. Still, a stage that incorporates references to a sidequest would be GOAT.
Man, that side quest was pure gold! I loved it so much, epecially for how it builds up during the whole game.

also thinking about it I would say that a cavern would be a good representation for XCX since those hidden tunnels in the mountains were a big part of the whole "explore every inch of the map" aspect of the game. But I hope it doesn't looks too boring considering the amazing views and landscapes XCX provided.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So apparently a random Nintendo Life user claimed to have sources about Ultimate and said that Elma is among the remaining characters, with Headwater Cavern as her stage, and his message was deleted. While I am not sure how trustworthy or realiable this is seeing Elma's name popping up in leaks is nice at the very least:

Also it provides a new topic for her stage, what would you think about Headwater Cavern?
Well that’s certainly interesting!

I don’t think many people would call a stage for Ema, let alone naming one like that. Interesting that “leaks” whether really or otherwise a starting to mention Zelma as we’re coming closer to launch.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I'm calling that rumor fake. :facepalm:

I just don't see why Sakurai would pick a cavern location to represent Xenoblade X. Firstly, it's not an iconic location like Primordia, Sylvalum, NLA, etc. Secondly, we already have at least one cavern stage (the name escapes me, but it's that enormous stage from the Kirby series).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I just don't see why Sakurai would pick a cavern location to represent Xenoblade X. Firstly, it's not an iconic location like Primordia, Sylvalum, NLA, etc. Secondly, we already have at least one cavern stage (the name escapes me, but it's that enormous stage from the Kirby series).
The Great Cave Offensive.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

It's fake, that stage selection and the heroes VS villains theme give it away for me...
Though I think they're pretty spot on in terms of the characters (They are almost my exact predictions. Though I have Shadow as an echo).

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That leak doesn't sound very legitimate, but hey, it's nice hearing someone claim Elma's in. It's also nice to see them post an actual stage, but. . .Headwater Cavern? Really? This place?

HeadwaterCavern.jpg

X has a lot of visually impressive and beautiful locations. . . and let's be honest, most caves aren't one of them.

Oh, speaking of that. While I was at it, I did take a bit of a tour on Mira, and take pictures of various locations that I feel could make for nice Smash stages:

First, there's these cranes on the outer part of NLA. They'd provide a good view of the city, and its most striking landmark, the BLADE Tower is in clear view.

PossibleSmashStage12.jpg

Next up, my personal favourite, the floating islands near Tallon Rock, which provide an even better view of the full city, as well as some more of Primordia itself. The edge of Tallon Rock would admittedly be a bit in the way, but I imagine for a Smash stage, that could be moved out of the way.

PossibleSmashStage1.jpg

Then I got the two big floating islands over in Oblivia - I'm not really sure which one of them would be best suited, so I took pictures of the view from both of them, as well as pictures of the islands themselves.

PossibleSmashStage2.jpg

PossibleSmashStage3.jpg

PossibleSmashStage4.jpg

PossibleSmashStage5.jpg

For Sylvalum, I also got two possible locations: First, the peak just north of the eastern part of Lake Ciel, and second, one of these huge bow things that are all over the place, with a good view of the lake.

PossibleSmashStage6.jpg

PossibleSmashStage7.jpg

Then, for Cauldros, one of these floating mining stations would probably be best suited, so I went with one just off the west coast of the continent.

PossibleSmashStage8.jpg

PossibleSmashStage9.jpg

And lastly, for Noctilum. . . I admittedly didn't have much of an idea. Anything near the Divine Roost would be cool, but there's not structure in-game that would really work for that, unless they moved these gigantic branches and leaves over there. Instead, I simply went with the wooden pathways around the middle path of the continent.

PossibleSmashStage11.jpg

Any thoughts on these?

For crossover stuff they could always just do another Land of Challenge. To make it fit in X more it could be based on an actual continent from a previous Xeno game that you can explore, and make a bunch of neat sidequests to get you to explore it. Something like the Bionis's Left Shoulder (modelled and fleshed out but unused in XB1) could be the setting, but you'd get quests like "track down 100 red lobsters", "fight Rex and Pyra here" etc. They could take advantage of it to explore elements of the game's settings, like playing with the Telethia connection in 1/X. And obviously previous game characters would make up your party member pool there.
This second idea would be pretty cool, actually. The party members of the original Xenoblade would also work pretty well as (initially?) challenge-exclusive party members, considering the similarities of the fighting style in 1 to the on-foot fighting style in X.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
That leak is most likely fake but I'd take any dang stage if it means Elma's in.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice

Maybe a place like this would be less work to do, I could see that be real just for that even it's not the best way to represent X.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've never actually played Xenoblade Chronicles X, but from what I've seen of Elma in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (a game which I have spent who knows how long playing), I certainly wouldn't mind seeing her become playable, even though I would rather see Rex & Pyra, but hey, there's always DLC, right? Mind if I join in as a supporter?

aarchak

Smash Ace
That leak doesn't sound very legitimate, but hey, it's nice hearing someone claim Elma's in. It's also nice to see them post an actual stage, but. . .Headwater Cavern? Really? This place?

View attachment 168712

X has a lot of visually impressive and beautiful locations. . . and let's be honest, most caves aren't one of them.

Oh, speaking of that. While I was at it, I did take a bit of a tour on Mira, and take pictures of various locations that I feel could make for nice Smash stages:

First, there's these cranes on the outer part of NLA. They'd provide a good view of the city, and its most striking landmark, the BLADE Tower is in clear view.

View attachment 168713

Next up, my personal favourite, the floating islands near Tallon Rock, which provide an even better view of the full city, as well as some more of Primordia itself. The edge of Tallon Rock would admittedly be a bit in the way, but I imagine for a Smash stage, that could be moved out of the way.

View attachment 168714

Then I got the two big floating islands over in Oblivia - I'm not really sure which one of them would be best suited, so I took pictures of the view from both of them, as well as pictures of the islands themselves.

View attachment 168715
View attachment 168716
View attachment 168718
View attachment 168719

For Sylvalum, I also got two possible locations: First, the peak just north of the eastern part of Lake Ciel, and second, one of these huge bow things that are all over the place, with a good view of the lake.

View attachment 168720
View attachment 168721

Then, for Cauldros, one of these floating mining stations would probably be best suited, so I went with one just off the west coast of the continent.

View attachment 168722
View attachment 168723

And lastly, for Noctilum. . . I admittedly didn't have much of an idea. Anything near the Divine Roost would be cool, but there's not structure in-game that would really work for that, unless they moved these gigantic branches and leaves over there. Instead, I simply went with the wooden pathways around the middle path of the continent.

View attachment 168724

Any thoughts on these?
Primordia in my opinion is way too similar to Bionis' Leg to be unique. NLA would work though. BLADE Tower is a natural spot to choose, and I can think of 3 different stages revolving around it. First, have a moving stage similar to New Donk City. Second, fight on top of the tower, the very top. Third, you could fight on the precipice in front of BLADE Tower,
where you can find Nagi,
which is the one I think would work best.
In Oblivia, any of the rings could work well. The Ruins on the Sandbank also are a prime location, as well as any of the numerous plateaus in central Oblivia. My personal pick would be the floating islands above the Drongo Caravan.
Noctilum makes it harder to find a spot thanks to its thick treeline making it hard to see places, but the are a few locations. The Old Dragontail Tree might work, as well as Yagami's Vista. The Nopon Braidbridge also has potential, and the Skybound Coil Tree next to it might also work. My pick would be the huge plant on top of the Divine Roost at the top of Noctilum, where Telethia, the Endbringer resides.
Sylvalum is so chock-full of locations I can't even mention all of them here, but my pick would be the Zu Pharg, because that hulking menace deserved better than being the boss of a filler chapter.
I haven't explored enough of Cauldros to really know what locations are the most prime, but my picks are the Emerian Battlegrounds, and the area where you fight Yggralith Zero.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I've never actually played Xenoblade Chronicles X, but from what I've seen of Elma in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (a game which I have spent who knows how long playing), I certainly wouldn't mind seeing her become playable, even though I would rather see Rex & Pyra, but hey, there's always DLC, right? Mind if I join in as a supporter?
Thanks for the support.

Monolith needs to hurry up and port X.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm glad so many people are getting interested in X after playing 2 or Torna even though it's so different. Really does hammer home that Monolith Soft should strike while the iron is hot. I don't expect every fan of 1/2/Torna to be super into X because it is a very different game but as someone who started with 1, I found X to be surprisingly suited to my tastes and playstyle.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just checked and I'm not in the supporter's list. That just won't do ;)
Count me in yo :)

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I just realized that all this time, I have not been on the official supporter list.

This travesty needs to be rectified immediately! :smirk:

Please add me to the supporter list!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just realized that all this time, I have not been on the official supporter list.

This travesty needs to be rectified immediately! :smirk:

Please add me to the supporter list!
I just checked and I'm not in the supporter's list. That just won't do ;)
Count me in yo :)
Seems that Bebe Mignon Bebe Mignon hasn’t been doing a good job lately. :troll:

More recruits!

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So how is everyone feeling about Elma at the moment?

Personally I'm feeling pretty good about her chances. Not crazy over the top "she's a lock," that'd be silly, but I'm in a pretty positive mindset that she's got a strong chance of turning up soon.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It's fake, that stage selection and the heroes VS villains theme give it away for me...
Though I think they're pretty spot on in terms of the characters (They are almost my exact predictions. Though I have Shadow as an echo).
There is no heroes vs villains theme, it's just that a lot of the highest requested characters are villains.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Personally I'm feeling pretty good about her chances. Not crazy over the top "she's a lock," that'd be silly, but I'm in a pretty positive mindset that she's got a strong chance of turning up soon.
I'm thinking she has a decent chance. Like a 55% chance If you will.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'm feeling good about her chance either base roster or early DLC double reveal with Rex and Pyra.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

Better now that Pokemon and Tomodatchi music have been added to the blog, but still low, I'd say 20%.

aarchak

Smash Ace

She's got a good shot at it. When looking past the ballot to more recent characters, Inkling, Isabelle, and Elma look to be the best candidates, and well, here's :ultinkling::ultisabelle:.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I feel she has a strong shot, one of the strongest among characters that are speculated on this site, but she isn't a lock since no one can really be one, as Chrom in Smash For told us. But TBH, I would probably be more surprised if she isn't playable at this point, after all the things that we have pointed out.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
She's got a good shot at it. When looking past the ballot to more recent characters, Inkling, Isabelle, and Elma look to be the best candidates, and well, here's :ultinkling::ultisabelle:.
Inkling was quite highly requested in the ballot, as Splatoon exploded at the same time. Isabelle is very popular, and I have no trouble believing that her ballot following, greatly dwarfed that of Geno or Isaac, who have a very small group of dedicated vocal fans. They are not in the same boat as Elma, who I very much see becoming the new K Rool in future games.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm probably a bit more optimistic than other people here, but I'd rate her at a 70% chance or so. But I still believe in music theory, so there's that. Speaking of which, next update is another music post, so there's that moment of nervousness again.

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Oh, when i wrote before i forgot that i've mistake in one thing. I didn't assume that Elma didn't make it, just that "even if" she doesn't make in, i think she always has a chance because she's an asked character with some popularity.
Sorry for the misunderstanding xDD

Top Bottom