• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Elma looks super cool and Xenoblade X isn't an embarrassing mess of a Tales of knock-off like Xenoblade 2. I would love to have her in Smash, but the truth is that we are more likely to a lame Xenoblade 2 character instead of her.

I would also like Fiora from the first game, in her... spoiler form. But I don't have hopes for either.

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Elma looks super cool and Xenoblade X isn't an embarrassing mess of a Tales of knock-off like Xenoblade 2. I would love to have her in Smash, but the truth is that we are more likely to a lame Xenoblade 2 character instead of her.

I would also like Fiora from the first game, in her... spoiler form. But I don't have hopes for either.

They can always put both.
I can image Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra/Mythra all being in the game as Xenoblade representatives, remember, FE had 6 character slots, Sakurai can do anything he wants to.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Getting back into my account just to throw in my support for my #1 most wanted newcomer!

I'd also like to see Lin as an Assist Trophy, maybe following the person who summoned her and periodically firing her gatling gun or blocking attacks with her shield.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Rex and Pyra just had their "Rate their chances" day... 64.69% Chance 46.10% Want.
Seems like people view them as bit of an inevitability. But a lot of people said they would prefer to see Elma (or any other XC2 character, but that's besides the point) and nominated her in response which was encouraging. Thoughts?

I decided to boot up XCX to watch Elma's attack animations and it occured to me that since Shulk keeps the Monado on his back in most of his non-attack animations, Elma would probably follow suit with any weapon-switch mechanic. So she would still have attacks that use her unequipped weapon and she'd just switch for the attack.
Should that incur a penalty? Like forward air is a series of slashes, if you have her guns out and forward air there's more endlag, etc. Or the opposite where you gain a 'secondary cooldown'/stale-move negation bonus if you had the right weapon out. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and weapon change only changes her other specials/dash/jab and other attacks stay the same (tilts = swords, smashes = guns, aerials can be either)

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
I’m afraid for Elma because XCX is a spin off, not a main title like 2.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I’m afraid for Elma because XCX is a spin off, not a main title like 2.
This isn't true at all. No one at Monolith Soft nor Nintendo has acknowledged X as a spin-off... After certain fans saw the reveal of Xenoblade 2 at the Nintendo Switch presentation, this false narrative somehow exploded throughout the internet and now everyone thinks its a spin-off. It's true that X doesn't have connections to the numbered games (at least as of right now), it shares many common elements and is still a part of the Xenoblade series.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Rex and Pyra just had their "Rate their chances" day... 64.69% Chance 46.10% Want.
Seems like people view them as bit of an inevitability. But a lot of people said they would prefer to see Elma (or any other XC2 character, but that's besides the point) and nominated her in response which was encouraging. Thoughts?

I decided to boot up XCX to watch Elma's attack animations and it occured to me that since Shulk keeps the Monado on his back in most of his non-attack animations, Elma would probably follow suit with any weapon-switch mechanic. So she would still have attacks that use her unequipped weapon and she'd just switch for the attack.
Should that incur a penalty? Like forward air is a series of slashes, if you have her guns out and forward air there's more endlag, etc. Or the opposite where you gain a 'secondary cooldown'/stale-move negation bonus if you had the right weapon out. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and weapon change only changes her other specials/dash/jab and other attacks stay the same (tilts = swords, smashes = guns, aerials can be either)
More support for Elma is always a welcome sight. In the end, Daddy Sakurai will do whatever he sees fit, and that can absolutely include having Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra all in.

For her moveset, since swapping between ranged and melee is the core of X's combat system, that would have to be referenced in some way. Your idea is pretty interesting, and a bit more technical than what I had. I always imagined making Elma into a stance character, where her down special would swap between her swords and guns, changing her specials and maybe her smashes, but leaving her normals, tilts, and aerials the same. That would make her stances noticeably different without turning her into two separate characters, and hopefully help avoid a Zelda/Sheik situation where one is clearly so much better than the other that there wouldn't be a point to having a choice.

Last edited:

Kronus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8046-6707
I support Elma for Smash. She would be a unique addition to the game design and gameplay wise with her dual weapons.

D

Deleted member

As much as I hated the original Xenoblade, I thought X looked cool. Hopefully it'll get a Switch port so I could actually play it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would definitely love to see Elma, moreso than Rex/Pyra. Consider me a supporter, even though I feel Rex/Pyra will get in over her.

We need Wir Fliegen in the game for the music, accompanying Elma with a moveset that allows her to go to Overdrive.

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
This isn't true at all. No one at Monolith Soft nor Nintendo has acknowledged X as a spin-off... After certain fans saw the reveal of Xenoblade 2 at the Nintendo Switch presentation, this false narrative somehow exploded throughout the internet and now everyone thinks its a spin-off. It's true that X doesn't have connections to the numbered games (at least as of right now), it shares many common elements and is still a part of the Xenoblade series.
Well thank you so much for clarifying me that :)
It’s that I tend to see a lot of people referring to X as a “spin off” and I felt discouraged.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
XBC2 only has "2" in it just because it has the familiarity of being a story-driven game and similar gameplay as the first game, so X is just as much of a main game like the other two. The best case scenario is, of course, Sakurai uses his bias and putting all three(Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra) in the game. I wouldn't mind Elma making the base roster, while Rex becomes DLC if it came down to it. Makes everyone happy.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
XBC2 only has "2" in it just because it has the familiarity of being a story-driven game and similar gameplay as the first game, so X is just as much of a main game like the other two. The best case scenario is, of course, Sakurai uses his bias and putting all three(Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra) in the game. I wouldn't mind Elma making the base roster, while Rex becomes DLC if it came down to it. Makes everyone happy.
Agreed though I gotta say if Sakurai does have to put a XB2 character he should put everyone's favorite character from that game.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/327/444/792.png

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I would definitely love to see Elma, moreso than Rex/Pyra. Consider me a supporter, even though I feel Rex/Pyra will get in over her.

We need Wir Fliegen in the game for the music, accompanying Elma with a moveset that allows her to go to Overdrive.
If My Music comes back, I'll be permanently setting the menu theme to New L.A.'s night theme.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IMO, Chronicles is Fantasy (of the ancient tech Final Fantasy brand of Fantasy) while Chronicles X is Straight Sci-Fi.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In terms of aesthethic and moveset potential I feel like both Elma and Rex+Pyra offer enough that they could both get in.
  • Military/sci-fi aesthetic, dual guns and dual swords, emphasis on positioning and mobility, giant robot as a Final Smash
  • Sci-fantasy setting, tag team character with each character having different attacks
There's way more differences between Shulk, Rex/Pyra and Elma than there is among the entire FE cast, and they got 3 characters at launch plus a clone, plus a DLC clone, plus a promo DLC character. Both X and XB2 deserve to get in of their own merits too. The fact that people would get mad because they share a sword as their franchise icon is sad, though. Maybe Elma's icon could be the "X" from the logo instead?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I wonder if they're going to stick with the Monado symbol to represent the entire Xenoblade series...? The Conduit/Lifehold is more fitting as the symbol for the series and it's very likely going to be appear in future titles now that it was established in both X and 2.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I feel like they're a little spoiler-y
Sheik? Palutena and Pit's convo in her reveal trailer? A certain Xenoblade character's alternate form being a collectible trophy?

Sakurai's not one to shy away from spoilers in Smash.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think Elma and Xenoblade Chronicles X have some difficult hurdles to get by I could definitely see it. Frankly I'll be happy to see either XCX or XC2 representation frankly.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Sheik? Palutena and Pit's convo in her reveal trailer? A certain Xenoblade character's alternate form being a collectible trophy?

Sakurai's not one to shy away from spoilers in Smash.
Don't forget about Corrin's Omega Yato and Fates didn't even come out yet in the States

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Here is an interview with Arms producer conducted by Polygon

Given that the colorful characters of Arms have resonated with Nintendo fans, I asked Yabuki the obvious question about his fighting game: Will we see, as is frequently speculated, an Arms fighter appear in the recently announced Super Smash Bros. for Switch, and if so, who?

According to my notes, Yabuki’s answer to this line of questioning was prefaced with “intense forehead rubbing.”

“I think the correct reaction is to say ‘I can’t answer that!’” Yabuki said. “Another thing I’d say is that Arms is so young — it’s only a year old — that maybe it’s too early to think about that. But I think it’s absolutely fantastic that there are people out there talking about Arms characters in that way.”
Yes...the comment about Arms being so young is vague and can't be taken too seriously as he could be under NDA. But if what he says is the case, then it considerably boosts Elma's chance given the fact that XC2 was released 6 months after Arms.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Yes...the comment about Arms being so young is vague and can't be taken too seriously as he could be under NDA. But if what he says is the case, then it considerably boosts Elma's chance given the fact that XC2 was released 6 months after Arms.
Yeah I kinda read it as "it's too new an IP for it to be included in a celebration of (Nintendo) gaming" while XC2 might not have the same issues when it's the latest in a series that is already loved enough to be included.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
XC 2 being considered too recent would probably be the best case scenario for Elma's inclusion, but we know they also like to include brand new characters from some franchises like Greninja, so I don't know what to think...

Rex can always come later as DLC in case he's not in the roster because it would help Nintendo to promote the game, but if Elma isn't in the starting roster it will be more complicated to get her due to not having her game in Switch

I really hope they have considered to represent Xenoblade X first, this could be the only chance to represent X in Smash

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
That's the annoying thing; Rex can still get in as DLC, but Elma can't. The best case scenario is Elma gets in at launch which still lets Rex and Pyra get added as DLC, but the opposite isn't possible. We've seen a franchise get two new entries represented in the same game before with Fire Emblem in Smash 4. But for that to happen the older game needs to get in first.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey let's not be negative. Elma can totally be DLC since Xenoblade X is probably going to get a port and a direct sequel.

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Still I’m hearing a lot of people thinking X is not a main entry but a Spin-off, expecially on 4chan, they are convinced X is not canon. Like Pokemon Ranger is not canon to the main Pokémon games. Sob, my hopes for Elma are vanishing...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Still I’m hearing a lot of people thinking X is not a main entry but a Spin-off, expecially on 4chan, they are convinced X is not canon. Like Pokemon Ranger is not canon to the main Pokémon games. Sob, my hopes for Elma are vanishing...
It doesn't really matter how people see X as a spin off, as long as the developers consider it on the same level it isn't going to stop Elma from joining the roster.

BTW are you Italian?

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
It doesn't really matter how people see X as a spin off, as long as the developers consider it on the same level it isn't going to stop Elma from joining the roster.

BTW are you Italian?
Well I hope it’s as you said, I pray for a X2 release or a X port so we can see if it’s still relevant or if they’ll stick to ne numbered ones doing Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Btw yes, I’m italian, why do you ask, Nonno? :D

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well I hope it’s as you said, I pray for a X2 release or a X port so we can see if it’s still relevant or if they’ll stick to ne numbered ones doing Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Btw yes, I’m italian, why do you ask, Nonno? :D
Conaidering how X ended in a cliffhanger abd that Monolith has said quite a few times that he would like to port X I really think that the next Xenoblade will be X2.

Becuase I'm Italian as well, and after reading your nickname I wondered... ; )

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Conaidering how X ended in a cliffhanger abd that Monolith has said quite a few times that he would like to port X I really think that the next Xenoblade will be X2.

Becuase I'm Italian as well, and after reading your nickname I wondered... ; )

Let’s wait and see at this point, X is by far my favorite of the three and would be such a waste If it’d be considered a spin-off

AHAHA! Sgamato

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If X isn't considered part of the 'mainline' Xenoblade games but a spin-off then arguably it deserves a rep even more. It's already different in terms of aesthetic and gameplay. Calling it a spin-off would mean it deserves to be treated as it's own beast, not unlike Yoshi or DK or Wario are. X is easily my favorite of the three games as well, it took what I enjoyed about XB1 (exploring at my own pace and finding surprises in the environs) and made a whole game out of it.

The whole "X is a spin-off" idea is just disgruntled 1/2 fans who didn't like X and want to pretend it never happened. Not unlike the "X is a tech demo" idea, which tries to achieve the same thing by downplaying X as a game by just saying it was a 'practice run' for a REAL game (read: a game with 70 hours of main plot where everything advances via cutscene). X is an impressive piece of software in of itself, the fact that its development indirectly contributed to Breath of the Wild AND Xenoblade 2 is a bonus.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

But considering Xenoblade was in the planning/development phase of 2014, Sakurai would have likely known of XC2's development to consider a character from that game. Not to be a downer, but I do not see that as a valid argument.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

The NDA thing makes it impossible to take anything anyone says kind of limited and we can only accept anything like that with a grain of salt at best.

If Xenoblade 2 weren't already part of an established IP in relation to Smash it would probably be similar to Arms. But I image there was more information in the company surrounding XB2 development compared to Arms as established franchise generally have a few more hands in the pot at a company compared to new IP. So it would either be a Sonic situation where a decision is made later in development or a Greninja situation where information was provided to the Smash team before the game was even released. For established IP in Smash I'm not sure release time in and of itself defines anything much compared to new IP.

Of course I could be wrong since none of us know what the inter-workings of Nintendo are related to Smash right now. So this is all just assumption.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Can I get added to the support list?

I've never played a Xeno game, but I really like the setting of X and have watched Chugga's playthrough of XC1. I really love the world, the characters, the pacing and the story. Kept me guessing a lot. Music is amazing.

I'm panning to buy a Switch now that Smash has been announced (and was also planning to get one if they announced Xenosaga remasters, I think there was a rumor a while back? Wanted to get into Xeno games that way), and there's also possibly a port of XBX coming, so more reason to.

Honestly, the combat system doesn't really pull me in, I'm more in it because I want to know what the universe is about and how things might be interconnected; theorycrafting about the lore and all that.
But maybe playing it will get me into this type of combat.

Anyway, when I get a Switch I'm going to try and get XC2 and see if I can get into it, and hopefully XCX comes along too.

I don't know anything about Elma but she looks cool.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
But considering Xenoblade was in the planning/development phase of 2014, Sakurai would have likely known of XC2's development to consider a character from that game. Not to be a downer, but I do not see that as a valid argument.
Fair enough. On the contrary, just because certain characters like Greninja got in Smash 4 does not mean that Spring Man, Rex, or whoever was featured in a game within the last year or so will get the same treatment. Greninja is the exception, not the rule. Greninja's inclusion made sense because it's from a highly popular series. Arms is too young and Xenoblade is still fairly niche. I'm not ruling them out...in fact, I'm actually rooting for them...I just find it preposterous that many people believe they're shoo-ins.

Top Bottom