• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The wider fanbase has a pretty major stigma against X because it's different. A lot of people who were big fans of the original or came to X after 2 didn't enjoy X for one reason or another. It's a shame. That really manifests on the subreddit (and, I've noticed, at con photoshoots).

I hate even saying stuff like that because I hate sounding like those conspiracy theorists who are convinced people/devs/fans hate their most-wanted, but it's just one of those things.
It's a sad day when the common masses prefer yet another generic shounen anime protagonists than someone more refreshing as far as protagonists go. Even more so when said shounen protagonist has more chances to get in.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
It's a sad day when the common masses prefer yet another generic shounen anime protagonists than someone more refreshing as far as protagonists go. Even more so when said shounen protagonist has more chances to get in.
True, but I think it has less to do with Elma but more about X being on the Wii U.

The Wii U had a small user base, and because of that, alot of people missed out on the game completely.

However, with Elma being released as DLC in XC2 and her being exposed to a larger audience for the first time, more and more people are getting interested in her. She stands out, and if X had also released on the Switch (*prays for a port*), it wouldn't be surprising if she eclipses Rex in popularity.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah...there's a lot of stuff that doesn't exactly click with me with the larger -blade series. There's a lot of good stuff, like Shulk, Fiora, the music of course, some story beats...but man, X was so much more up my alley.

After reading the opinions on Torna though I'm gonna give it another shot with that. I feel like I'm gonna like it a lot.

D

Deleted member

It's less that they necessarily PREFER him as much as they don't know enough about Elma to like her more then Rex. XCX, as much as I love it, didn't sell anywhere NEAR as much as XC2 because of how the Wii U flopped (Switch port please). It seems like most people like other characters from XC2 more then Rex anyways, it's just that if theres any XC2 rep its gonna be Rex

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
With the way people on the Xenoblade subreddit talk about X, you would think it was this huge bomb that risked killing the franchise. I know that the Wii U really didn't do well, which obviously means XC2 sold more then XCX but come on... It also depends if Nintendo/Monolith sees X as something they want to forget.

CyberSkies

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronax_master
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304
Might be a bit of a weird place to drop this but uhhh... can you play torna without beating XC2's main story? I haven't looked into the dlc like at all outside of hearing how good it is but the main game is... not the most fun I've ever had, which I have posted about here before.

Also something I'd like to share here since I'm not sure how aware everyone is:
https://nintendoeverything.com/mono...lade-sequel-x-sequel-and-an-original-project/

D

Deleted member

Might be a bit of a weird place to drop this but uhhh... can you play torna without beating XC2's main story? I haven't looked into the dlc like at all outside of hearing how good it is but the main game is... not the most fun I've ever had, which I have posted about here before.

https://nintendoeverything.com/mono...lade-sequel-x-sequel-and-an-original-project/
You CAN, but characters who were given a lot of depth in the main story seem generic and pointless because it assumes that you've finished the main game before Torna so it doesn't spend much time developing then more. There's also a couple "giant flea from space" moments that seem utterly pointless but are major callbacks (callforwards?) to the main game

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Thanks for the link. I'm so sick of hearing in the main thread about how X isn't going to get a port or sequel every time I bring up Elma in my DLC predictions.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The wider fanbase has a pretty major stigma against X because it's different. A lot of people who were big fans of the original or came to X after 2 didn't enjoy X for one reason or another. It's a shame. That really manifests on the subreddit (and, I've noticed, at con photoshoots).

I hate even saying stuff like that because I hate sounding like those conspiracy theorists who are convinced people/devs/fans hate their most-wanted, but it's just one of those things.
Mmyeah. I honestly feel like I'm in the minority, in that I got into the series with the original back when it first came out here in Europe, liked X (though I only really came around to after my replay early this year), was wary of 2 the moment I saw it because of the terrible character designs and ended up pretty much disliking if not outright loathing it (although I'll admit there are some good things about), and then loved Torna again. 2 to me is just something where I barely understand why people like it.

I've already put over 300 hours into XCX, and I'd put another 300 in if it got ported to the Switch
I currently have about 240 hours in my second playthrough of X, and I already did pretty much everything the game really considers for 100% completion. Every segment, every party member mission, every basic mission. . . I honestly wouldn't even know what else to do to get to 300 hours.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
With the way people on the Xenoblade subreddit talk about X, you would think it was this huge bomb that risked killing the franchise. I know that the Wii U really didn't do well, which obviously means XC2 sold more then XCX but come on... It also depends if Nintendo/Monolith sees X as something they want to forget.
Which they don't, since Monolith had already came out and said they're interested in doing a sequel, and even if a port isn't in the near future there was something good to be taken from that interview: Takahashi revealed that he still goes back to playing X every now and then, revealing that he does like the game. And of course, let's not forget Elma being sufficiently advertised as DLC in XC2.
Seriously, the only thing I hate about the anti-X fans is how f***ing revisionist they are. They really like to make X appear like Monolith's biggest shame, and how it was this financial and critical failure to the point that Nintendo wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Like, where the f**** do they get this **** from? This is why I really hope Elma is in Smash and the next Xenoblade game ends up being the sequel.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Which they don't, since Monolith had already came out and said they're interested in doing a sequel, and even if a port isn't in the near future there was something good to be taken from that interview: Takahashi revealed that he still goes back to playing X every now and then, revealing that he does like the game. And of course, let's not forget Elma being sufficiently advertised as DLC in XC2.
Seriously, the only thing I hate about the anti-X fans is how f***ing revisionist they are. They really like to make X appear like Monolith's biggest shame, and how it was this financial and critical failure to the point that Nintendo wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Like, where the f**** do they get this **** from? This is why I really hope Elma is in Smash and the next Xenoblade game ends up being the sequel.
Yeah but even IF Monolith or Takahashi likes the game, what about Nintendo themselves? If they ARE the ones picking the DLC characters, most likely for advertising purposes then that that almost sounds like Elma has no chance unless there's an announcement of a port.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but even IF Monolith or Takahashi likes the game, what about Nintendo themselves? If they ARE the ones picking the DLC characters, most likely for advertising purposes then that that almost sounds like Elma has no chance unless there's an announcement of a port.
That's honestly the biggest thing going against Elma right now, with no Xenoblade title in the near future (because Monolith Soft is working on their new IP. Nintendo may not want to give Xenoblade a chance of a rep right now if they're trying to advertise characters

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Well, it was never specified whether or not each and every DLC character was offered and chosen for advertising purposes. There aught to be choices that they know will sell because they are well known or simply look good in the general masses' eyes.

With 5 different slots, there is quite the high chance each character was selected to fulfill different purposes.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Iwata was very impressed with the game so Nintendo overall probably doesn't want to forget about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo funds a port of X, I mean, it's almost guaranteed to sell more copies than it did on the Wii U with all the new Xenoblade fans. Porting can't cost as much as the initial game's entire development.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Didnt Monolith Soft lend a bunch of XBX devs to help out with Breath of the Wild? That is a huge Nintendo game that was extremely successful and it was made a timely reality because they had devs from Monolith help...
If Nintendo isnt focusing purely on marketing... This bodes well for a Xenoblade rep, especially Elma.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Mmyeah. I honestly feel like I'm in the minority, in that I got into the series with the original back when it first came out here in Europe, liked X (though I only really came around to after my replay early this year), was wary of 2 the moment I saw it because of the terrible character designs and ended up pretty much disliking if not outright loathing it (although I'll admit there are some good things about), and then loved Torna again. 2 to me is just something where I barely understand why people like it.

I currently have about 240 hours in my second playthrough of X, and I already did pretty much everything the game really considers for 100% completion. Every segment, every party member mission, every basic mission. . . I honestly wouldn't even know what else to do to get to 300 hours.
Half my time spent in XCX was literally just running around NLA because it was so much fun. Also, I'm on my third playthrough, and over all my playthroughs I've put in 500 hours into the game.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
It's so weird the hate that X gets...
Honestly i loved creating my own character, but they literally weren't even the main focus, kind of just a way to follow the rest of the cast around and be interactive. And I LIKED the plot? And all the characters really were fleshed out if you took the time. I mean yes the collectible side quests obviously were annoying but if you needed help all you had to do was google..And I was obsessed with the worlds they built. I thought it was COOL and people saying it was a bad game are just idk weird.

D

Deleted member

I was about to say how sick it would be if Your Voice was in Ultimate but at this point just like add the entire soundtrack to Ultimate. The entire ****ing soundtrack. Including NLA night. ESPECIALLY NLA NIGHT. UH UH YEAH YEAH all over these fools

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The thing about XBX's atmosphere vs. XB2 is that, right off the bat, you're venturing into the unknown. There are no towns besides your main hub. You don't know where your current path will even lead you. The dangerous monsters on the field are clear as day (the amount of surprise buckers in the beginning of 2 made me dislike the gameplay right then and there) and you already feel a sense of duty and fulfillment within the first hour of the game.

...Uhh.. before I continue further I'll leave it at that. I don't want to come off as a XB2 hater because I don't think XB2 is bad, just overhyped.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
The thing about XBX's atmosphere vs. XB2 is that, right off the bat, you're venturing into the unknown. There are no towns besides your main hub. You don't know where your current path will even lead you. The dangerous monsters on the field are clear as day (the amount of surprise buckers in the beginning of 2 made me dislike the gameplay right then and there) and you already feel a sense of duty and fulfillment within the first hour of the game.

...Uhh.. before I continue further I'll leave it at that. I don't want to come off as a XB2 hater because I don't think XB2 is bad, just overhyped.
No, please do continue on.
giphy.gif

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Tbh I feel like these people didn't even give X a chance when they start trashing it. I was a new fan brought in by XC2 but when I went back to play the other two games I loved both of them. X is just a little bit different, but that's fine. Look at Majora's Mask and how great that game is despite being trashed so much early on! I feel like when the Xenoblade franchise grows X is gonna be remembered like the Majora's Mask of the franchise: trashed early on but still an incredible game
It is true alot of people trashtalk Xenoblade X for the sake of it, but I feel one of the bigger reasons people where dissapointed in it, was because they had the mindset that it would be like the original Xenoblade. If you have this mindset X most likely is not the game for you and the original Xenoblade laid the bar very high.

I also feel it was a bit of a bad decision to develop XC2 first, when you ended X on a major cliffhanger. Because i'm confident if X2 concludes the main Mira plot and resolves all the answers people have, X + X2 will be seen as one complete package and there would be less hate.

Aeon_Shadow Aeon_Shadow

I think most Rex fans, more support him because he is well the main protagonist from that game and he is a necessary poison to get Mythra or Pyra, or well thats how it is for me atleast

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I also do wanna say that I don’t hate XC2 either.
I liked it quite a bit, I really just think it STRONGLY disliked the voice acting of Rex mainly, and I really didn’t find the outfits for most of the female blades appealing...I didn’t CARE to much and I wasn’t like offended or anything but I was just like hmmmm y no clothes

But that said I loved nia, morag, zeke and Pyra and Mythra.
They were all so cool to me but Rex just kinda bored me...I honestly didn’t usually use him in my party when I had the option.(Also how could you not when you had the option to ride on dromarchs back like cmon)
So I really do want another rep in SOME Xenoblade fashion, but my fear would be that it would be a “you can only control Rex, with Pyra/mythra acting as like the Pokémon trainer” which is what I think we would mainly get, if Rex was the sole rep.

However, some Xeno is FOR SURE better than none:)

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I liked it quite a bit, I really just think it STRONGLY disliked the voice acting of Rex mainly, and I really didn’t find the outfits for most of the female blades appealing...I didn’t CARE to much and I wasn’t like offended or anything but I was just like hmmmm y no clothes

They were all so cool to me but Rex just kinda bored me...I honestly didn’t usually use him in my party when I had the option.(Also how could you not when you had the option to ride on dromarchs back like cmon)
So I really do want another rep in SOME Xenoblade fashion, but my fear would be that it would be a “you can only control Rex, with Pyra/mythra acting as like the Pokémon trainer” which is what I think we would mainly get, if Rex was the sole rep.

I only really use Rex in Xenoblade 2, because of how Insane crit healing is with Mythra (applies to Torna to)

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Where do you people see “widespread hate” for X? The most I’ve seen is widespread indifference, which makes sense given that, you know, more people played 2 than X.
Edit: I actually see a lot more XC2 hate here than XCX hate in the Rex thread lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

tbh the fanservice bothered me mostly because of how inconsistent it is

I know that it's supposed to be that Blades have fancervicy designs but humans don't but then Nia gets a fancervicy outfit later on and Zeke isn't wearing a shirt and Godfrey is fully clothed but Gorg isn't and Pyra is literally wearing a one-piece swimsuit without a back or most of a front but Pandoria is (kinda) reasonably dressed and why the **** does Roc have gigantic bag ******* even though he's a guy what the hell

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Oh, I could go on. The world in 2 just doesn't really manage to feel alive. This is partly because the various areas are completely disconnected from one another, but also because the NPCs don't have any kind of personality or depth to them. Contrast that to the way that NPCs were handled in 1 and X, where the Affinity Chart was wholy dedicated to keeping track of NPCs, their personalities and relationship, which could all actually change as you progress with sidequests. And this doesn't even mention the sidequests that actually flesh out your party members.

. . .Look, I should stress, there were still plenty of things that I liked about two. The way that you can just fully customize your difficulty is one big stand-out thing, and the music is of course as great as ever. But there were simply so many things that rubbed me the wrong way about this game that I'd rather not be reminded of it any major way.

why the **** does Roc have gigantic bag ******* even though he's a guy what the hell
Actually, Roc isn't really male. The game doesn't count him as either male or female for merc missions, and his gender in the game file is listed as. . . four. Just the number four. Make of that what you will.

It is true alot of people trashtalk Xenoblade X for the sake of it, but I feel one of the bigger reasons people where dissapointed in it, was because they had the mindset that it would be like the original Xenoblade. If you have this mindset X most likely is not the game for you and the original Xenoblade laid the bar very high.

I also feel it was a bit of a bad decision to develop XC2 first, when you ended X on a major cliffhanger. Because i'm confident if X2 concludes the main Mira plot and resolves all the answers people have, X + X2 will be seen as one complete package and there would be less hate.
I always felt that X would've probably gotten a better reception if they had just kept the game's Japanese name for the West, "Xenoblade Cross". Although that admittedly might've still been too close to the original. Xenocross, maybe?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh, I could go on. The world in 2 just doesn't really manage to feel alive. This is partly because the various areas are completely disconnected from one another, but also because the NPCs don't have any kind of personality or depth to them. Contrast that to the way that NPCs were handled in 1 and X, where the Affinity Chart was wholy dedicated to keeping track of NPCs, their personalities and relationship, which could all actually change as you progress with sidequests. And this doesn't even mention the sidequests that actually flesh out your party members.

. . .Look, I should stress, there were still plenty of things that I liked about two. The way that you can just fully customize your difficulty is one big stand-out thing, and the music is of course as great as ever. But there were simply so many things that rubbed me the wrong way about this game that I'd rather not be reminded of it any major way.

Actually, Roc isn't really male. The game doesn't count him as either male or female for merc missions, and his gender in the game file is listed as. . . four. Just the number four. Make of that what you will.

I always felt that X would've probably gotten a better reception if they had just kept the game's Japanese name for the West, "Xenoblade Cross". Although that admittedly might've still been too close to the original. Xenocross, maybe?
It's funny; me and my friends call it Xenocross anyway. It's snappier and makes sense since it's its own "Xeno" thing. Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Xenocross...

D

Deleted member

If it was called Xenocross it wouldn't have had the Xenoblade branding though

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If it was called Xenocross it wouldn't have had the Xenoblade branding though
And that's an interesting conundrum.

Classic fans who know the games as Xeno- weren't as hot on -Blade because it didn't tackle a lot of the themes of -gears or -saga, and they passed on X because they weren't sure on it.

Fans of -blade might have been drawn into X because of the branding but found it to be a very different game than what they were expecting, so felt let down.

It puts it in a very weird position, to say nothing of it being on the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

And that's an interesting conundrum.

Classic fans who know the games as Xeno- weren't as hot on -Blade because it didn't tackle a lot of the themes of -gears or -saga, and they passed on X because they weren't sure on it.

Fans of -blade might have been drawn into X because of the branding but found it to be a very different game than what they were expecting, so felt let down.

It puts it in a very weird position, to say nothing of it being on the Wii U.
I feel like it was named Xenoblade in a large part because of Nintendo. It seems like they want to build Xenoblade Chronicles into one of their tent-pole JRPG franchises along Fire Emblem and Pokemon. The best way to build up a brand? Slap that brands name on anything with a connection to it

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel like it was named Xenoblade in a large part because of Nintendo. It seems like they want to build Xenoblade Chronicles into one of their tent-pole JRPG franchises along Fire Emblem and Pokemon. The best way to build up a brand? Slap that brands name on anything with a connection to it
I completely agree. It's clear that they're rolling with specifically Xenoblade over just the Xeno prefix. I don't think that's bad, necessarily, and I have a hard time saying it was the wrong move at the time. It's just interesting to consider the possibilities of what could have helped public perception of the game, especially in a post-XBC2 world.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I mainly see X hate/indifference on gamefaqs and the Xenoblade subreddit. Granted I may just be blowing things out of proportion, but it really does seem like everyone in the net is throwing a hissy fit over Rex not getting in and/or still clinging on to hope he gets in considering the special treatment he got when Sakurai mentioned his costume. Personally as someone whose still relatively new to Xenoblade and has not played 2, seeing Rex being treated like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread irks me a little bit mainly cause I'm freaking sick of his character archetype.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mainly see X hate/indifference on gamefaqs and the Xenoblade subreddit. Granted I may just be blowing things out of proportion, but it really does seem like everyone in the net is throwing a hissy fit over Rex not getting in and/or still clinging on to hope he gets in considering the special treatment he got when Sakurai mentioned his costume. Personally as someone whose still relatively new to Xenoblade and has not played 2, seeing Rex being treated like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread irks me a little bit mainly cause I'm freaking sick of his character archetype.
No, trust me, I see it too. Every single character prediction video on YouTube was saying that Rex & Pyra just HAD to be in until this happened. I'm not gonna run down a game I've not touched much of but it really got super wearing hearing about the same five characters over and over and over while plenty of others (Elma) were straight up ignored.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well XB2 is the game the mainstream is now the most familiar with (its imo similair to what Awakening did for Fire Emblem), while X was on Nintendo's least successfull console and the original Xenoblade was boycotted in the US

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Wii version or New 3DS?
Wii version. As an European it was rare to find, because it was an RPG, but the US had to wait till 2012 to get Xenoblade localised and it was Gamestop exclusive.

Also you bring up a good point with New 3DS version, because I can easily see people missing on that one out, if they did not want to upgrade to a New 3DS

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I might as well add my Elma DLC pack proposal, mainly for music choices

Character: Elma

Stage: Noctilum
-Would be a scrolling stage, showcasing the rainsforest area, waterfall and the divine roost, perhaps with a view of dead man's gulch in the background somewhere
-various enemies can be seen in the background though none will attack the players, Telethia the Endbringer can been seen in the background of the Divine Roost
-Omega and Battlefield would be floating around the waterfall areas

Music:
ThemeX
Black Tar (instrumental)
The Key We've Lost
Uncontrollable
Noctilum (Day)
Primordia (Day)

Top Bottom