• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
So Gamefaqs has a topic going atm that noticed how Medusa's English VA(Cree Summer) made a tweet or something about Smash Bros. They feel that this might lead to her reveal as an echo, as they're connecting it to how Shulk's VA(Adam Howden) teased about Smash before his reveal, and that both are pretty similar.

How would you guys feel about an Elma reveal with Medusa as an echo-to Palutena of course?
Anything with Elma would be amazing.

I haven't played any Kid Icarus games, so I don't really care for Medusa, but it would be nice for her fans, if she got in.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm trying to think of a thematic link between Medusa and Elma, and I'm just drawing a blank. I guess Mira had many races and Medusa doesn't look human?... nah... I can't see them in a dual trailer.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So Gamefaqs has a topic going atm that noticed how Medusa's English VA(Cree Summer) made a tweet or something about Smash Bros. They feel that this might lead to her reveal as an echo, as they're connecting it to how Shulk's VA(Adam Howden) teased about Smash before his reveal, and that both are pretty similar.

How would you guys feel about an Elma reveal with Medusa as an echo-to Palutena of course?
When was this?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'm super down. Elma is on my most-wanted list and I just started Kid Icarus Uprising and I'm super into it.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to think of a thematic link between Medusa and Elma, and I'm just drawing a blank. I guess Mira had many races and Medusa doesn't look human?... nah... I can't see them in a dual trailer.
Eh, may be it's just pitting two cool female characters against eachother, one a hero and a villain? Actually, Medusa could pass for a member of the Ganglion.

When was this?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77061666

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Yeah, just give us Elma so we can stop with this echo chamber of the same few characters. I really want something to shake up that speculation so we can stop debating on temporary designs and leaked images.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I would classify Medusa as an out-of-the-blue character. Personally, I have no attachment to her as I haven't played any of the Kid Icarus games. I'd be happy for the fans though.

Also...it's nice to see another week of no Xenoblade music. I really hope this so-called theory leads to an announcement for Elma.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
If they do two reveals in one I could see Isaac and Elma being in the same trailer. They could be fighting against Ratahlos (like a monster on Mira and represent a golden sun dragon) or something like that. However, I am very pumped for the upcoming news.

Also....one of Elma’s signature artes is Ghost Walker is it not. And we are in October which means Halloween and ghosts.

Basically elma is confirmed cause ghosts!! /s

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If they do two reveals in one I could see Isaac and Elma being in the same trailer. They could be fighting against Ratahlos (like a monster on Mira and represent a golden sun dragon) or something like that. However, I am very pumped for the upcoming news.

Also....one of Elma’s signature artes is Ghost Walker is it not. And we are in October which means Halloween and ghosts.

Basically elma is confirmed cause ghosts!! /s
Even better. Medusa and Elma are both confirmed. Medusa because she's very spooky looking and Elma due to the reasons you stated.

It's perfect I tell you! Perfect!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
DUDES

THE “NEW” BANNER OVER CHARACTERS IS GONE NOW

news is VERY CLOSE I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT
Just for information, when was it removed before Isabelle's reveal?

But I'm really getting hyped by all of this. Also I don't see them just revealing an echo IMO.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I played Xenoblade Chronicles X, did that game have anything to do with the vanilla XB C games? What was the deal with that?

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I just came to lurk in the thread and the news just instantly made my palms sweat in anticipation. Oh boy.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I played Xenoblade Chronicles X, did that game have anything to do with the vanilla XB C games? What was the deal with that?
Mostly cameos or references for fanservice purpose.
Otherwise they aren't really that connected (at least if we exclude fan theories).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone else make a stupidly OP character in XBC X by abusing core crusher? IIRC it was an either build. You could take down end game tyrants without a skell.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Although I'm way too intimidated to play any of the Xenoblade games myself, I know for a fact that this series was to Smash 4 what Kid Icarus was to Brawl. As such, I think it'd be absolutely doable to have Elma in the base game, with Rex+Pyra as DLC.

So yeah, although she's not super high on my list, I support Elma.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Although I'm way too intimidated to play any of the Xenoblade games myself, I know for a fact that this series was to Smash 4 what Kid Icarus was to Brawl. As such, I think it'd be absolutely doable to have Elma in the base game, with Rex+Pyra as DLC.

So yeah, although she's not super high on my list, I support Elma.
I suggest trying Torna if you feel intimidated by the amount of content. It is a lot shorter than the other games (around 15 to 20 hours) and is quick to understand. I consider it a good starting point for the series.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I suggest trying Torna if you feel intimidated by the amount of content. It is a lot shorter than the other games (around 15 to 20 hours) and is quick to understand. I consider it a good starting point for the series.
A fair few people on the Discord I'm a part of actually played Torna as their first one and basically caused them to do a complete 180 on their feelings about Xenoblade. They've now bought and are playing 1 and 2!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
A fair few people on the Discord I'm a part of actually played Torna as their first one and basically caused them to do a complete 180 on their feelings about Xenoblade. They've now bought and are playing 1 and 2!
Tell them to play X too so that we can have more Elma supporters

Yeah, Torna is great.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Tell them to play X too so that we can have more Elma supporters

Yeah, Torna is great.
Most of them are holding out for an X port for the Switch, which I think is quite likely to happen next year. There's definitely plenty of love for Elma there though!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
DUDES

THE “NEW” BANNER OVER CHARACTERS IS GONE NOW

news is VERY CLOSE I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT
Ohhh, nice! Now the only question that remains is what scale this reveal is going to be on, whether it's a full-blown Direct, or just something akin to Robin and Lucina.

If it really is Elma time, though, I think I could say this now: I really hope that her reveal trailer does have more dialogue, like the reveal trailers for Robin/Lucina and Corrin in Smash 4. One thing that always kinda disappointed me about Shulk's reveal trailer was that the only dialogue there was him using lines that he also uses in gameplay. For Elma's reveal trailer, they should have Lin and Tatsu commenting and talking about things.

There is no direct connection. Elma's appearance as a Blade in 2 is justified by the actions of a sort of divine Nopon who brings people together from across dimensions.
That said, there could be some theories made on how all three games are more directly connected, but those are just that: Theories.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Ohhh, nice! Now the only question that remains is what scale this reveal is going to be on, whether it's a full-blown Direct, or just something akin to Robin and Lucina.

If it really is Elma time, though, I think I could say this now: I really hope that her reveal trailer does have more dialogue, like the reveal trailers for Robin/Lucina and Corrin in Smash 4. One thing that always kinda disappointed me about Shulk's reveal trailer was that the only dialogue there was him using lines that he also uses in gameplay. For Elma's reveal trailer, they should have Lin and Tatsu commenting and talking about things.

There is no direct connection. Elma's appearance as a Blade in 2 is justified by the actions of a sort of divine Nopon who brings people together from across dimensions.
That said, there could be some theories made on how all three games are more directly connected, but those are just that: Theories.
Well, honestly, the fact that they can be brought together shows that is a connection. Just a simple degree of connection, but it is there. It shows that the Xenoblade games share a multiverse. I know it sounds too loosy, but each game, acknowledging that the others game's universe exist in parallel, is in itself a degree of connection. And that together with another point made in XC2, well, I think this bit at least, is not theory, it is canon.

But this degree of connection is just but a nice trivia for the franchise fans, and for now (and ever, probably) indeed there is no direct connection and they can be totally enjoyed independently of one another.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Just for information, when was it removed before Isabelle's reveal?

But I'm really getting hyped by all of this. Also I don't see them just revealing an echo IMO.
The "New" banner was removed a week before both KKR (and company) and Isabelle were revealed, respectively.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So what I'm hearing is that I should be warming up my Skell for our girl to be revealed next week? :p
The way I see it it's between her and a pokemon, although if music theory is anything to go by maybe it would make more sense to reveal the pokemon alongside another newcomer and just have their song be the music update instead of the poke. In which case elma makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly, of music theory still holds water, Elma is the only character from the series already in Smash that can be revealed. I really doubt we will see a WarioWare, Wii Fit or Duck Hunt newcomer.

Although the other big contender would be a character from a new series, but still Elma is the likeliest among the current series missing a song.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly, of music theory holds still water, Elma is the only character from the series already in Smash that can be revealed. I really doubt we will see a WarioWare, Wii Fit or Duck Hunt newcomer.

Although the other big contender would be a character from a new series, but still Elma is the likeliest among the current series missing a song.
There's also the possibility of another character from a series that already has a newcomer though

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There's also the possibility of another character from a series that already has a newcomer though
That's a possibility, but TBH I can't see another Metroid, Splatoon, Castlevania or Animal Crossing rep being added.
Donkey Kong might have Dixie Kong, but since she could potentially be an echo I doubt she would be the newcomer for next week, assuming it is unique. If we include echoes then we might also see Shadow or Ken for that matter.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, of music theory holds still water, Elma is the only character from the series already in Smash that can be revealed. I really doubt we will see a WarioWare, Wii Fit or Duck Hunt newcomer.

No kidding. With the music theory, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mega Man and Street Fighter would already be out of the running for a unique newcomer, Other than Bayonetta, Sonic, Star Fox, Wii Fit, Pac-Man, and of course, Xenoblade, what series does that even leave?

. . .Dude. They literally said "if music theory holds still water". Getting a newcomer from a series that already has one kinda goes against the fundamental basis of that. That, and getting any more unique Metroid, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Splatoon or Castlevania seems pretty unlikely to me.

Well, honestly, the fact that they can be brought together shows that is a connection. Just a simple degree of connection, but it is there. It shows that the Xenoblade games share a multiverse. I know it sounds too loosy, but each game, acknowledging that the others game's universe exist in parallel, is in itself a degree of connection. And that together with another point made in XC2, well, I think this bit at least, is not theory, it is canon.

But this degree of connection is just but a nice trivia for the franchise fans, and for now (and ever, probably) indeed there is no direct connection and they can be totally enjoyed independently of one another.
I was actually talking about a more specific connection that I personally am theorizing about, namely that
Earth as it is shown in Klaus' past is the same as the one that is "destroyed" in XBCX, and the shown explosion being caused by the experiment, rather than the battle between the Ganglion and the Ghost. In the end of XBCX, Lin even doubts that earth was really destroyed. Additionally, at least some of the mechs in 2 do at least kinda resemble Skells, meaning that a connection isn't outright impossible.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
No kidding. With the music theory, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mega Man and Street Fighter would already be out of the running for a unique newcomer, Other than Bayonetta, Sonic, Star Fox, Wii Fit, Pac-Man, and of course, Xenoblade, what series does that even leave?

. . .Dude. They literally said "if music theory holds still water". Getting a newcomer from a series that already has one kinda goes against the fundamental basis of that. That, and getting any more unique Metroid, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Splatoon or Castlevania seems pretty unlikely to me.

I was actually talking about a more specific connection that I personally am theorizing about, namely that
Earth as it is shown in Klaus' past is the same as the one that is "destroyed" in XBCX, and the shown explosion being caused by the experiment, rather than the battle between the Ganglion and the Ghost. In the end of XBCX, Lin even doubts that earth was really destroyed. Additionally, at least some of the mechs in 2 do at least kinda resemble Skells, meaning that a connection isn't outright impossible.
The music theory could still work with multiple newcomers from the same series though, they just wouldn't get a song since their franchise already has one. Dark Samus kinda shows that, yeah she's an echo but still. We could still get a mario or a fire emblem newcomer potentially.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My personal take with the music theory is that it is right, but not as people think.

I belive that when Sakurai decided the songs to add to the website, and the order of then being released, he went with two rules:
-Every series with new remixes will get only one song, so that none is more prevalent than the other
-Whenever it is possible to tie them to newcomers' reveal, they are held back to be revealed alongside them.

This second rule means that characters planned to be revealed quite some time before release (like Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K Rool...) had a song tied alongside their devut trailer to further up the hype.
BUT I also belive that, while we are almost certain about a character for next week/the whole October, there will still be some characters left for the Final Smash Direct which will air in November. If they reveal more characters than weeks ahead of release then they wouldn't be able to add those songs to the website, so they went with other remixes from the same series as the characters planned for the grand finale, probably posting them even months before their debut.
That's why I don't completely exclude a Kirby or a Pokémon newcomer right now.

But for the imminent reveal? Time to tie songs to it/them is plenty, so I totally belive that Music Theory as we have seen it so far is applicable here, and when you look at the series currently missing we have
-ROB, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt: No need to explain why they will not get a new rep
-WarioWare: I really doubt anyone would get in before Ashley, who as already been confirmed as an AT.
-Kid Icarus, Sonic, Earthbound: their best bet for a new fighter is with an echo, but since echoes have never been shown in separated trailers, which is what we are most likely going to see next week, I would put them on hold.
-Punch Out, Star Fox: They lack new or popular characters to bring to the table. Even Krystal couldn't make the cut.

Xenoblade is the only series of the ones still missing from the music section with a compelling and unique character choice: Elma. The only other option for a unique that still respects the theory would be a completely new series, like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Personally, I don't know if we can expect to see Elma in any capacity next week. With the Robin/Lucina reveal, they were both Fire Emblem characters, so it made sense at the time. Granted, they were fighting Captain Falcon, so the logic might not be all that sound. I really think that it'll be an Incineroar and Ken trailer. They're both fighters, so there's a common theme. It would also make sense because they could fill out the box with those two, and use the entire box as promotional material, but then reveal a few more fighters in a Smash direct in November. At least if we just get a single trailer next week, we know that we're getting more information, as Sakurai said that they couldn't talk about the Spirits mode at the time.

So, let's make some official predictions and see who comes closest!

October 10, 2018:
Ken and Incineroar are revealed, final box design (for the November bundle release) is finally shown.

November 14, 2018:
Elma, Shadow/Medusa (either of them seem likely), and Geno (potentially first DLC character?) are revealed. Spirits mode is detailed, and is a cross between Adventure Mode and Subspace. A TestSmash is announced for the last weekend in November.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally, I don't know if we can expect to see Elma in any capacity next week. With the Robin/Lucina reveal, they were both Fire Emblem characters, so it made sense at the time. Granted, they were fighting Captain Falcon, so the logic might not be all that sound. I really think that it'll be an Incineroar and Ken trailer. They're both fighters, so there's a common theme. It would also make sense because they could fill out the box with those two, and use the entire box as promotional material, but then reveal a few more fighters in a Smash direct in November. At least if we just get a single trailer next week, we know that we're getting more information, as Sakurai said that they couldn't talk about the Spirits mode at the time.

So, let's make some official predictions and see who comes closest!

October 10, 2018:
Ken and Incineroar are revealed, final box design (for the November bundle release) is finally shown.

November 14, 2018:
Elma, Shadow/Medusa (either of them seem likely), and Geno (potentially first DLC character?) are revealed. Spirits mode is detailed, and is a cross between Adventure Mode and Subspace. A TestSmash is announced for the last weekend in November.
Ok here is my prediction

10/10/2018: Single Trailer
Elma (I don't see Incineroar being revealed because of what I said about music theory, if he was planned to be revealed around this time they would have held back the Pokémon remix IMO).

14/11/2018 : Smash Direct
Incineroar and Bandana Dee as final unique, Geno as first DLC, Ken and Medusa are the final echoes. Detail on Spirits, Online and all that is left.
Smashfire online demo right after the presentation, with online starting the week after.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyone else make a stupidly OP character in XBC X by abusing core crusher? IIRC it was an either build. You could take down end game tyrants without a skell.
That's called the Ether Blossom Dance build, if I'm not mistaken. That setup basically carried me through all of the post-game quests in their entirety, along with the Ares 90. It's really satisfying to be able to pull off things like infinite Overdrive and taking down Millesauruses effortlessly on foot.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's worth noting that we saw how many tracks Bayonetta has in the Direct when Sakurai hovered over the Bayonetta franchise icon in the sound player, and it was the same total as Smash 4's tracks. So there's even less franchises awaiting music. Mind we could always get another Tomodachi Life situation like this week's music update.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Yeah, just give us Elma so we can stop with this echo chamber of the same few characters. I really want something to shake up that speculation so we can stop debating on temporary designs and leaked images.
YES PLEASE
I'm tired of people looping around the "Incineroar and Ken are the last characters bc Vergeben said so and box/download card theory" narrative
Remember when people were sure there were still 3-4 character in SSB3DS during the ESRB leak because of the spots in the CSS? those could mean literally anything

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Elma, Medusa or even Isaac w/ Felix as an echo gets revealed as the character(s) next week supposedly will this throw the box theory out of the window.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
If Elma, Medusa or even Isaac w/ Felix as an echo gets revealed as the character(s) next week supposedly will this throw the box theory out of the window.
The box theory was already out the window anyway. It was literally just a place holder for the special addition, and it didn't even have Isabelle on it, so if this theory was correct, it would mean we only have one single fighter left.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
The box theory was already out the window anyway. It was literally just a place holder for the special addition, and it didn't even have Isabelle on it, so if this theory was correct, it would mean we only have one single fighter left.
Just for clarification, the Box Theory does account for Isabelle in that there were two empty slots on one side of the box, and it is speculated there is one more empty slot on the opposite end.

Also recently, a download code has been released and is being sold in Japan for the game where it shows the entire roster so far (including Isabelle) and also has two blank slots, suggesting only two characters are left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Nzk6FVP1k

My guts (and hopes) are telling me the Box Theory is wrong--there are many reasons to believe it IS wrong--but we don't have enough information just yet to entirely discredit it. Hopefully we'll know for sure next week with an Elma reveal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On top of that it'll show VergeBen isn't always right. Apparently some people says he's always been right about his predictions when in reality he's got a few wrong like he didn't know K. Rool would be in the game.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
On top of that it'll show VergeBen isn't always right. Apparently some people says he's always been right about his predictions when in reality he's got a few wrong like he didn't know K. Rool would be in the game.
It's not that he's gotten a leak wrong (for this game at least), but more he just doesn't know the full roster.

The only way Verge is proven wrong is if he says a character is in (like Incineroar or Ken) and they get deconfirmed, which hasn't happened yet.

So far, Verge hasn't said anything that negatively affects Elma's chances.

*EDIT: As an interesting side note, if we get a character reveal on the speculated October 10th date, it'll be on the 11th year anniversary from when Sonic was revealed for Brawl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom