• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Elma just got a huge leap in likelihood.

She wasn't deconfirmed at all and basically any XC2 character was deconfirmed in that final direct.

I played a bit of XCX, and while the games are a little difficult for me to grasp, I think Elma is a very nice choice. Though, I do think she should've been base roster if anything. I do like the idea of her being in the game, but I don't think she'd sell well as DLC. We'll just have to see if Nintendo wanted to push her as a playable fighter. I don't think it's unlikely at all though. In fact, I think she's one of the few most likely first party candidates.

Crossing my fingers for you guys! :)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I find it funny the attitudew differences between threads. Most threads I've seen think this confirms 3rd parties for promotion in conjunction with Nintendo, or charactewrs who we don;t know yet because they'll be coming out as promotion for future Nintendop games,, but then other threads like this one seems to have everyone saying it's a good thing for existing games getting further promotion.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I find it funny the attitudew differences between threads. Most threads I've seen think this confirms 3rd parties for promotion in conjunction with Nintendo, or charactewrs who we don;t know yet because they'll be coming out as promotion for future Nintendop games,, but then other threads like this one seems to have everyone saying it's a good thing for existing games getting further promotion.
If Team Elma is good at one thing, it's being hopeful for the future and supporting all our fellow humans.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay just to keep the talk and hype up, I’m gonna pick 5-10 characters that I think Elma would have big interactions with within the smash universe;) you guys do the same hehe

:ultsnake:- at first I think they would start out as rivals/snake would flirt with Elma so so so much and Elma would just brush it off or like knock him out. But then maybe gets a little bit of a crush on him but NEVER lets him know and continues to just be superior. Hehe;-*

:ultsamus:/:ultzss:- obviously would instantly bond and become BFF. They do talk **** about peach and daisy occasionally

:ultisabelle:- reminds her of Lin, just so small, sweet and innocent. Will protect her with her LIFE

:ultridley:-must destroy
:ultrob:- starts off genuinely confused about what he is and why he is in Smash...but he for some reason won’t stop following her around like a little pet and she talks a very strong liking to him, even tho sometimes she thinks he’s annoying.

:ultkirby:-is in just absolute awe about how he is so powerful and she forms an obsession with him because she simoly
Can not understand how he is so strong. She respects Kirby the most out of the whole cast yet she gets frustrated that he doesn’t use his power more proactively
My head canon:

:ultsnake: - equal admiration
:ultbayonetta: - rival
:ultfalcon: - Captain meets Colonel
:ultlucina: - looks up to Elma
:ultcloud: - both have saved all of humanity
:ultshulk: - Elma has heard the legends about Shulk, imagine when she meets him in person
:ultisabelle: - reminds her of Lin
:ultrosalina:- Elma wonders about Rosalina’s intergalactic travels

Inhales sharply

Elma?! KOS-MOS?!?!
and Fiora too? I mean if Double Chrom is any indication...

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Honestly, I kinda see it oppositely. there's not a lot of current 3rd party games Nintendo would like to promote with Smash I'd think.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
That's a weird take when Nintendo's president literally commented a few days ago about Smash being of great use to promote their games and characters and they never said anything about third party reps being picked for money, it was always just because Sakurai wanted them.

They have a lot to benefit from their characters becoming more popular and not much from promoting third parties. Only very few ones are still attached to Nintendo and would make sense to come from them, like Dragon Quest.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I'm bright and hopeful and it'll take until next year to have my dreams crushed.

But it's okay. It's the brutal cycle of being a speculated newcomer fan.

D

Deleted member

Help help help, in her bio, it doesn’t say she worked on X.
I don’t know that much about the behind the scenes...so does this still bode well for Elma?
Soraya Saga retweets everything Xenoblade related

She also retweets a lot of things Nintendo related

In fact her retweeting the DLC announcement was probably just because Rex's outfit is part of the Fighter's Pass we're mostly just memeing :p

But yeah she didn't do much work on XC2 either (I think she designed like, one optional blade. Gorg IIRC) so this doesn't affect Elmas chances in any negative light

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Soraya Saga worked on Xenosaga, it was her baby really and the reception it got from certain people really hurt her. It's a sad story, but I'm glad she's still making games.

D

Deleted member

Goddamn imagine how delighted Saga would be if KOS-MOS got in... not that it's likely by any means but I would love to see her reaction

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I played a bit of XCX, and while the games are a little difficult for me to grasp, I think Elma is a very nice choice. Though, I do think she should've been base roster if anything. I do like the idea of her being in the game, but I don't think she'd sell well as DLC. We'll just have to see if Nintendo wanted to push her as a playable fighter. I don't think it's unlikely at all though. In fact, I think she's one of the few most likely first party candidates.
Yes, we'll see. Does anyone know how well Corrin sold? I think many Smash fans ended up buying Corrin just because of the unique moveset. That was with no stage. If they show off yet another relatively unknown character with a cool design and unique moveset, but this time with a beautiful stage and several awesome Sawano songs, chances of selling well are pretty good.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Elma can hit "unique moveset" simply by having a weapon switching mechanic. And her overall design to the eyes of people that don't know her is really appealing.

But we as Elma fans can make arguments for her all day long but of course...it's still up to Nintendo and the Smash dev team to choose and make her a reality.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Okay just to keep the talk and hype up, I’m gonna pick 5-10 characters that I think Elma would have big interactions with within the smash universe;) you guys do the same hehe

:ultsnake:- at first I think they would start out as rivals/snake would flirt with Elma so so so much and Elma would just brush it off or like knock him out. But then maybe gets a little bit of a crush on him but NEVER lets him know and continues to just be superior. Hehe;-*

:ultsamus:/:ultzss:- obviously would instantly bond and become BFF. They do talk **** about peach and daisy occasionally

:ultisabelle:- reminds her of Lin, just so small, sweet and innocent. Will protect her with her LIFE

:ultridley:-must destroy
:ultrob:- starts off genuinely confused about what he is and why he is in Smash...but he for some reason won’t stop following her around like a little pet and she talks a very strong liking to him, even tho sometimes she thinks he’s annoying.

:ultkirby:-is in just absolute awe about how he is so powerful and she forms an obsession with him because she simoly
Can not understand how he is so strong. She respects Kirby the most out of the whole cast yet she gets frustrated that he doesn’t use his power more proactively
Doesn't mention Incineroar since Elma loves cats!:ultincineroar:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If the DLC characters are up to Nintendo (in which Sakurai determines whether he can make a moveset for them); then I do not know what this may mean for Elma. I mean yeah she got that DLC trailer for XC2 but I feel like that's one and done. Unless of course Monolith appeals for another Xenoblade character (who isn't Rex) or XCX is going to be ported to the Switch, then I do not know what to think regarding Elma's chances.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Er, doesn't that tweet by Soraya Saga specifically say not to read into tweets? If that's the case, shouldn't we just ignore it and speculate as if it didn't exist? I think she's just frustrated the fans are reading into the smallest of things and is someone who happened to work on Xeno things.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Sakurai's tweet is great news for us. While that "now" might seem worring, remember that he doesn't actually speak English, so he had to translate it somehow. Besides the fact that Nintendo basically gave him a list of candidates from which Sakurai picked should mean that most DLC are going to be first party rather than third party like how Smash For were (also probably due to licensing costs, they have already paied a lot for :ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter: for crying out loud, and that's not including all the various Spirits). Also it is still up in the air about this list was brought to Sakurai since
1) Chosing characters isn't something he does in a wimp, he has to carefully envision that character.
2) The fact that Sakurai mentiones a "plan" is interesting since it might be referring to the project plan.
3) The fact that it is extremely unlikely that he chosed these 5 in the last week still stands against Rex since he was picked as a bonus costume for the Fighter Pass.

With that said this tweet at the very least proves that the 5 DLC are set in stone, so he wanted to avoid people replying to every tweet he makes with "PLEASE ADD _______________ FOR DLC@!!1!1!!1".
Also the fact that Sakurai still had the final saying shoukd reassure people who belive that the DLC are going to be just Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters "because promotion".

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Yay and congrats for 100 pages!
Er, doesn't that tweet by Soraya Saga specifically say not to read into tweets? If that's the case, shouldn't we just ignore it and speculate as if it didn't exist? I think she's just frustrated the fans are reading into the smallest of things and is someone who happened to work on Xeno things.
Yeah, I think that was her point, especially with this follow up:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

But anyway, with Nintendo having done the picks for DLC, all we can do is wait. I still have faith in Elma, as Nintendo did push Xenoblade X as one of the bigger Wii U titles, and if they have plans on porting it or a sequel or who knows what, maybe they could have decided on having Elma in Smash to act as an initiative to all that.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
But anyway, with Nintendo having done the picks for DLC, all we can do is wait. I still have faith in Elma, as Nintendo did push Xenoblade X as one of the bigger Wii U titles, and if they have plans on porting it or a sequel or who knows what, maybe they could have decided on having Elma in Smash to give some initiative to that.
After taking things into consideration, I think Elma's chances are best if Monolith are planning a sequel to X for 2020 or 2021. They've already said that a port would be too costly and don't have much interest in one in the forseeable future. I think something people are forgetting is that the DLC will be distributed over the course of a year and that we won't know all the characters in, like, January or something. So it's quite possible that Elma could be one of the later DLC characters to accompany an announcement for an X2.

That's my personal opinion because as it stands, Elma is kind of in a Corrin boat where no one really knows her but could be used as advertising (though I think the casual market might buy into her because of her character design, such goodness).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
After taking things into consideration, I think Elma's chances are best if Monolith are planning a sequel to X for 2020 or 2021. They've already said that a port would be too costly and don't have much interest in one in the forseeable future.
That not what Takahashi said. If I remember correctly, all that was stated is that a port of X would be costly, and nothing more. So the standard kind of PR talk that neither confirms nor denies what they're actually working on right now. So really, an X port definitely isn't off the cards right now.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
Did anyone tweet to caitlin glass asking if that tweet was related to smash? I know that she cant answer but if she answers, the possible answers are "no i havent been contacted by nintendo" deconfirming elma, or "i dont know", that could mean that she cannot answer.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone tweet to caitlin glass asking if that tweet was related to smash? I know that she cant answer but if she answers, the possible answers are "no i havent been contacted by nintendo" deconfirming elma, or "i dont know", that could mean that she cannot answer.
Huh, someone should try this.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
As someone posted earlier, I doubt she'd need to audition for a character she has voiced in the past.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't know what to think either. Meanwhile over at gamefaqs, people already think that kills Elma's chances considering X was back in 2015.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As someone posted earlier, I doubt she'd need to audition for a character she has voiced in the past.
You'd be surprised. It's a lot more common than you think. The biggest example I can think of is the current voice of Dr. Eggman needing to audition for the role of Dr. Eggman during the big Sonic shakeup.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I just got another thought, what if a XCX content is in but instead of Elma it's Cross? I mean they already have characters like Villager, Robin and Corrin so who is to say that if there IS XCX representation it's going to be Cross instead?

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
You'd be surprised. It's a lot more common than you think. The biggest example I can think of is the current voice of Dr. Eggman needing to audition for the role of Dr. Eggman during the big Sonic shakeup.
True. It's possible. I just think if the original VA is available, Sakurai would take them over someone new, especially for a game like Smash.

D

Deleted member

I just got another thought, what if a XCX content is in but instead of Elma it's Cross? I mean they already have characters like Villager, Robin and Corrin so who is to say that if there IS XCX representation it's going to be Cross instead?
It's obvious that they think of Elma as the main character throighout the game since the entire story revolves around her and not some no-name no-mouth generic avatar. Also Elma was in XC2 and not Cross, so it could be possible that even if Sakurai went to Monolith and said "hey I'm using your MC" they said "no wait take this character"

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
And even the Xenoblade subreddit thinks Elma's chances are gone while still thinking Rex has a chance. Yeah I know the Wii U flopped compared to the Switch meaning XC2 is more known then XCX but sheesh...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
And even the Xenoblade subreddit thinks Elma's chances are gone while still thinking Rex has a chance. Yeah I know the Wii U flopped compared to the Switch meaning XC2 is more known then XCX but sheesh...
The wider fanbase has a pretty major stigma against X because it's different. A lot of people who were big fans of the original or came to X after 2 didn't enjoy X for one reason or another. It's a shame. That really manifests on the subreddit (and, I've noticed, at con photoshoots).

I hate even saying stuff like that because I hate sounding like those conspiracy theorists who are convinced people/devs/fans hate their most-wanted, but it's just one of those things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The wider fanbase has a pretty major stigma against X because it's different. A lot of people who were big fans of the original or came to X after 2 didn't enjoy X for one reason or another. It's a shame. That really manifests on the subreddit (and, I've noticed, at con photoshoots).

I hate even saying stuff like that because I hate sounding like those conspiracy theorists who are convinced people/devs/fans hate their most-wanted, but it's just one of those things.
Tbh I feel like these people didn't even give X a chance when they start trashing it. I was a new fan brought in by XC2 but when I went back to play the other two games I loved both of them. X is just a little bit different, but that's fine. Look at Majora's Mask and how great that game is despite being trashed so much early on! I feel like when the Xenoblade franchise grows X is gonna be remembered like the Majora's Mask of the franchise: trashed early on but still an incredible game

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I've said this a few times but basically I think a lot of what makes Cross an appealing part of XCX is gone when you bring them to Smash. They maintain their ability to use a wide variety of weapons, but would be restricted to one specific moveset. And you can't really implement wacky dialogue choices or being able to make your own fame in sidequests as a Smash mechanic.

Also, while people do make the argument that Cross is a better representative of XCX because they're the player avatar and the game focuses so much on side-content and customizability, Elma's role as main protagonist is still relevant when you consider so much of the feedback XCX got was "not enough story, where's the story, why didn't they just have her instead of the Avatar".

Personally I'm tired of avatars in Smash Bros. They just end up becoming characters in their own right so they serve poorly as avatars while not being as interesting as other characters. Think of all the people who name their Persona protagonist after the "canon" name for them, like it's not meant to be them playing their own role.

Top Bottom