• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I saw this video on Youtube that was basically trying to convince people that Xenoblade Chronicles DE is a remake rather than a remaster (at least, the original definition of a remake).

Since we've spent a good amount of time talking about it, what do you all think about it? Does is it count as a remake or a remaster?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I saw this video on Youtube that was basically trying to convince people that Xenoblade Chronicles DE is a remake rather than a remaster (at least, the original definition of a remake).

Since we've spent a good amount of time talking about it, what do you all think about it? Does is it count as a remake or a remaster?
oh they are DEFINITELY adding a buttload of new content. I almost fully expect an Elma cameo now

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
From the looks of it, XC:DE is a straight remake, like Crash Bandicoot. Rebuilt with new assets, but trying to be the game it was when it first came out. Not a what I'd call a reimagine remake like Resident Evil 2 or Final Fantasy 7, trying to take the original concept for the game and try to realize that to the best they can with modern tech and design standards, which is honestly more appropriate for games from the PS1/N64/Saturn era. It looks great and I appreciate seeing the 2 side by side like this since I've never played the oppertunity and I was just assuming remaster since that's what everyone says it is it seems.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm also on the side of DE being a straight-up remake. It just reminds me way too much of the Pokémon remakes, which are undeniably, well, remakes.

Though now that the subject has been brought up, I really hope they don't change the ice physics for DE.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

Thank you so much for sharing this. You know, it's been so long since this game was announced that I almost forgot how much better it looks than the original. Definitive Edition is absolutely a remake, but I would argue that the original is so effing good that you really don't even need to change that much in the transition. This would also free up plenty of dev time to give us some bonus content, like an Elma, Rex, or even a KOS-MOS cameo. I do think it's pretty concerning that we haven't heard much about this game, or from Nintendo, in general, this year. Maybe there are coronavirus concerns?

If we don't get another Xenoblade rep as DLC in this game I will feel like the franchise got shafted in Ultimate.
I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason Xenoblade isn't the series with the overall worst representation in Ultimate is that Final Fantasy exists.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thank you so much for sharing this. You know, it's been so long since this game was announced that I almost forgot how much better it looks than the original. Definitive Edition is absolutely a remake, but I would argue that the original is so effing good that you really don't even need to change that much in the transition. This would also free up plenty of dev time to give us some bonus content, like an Elma, Rex, or even a KOS-MOS cameo. I do think it's pretty concerning that we haven't heard much about this game, or from Nintendo, in general, this year. Maybe there are coronavirus concerns?

I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason Xenoblade isn't the series with the overall worst representation in Ultimate is that Final Fantasy exists.
I definitely think Coronavirus is throwing a wrench in Nintendo's plans. Heck, even Japan as a whole. Schools there are closed till april, and the Olympics might be canceled if it's not contained by May.

I am curious how XCDE's UI will be reworked...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I definitely think Coronavirus is throwing a wrench in Nintendo's plans. Heck, even Japan as a whole. Schools there are closed till april, and the Olympics might be canceled if it's not contained by May.

Personally I'm hoping the UI stays mostly the same, especially the map system. As much as I like X, its map system isn't quite as good as 1's, though that's mostly due to the hassle of it being on the Gamepad. And 2's map system is just a big, annoying mess.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm considering the possibility that Coronavirus is upsetting Nintendo announcements at the moment. Would be a good time to announce some DLC stuff or whatnot if it's in the pipeline, but I can see physical games release dates be really hard to set at the moment. At least I'm gonna be distracted soon by 4 games I'm super excited for in the space of a month, but for Switch diehards it's getting to be rough.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Heck, even GDC is getting delayed because of the virus. GDC! I hate to join in on the coronavirus theory due to my lack of knowledge on the matter, but as time goes on, it becomes more likely to have done SOMETHING.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Schools in Japan are closed until April?! Damn this Coronavirus ain't playing around. I pray they will be safe over there and I pray we will be safe too along with everyone else on Earth.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Personally I'm hoping the UI stays mostly the same, especially the map system. As much as I like X, its map system isn't quite as good as 1's, though that's mostly due to the hassle of it being on the Gamepad. And 2's map system is just a big, annoying mess.
I actually think it would be better for the battle UI to be like in Xenoblade two. Rather than an aligned battle pallet in the middle of the bottom screen, that you have to scroll by, to get to the art you want to use ( like one and X), put four arts in each corner of the screen, and each art is assigned to a specific button, so no scrolling is needed. Since xenoblade one does not have blades, no blade switch will be required, all arts are going to be accessible on the reach of a single button press.

For commands (and monado arts), my idea is doing like torna. Hold a shoulder button, and all the possible commands will be in place of the arts, so a single button press will give the command. Hold another shoulder button, and the monado arts will show in place of the regular arts, when controlling Shulk.

targetting should also be like torna. We have two more shoulder buttons left. Press one of them, and the enemy target shown up, hold it and press y or a, to swap target. the remaining shoulder button should be jump. I put jump on the shoulder button (like xenobalde x) to fix a problem xenoblade two had, during battle, you could not jump (unless you put your weapon away), which could be sometimes a problem, when fighting in places with uneven ground.

Press + during battle for chain attack.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Was also thinking about if they could pull-off a demo for the definitive edition, like Dragon quest 11 S, they could go up to the colony 9 attack and well, you know, that event. That could be a nice hook to make people want to check the whole game. I know demos can be double edged swords but I think here it would help push it sales (a.k.a me thinking strategies they could apply to help 1DE sell a lot, but not because of 1DE itself, but to increase the likehood of a X port).

On the matter of battle UI, I was thinking I would like the controls I described earlier for a Xenoblade X definitive edition too, but that would be trick, as X has more commands than 1 and I am not sure if there is enough buttons to make it work, for instance, if I recall well, with a skell, we already used two shoulder buttons just to control fly height, and one more just for that skell grab mechanic (during battle).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright everyone. Today Elma is getting rated on Rate Their Chances. If you genuinely think she still has a chance, you know what to do. That being said, they're also rating Rex today, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got incredibly skewed scores...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
RIP Fiora though, they could have rated her along with them but I guess it’s only two at a time

how’s Elma faring at least?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not good...but I expected that
Regardless of how you feel about Rex, I’m surprised people think he still has a chance imo. The whole “consolation prize” speech Sakurai gave for his costume makes it feel like he’ll have to wait for next game to be playable. That’s how I interpreted it at least.

maybe if Rex gets enough demand he WILL be the Chrom/K. Rool of Smash 6 - relevancy time window passed but made it due to sheer demand alone

but for now, either of my two Girls(TM) fare a better chance if only for the fact Sakurai didn’t explicitly dismiss them

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Regardless of how you feel about Rex, I’m surprised people think he still has a chance imo. The whole “consolation prize” speech Sakurai gave for his costume makes it feel like he’ll have to wait for next game to be playable. That’s how I interpreted it at least.

maybe if Rex gets enough demand he WILL be the Chrom/K. Rool of Smash 6 - relevancy time window passed but made it due to sheer demand alone

but for now, either of my two Girls(TM) fare a better chance if only for the fact Sakurai didn’t explicitly dismiss them
Yeah. i get where you're coming from.

For me personally i don't really care at this point, who get's in. In my heart i want Fiora, another part of me wants Elma but if Rex gets in, i will
be ok with it as well. I liked Rex and i loved my time with Xenoblade 2 and the Torna-DLC (where is my girl Lora?).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah. i get where you're coming from.

For me personally i don't really care at this point, who get's in. In my heart i want Fiora, another part of me wants Elma but if Rex gets in, i will
be ok with it as well. I liked Rex and i loved my time with Xenoblade 2 and the Torna-DLC (where is my girl Lora?).
I’m surprised Torna didn’t get spirits. I know Malos and Jin are designed by Tetsuya Nomura so that might explain their absence but at least give us Spirits of Lora, Haze, Aegaeon, Addam, Hugo and Minoth

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I’m surprised Torna didn’t get spirits. I know Malos and Jin are designed by Tetsuya Nomura so that might explain their absence but at least give us Spirits of Lora, Haze, Aegaeon, Addam, Hugo and Minoth
I know, right? At the very least Lora should've been a spirit.
But if you consider how many spirits we miss from Xenoblade 2's main group (crys in Pandoria) it's not really that surprising that Torna didn't get anything.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know, right? At the very least Lora should've been a spirit.
But if you consider how many spirits we miss from Xenoblade 2's main group (crys in Pandoria) it's not really that surprising that Torna didn't get anything.
Hell, Tokyo Mirage Sessions only has the one Tsubasa Spirit. No Itsuki, Kiria, Touma, Eleonora...

... oh **** it dawned on me. Eleonora shares the same name with the X character. WHAT IF X ELEONORA IS ON ELMA’S DLC SPIRIT BOARD????

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Okay, but that was also a statement he made when the possibility of a second Fighters Pass was unknown. I personally believe that Rex still has a shot since we actually know that he was considered at one point by Sakurai.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

To be fair, people refuse to believe Assist Trophies deconfirm, so is it REALLY that surprising?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, but that was also a statement he made when the possibility of a second Fighters Pass was unknown. I personally believe that Rex still has a shot since we actually know that he was considered at one point by Sakurai.
I’ll give you that, that he did consider Rex, but considered doesn’t always mean he’ll revisit it. Look at Dixie, Chorus Kids, Decidueye (who doesn’t even have a Spirit OR Pokeball), Geno (need a legit source on this one, I’m unsure), Heihachi (Sakurai was worried about loyalty to mechanics there) and more. Chrom was revisited due to the demand, even though he ended up being a Roy echo. Isabelle was also an AT in 4 but made the jump to playable in Ultimate due to both popularity and demand too.

I’m not sure how much demand Dixie or Chorus Kids got though. time will tell wrt them and Rex, just be prepared in the case they don’t make it. I am of course prepared if Elma doesn’t, it’s all up to Nintendo pitching the characters to Sakurai and him making the final decision at this point in DLC

what would nevertheless help is rallying support and demand for Rex. It worked for Chrom and K. Rool, and even if he doesn’t make it in FPV2 or any potential future DLC if any, Sakurai might make it still happen someday.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Boy, reading Rate Your Chances never fails to make me feel crap about a character's chances. Not that I needed to be -told- that Elma was never getting in.

I do wonder if a Switch revision (a 'Switch Pro' or 'New Switch') would improve XCX's chances of being ported. XB3D was released within months of the New 3DS, after all. There's been speculation of another new Switch model and more Wii U ports for a while. Mind the same insiders who spout this sort of thing were also claiming XCX was going to be ported before the Switch was even revealed and they've been wrong for years now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Boy, reading Rate Your Chances never fails to make me feel crap about a character's chances. Not that I needed to be -told- that Elma was never getting in.

I do wonder if a Switch revision (a 'Switch Pro' or 'New Switch') would improve XCX's chances of being ported. XB3D was released within months of the New 3DS, after all. There's been speculation of another new Switch model and more Wii U ports for a while. Mind the same insiders who spout this sort of thing were also claiming XCX was going to be ported before the Switch was even revealed and they've been wrong for years now.
I don't necessarily think you'd need a Switch Ultra. If Witcher 3 could be ported to OG Switch...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't necessarily think you'd need a Switch Ultra. If Witcher 3 could be ported to OG Switch...
True, but it might allow the game to look and run better and it would give their new hardware an exclusive to help prompt people to upgrade.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I found this in the Geno thread

keep in mind also the Pass 2 card is due out the 23rd, and Pass 1’s card only came out after Joker’s reveal. Plus, the “lot of reveals” would surely also include BOTW2 and Xenoblade Definitive. I sure hope the 12th Direct becomes a thing...

Calamitas

Smash Champion

keep in mind also the Pass 2 card is due out the 23rd, and Pass 1’s card only came out after Joker’s reveal. Plus, the “lot of reveals” would surely also include BOTW2 and Xenoblade Definitive. I sure hope the 12th Direct becomes a thing...
So, who's that guy, and what's his track record?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Permission to make a joke about Uncharted coming to Smash?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so... Xenoblade Definitive Edition might drop the day of a hypothetical March 26 direct. tweet linked bc swearing

that or we'll for sure get Xeno DE info that direct. if by some miracle it DOES drop March 26 though... we could well see Xenoblade X DE within the same year.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey so... Xenoblade Definitive Edition might drop the day of a hypothetical March 26 direct. tweet linked bc swearing

that or we'll for sure get Xeno DE info that direct. if by some miracle it DOES drop March 26 though... we could well see Xenoblade X DE within the same year.
Now now, we haven't even heard if that Indie showcase is happening on the 18th. Don't count your Rooks before they leave the pod.

Did I do that allegory right?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Yeah, I also heavily doubt that DE is getting a shadow drop. Some new information on the game is however long overdue.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

I HIGHLY doubt that a game like this is going to shadow drop. For an eShop-Download-Game like an Indie-Game? Sure, why not but not a full price Nintendo-Game.

But if, for some reason, this is true then...BOY this month is going to kill me in terms of games to play. I just got Overwatch, Doom 1 and Worms W.M.D. on sale, im waiting for my copy of My Hero Ones Justice 2 to arrive and One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 is coming at the end of the month.

It's not that i have a life or something. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I HIGHLY doubt that a game like this is going to shadow drop. For an eShop-Download-Game like an Indie-Game? Sure, why not but not a full price Nintendo-Game.

But if, for some reason, this is true then...BOY this month is going to kill me in terms of games to play. I just got Overwatch, Doom 1 and Worms W.M.D. on sale, im waiting for my copy of My Hero Ones Justice 2 to arrive and One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 is coming at the end of the month.

It's not that i have a life or something. :4pacman:
Gotta adapt in these times man. It'll be infectious to be catching up on all these games when you're sitting in.

Top Bottom