• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
XCX retains being able to change the player controlled character like in XC1 and XC2, right? I know that you create your own avatar but I was curious if you could play as Elma and the gang if you wanted.

...Man, XCXDE needs to happen soon.
Yes you can switch to any party member at any time and tbh when I played the game I really only played as Elma lmfao.

Cross is useful I guess but tbh not only is Elma more important to the plot, she’s more fun to play lol.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I mean, you can pretty much just turn Cross into a strictly better version of Elma if you build him right. Only downside is that you don't have access to ghost factory until post game stuff.

Elma is definitely one of the funnest characters to play early on in the game tho, I definitely agree there. Probably the easiest character to go infinite with overdrive when you first get it lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, you can pretty much just turn Cross into a strictly better version of Elma if you build him right. Only downside is that you don't have access to ghost factory until post game stuff.

Elma is definitely one of the funnest characters to play early on in the game tho, I definitely agree there. Probably the easiest character to go infinite with overdrive when you first get it lol.
my first ever infinite overdrive was with Elma

when she says "You've had your chance" when you hit MAX counter - bro. goosebumps.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So, a few rumors about Monolith Soft have popped up over the last few weeks.

One person from ResetEra (not naming names because reasons) has claimed that Monolith Soft is going to release (maybe they meant announce?) their next game within the next financial year. So that would be anytime between April 2021 and March 2022. IMO, I’m only expecting an announcement this year and an “internal delay” to mid 2022.

Nate from “Nate the Hate“ podcast channel “predicted” that a new Xenoblade game will come out either this year or the next. In the comments section of a later podcast video, he said that Monolith Soft will show something by the end of this year. He also ruled out a Xenoblade X port in the near future. Nate said he hasn’t heard substantial information regarding the rumored new IP.

Based on these rumors and the large-scale hiring from 2.5 years ago, it is apparent that Monolith Soft is getting ready to announce a new Xenoblade project by the end of the year. Unfortunately, those who have been begging for an X port will have to wait a little while longer. So probably 2023 at the earliest for X.

As always, take these rumors with a grain of salt, even if they are very obvious.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hmm

I wonder what the new Xenoblade game would be if it’s not a port of X?

I don’t see it being Xenoblade 3 for example, maybe they may just go straight to an X sequel?

I also don’t want to rule our a spin-off like a Musou or something but that wouldn’t be by Monolith.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hmm

I don’t see it being Xenoblade 3 for example, maybe they may just go straight to an X sequel?

I also don’t want to rule our a spin-off like a Musou or something but that wouldn’t be by Monolith.
I would've said Xenoblade 1-2, but then I remembered Future Connected is a thing...

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I dunno

before XCDE, Monolith showed off teasers of what we all assumed was a new IP

and Nate The Hate seems like he’s just speculating
They’re not actually teasers. They sadly don’t represent any project. Yasuyuki Honne (the artist) said they are for recruitment purposes only.

He’s not.

Hmm

When asked about the next game possibly returning to the hard science fiction setting of X (as opposed to 1&2’s fantasy world with giant titans), he said it’s possible. But then he said the series might take a third option in terms of the setting. Maybe a medieval or modern-day setting for the next Xenoblade? I wonder how they will title it.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
When asked about the future of the series, Takahashi said XCX2 is possible, but then he said the series might go in a different direction. This interview was back in late 2018, before we knew about Xenoblade DE. It’s unclear if Xenoblade DE was the project Takahashi was talking about at the time.
Hmm curious, I’m not sure what “a different direction” might be tbh, Definitive Edition could possibly be that honestly as I’m having difficulty thinking what else he’d mean by that

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

One person from ResetEra (not naming names because reasons) has claimed that Monolith Soft is going to release (maybe they meant announce?) their next game within the next financial year. So that would be anytime between April 2021 and March 2022. IMO, I’m only expecting an announcement this year and an “internal delay” to mid 2022.

Nate from “Nate the Hate“ podcast channel “predicted” that a new Xenoblade game will come out either this year or the next. In the comments section of a later podcast video, he said that Monolith Soft will show something by the end of this year. He also ruled out a Xenoblade X port in the near future. Nate said he hasn’t heard substantial information regarding the rumored new IP.

Based on these rumors and the large-scale hiring from 2.5 years ago, it is apparent that Monolith Soft is getting ready to announce a new Xenoblade project by the end of the year. Unfortunately, those who have been begging for an X port will have to wait a little while longer. So probably 2023 at the earliest for X.

As always, take these rumors with a grain of salt, even if they are very obvious.
Imagine if we don't get Elma or Rex & Pyra in Smash but a new character from this new Xenoblade game they're working on that isn't even out yet. That would be so like Nintendo to do.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
View attachment 300004
Don't ask me how I got this

It's actually only like 10 GB, which is essentially half of X's file size (around 22 GB or so from what I gathered from a quick google search). Deginitely huge, but not THAT huge. For sure a lot smaller than the largest game on the switch. Plus it's not like the data packs are adding onto the original game's file size. It's only really needed for people who run the game off of the disc so that they can ease load times by having the assets loaded straight from the Wii U's storage rather than the disk. The problem is immediately solved if you just have the game digitally.

I feel like they could definitely fit X on a cartridge if they were able to do it with Witcher 3.
I didn't even know this lol thanks.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Hmm curious, I’m not sure what “a different direction” might be tbh, Definitive Edition could possibly be that honestly as I’m having difficulty thinking what else he’d mean by that
I edited my post btw. The question was about the settings of the Xenoblade games in general. Takahashi suggested that the next game could focus on a setting that hasn’t been explored before. Basically, this is what it looks like:

Option 1: Traveling on the backs of huge, living Titans (Xenoblade 1&2)
Option 2: Hard science fiction on an alien planet with Skells (Xenoblade X)
Option 3: ???

In the above context, Takahashi seemingly wants to do something different. Perhaps a medieval or modern-day setting? He did say in an older interview (from 2015) that he wants to continue to explore a variety of settings in the series.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Imagine if we don't get Elma or Rex & Pyra in Smash but a new character from this new Xenoblade game they're working on that isn't even out yet. That would be so like Nintendo to do.
I don't see a New Xenoblade this year, mostly because of Covid Delays, so Second Half of 2022 at the earliest. Though Elma, Melia, and Lora would be AMAZING!

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Hmm

It's absolutely going to be Xenoblade 3. Why would they not make a direct sequel to their mainline entries? Unless of course, we get another Xenoblade Gaiden series like X but that seems unlikely especially considering the fact that the mainline Xenoblade games have room to grow.

When asked about the next game possibly returning to the hard science fiction setting of X (as opposed to 1&2’s fantasy world with giant titans), he said it’s possible. But then he said the series might take a third option in terms of the setting. Maybe a medieval or modern-day setting for the next Xenoblade? I wonder how they will title it.
Xenoblade Chronicles looks to be a retelling of Xenogears Perfect Works. So if we go with that sort of framework, this video may give us an idea of what to expect for the next Xenoblade Chronicles entry.

I edited my post btw. The question was about the settings of the Xenoblade games in general. Takahashi suggested that the next game could focus on a setting that hasn’t been explored before. Basically, this is what it looks like:

Option 1: Traveling on the backs of huge, living Titans (Xenoblade 1&2)
Option 2: Hard science fiction on an alien planet with Skells (Xenoblade X)
Option 3: ???

In the above context, Takahashi seemingly wants to do something different. Perhaps a medieval or modern-day setting? He did say in an older interview (from 2015) that he wants to continue to explore a variety of settings in the series.
After the events of Future Connected set up the Fog Beast's and Fog King, I'm confident that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will have a more direct connection to both Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I don't see a New Xenoblade this year, mostly because of Covid Delays, so Second Half of 2022 at the earliest. Though Elma, Melia, and Lora would be AMAZING!
Video games are not blockbuster feature films, there's no financial liability of releasing a AAA video game during COVID-19 as evidenced by Final Fantasy VII Remake, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and The Last fo Us Part II.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I was talking about announcement. I think there’s a strong possibility to see something by the end of the year.

Video games are not blockbuster feature films, there's no financial liability of releasing a AAA video game during COVID-19 as evidenced by Final Fantasy VII Remake, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and The Last fo Us Part II.
I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think that’s accurate. COVID has certainly impacted video game development. Those titles you mentioned were already close to completion, so of course they came out last year. The projects that were in the middle of development or just started development last year are the ones most impacted by the pandemic. Such projects include like Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade, etc.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Video games are not blockbuster feature films, there's no financial liability of releasing a AAA video game during COVID-19 as evidenced by Final Fantasy VII Remake, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and The Last of Us Part II.
I'm talking when it comes to delays. I think all of Nintendo's Games have been delayed SIGNIFICANTLY! Xenoblade has a tendency to be very story focused, and have a tendency to have a pretty big scale, so I think any delays, regardless of when, would probably significantly alter the release timing, marketing, a ton of other things,I simply can't see it happening this year, so it's out of Smash's 2021 Newcomer Range. I could see an announcement this year, but it would absolutely not be this year. Also, Definitive Edition was in 2020 and there's usually a Two Year Time Gap, so even if we get an announcement this year, it's definitely not coming out this year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm talking when it comes to delays. I think all of Nintendo's Games have been delayed SIGNIFICANTLY! Xenoblade has a tendency to be very story focused, and have a tendency to have a pretty big scale, so I think any delays, regardless of when, would probably significantly alter the release timing, marketing, a ton of other things,I simply can't see it happening this year, so it's out of Smash's 2021 Newcomer Range. I could see an announcement this year, but it would absolutely not be this year. Also, Definitive Edition was in 2020 and there's usually a Two Year Time Gap, so even if we get an announcement this year, it's definitely not coming out this year.
They could announce both Elma for Smash AND X DE this year and have X DE set for an early 2022 release

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's absolutely going to be Xenoblade 3. Why would they not make a direct sequel to their mainline entries? Unless of course, we get another Xenoblade Gaiden series like X but that seems unlikely especially considering the fact that the mainline Xenoblade games have room to grow.
Hmm I’m just not sure if we’d get 3 this soon, 2 is still pretty fresh out of water only being three years old and still having a sizable install base, because of that I’m just uncertain they’d go straight to 3 now.

But hey who knows, 2 did have a significantly shorter development time because of the foundation they built off of X so what’s to say they couldn’t do the same here I guess?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Holy crap

that’s even better! It could set the stage for X and be even MORE of an incentive for Elma in Smash!
Unless they make the co-pilot the main character, like Lora and Jin in Torna.

What? The only people who know what'll happen in Xenoblade are the people who make Xenoblade.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But also

what if the hypothetical X prequel would be Sawano’s secret project?

they should keep Sawano for the X “timeline” of games tbh

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Thinking it over, I think it's quite an exciting idea, theres a fair bit of potential. Elma's partner, the Skelleton Crew, young Vandham and Nagi as potential party members, Lin's parents, Los Angeles and Tokyo as major locations, a threat among the human populace, possibly related to the Ghosts. And no Nopon! lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thinking it over, I think it's quite an exciting idea, theres a fair bit of potential. Elma's partner, the Skelleton Crew, young Vandham and Nagi as potential party members, Lin's parents, Los Angeles and Tokyo as major locations, a threat among the human populace, possibly related to the Ghosts. And no Nopon! lol
GIVE IT TO ME.

NOW.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If this is anything like Origami King, SM3DWDX, SMAS3D and Pikmin 3 DX, it may come true eventually when people least expect it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I don't think X2 is happening this FY for one simple reason:

1576935963439.jpg

The open world devs are still working on BotW2. I think we'll have to wait until that's out of the way first. I'm not sure the main group would want to tackle another open world game without them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 300206

The open world devs are still working on BotW2. I think we'll have to wait until that's out of the way first. I'm not sure the main group would want to tackle another open world game without them.
I didn't thought about that. You might have a point because the BOTW sequel is a really ambitious project and I could see them just only focusing on during it's development.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was playing Ultimate this morning and I double check the music section since I haven't really looked at it in awhile. I notice there's only 11 Xenoblade tracks. 8 Xenoblade Chronicles tracks and 3 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 tracks. So even without there being no Xenoblade Chronicles X music in the game, that's a very small music section for a playable first party franchise that has been in 2 Smash installments already despite it having one rep. It's a little suspicious even if you disregard the absence of Xenoblade Chronicles X music from the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I was playing Ultimate this morning and I double check the music section since I haven't really looked at it in awhile. I notice there's only 11 Xenoblade tracks. 8 Xenoblade Chronicles tracks and 3 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 tracks. So even without there being no Xenoblade Chronicles X music in the game, that's a very small music section for a playable first party franchise that has been in 2 Smash installments already despite it having one rep. It's a little suspicious even if you disregard the absence of Xenoblade Chronicles X music from the game.
What if Elma brings Torna tracks with her too...?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I’m just not sure if we’d get 3 this soon, 2 is still pretty fresh out of water only being three years old and still having a sizable install base, because of that I’m just uncertain they’d go straight to 3 now.

But hey who knows, 2 did have a significantly shorter development time because of the foundation they built off of X so what’s to say they couldn’t do the same here I guess?
Xenoblade Chronicles was released in 2010, Xenoblade Chronicles X was released in 2015 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was released in 2017. A winter 2021 release for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is not out of the question assuming production for the hypothetical game started at 2018.

Ok hear me out, playing out more like a numbered, story driven Xenoblade game... a prequel to X. Starring Elma and her Co-Pilot.
I don't see X breaking its narrative conventions if they do decide to make a direct sequel/prequel of the game.

View attachment 300206

Monolith Soft has four dedicated development studios, and if we ignore the primary Tokyo studio and the Kyoto studio then they still have two other studios. They have the manpower to work on two different open-world games if they wanted to.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman

Supposedly BOTW2 is set to use the same map as the 1st game, quote could just be out of context though.

"One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story." - Eiji Aonuma

I couldn't find it, but I remember reading an interview with Monolith where they talked about their development process for making games, and that they started with the world before locking down the story and setting. They suggested they had recently finished the world for a new game they were working on. For all I know that was them finishing off work on the Bionis' Shoulder though.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
How long was OG BOTW worked on? The sequel may take just as long
I don't think the sequel will take as long. The engine, character and game assets from Breath of the Wild are clearly being reused. Monolith Soft is also larger in staff than they were when they worked on Breath of the Wild so the turnover will be quicker compared to the original game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think the sequel will take as long. The engine, character and game assets from Breath of the Wild are clearly being reused. Monolith Soft is also larger in staff than they were when they worked on Breath of the Wild so the turnover will be quicker compared to the original game.
For all we know it may already be done then?

maybe now it’s X DE/X prequel time?

Also I’m gonna try surveying 100% of Mira soon - hopefully that’ll like, will X DE/X Prequel/Elma in Smash into existence or something lmao

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've had a thought earlier...

You know how Takahashi said that they would need plenty of money for an X port? Well, if it's anything like 3D World DX and Pikmin 3 DX, a port would have to come with some new content, like...a new campaign! Not to mention that this is a game that took so much care and effort to make that Nintendo told Monolith Soft to take their time with it when the latter planned to release it earlier.

In light of all that, it would make sense why an X port would come later rather than sooner.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
For all we know it may already be done then?

maybe now it’s X DE/X prequel time?

Also I’m gonna try surveying 100% of Mira soon - hopefully that’ll like, will X DE/X Prequel/Elma in Smash into existence or something lmao
It probably is, I would be shocked if it does not release for 2021. Nintendo needs another Animal Crossing for this year (Pokemon's profits are divided between Nintendo, Gamefreak and The Pokemon Company so they don't count).

It ultimately depends on how much the assets have changed from Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild was designed to be cross-compatible with both the Wii U and the Nintendo Switch. Breath of the Wild 2, on the other hand, is a Switch exclusive which means that Nintendo and Monolith Soft can take advantage of the improved hardware. There's also the question of how drastically different the game is compared to Breath of the Wild from both gameplay and environmental perspectives.

Going back to the topic, Monolith Soft is big enough to work on an X Definitive Edition with a prologue/epilogue without it affecting their major game. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was a game that was worked on by a relatively small team on the cheap. With X being a native HD game, that process is going to be so much easier for the inevitable Switch remaster/port.

Top Bottom