• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's so many spirits of characters, including those already in the game as fighters, and it's quite like stickers. It's not any indication of deconfirmation.

We really had to look into it on the Shantae thread, but really it's silly to think it deconfirms characters, when you look at them like stickers or regular trophies.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
God, with all this confusion going on, I really hope that Sakurai clarifies some things about Spirits, Mii Costumes and DLC in an upcoming Famitsu column. This whole "Can [x] character that is already in the game in some form be DLC" is going to be one big, ongoing discussion for the next months, otherwise.

D

Deleted member

God, with all this confusion going on, I really hope that Sakurai clarifies some things about Spirits, Mii Costumes and DLC in an upcoming Famitsu column. This whole "Can [x] character that is already in the game in some form be DLC" is going to be one big, ongoing discussion for the next months, otherwise.
plot twist

Spirits don't DECONFIRM characters they CONFIRM them for DLC

E V E R Y O N E I S H E R E

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait guys I had a thought

What if Piranha Plant, who will be DLC, was shown to have a spirit before release? Wouldn’t it be the end all be all that Spirits don’t deconfirm for DLC?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wait guys I had a thought

What if Piranha Plant, who will be DLC, was shown to have a spirit before release? Wouldn’t it be the end all be all that Spirits don’t deconfirm for DLC?
Well then, who's ready to search through all the newly revealed Spirits to see if there's a Piranha Plant in there? Though I admittedly feel like we won't know for certain until the game is out, which for us Elma supporters in particular will already be more easily decisive because of the music.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering all the songs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSr7LhdjXuE I think the chances of XCX music being in the base game are somewhat higher. The Bayonetta tracklist was the same as Smash 4's in the 8.8 direct yet there's a new one here for instance. Mind we also know there's a Springman costume when he was previously shown as an Assist Trophy, so I'm hoping there's more X content in the basegame since the presence of it doesn't deconfirm DLC.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
The number of total tracks is over 800 and we don't know even 100 songs for now. It's too early to say if there are X tracks or not. I can't wait the launch of the game to discover all the tracks!

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I just watched GameXplain's 448 Spirits video and did not see Piranha Plant.
I also saw a female WFT spirit but I'm assuming it's just a fighter spirit, like the Daisy situation.

https://imgur.com/a/ZRI7CCg

Not letting me post an image so link to the Imgur page of the pic.

I'm still posting a pic because we see Daisy's in a different menu, so this could go anywhere; WFT's might not be a fighter one.
I also assumed it'd be a pose but I can't see her doing anything that'd make it seem like it's a pose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder: Mewtwo and Lucas were both given new trophies specifically for their fighter versions when they were added

There's 0 reason why it can't be the same here

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Well Spirits are differents than trophies and the fighters's spirits are:

1. Alternative form with different names (Kaptain K Rool, Mega Lucario...)
2. Have no effects

But Elma received a new design in XC2, so her actual spirit could become an alternative form in the futur just like Luigi has a Tennis outfit spirit. For the name? A simple patch can change her spirit's name from Elma to something like Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) Its not a big deal.

She got a refresh two months ago and is more known than never.

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too sure what to make of all this, but Elma's chances as a playable fighter are definitely lower. I'm happy that Lin is a Spirit and Elma got a Spirit Battle. That shows Sakurai and his team are not ignoring/disrespecting Xenoblade X (even if they are bigger fans of 2). The Spirit Battle probably works better than a Mii Costume since you can't combine moves from the gunner and sword-fighter. I'm gonna hope Xenoblade X music is in the base game. There's a higher chance of that than Elma being DLC.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too sure what to make of all this, but Elma's chances as a playable fighter are definitely lower. I'm happy that Lin is a Spirit and Elma got a Spirit Battle. That shows Sakurai and his team are not ignoring/disrespecting Xenoblade X (even if they are bigger fans of 2). The Spirit Battle probably works better than a Mii Costume since you can't combine moves from the gunner and sword-fighter. I'm gonna hope Xenoblade X music is in the base game. There's a higher chance of that than Elma being DLC.
Yes they are disrespecting X because it deserves much more than this.

On-topic

If a spirit deconfirms, both Elma and Rex got deconfirmed as both have spirits of their official artworks.

Lin, Pyra, Zeke and Tora would be deconfirmed too.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I guess the only thing we can do now is to wait...Aniway the game is going to be fun. I'm really happy with the newcomers right now and I know I will enjoy the game with my friends just like when we were youngs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

On-topic

If a spirit deconfirms, both Elma and Rex got deconfirmed as both have spirits of their official artworks.

And Nia too...

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't think the whole spirit thing is a deconfirmation, to be honest. And I'm glad that X has a little more representation in the base game (so if we get Elma as DLC, she won't be a complete mystery to people who know nothing about X). With that being said, are there any Style Savvy spirits?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think the whole spirit thing is a deconfirmation, to be honest. And I'm glad that X has a little more representation in the base game (so if we get Elma as DLC, she won't be a complete mystery to people who know nothing about X). With that being said, are there any Style Savvy spirits?
Yeah, one of I believe the first game's box art Stylist was shown in the Direct.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Yeah, one of I believe the first game's box art Stylist was shown in the Direct.
Cool, I must've missed it. I'm going to add that to the growing list of Style Savvy representation in Smash.

A lot of people act like there's few recent first-party reps to choose from who haven't been seemingly deconfirmed, and as a Style Savvy supporter, I'm like, "What about us?!" I honestly think it'd be more random and glorious than even Piranha Plant, but I digress.

More on topic, I wonder if the Elma spirit transforms (like Tsubasa, for example).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Elma promoting into True Form Elma seems like a nobrainer. I'd wager Pyra will turn into Mythra as well.

I shotgun maining the H.B spirit in online, though. Lots of people are just going to latch onto him because he looks like Hideo Kojima and Bayonetta's lovechild, but only a superior taste can truly appreciate him.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

On-topic

Look, I know that we all love Elma and XCX, but let's not pretend that "it's disrespectful" to not include specific content just because we want it. If that was the case, then Sakurai has been disrespecting every non-playable character, music (sure, it's disappointing that tracks like Mechonis Field and Unfinished Battle aren't in the game, but that doesn't mean that Sakurai is trying to disrespect those specific parts), and everything else.

Considering how much content is in Ultimate, it's kind of ridiculous to get upset over one specific misstep. It's like saying that I'm not going to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it doesn't have Honey Queen in it.

Sorry if I sound rude, it just bothers me when people focus on one small issue with an otherwise incredible experience.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, I know that we all love Elma and XCX, but let's not pretend that "it's disrespectful" to not include specific content just because we want it. If that was the case, then Sakurai has been disrespecting every non-playable character, music (sure, it's disappointing that tracks like Mechonis Field and Unfinished Battle aren't in the game, but that doesn't mean that Sakurai is trying to disrespect those specific parts), and everything else.

Considering how much content is in Ultimate, it's kind of ridiculous to get upset over one specific misstep. It's like saying that I'm not going to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it doesn't have Honey Queen in it.

Sorry if I sound rude, it just bothers me when people focus on one small issue with an otherwise incredible experience.
Absolutely agreed. It's been so frustrating to see people claim this game is somehow "not listening to the fans" when bringing back all veterans was something the ballot was used for in a major way and having THAT MANY SPIRITS including a ton of awesome Spirit battles was a way to pay tribute to a ton of characters.

We all have people we want to see playable. This is an Elma thread, for God's sake. But considering we didn't think there was ANY X content only to now learn that Elma has a Spirit battle and there's a strong possibility of music in the game, plus the hope for DLC is still there? Huge step up. Disrespect would be NO X content, which is something a certain group of fans have been laughing at us for. Disrespect would be ignoring Elma completely, not giving her a major role in the Adventure.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Elma as a spirit is better than assist trophy as you can reliably use it for a themed battle.

Are there any first party characters left for DLC? (If not I will hold a little bit of hope for Elma)

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yeah and don't forget there is other communities with the same hope as us! And I highly doubt Elma is the only character you want to see in the game right? Personally I was a big King K Rool supporter since I love Donkey Kong Country. I'm also really happy with Castlevania content. Oh and don't forget Ridley! He was not in my list, but I'm still happy for Metroid fans.

Smash Ultimate is already huge. Don't let the anger overflow you. Its hard to include everything, I mean smash is a big celebration of gaming!

We should not present the Elma supporters as a bunch of dumb*** people

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Man, I just got sad(tempering expectations obviously) and looked up images of Elma and she’s so **** cool...why do I feel like her design was MADE for smash.
Like she would fit in so perfectly I’m so sad;-(

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma as a spirit is better than assist trophy as you can reliably use it for a themed battle.

Are there any first party characters left for DLC? (If not I will hold a little bit of hope for Elma)
Only one I think of is Sylux...not much options unless you want them to be all third party which I doubt will happen

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Absolutely agreed. It's been so frustrating to see people claim this game is somehow "not listening to the fans" when bringing back all veterans was something the ballot was used for in a major way and having THAT MANY SPIRITS including a ton of awesome Spirit battles was a way to pay tribute to a ton of characters.

We all have people we want to see playable. This is an Elma thread, for God's sake. But considering we didn't think there was ANY X content only to now learn that Elma has a Spirit battle and there's a strong possibility of music in the game, plus the hope for DLC is still there? Huge step up. Disrespect would be NO X content, which is something a certain group of fans have been laughing at us for. Disrespect would be ignoring Elma completely, not giving her a major role in the Adventure.
Yeah, and it just reinforces true stereotype that we act like we're entitled to the end product. It's like buying a Switch in hopes that a certain game is announced, but the getting upset when it doesn't happen even though you were never promised said game. This just proves that no matter what, Sakurai can't please everyone and someone will always be upset, sadly. Hopefully everyone can see Ultimate for what it is, a celebration of what makes video games great.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Man, I just got sad(tempering expectations obviously) and looked up images of Elma and she’s so **** cool...why do I feel like her design was MADE for smash.
Like she would fit in so perfectly I’m so sad;-(
I understand how you feel :( she is so badass! But hey don't give up!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah and don't forget there is other communities with the same hope as us! And I highly doubt Elma is the only character you want to see in the game right? Personally I was a big King K Rool supporter since I love Donkey Kong Country. I'm also really happy with Castlevania content. Oh and don't forget Ridley! He was not in my list, but I'm still happy for Metroid fans.

Smash Ultimate is already huge. Don't let the anger overflow you. Its hard to include everything, I mean smash is a big celebration of gaming!
Simon was my Smash 4 dream and to finally see him AND my boy Richter in Smash is beyond incredible. The fact that Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright, two pipe dreams I've wanted since Brawl, are realistically on the table for DLC is mind-blowing to me. KOS-MOS is in the conversation, too.

Like I don't think people shouldn't be upset. After that final direct, I was crushed there didn't seem to be any X content or hope for Elma until this thread made me realize how much we had left to learn. And now I'm in such a good place mentally that everything I learn about this game makes me MORE excited for it. Playable Elma or no, we got our content in a mode tons of people will play with a big full screen pic of her looking awesome. People will see her and look her up and realize that she's great for Smash and when X 2 comes out you know people will buy it and hopefully love it.

Yeah, and it just reinforces true stereotype that we act like we're entitled to the end product. It's like buying a Switch in hopes that a certain game is announced, but the getting upset when it doesn't happen even though you were never promised said game. This just proves that no matter what, Sakurai can't please everyone and someone will always be upset, sadly. Hopefully everyone can see Ultimate for what it is, a celebration of what makes video games great.
It's funny you say that, because I bought a 3DS when Mega Man Legends 3 was announced...

(I also wanted it for Virtue's Last Reward and I love my 3DS overall, it's just funny to me because I understand exactly what you're saying.)

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Only one I think of is Sylux...not much options unless you want them to be all third party which I doubt will happen
Could be only third parties or they include unknown first party side characters like piranha plant and Incineroar.

I saw a comment in the main smash ult thread that suggested playing against bayo with elma is supposed to represent Elma's play style.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Everyone's change when down, but unless Xeno X has unlockable music, theirs still a higher chance for he than others.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Playable Elma or no, we got our content in a mode tons of people will play with a big full screen pic of her looking awesome. People will see her and look her up and realize that she's great for Smash and when X 2 comes out you know people will buy it and hopefully love it.
Exactly. It's not much, but it's enough to get thousands more people familiar with Elma. That spirit battle sounds cool and I'd be interested in the character if I wasn't already. I'm looking forward to the next Xenoblade game, and I think if it turns out to be X 2 with Elma and it sells well, that would be a bigger win for (most of) us than Elma being playable in Smash.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Simon was my Smash 4 dream and to finally see him AND my boy Richter in Smash is beyond incredible. The fact that Travis Touchdown and Phoenix Wright, two pipe dreams I've wanted since Brawl, are realistically on the table for DLC is mind-blowing to me. KOS-MOS is in the conversation, too.

Like I don't think people shouldn't be upset. After that final direct, I was crushed there didn't seem to be any X content or hope for Elma until this thread made me realize how much we had left to learn. And now I'm in such a good place mentally that everything I learn about this game makes me MORE excited for it. Playable Elma or no, we got our content in a mode tons of people will play with a big full screen pic of her looking awesome. People will see her and look her up and realize that she's great for Smash and when X 2 comes out you know people will buy it and hopefully love it.

It's funny you say that, because I bought a 3DS when Mega Man Legends 3 was announced...

(I also wanted it for Virtue's Last Reward and I love my 3DS overall, it's just funny to me because I understand exactly what you're saying.)
Exactly. It's not much, but it's enough to get thousands more people familiar with Elma. That spirit battle sounds cool and I'd be interested in the character if I wasn't already. I'm looking forward to the next Xenoblade game, and I think if it turns out to be X 2 with Elma and it sells well, that would be a bigger win for (most of) us than Elma being playable in Smash.
THAT'S THE SPIRIT

(^:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Well then, who's ready to search through all the newly revealed Spirits to see if there's a Piranha Plant in there? Though I admittedly feel like we won't know for certain until the game is out, which for us Elma supporters in particular will already be more easily decisive because of the music.
Of the Mario series spirits that have been sighted so far, there doesn't appear to be a Piranha Plant. There is, however, a Mario Strikers Petey Piranha.

jimbozo

Smash Cadet

2. Have no effects

But Elma received a new design in XC2, so her actual spirit could become an alternative form in the futur just like Luigi has a Tennis outfit spirit. For the name? A simple patch can change her spirit's name from Elma to something like Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) Its not a big deal.

They could also change it to Elma (Mimeosome). It fits and wouldn't necessarily be major spoilers.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

2. Have no effects

Technically there isn't a difference since there wasn't any trophy of the playable characters that wasn't either their trophy for completing Classic or was a different form altogether just like the Spirits seems to be. The only exception to this are Mewtwo's and Lucas' trophies back in Smash For, which weren't renamed after they were released, so there were 2 trophies with the same name of the same character.
I can't see why the same can't be done with Spirits.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly I am rather okay with this reveal and development (of Elma being a Spirit) and whether or not it means actually deconfirmation or not. If she gets in eventually as a fighter then **** yeah! If not at least she's acknowledged in some manner which is better than being ignored and left in the dust as if Nintendo/Monolith are ashamed of X (though the lack of attention they gave them compared to Rex in the final direct makes me wonder things...)

At the very least, I have SOME closure on subject manner even if I am still hoping for that possibility of Elma being a fighter to be a reality.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wouldn't entirely be against DLC being all third party, depending on who the characters were. Off the top of my head I'd be okay with: Geno, Terra, Crono, Cecil, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, KOS-MOS (despite not playing any of her games)

Ideally we'd see some first party stuff for DLC though.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Elma's chances were certainly better when her and Bandana Dee were the only big newcomer entities without a spirit, but things still look decent for her. Rex and Pyra are still a tier down below her as a mii costume, so Elma's looking good.

Xenoblade is pretty poorly represented with only one stage as generic plains. Metalface should really be promoted to a world of light boss if absolutely nothing else happens.

Top Bottom