• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
When was E3 again? I'm certainly going into the Direct with low expectations, to be honest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would you react if at the end of the final trailer it says this

“This battle never truly ends…”

like maybe to tease an expanded version of Ultimate, or another ballot, or just next Smash, but it soft confirms Elma for it?

Everyone Is Here Again better be a thing regardless…

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
How would you react if at the end of the final trailer it says this

“This battle never truly ends…”

like maybe to tease an expanded version of Ultimate, or another ballot, or just next Smash, but it soft confirms Elma for it?

Everyone Is Here Again better be a thing regardless…
If there is something like an expanded version, then i don't see them teasing it anytime soon. Especially directly after the dlc is done.

Maybe a ballot. But only if the actually explain how it will work.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If there is something like an expanded version, then i don't see them teasing it anytime soon. Especially directly after the dlc is done.

Maybe a ballot. But only if the actually explain how it will work.
Someone in the DLC thread suggested that to reduce botting, they be tied to Nintendo accounts and only 9-10 votes per account. Like making a list?

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I'm really looking forward to the direct, even if Elma in Smash doesn't feel at all imminent at the moment, theres plenty other things I want to see. Hopefully others in the thread will be happy with something they show.

Not gonna get my hopes up for anything specific today, but nevertheless I'll be rooting for XCX on Switch, or a new monolithsoft project to be revealed.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
WarioWare, Monkey Ball, Metroid 5, Advance Wars. Shin Megami Tensei V piqued my interest some as well. Honestly, besides the Smash reveal being someone I have no interest in, I'd consider it a pretty good E3 for Nintendo.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well did anyone see anything they liked?
Mario Party Superstars for one, and Metroid: Dread being saved from Development Hell is definitely a good thing. Still upset over Kazuya Mishima jobbing :ultganondorf:, :ultfalcon:, :ultminmin, and my poor boy :ultpit:, but :ultkirby: just flying away from the ravine brightened my mood just a little bit.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Yo, that was a pretty neat direct.

Fatal Frame gets a port. Xenoblade X mus feel pretty lonely on Wii U right now..Advance Wars gets a remake (did not expect that at all) and freaking Metroid Dread! It is real! Holy mother!

AND YES A SMASH ANNOUNCEMENT THAT NOBODY SAW COMING AND I LOVE IT THANK YOU KAZUYA!!!

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Dread and BOTW 2 were good to see, and I'm excited to get into the Age of Calamity DLC this weekend, was hoping we'd get the bike as a moveset.

Kazuya isn't really my cup of tea but his moveset looks fun and his stage looks cool so I'm excited to see the presentation and then try him out. Also the he goes along with my voice theory I've had for a while now so I feel a bit validated, feeling like theres hope for more beyond Fighter 11 but not holding my breath.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Yo, that was a pretty neat direct.

Fatal Frame gets a port. Xenoblade X mus feel pretty lonely on Wii U right now..Advance Wars gets a remake (did not expect that at all) and freaking Metroid Dread! It is real! Holy mother!

AND YES A SMASH ANNOUNCEMENT THAT NOBODY SAW COMING AND I LOVE IT THANK YOU KAZUYA!!!
TFW Nintendo ports Star Fox Guard before they port Xenoblade X. Seriously, it has to be next, right?

Overall, it was a decent Direct for me. Not a ton of things I'm personally excited for, but I'm happy for everyone who is hyped. Kazuya doesn't do much for me in particular, but I'm just glad the newcomer is someone no one was really predicting. Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars, and Advance Wars made E3 for me, though. Very, very cool to see all three of those series still have life in them. BOTW2 hype is obvious, not surprised to see it targeting 2022. SMTV looks cool though I have little experience with Atlus' non-Persona titles. The lack of anything Pokémon or Bayonetta 3 related has me pretty worried for them, though.

The big disappointment, for me, was the complete absence of MonolithSoft. I was really hoping for some info on their next big project. Surely their entire staff isn't working on BOTW2, right? Maybe it's an all hands on deck type situation? Meh. I thought adding Pyra/Mythra to Smash was Nintendo's way giving the studio some attention before announcing their next title later in the year. Oh well, maybe this makes a port of X down the line more likely since it (in theory) wouldn't eat up their entire dev team's attention.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If there's one takeaway for me from this latest Smash reveal, it's that there is still a tiny sliver of hope left for Elma. Pretty much the whole pass so far has been about "second chances" in some sense, especially now with Tekken, which I believe Sakurai mentioned as having been considered for a character back in Smash 4. Though to be a bit more realistic, Elma's chances mostlikely now ride entirely on whether or not X is getting a port announced in the inevitable September Direct (or if the next Xenoblade game has anything to do with X), since it's getting pretty clear that Nintendo don't want to acknowledge the Wii U at all. And of course it depends on whether or not our(/my) belief that she (or another X character) might've been considered for Corrin's spot back in Smash 4. A lot of ifs, but I did say this was a tiny sliver of hope.

On a rather unrelated note, though. . . I know I'll probably be way overselling this, but whatever. I've been working on scripts for a three-part video essay series on why the Xenoblade series is awesome in my eyes, and for X in particular, I just really want to sell the game's less talked about qualities. So here's me basically asking around: What do you guys here think are some of X' less appreciated qualities, that you really would like to see be talked about more? It really can be just about anything.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If there's one takeaway for me from this latest Smash reveal, it's that there is still a tiny sliver of hope left for Elma. Pretty much the whole pass so far has been about "second chances" in some sense, especially now with Tekken, which I believe Sakurai mentioned as having been considered for a character back in Smash 4. Though to be a bit more realistic, Elma's chances mostlikely now ride entirely on whether or not X is getting a port announced in the inevitable September Direct (or if the next Xenoblade game has anything to do with X), since it's getting pretty clear that Nintendo don't want to acknowledge the Wii U at all. And of course it depends on whether or not our(/my) belief that she (or another X character) might've been considered for Corrin's spot back in Smash 4. A lot of ifs, but I did say this was a tiny sliver of hope.

On a rather unrelated note, though. . . I know I'll probably be way overselling this, but whatever. I've been working on scripts for a three-part video essay series on why the Xenoblade series is awesome in my eyes, and for X in particular, I just really want to sell the game's less talked about qualities. So here's me basically asking around: What do you guys here think are some of X' less appreciated qualities, that you really would like to see be talked about more? It really can be just about anything.
I still think we’re getting one more bonus individual DLC character after the pass as per the empty eshop slot that says “this content is currently unavailable

im for some reason feeling a splatoon rep is CP11 too? It also depends on how you view figure theory. It could be Off the Hook if the figurine is a direct reference (Amiibo don’t count) but Elma as an indirect reference for her Skell final smash hypothetically while Octoling is CP11

so many variables… 🤔

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Actually, one other small point that could still be taken to be in Elma's favour: Kazuya's trailer featured Min Min, which in turn could mean that Pyra and Mythra could theoretically make a reappearance in another trailer. That could even work with Monolith Soft themselves having written their trailer. . . somehow.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Actually, one other small point that could still be taken to be in Elma's favour: Kazuya's trailer featured Min Min, which in turn could mean that Pyra and Mythra could theoretically make a reappearance in another trailer. That could even work with Monolith Soft themselves having written their trailer. . . somehow.
Bro

don’t give me hope like this

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to say my piece about E3 yesterday so I hope nobody minds if I do it now hehe

SMTV is definitely the game I'm most excited for this year. My experience with core SMT is limited, I've only played IV and TMS and I wasn't big on either of them for different reasons, but V looks like it's taking the best elements of both games and mashing them together. It looks great, SMT has a lot of cool looking games that I'm sure I'll always be willing to give a shot even if they don't fully grab me.

WarioWare is another game I'm interested in. I've never played WarioWare before but they look fun, I love Wario, I'll probably try and get Gold before I get the new one but it looks like a promising series to me and I'm sure me and my brother would enjoy playing Get it Together together.

Metroid Dread is a funny one. I love Metroidvanias, I play a lot of em', mostly indie ones but I've played SotN as well, yet I've never really given Metroid a fair chance. I tried the first one, I played it for a little bit and didn't like it. I hear it's aged like total milk but it really put me off from the series and I hear my main problem with the game has been remedied in more recent entries to the series, so I think I'll definitely be giving Dread a go. My main concern is the sixty dollar price tag, with so many fantastic indie metroidvanias that you can get for less than half the price I would hope this game will really knock my socks off.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Staarih

Smash Master
Besides XCX, the only games i see as a possibility are the Zelda remasters and maaaaaaayybeee Star Fox Zero. I'd love to see Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed but thats pretty unlikely...
Funny how so few exclusives are left on the Wii U, Nintendo really wants people to forget about the console lol.

Though I'd happily give all the games another chance at life on the Switch. I agree that the Zelda remasters and XCX should be no-brainers for ports, Star Fox Zero with Star Fox Guard could make up for a quick and easy port as a new Star Fox probably ain't happening anytime soon and honestly, I'd love to see Color Splash and Woolly World too as they're great games and different enough from their newest iterations.

Staarih

Smash Master
I really don't think star fox zero would be an easy port considering how much it relies on the gamepad
Yeah, I guess I was moreso meaning "easy" as in an easy way to have a "new" game for StarFox to keep it relevant, as I doubt a new one is in the works for a while at least. Technically it may be a challenge because of the heavy GamePad use, but I think it could be doable.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, we just got a Fatal Frame V port announced.
Well yeah and I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing to do, but Fatal Frame V was, from what I hear, a good game that got a super rough deal on Wii U, being a download only outside of Japan, on a mediocre (sorry wii u) console that didn't even have enough space to download it. Even as a big X fan if you told me to pick one Wii U game that deserves the second chance it'd be Fatal Frame.

Star Fox Zero can at best be considered a mixed game, and at worst, a really bad one. I will say this is another game I haven't played but I hear one of the big problems most have with it is having to constantly switch between looking at the screen and the gamepad, so maybe simplifying the experience to one screen is the second breath it needs to be a good game. Again, haven't played it, don't know if a Switch port magically fixes all of it's problems, but still, Star Fox Zero to me feels like the kind of game that you'd rather leave in the dust.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So it’s been confirmed CP11 is the end, so we probably won’t see a bonus individual DLC afterwards. Kinda sets off my OCD with Piranha Plant being the only one but no matter. I’m content with Kazuya and the stuff he brings. I just hope we don’t have to wait too long for the end

but more than anything I just want X DE to happen already, maybe it’ll put X on Sakurai’s radar for next time

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Well, that day was certainly an interesting one. On one hand, I'm glad it's over soon, but ... yeah, I'll miss the speculation and crazy theories.

Anyway, X DE has to happen at some point. If it isn't I'm going to be really dissapointed. :(

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
For the past 30-40 minutes i've been trying to come up with a topic here...from Mii costumes to how Elma could work in Smash 64 (y'know just for fun)
and yet failing miserably to find prober words for it.

So instead have this old screenshot I saved from Miiverse many moons ago:

WVW69ktE1IA6ajJePP.jpg

And yes, i use it to this very day. I just think she looks really good in it.

Have nice day/ evening, everyone. ^^

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
For the past 30-40 minutes i've been trying to come up with a topic here...from Mii costumes to how Elma could work in Smash 64 (y'know just for fun)

Appreciate the thought Jocario. Between there only being 1 more character for Ultimate and the next Direct likely being a fair bit away, it feels like theres not much to anticipate or talk about at the moment, but hopefuly, when something does happen, the thread will spring back into life.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

It's a good outfit. Honestly though, now that Definitive Edition also introduced Fashion Gear to the first game, I still think that X pulled it off much better, with the sheer variety of casual outfits in the game. DE by contrast just only really has armour and swimwear.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
It's a good outfit. Honestly though, now that Definitive Edition also introduced Fashion Gear to the first game, I still think that X pulled it off much better, with the sheer variety of casual outfits in the game. DE by contrast just only really has armour and swimwear.
I do like how in DE you don't need to equip fashion gear in a slot and it's just an unlock instead, would make it alot easier to coordinate party looks in XCX, but in terms of designs, yeah X is super varied.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Top Bottom