• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
How can Jon Cartwright say this info is real? does he have inside info?

I remember not long ago he made a video for Nintendo Life with wii u games that are still to be ported and X was his highlight of the video and he says he believed it was a matter of time. Did it change now?

Well I sure hope this XC3 is not real, at least not now, not before something X related, unless they are porting it at the same time as doing XC3, and the X port be annouced first or simultaniously. What is the point having having Elma there with the other xeno protags on their lastest art, if they are doing nothing with X for about 5 years plus now (and probably more if this XC3 is real), are they mocking X fans or something, good lord this is worst than what Atlus does to their SMT fans in comparision to Persona fans.
To be fair, Atlus is giving us SMTV, and are hyping it up a bunch to boot. I don't know if that's an accurate comparison...

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Atlus is giving us SMTV, and are hyping it up a bunch to boot. I don't know if that's an accurate comparison...
That is the point I made, ATLUS is giving SMT fans a game. Monolith Soft for X fans though... and that is why Mono is being worst than ATLUS in this point.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
At the end of the day, I honestly just hope that this whole Xenoblade 3 reporting is a similar kind of deal to the "New Paper Mario coming, and it's returning to the series' roots!"-stuff that was going around last year. As in, the basic idea is somewhat true, but it's still not very accurate. A Xenoblade 3 would already face an uphill struggle for me to be interested in it, so it really wouldn't need the premise that this report has suggested making things worse for me.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That still doesn't sound very encouraging to me. If these connections to X are anything like the connections to 1 in 2, it's just gonna be some really rather minor things that only come in at the very end of the game. Not to mention that this next Xenoblade game likely being 3 is probably not a good sign for anything X coming anytime soon - considering that Monolith will likely want to touch it up quite a bit, it's gonna be a while before we see X again, and I'm honestly not in the mood to spend the next two or three years (at least) with people constantly making stupid jokes like "X fans crying in the corner", "forgotten like X", or "the Wii U's only game".

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
People who want to dunk on X will take any opportunity they get. But between X consistently appearing in promotional material like new hiring art and official anniversary art, and leaks saying even Monilith Soft wanted to remaster X before 1, at least "They don't want to touch X" isn't a valid excuse.

Staarih

Smash Master
So apparently Switch移植 was trending on Twitter (it translates to "Switch port" I think) and I decided to have a look. Out of Nintendo games, the ones that seem to have popped up repeatedly are Mother 3 (the outcry for that is worldwide lol), Super Mario RPG and Xenoblade X.

Just port the damn game haha!

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
So apparently Switch移植 was trending on Twitter (it translates to "Switch port" I think) and I decided to have a look. Out of Nintendo games, the ones that seem to have popped up repeatedly are Mother 3 (the outcry for that is worldwide lol), Super Mario RPG and Xenoblade X.

Just port the damn game haha!
People often bring up XCX's poor sales in Japan, but they tend to ignore that the Wii U did really badly there in general. I'm not surprised theres an apetite there for a JRPG with giant robots.

Staarih

Smash Master
People often bring up XCX's poor sales in Japan, but they tend to ignore that the Wii U did really badly there in general. I'm not surprised theres an apetite there for a JRPG with giant robots.
Yeah, and to be fair, XCX actually did quite well for a Wii U game. The last known Japanese sales number for it is like 130k copies which is pretty good for a console that never really took off. Yeah, it's the lowest selling Xenoblade game but even then, XC:DE is not too far with like 150k sold so far.

Overall I'd figure XCX is one of the better selling Wii U games even if it didn't crack a million worldwide and we don't know the full number.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
If Monolith is indeed working on two projects like some people say, and if indeed Nintendo only greenlighted xenoblade projects from Monolith (said in an interview), then I sure hope X DE is one of them, and like I said before, I hope they annouce it before or at least simultaniously with the new blade game (in the case of it being XC3)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If Monolith is indeed working on two projects like some people say, and if indeed Nintendo only greenlighted xenoblade projects from Monolith (said in an interview), then I sure hope X DE is one of them, and like I said before, I hope they annouce it before or at least simultaniously with the new blade game (in the case of it being XC3)
That'd be a nice thought, but there's sadly still the original IP that we need to keep in mind.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Got a link to said interview?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Now that you mention it, have any of these leaks mentioned that?
Only that it's likely also nearing completion. Considering that many leaks these days are rather vague, I'm personally not surprised, since there's a lot of unknown factors with a completely new IP.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to get my head around what they might be working on.

What I find most curious is what Monolith Soft are doing with 4 studios. The Kyoto studio is known to be working on BOTW2 and possibly other projects, and the original Tokyo Studio is working on the next Xenoblade game (Not from 'leaks', they've said this themselves) and also previously worked on Definitive Edition beforehand, but so far we have no idea what the other 2 Tokyo studios are doing. With 3 studios in Tokyo, I'd assume they'd have the facilities to have at least 3 games in development (remember the next Xeno and DE were in development at the same time at the same office), unless one or more of the Tokyo studios is collaborating with another Dev. I imagine if Nintendo intended to have the other studios collaborate with their teams they'd be set up in Kyoto.

I find it interesting that they've supposedly only managed to get Xenoblade projects greenlit, but still found cause to open additional offices. Also in terms of hiring, over the last few years they've hired with the promise of working on the next Xenoblade (After 1, X and 2) and a Zelda project (Probably BOTW2), as well as generic 'Work for us ads' with Xenoblade + KOS MOS art. That last one is also particularly interesting because Xeno Series isn't ALL they've done and they could have easily made art also featuring character's from some of their older games. Leaks aside I think their intent is at least to grow the overall Xenoblade series, and from the sounds of things that's also what Nintendo wants.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I AM HERE...to bring you some Elma fanart (and proving that she looks good in anything).

Also I'm not exactly sure what just happened in the Speculation Discussion thread but...I freaking love it.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I AM HERE...to bring you some Elma fanart (and proving that she looks good in anything).

Also I'm not exactly sure what just happened in the Speculation Discussion thread but...I freaking love it.
Let's just say nobody wants to talk about Nahobino anymore...

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Recently, Mitsuda posted on twitter that he did a recording session with Anuna, that Irish group that composed songs like Shadow of the lowlands from Xenoblade 2 with him. So yeah, yet another thing from 2...

I mean, could still be for the action fantasy game, would proabably fit very well, but it most likely is for the new xeno, and it seems things are gradually moving towards the infos of those late leaks.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Monolith Soft has posted a server maintenance notice on their website:
View attachment 328639
They may have something to announce soon.
Cool, can't wait for them to remove any references to X on their website as well.

Recently, Mitsuda posted on twitter that he did a recording session with Anuna, that Irish group that composed songs like Shadow of the lowlands from Xenoblade 2 with him. So yeah, yet another thing from 2...

I mean, could still be for the action fantasy game, would proabably fit very well, but it most likely is for the new xeno, and it seems things are gradually moving towards the infos of those late leaks.
Really hopin' it's for that new IP, seeing as all that's rumored about 3 so far is. . . not exactly my cup of tea.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
he's probably as right about XB3 as he was about the Switch Pro

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Elma might be a returning character for Xenoblade 3, along with
Melia, Nia, Poppi, etc.

Since you didn't mention it: This guy is a reporter at Bloomberg, so who knows how right this is.

But honestly, if this (currently) hypothetical 3 would have Elma or anyone from X in it, it'd at least get me somewhat interested. Her being there would also check out with that SamusHunter (yes, I know, but right now all "insiders" seem questionable to varying degrees) said about how 3 would connect to X:

Personally though, I still hope that all of these insiders are wrong.

Anyway, I want to throw out some half-baked theorizing on how this X connection could shake out.

We know from the backstory in X that the Samaarians apparently arrived in that world from another plane of existance, so interdimensional travel or something of the sort does canoncially exist in that universe, as opposed to the obviously not canon Land of Challenge stuff. And since we never actually learn what exactly Elma is - as in, what species - I was thinking that perhaps she could even originate from another dimension entirely, with the events of 3 then potentially also being about how she got to Earth to begin with.
On the other hand though, this sort of dimension-hopping from the Samaarians could also serve as a way to get her (and other X characters) to wherever exactly 3 takes place after the events of X. Truth to be told, I'd still prefer a X remaster or sequel over this kind of scenario, but it'd be better than the "it's just a follow-up to 1 and 2 :)" approach that currently seems likely.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Amusingly, a game set long after 1 and 2 could be just before X and delve into Elma's possible connections to Blades and the Monado. X is connected to 1 and 2, we just don't know quite how, but the clearest connection is the Telethia, which was the focal point of Future Connected.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Guess their first HD game with the scope it has was a stressful experience. Hopefully a port would still be in the cards.

(also Emily just casually dropping XC3, just an open secret at this point)
To be fair X has its share of actual Nightmare Fuel in it so

Biahno Plant war flashbacks

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Started watching AoT and it reminded me of how much I adore the soundtrack of this game. If we ever get an X2 I hope Suwano is on board again as well, wouldn't want it any other way.

The biggest nightmare fuel in X was trying to investigate a broken mech in the middle of a lake in Noctilum and hearing Uncontrollable play.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Started watching AoT and it reminded me of how much I adore the soundtrack of this game. If we ever get an X2 I hope Suwano is on board again as well, wouldn't want it any other way.

The biggest nightmare fuel in X was trying to investigate a broken mech in the middle of a lake in Noctilum and hearing Uncontrollable play.
I’ll do you one better:

Sylvalum. Noctilucent Sphere. Tyrant on the ceiling that’s level 90+.

That’s NOT Uncontrollable playing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like really, if the start to Uncontrollable didn’t make you go “oh ****”

the fact that one Sylvalum Tyrant and the post game tyrants HAVE THEIR OWN EVEN MORE MENACING BATTLE MUSIC TO SHOW THEYRE EVEN MORE POWERFUL…

…and then you got Telethia the Endbringer, but thankfully it’ll leave you alone unless you intentionally piss it off

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Guess their first HD game with the scope it has was a stressful experience. Hopefully a port would still be in the cards.

I'm honestly having my doubts on how much stock we can really put in these statements. For starters, what even was the last thing that Emily Rogers got right? If memory serves, she talked about a Switch port for X several years ago, and that sure hasn't happened. And other than that, I also really doubt that Xenoblade 2's development went really all that smooth. The game was pretty rough at launch, and Monolith Soft's staff that worked on it was severely reduced due to Breath of the Wild.

Speaking of unreliable insiders. . .

he's probably as right about XB3 as he was about the Switch Pro
This reminds me, how did people receive the new Paper Mario that was leaked last year, and was a supposed return to the series' roots, again?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The Nightmare Fuel is one of the more underappreciated aspects of Xenoblade...
I'm honestly having my doubts on how much stock we can really put in these statements. For starters, what even was the last thing that Emily Rogers got right? If memory serves, she talked about a Switch port for X several years ago, and that sure hasn't happened. And other than that, I also really doubt that Xenoblade 2's development went really all that smooth. The game was pretty rough at launch, and Monolith Soft's staff that worked on it was severely reduced due to Breath of the Wild.

Speaking of unreliable insiders. . .

This reminds me, how did people receive the new Paper Mario that was leaked last year, and was a supposed return to the series' roots, again?
I don't know if I'm reading this the right way, but I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY thought the new Paper Mario would be a return to form.

Though it DID have some elements reminiscent to the older games...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Nightmare Fuel is one of the more underappreciated aspects of Xenoblade...

I don't know if I'm reading this the right way, but I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY thought the new Paper Mario would be a return to form.

Though it DID have some elements reminiscent to the older games...
I actually like that X seems to be the darkest Xenoblade to date

for fricks sake it even has a “dangerous area” theme that they play when like a super strong Tyrant or other hazard is in the area and I just. Really appreciate that

it sets the atmosphere right

especially in dead man’s gulch with that ominous red fog

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

I think I would trust a person who actually was credited in the development of Xenoblade 2 and then some alleged “insider” on how the development process actually went.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think I would trust a person who actually was credited in the development of Xenoblade 2 and then some alleged “insider” on how the development process actually went.

I can’t view the page, it says 404 Error

Top Bottom