• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey, we got 100 pages! Neat!

Here is how I would imagine Elma's DLC pack would be like:

Playable Fighter: Elma
Stage: Inspired from Xenoblade Chronicles X
Music: Wir fliegen
I'd really hope we get quite a bit more than just one song. Though speaking of Wir fliegen, I honestly kinda hope that the song gets a remix. . . that's sung by someone who can actually speak German, and doesn't produce a nice-sounding garbled mess that is only recognizable as German when you have the lyrics next to you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the subject of music, I really really hope aBOreSSs is in. It's such a good theme!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Okay I know this probably isn’t the thread to post this in...but I feel as though this group is the most level headed of smash fans.

I will accept any backlash I get for this...BUT...
Can someone explain to me to whole Geno thing...im
Literally nervous to ask any of his fans about him because they’re...umm...very passionate about him and I don’t feel like being scolded like a child.
All we do in the general thread is talk about him.

i
Know this isn’t the thread for this, but I really don’t know where else to go... the general thread is a nice way to pass time until ultimate but he consumes it...and undairly and unfortunately, all of this talk turns me off to the character himself without any knowledge of him. Which I HATE that I’m doing. And, as an alterior so the subject doesn’t just go to him, I’ll ask a few Xeno questions.

1.) do you support Elma for HER, for X representation, or most likely both

2.) If any other party member could be playable, who would you want(Lin was a great party member)

3.) (such a terrible question) but what tier do you think Elma would be in(literally
Impossible to answer but will be fun to hear some speculation)
To be clear, I'm not one of the super hardcore been around for a decade supporters of Geno, having only played and beaten SMRPG a couple of months ago, but I'll try my best to describe the general reasons I've observed why Geno, Isaac and Banjo have such absurdly dedicated followings.

Lemme try to frame this in a Xenoblade X context. A certain recurring theme in this thread is that of acknowledgment, that the fans of X just want something to show that Nintendo feels that X isn't the redheaded step-child of the series and to show up the X haters. Elma in Smash would be the ultimate proof of that.

This is the same subtext I've picked up on in my time on the Geno, Isaac and Banjo threads. That having the character in Smash is merely the surface goal, the real meta goal that Geno, Isaac and Banjo supporters want is to have acknowledgment that their childhood games were not just minor ripples in larger gaming history, that the franchises that they loved the most as kids are super important to gaming history and they want acknowledgement of that.

It's why Isaac suporters had such an epic ****show when Isaac was shown as an AT. To Sakurai, Isaac as an AT was him referencing a minor part of Nintendo history in a fun way beyond just being a spirit. To Isaac supporters however, it felt like a slap in the face because it basically confirmed that Nintendo doesn't care about the future of Golden Sun at all and that for all intents and purposes it has went the way of F-Zero. A cool series with some interesting mechanics that was quietly passed over for other franchises in its genre.

It's pretty much the same story with Geno and Banjo. Both are characters that through no fault of their own were left in the dust bins of gaming history, and their fans are latching on to Smash as their last hope for acknowledgement. Square Enix has shown zero interest in giving Geno to Nintendo nor wanting to continue his story in any way, and Microsoft has done jack-all with Banjo ever since Nuts n Bolts disappointed financially. Their supporters now are desperately hoping that if they get into Smash, they'll pull a Fire Emblem and bring their dead games back to life.

But you don't need to take it from just me. The Geno thread is pretty nice actually, and I'm sure many of the posters would love to answer your question better than I can.

-------------------------------------

As for your other questions.

1. At first it was just about Elma, but after doing a little bit more research I've decided that X's setting and asthetic is rad as hell, and I want some representation for it. (as a non-fan I like it much better than XB2's mixed-bag of aesthetics at least.)

2. Cross as an Echo Fighter with adjustable gender like Robin and Corrin.

3. Lord knows. I'd like to think her flexibility would make her high tier but nobody can make a solid tier list until lots of good tournament data come in.

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
As a person who supports Geno (albeit only recently, not one of the hardliners who's been doing this for over a decade)

To be clear, I'm not one of the super hardcore been around for a decade supporters of Geno, having only played and beaten SMRPG a couple of months ago, but I'll try my best to describe the general reasons I've observed why Geno, Isaac and Banjo have such absurdly dedicated followings.

Lemme try to frame this in a Xenoblade X context. A certain recurring theme in this thread is that of acknowledgment, that the fans of X just want something to show that Nintendo feels that X isn't the redheaded step-child of the series and to show up the X haters. Elma in Smash would be the ultimate proof of that.

This is the same subtext I've picked up on in my time on the Geno, Isaac and Banjo threads. That having the character in Smash is merely the surface goal, the real meta goal that Geno, Isaac and Banjo supporters want to have is acknowledgment that their childhood games were not just minor ripples in larger gaming history, that the franchises that they loved the most as kids are super important to gaming history and they want acknowledgement of that.

It's why we had such an epic ****show when Isaac was shown as an AT. To Sakurai, Isaac as an AT was him referencing a minor part of Nintendo history in a fun way beyond just being a spirit. To Isaac supporters however, it felt like a slap in the face because it basically confirmed that Nintendo doesn't care about the future of Golden Sun at all and that for all intents and purposes it has went the way of F-Zero. A cool series with some interesting mechanics that was quietly passed over for other franchises in its genre.

It's pretty much the same story with Geno and Banjo. Both are characters that through no fault of their own were left in the dust bins of gaming history, and their fans are latching on to Smash as their last hope for acknowledgement. Square Enix has shown zero interest in giving Geno to Nintendo nor wanting to continue his story in any way, and Microsoft has done jack-all with Banjo ever since Nuts n Bolts disappointed financially. Their supporters now are desperately hoping that if they get into Smash, they'll pull a Fire Emblem and bring their dead games back to life.

But you don't need to take it from just me. The Geno thread is pretty nice actually, and I'm sure many of the posters would love to answer your question better than I can.

1. At first it was just about Elma, but after doing a little bit more research I've decided that X's setting and asthetic is rad as hell, and I want some representation for it. (as a non-fan I like it much better than XB2's mixed-bag of aesthetics at least.)

3. Lord knows. I'd like to think her flexibility would make her high tier but nobody can make a solid tier list until lots of good tournament data come in.
This really put it into good perspective for me and makes a lot of sense! Thank you for explaining and I hope that one day you get your characters back:)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As a person who supports Geno (albeit only recently, not one of the hardliners who's been doing this for over a decade) I'l try my best to explain his following.

This is the same subtext I've picked up on in my time on the Geno, Isaac and Banjo threads. That having the character in Smash is merely the surface goal, the real meta goal that Geno, Isaac and Banjo supporters want is to have acknowledgment that their childhood games were not just minor ripples in larger gaming history, that the franchises that they loved the most as kids are super important to gaming history and they want acknowledgement of that.

It's why Isaac suporters had such an epic ****show when Isaac was shown as an AT. To Sakurai, Isaac as an AT was him referencing a minor part of Nintendo history in a fun way beyond just being a spirit. To Isaac supporters however, it felt like a slap in the face because it basically confirmed that Nintendo doesn't care about the future of Golden Sun at all and that for all intents and purposes it has went the way of F-Zero. A cool series with some interesting mechanics that was quietly passed over for other franchises in its genre.

This is a perfect summation. I'm not one of the Geno supporters, but I realized especially recently that the Elma supporters, Geno supporters, Dee supporters...all of us who are hopeful for DLC are in the same boat and so many of us want to see others succeed as much as we want to succeed. The Geno thread is especially really nice. We all want Nintendo to extend some acknowledgement and for our faves to take their places in the annals of history. So many of us have faced similar struggles with haters - X being the red-headed stepchild of the Xenoblade series, Bandana Dee being a "Hat Goomba", Isaac, Banjo, and Geno being "irrelevant"...it's all the same song. The most fun I've had in the Smash fandom is just...supporting each other. It's been nice to see Elma even acknowledged in the same breath as popular characters like Bandana Dee or Banjo and it's because this time I feel like we are stronger together.

Sorry to get all sentimental. It's just been a good speculation period.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Well, I can say from all the replies I really have changed my mind.
I really do hope that the fans, of all the underdogs, so eventually get their day, including Geno:)

But also this thread is literally SO SWEET and nice wow we are amazing go Elma who is also very subtly sweet and nice ;*

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just dropping by to say I support Elma. She'd be a really cool addition to the roster.

D

Deleted member

Hey I just realized that we're at 100 pages! Nice! Let's move for DLC and keep the rhythm going!

Don't wanna double post but: Rex just ****ing died even more then he already did in the Nov. 1st direct

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77177558

Press F (or don't, I don't care)

This may bode well for Elma's DLC chances since now they finally confirmed that they already had their characters picked out AND her main contender for a spot is dead

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Found this in the Bandana Dee thread

Sakurai talking about DLC. Characters being chosen by Nintendo makes me hopeful.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I was just about to post Sakurai's Tweet, but got Greninja'd, haha. Anyway, hard to tell what this means for Elma one way or another. If Monolith really is working on X2 or an X port, Ninty would definitely want to give it some extra marketing.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Yeah it all rests on Nintendo wanting to promote Xenoblade X or Xenoblade overall
Since Rex seems to be deconfirmed, Elma would be the other choice

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
At least Sakurai had SOME say in the DLC. I wouldn't trust Nintendo-made choices for this game unless he was involved.

Also, happy 100 pages, everyone!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
All of my faves suddenly look a lot more likely and I couldn't be happier. I hope this is a good sign!

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this means anything... Nintendo should be aware that Caitlin Glass is the previous voice of Elma, especially considering she already returned to voice Elma in Xenoblade 2. It's much more likely it's for an anime character who's never had an English voice before. Caitlin does more anime voice-overs than videogame voice-overs so it would be easier to slip up like this.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Omg...I really don’t know what this means for Elma...but I am getting pretty excited.

Even if she’s not in, I just really will be happy with any of the DLC we get!

Nintendo HAS been loving Elma as DLC tho...
Like...her being THE LAST dlc for X2, and the whole
Trailer she got.

Blades, HYPE responsibly

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

Do we think Nintendo would've picked Elma to be DLC? I sure hope so.
The word "now" makes me a little nervous. Sakurai makes it sound like the characters for DLC were chosen more recently than we were initially thinking. This may or may not matter much when it comes to Elma's chances. If Nintendo is smart and realizes how incredible Monolith Soft is, maybe they will fund a port of Xenoblade X to coincide with an "Elma in Smash" reveal. Adding Rex/Pyra at this point wouldn't do much in terms of sales; they've already advertised Xenoblade 2 tons and those characters (unlike Elma) have no real chance of being a major focus in future Xenoblade games.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The only way Rex isn't getting in is if he wasn't on the shortlist, while it's not so simple for Elma. Makes me really hate the lack of X content in the base game.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
i just feel like it wouldn’t really make sense to have a Rex costume, come with the DLC...and then have Rex as a character? Which makes me feel like having Elma as the character, coming with the Rex costume would make sense right?

I really don’t know how this is going to play out.
I think a lot more 1st parties just became more likely, and I think Elma’s chances are going to be heavily influenced by how Nintendo views her as a character, and the potential future of the Xeno series.

I’m gonna go with a safe bet and say Elma has around a 40% chance to get in?

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
The only way Rex isn't getting in is if he wasn't on the shortlist, while it's not so simple for Elma. Makes me really hate the lack of X content in the base game.
I still think Rex was deconfirmed. There's no reason really to put multiple Mii Costumes and music from Xenoblade 2 into Smash now if they were going to put in a character, stage and music later.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I still think Rex was deconfirmed. There's no reason really to put multiple Mii Costumes and music from Xenoblade 2 into Smash now if they were going to put in a character, stage and music later.
There's a lapse of time between those two things happening, though. Putting in XB2 content -then- does not prevent Sakurai from deciding to include Rex -today- if they only just decided on the DLC characters. Sakurai's comments were about the base game as we know now they didn't decide DLC that far in advance. And let's be honest, the guy has huge biases and he gushes over XB2. He wanted to make sure there was XB2 content before DLC started and now that DLC started he's just going to cram more in.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot more 1st parties just became more likely, and I think Elma’s chances are going to be heavily influenced by how Nintendo views her as a character, and the potential future of the Xeno series.

I’m gonna go with a safe bet and say Elma has around a 40% chance to get in?
It's difficult to say. Like I was saying before, if Nintendo wants to make money, Elma would be a better option than more minor characters from a series that already have plenty of representation (Bandana Dee).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's difficult to say. Like I was saying before, if Nintendo wants to make money, Elma would be a better option than more minor characters from a series that already have plenty of representation (Bandana Dee).
I hate to be that person, but as far as modern Kirby is concerned, it is HIGHLY underrepresented.

Sorry... I'm a Bandana Dee supporter...

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee's actually a highly requested character, especially in Japan. Don't count him out just yet.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Ehh. Don't be too quick to say that buddy. Bandana Dee is literally the most wanted newcomer in Japan next to Rex and Pyra. Not to mention a good chunk of people want him in the U.S/Europe. If we're going solely based on popularity, Bandana Dee has it over Elma.

I'm just saying, there's no reason we can't get both Elma and Bandanna Dee.
This is my dream scenario. My top 2 in as DLC!

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be that person, but as far as modern Kirby is concerned, it is HIGHLY underrepresented.

Sorry... I'm a Bandana Dee supporter...
The Kirby series has 3 characters, 5 stages, and lots of music. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are the only series with more representation. And my main point was, I doubt adding Bandana Dee will sell Kirby games more than Kirby, Meta Knight, and King DeDeDe already being in the game will. Elma + a Mira stage + Sawano music could introduce hundreds of thousands of people to the Xenoblade X series and give a great first impression.

I'm just saying, there's no reason we can't get both Elma and Bandana Dee.
I know that, but rumors suggest at least 3 of the 5 DLC characters are from 3rd parties. I'm not trying to attack Bandana Dee or anything, I'm just using him as an example because he's the most talked about 1st party DLC character right now.

D

Deleted member

So this all depends on WHEN Nintendo gave Sakurai the characters to choose from

I HIGHLY doubt it was anytime recent, since if the list had third-parties getting licenses takes time. However, if it was after December 2017 (which, like I said is very unlikely) then Elma is in trouble because idk if Sakurai would add two Xenoblade characters in DLC

However, Elma is pretty safe since it's more likely that Nintendo gave him the list of characters a while ago, like back in 2015-2016. Elma is riding along fairly well, I'd say

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee and Elma nay be the two most likely first parties at this point and I hope they both get in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Elma's chances are looking better because of the recent tweet of Sakurai's. Also, happy 100 pages everybody! :)

Last edited:

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
After reading that post my hopes for Elma and Bandana Waddle Dee jumped up. If we can get those 2 then I don't care who the remaining 3 DLC characters would be. I'm seeing a lot of people assume that Nintendo would be picking characters that are just to advertise upcoming games. That I find hard to believe if we couldn't get Rex or Spring Man. Nintendo probably chose characters who were relevant at the time of Ultimate's development. Which is why I think Elma and Bandana Waddle Dee make sense. Nintendo loves to make a marketing push for every new Xenoblade game, and Bandana Waddle Dee is usually in every modern Kirby game at this point.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Okay just to keep the talk and hype up, I’m gonna pick 5-10 characters that I think Elma would have big interactions with within the smash universe;) you guys do the same hehe

:ultsnake:- at first I think they would start out as rivals/snake would flirt with Elma so so so much and Elma would just brush it off or like knock him out. But then maybe gets a little bit of a crush on him but NEVER lets him know and continues to just be superior. Hehe;-*

:ultsamus:/:ultzss:- obviously would instantly bond and become BFF. They do talk **** about peach and daisy occasionally

:ultisabelle:- reminds her of Lin, just so small, sweet and innocent. Will protect her with her LIFE

:ultridley:-must destroy
:ultrob:- starts off genuinely confused about what he is and why he is in Smash...but he for some reason won’t stop following her around like a little pet and she talks a very strong liking to him, even tho sometimes she thinks he’s annoying.

:ultkirby:-is in just absolute awe about how he is so powerful and she forms an obsession with him because she simoly
Can not understand how he is so strong. She respects Kirby the most out of the whole cast yet she gets frustrated that he doesn’t use his power more proactively

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Elma and Bandana Dee seems like the most likely to me at this point. I think DLC will be mostly Nintendo characters now and they fit in perfectly as they're two popular characters in recurring series, with HAL and MonolithSoft possibly asking for the representation.

I don't care about 3rd party picks much, so these news are getting me more excited for DLC promoting recent Nintendo titles.

Top Bottom