• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I came up with a moveset concept for Elma I'm rather proud of.
Her main gimmicks are Weapon Change and Position-Based Attacks. As a Full Metal Jaguar, her playstyle emphasizes constant movement and relocation to attack enemy weak points, swapping between ranged and close-ranged attacks when needed. Attacks like Shadow Strike, Sliding Slinger, Shadowrunner and Sky High allow her to maneuver around and attack enemies from behind, below, above etc for more damage. Her Down Specials trade off taking damage for more killing power or survivability. Maneuver around your opponent, strike at their sides and then go in with boosts for the KO!
Neutral Special is Weapon Change. Swap between dual guns or dual swords, simple enough. This changes her Smash attacks and her Special attacks.
Gun Moveset
Up Special: Phog's Sky High. Similar to Zero Suit Samus's recovery
Side Special: Sliding Slinger! Trips up an opponent if you cross them while using it, sort of like a dashing slide like Mario/Mega Man have but she fires ahead while using it. If you fall off an edge during it, you go into free fall. Yes, it's like Shulk's Back Slash, suicidability and all.
Down Special: Ghost Factory. Take between 9-14% damage to gain superarmor/Decoy. It's a very powerful effect, but it wears off after a low amount of hits or a short amount of time.
Up Smash: Similar to Samus's up smash, she takes both guns and fires overhead. Think of a clock face; she starts at 10 and 2 o'clock with her arms crossed, and ends at 2 and 10 o'clock with her arms uncrossed. Based on Violent Streak.
Side Smash: Executioner! Fires straight ahead, switching between guns. Good range and it has great killing power at the very end of the bullet's range, but you can jump over or duck to avoid it, and it's rather long.
Down Smash: Also based on Violent Streak. Same as her up smash, but aiming down, starting at 4 and 8, and ending at 8 and 4.
Sword Moveset
Up Special: Shadowrunner. She disappears temporarily, then reappears and attacks.
Side Special: Shadowstrike! A combination of Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker, and Ganondorf's Dark Dive. If her attack hits the front of an opponent, it does some damage and little knockback. If it connects to the back of an opponent, it works like Zero Suit Samus or Sheik's down special, and she meteors the opponent while leaping off of them!
Down Special: Blood Sacrifice. In exchange for 9-14% damage, you gain greatly increased KO power for 14 seconds. It starts decaying after 7 seconds. Will you go all-in with Blood Sacrifice, or tough it out with Ghost Factory?
Up Smash: Similar to her animation for many of her buff arts, she twirls her swords above her head, then brings them down to her sides.
Side Smash: Stream Edge! She attacks overhead and horizontally constantly while moving forward. Totally open from behind, though.
Down Smash: Stabs at both sides at the same time; think Marth's down-tilt but mirrored.
Other Moves/Details
Jab: starts with two basic slashes, jab combo is Hundred Shells (repeatedly slashing) and jab finisher is the cross-slash + projectile.
Side-tilt: Side-slash! Comes out quick, but weak unless it strikes an enemy's back.
Final Smash: The Verus Cain skell, naturally. Comes with a huge gravity sword. Attacks are slow to come out but can easily KO. And if you land a KO (or if you're losing by a lot), there's a chance you'll get an Overdrive Extend and gain some precious more seconds to Skell around.
Rolls: she dives ahead or backwards like she was in a John Woo movie. Her entire moveset is gunkata and cool gunplay.
Palettes: after her default, palettes 2-6 are different rarity variants with different headgear (ie purple outfit with heart glasse, orange outfit with scouter). 7th palette is the red bikini top, bottoms and snorkal to go with Shulk's swimsuit outfit. 8th palette is her post-game form and armor.

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
I support this!
My only major concern is Rex.
If a Xenoblade rep is gonna happen, it’s Rex, sigh.

I really wish Elma had more chances, but with Rex on her way it’s going to be difficult.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
XCX was by far my favorite and most played Wii U game. While I support Rex and Pyra first, I will always have a place in my heart and some support for Elma too.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind having BOTH Rex & Pyra AND Elma in the next game.

One question though: how would her guns work? Would they be like Bayonetta's Bullet Arts or Bullet Climax?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I haven't played Xenoblade X, but I am a big fan of 2 so naturally I support Rex and Pyra, but I don't believe the two fanbases need to clash with each other. Having both Elma and Rex is ideal.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
My stance on Xenoblade characters are as follows.

- Shulk, as the longsword character.
- A dual sword character like Fiora, Elma, or Morag.
- Finally that shield character.

Now if I had to pick a dual sword character, I would like Morag since she was my favorite from Xenoblade 2. But if Elma is chosen to rep Xenoblade X, that would leave Tora as a rep for Xenoblade 2.

To make a long story short, I support Elma if only that means we get the most complete representation for Xenoblade.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, she would probably be a lot more fun and perhaps unique, I suppose it has to do with how they implement Pyra into Rex. I wish this was the more likely choice. You never know, Fire Emblem got 3 unique characters last time. Two from one of Nintendo's largest prospects is not entirely out of the question.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I honestly see Rex swing his Monado like longsword and just naturally assume the worst when it comes.
Narratively, I also think that Rex is just the worst.

But you know maybe Sakurai will surprise us.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given how vastly different the tones and combat systems of both games are, Elma/Rook and Rex & Pyra could both/all make it in.

It'd create another Fire Emblem situation among haters but... they're haters, what you gonna do?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In your face :kirby:! Can't mimic and steal Elma's useful moves and use those moves against her with your "Copy Ability"! :demon::evil: :cool::troll:
Easy fix.

When swaping Elma does a slash or fires off a volley. Solves Kirby's problem and gives her some more combo-ability

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In your face :kirby:! Can't mimic and steal Elma's useful moves and use those moves against her with your "Copy Ability"! :demon::evil: :cool::troll:
Changing weapons would change Kirby's up, side and down smashes, so he has a sword set and a gun set. Inspired by other copy abilities Kirby has when possible (side-smash dual-swords might be his rapidfire slashing with the sword from KSS).

KatKit

Smash Lord
Haha, how fitting.

And then at the end she could say "strength comes from experience, that's true on any planet," after beating on the rest of the roster.

In retrospect, a lot of her quotes would work well in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Been thinking about something

I think her true form could still be an alternate costume, but they’d have to take some...design liberties with it, like they did with F!Corrin. Moreso for the “booty window” tbh, not sure how though

Even if Elma doesn’t make it in (which I hope she does make it in) I hope we at the very least get X’s awesome soundtrack in ❤

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I was wondering, even if Elma misses the base roster, considering it is extremely likely that the next Xenoblade game will be X2, she would still have a good shot as a DLC character.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I remember Elma was one of my top picks when the Smash 4 ballot was still around. I thought she was a shoe in but unfortunately that simply was not the case. I'd still love to see her get in but I think we're gonna need a Xenoblade X port to Switch before Sakurai even considers her.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm hoping Uncontrollable, Sylvalum, and Cauldros themes make it in, at the very least. I wouldn't mind a medley of sorts. X had a pretty good soundtrack; there wasn't a song that I didn't like.

Been thinking about something

I think her true form could still be an alternate costume, but they’d have to take some...design liberties with it, like they did with F!Corrin. Moreso for the “booty window” tbh, not sure how though

Even if Elma doesn’t make it in (which I hope she does make it in) I hope we at the very least get X’s awesome soundtrack in ❤
That's not hard to fix; they'd probably color over the transparent parts with black or light purple or something. Heck, they did something similar in the English version of X with different pieces of armor. I actually preferred the 'censored' versions more often than not.

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
I don’t think Elma will be playable since Rex exists, so sad. But I’ll keep dreaming.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I'm hoping Uncontrollable, Sylvalum, and Cauldros themes make it in, at the very least. I wouldn't mind a medley of sorts. X had a pretty good soundtrack; there wasn't a song that I didn't like.
The soundtrack really was amazing, just implemented pretty badly. Wish the flying song didn't start up every time you would jump.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Another supporter here

Xenoblade X is one of my favourites games in Wii U and would love to see Elma as a fighter along a stage of Mira with its beautiful soundtrack

It's sad that Xenoblade 2 will probably take the spotlight with Rex and there won't be much content from X. I hope I'm wrong

I wish both Elma and Rex (with Pyra) could be newcomers with their own stages. Xenoblade deserves both of them in Smash Bros

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I was really hoping for Elma to make it in DLC up until the end. I could easily have seen her in instead of Corrin for the same reasons they made it, just for X instead of Fates.

My biggest worry now is hat because X didn't perform so well critically, and XC2 is such a success, that they'll skip Elma over entirely for Rex - which would be a shame, because Elma has such a unique moveset potential as a dual-weapon wielder, which even if she just has her colossal guns is still enough to differentiate her from Bayonetta's dual-guns.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was really hoping for Elma to make it in DLC up until the end. I could easily have seen her in instead of Corrin for the same reasons they made it, just for X instead of Fates.

My biggest worry now is hat because X didn't perform so well critically, and XC2 is such a success, that they'll skip Elma over entirely for Rex - which would be a shame, because Elma has such a unique moveset potential as a dual-weapon wielder, which even if she just has her colossal guns is still enough to differentiate her from Bayonetta's dual-guns.
X actually did great for an unadvertised (I assume, it's Nintendo) JRPG on a dying system.
Hopefully they actually do have plans for X2. I know Elma was requested a lot towards the tail end of DLC...

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
X actually did great for an unadvertised (I assume, it's Nintendo) JRPG on a dying system.
Hopefully they actually do have plans for X2. I know Elma was requested a lot towards the tail end of DLC...
Yeah, I know. I was meaning moreso on a player level there was more of a divisive opinion on it, which could impact how Sakurai looks at it (and Elma in particular) for playable fighter status. It did pretty awesome for how little it had going for it, which is why I'm hoping that Elma still has a chance.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, I know. I was meaning moreso on a player level there was more of a divisive opinion on it, which could impact how Sakurai looks at it (and Elma in particular) for playable fighter status. It did pretty awesome for how little it had going for it, which is why I'm hoping that Elma still has a chance.
Ahh, well, yeah, it's definitely more divisive by fans. A shame, i loved it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't think that X being divisive is a problem. I mean in Smash 4 the majority of Metroid's content was taken from Other M.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I don't think Xenoblade 2's success greatly diminishes Elma's chances. The roster is usually decided early on in production, so there's no reason to remove her if she is one of the newcomers.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree with that. Xenoblade X really isn't even that divisive. If Other M got the bulk of Metroid content, Elma shouldn't be hindered by that.

More worrying is that Xenoblade 2 is out and making waves atm. I've seen a lot of support for Rex and Pyra. (I wonder if Sakurai might have lightened up on recency for popular characters anticipating that newer characters could be DLC anyways.)

Of course, if X on switch or X2 is confirmed, Elma could also just be DLC.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
People seem really insistent that this Smash will be all about Switch characters despite previous games never being like that. We've already seen Inklings with a Splatoon 1 basis in their design, and in Smash 4 we saw 3-4 characters relevant thanks to the Wii (Shulk, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Villager arguably). We can easily fit in Wonder Red and Elma before moving onto even older characters or planning for new ones.

It'd make more sense for Switch characters to be DLC anyways, they'd muster up more excitement and it'd give Sakurai more time to do them justice. Most Wii U games worth a damn are going to be ported over but they're still relevant now.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
This article says that Sakurai purchased a robot figure with a rifle. He was apparently using the rifle for reference on his new game (which is now most likely Smash Switch). The robot part makes me think of the Skells, but I may be overthinking... Thoughts?

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
This article says that Sakurai purchased a robot figure with a rifle. He was apparently using the rifle for reference on his new game (which is now most likely Smash Switch). The robot part makes me think of the Skells, but I may be overthinking... Thoughts?
That, or Custom Robo.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd be down for Elma, loved X though I didn't get that far into it before I traded my Wii U away for the Switch. Really hoping they rerelease XCX.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Supposedly this is what the model Sakurai bought looks like, assuming he got the same model. The way the grip at the front twists isn't really similar to any Skell sidearm I could find. Then again it doesn't look quite like any particular Splat Charger model I could find. I remember Sakurai once posted a mannequin in a samurai-sitting type pose that ended up being for Greninja's crouch animation so maybe it doesn't mean what we think it does at all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing we should remember is even though he/she is an AFGNCAAP and in terms of story Elma is basically the protagonist, there's every chance that Rook could be the XCX Smash character.

I'm remembering how Tom Nook was the AC character of choice on the boards for the Brawl hype.

Only thing against Rook though, they have no marketing default like Robin, Corrin, the Inklings and villager

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Nah, it'd definitely be Elma. The devs have pretty much admitted she's the main character iirc and would be in a sequel.
In fact, I think they've brought up her being in Smash at some point.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say on the matter of DLC, I can see Elma as a Base character (along with Shulk) and Rex & Pyra being DLC but not the other way around.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nah, it'd definitely be Elma. The devs have pretty much admitted she's the main character iirc and would be in a sequel.
In fact, I think they've brought up her being in Smash at some point.
This interview mentions Smash inclusions from X but nothing about Elma.
GamesBeat: We’ve had Shulk in Smash Bros. That must be a neat thing to see. Now we know Nintendo is doing downloadable content for Smash Bros. Would you like to see Xenoblade Chronicles X characters in Smash as well?
Takahashi: I’m not entirely sure, but you could always ask Mr. Sakurai about that. [laughs]
Some devs ask for their characters in Smash. I don't think Takahashi really cares either way.

Top Bottom