• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So that rumor in the Geno thread yesterday? That FP5 was a controversial character more so than Corrin, that they would possibly hard deconfirm a certain other very popular character by connection?

if that rumor didn’t say they were a western third party I’d immediately bet on Elma, since with her Rex’s chances would truly be shot down most likely

it’d be a Decidueye vs Incineroar situation with Rex being Decidueye and Elma being Incineroar

but since that rumor says western third party... only situation I can think of is Dovahkiin (or even a Fallout character) over Doomguy

didn’t Verge say the Cacomallow leak wasn’t related to FP5 tho? Uuuuuugh idk what to believe anymore!!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So that rumor in the Geno thread yesterday? That FP5 was a controversial character more so than Corrin, that they would possibly hard deconfirm a certain other very popular character by connection?

if that rumor didn’t say they were a western third party I’d immediately bet on Elma, since with her Rex’s chances would truly be shot down most likely

it’d be a Decidueye vs Incineroar situation with Rex being Decidueye and Elma being Incineroar

but since that rumor says western third party... only situation I can think of is Dovahkiin (or even a Fallout character) over Doomguy

didn’t Verge say the Cacomallow leak wasn’t related to FP5 tho? Uuuuuugh idk what to believe anymore!!
I mean, technically Elma would be a Western character - NLA is an American city, after all.

But seriously, I wouldn't put any stock into any rumors that get brought up in the Geno thread. At this point, the best insider info we have is Vergeben's kill list (and to a lesser extent Sabi's), and going by that, our chances aren't too bad.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Only one thing to believe: that we're all gonna suffer until they make an announcement... whenever that is.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt it's a Bethesda rep, I suspect their motive when they mentioned they had talked to Nintendo regarding Smash was to get people talking and build support for a rep from them. Once Doomslayer picked up Steam they switched tracks to backing him specifically. It's a similar strategy that got Banjo in, and likewise if Shantae ever gets in, it'll be thanks in large part to encouragment from the developers.

I honestly believe Nintendo spoke to Bethesda, but I suspect they spoke to more than enough 3rd parties to fill the pass and then whittled it down. Personally I really want Doomslayer in, and I'd love Dovahkiin, but at the moment, I think it's a matter of supporting them and hoping Nintendo take notice.

As for western reps for fighter 5, I have a hard time believing that they'd skip out on the chance to reveal them at the Game Awards when it would presumable be only the 2nd western franchise represented in Smash, that's still quite a big deal and likely something that would have appeal to a wider audience than a Direct usually reaches.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'm going to give Xenoblade Chronicles X another shot; I'm trying to play through some of my games backlog, and since the Wii U has my smallest library of games that I haven't beaten (eight; nine if you count Star Fox Guard), I figure I'll start by focusing on that.

I believe I've only entered the second area; not sure if I should focus on exploring the first area (and figuring out where the characters are in New LA - I recall the map being rather complicated or unclear in terms of where to find specific characters) and complete sidequests or move on to the second and continue the story.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The best pace for XBX is exploring and doing sidequests to your hearts content and when you need more structure, do a story mission. The game levelgates you for a reason; you should be questing/exploring first.

Elma and Lin are 99% required for story missions and they're normally in the bunker (if not, they're at a set location for a "Heart to Heart" so look for them in NLA) so feel free to ditch them and travel with different characters when doing sidequests. You will need a certain level of affinity with Gwin to unlock a certain story mission and you should enjoy Lao's company while you can but otherwise any party mix will do.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

Steve over Master Chief.

Can you link us to the rumor please?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles X. I'll need to take some time to either explore, remember the controls, figure out how certain powers work together, or level up - my party's at level 15, yet we were beaten by a group of level 12 rabbit-things. (there was one unique/named monster in there, but it was defeated by the end)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Don't forget to change equipment and level Arts/Skills up, either. Fighting enemies in groups can get very dangerous very fast especially if they have AoE attacks.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hey, everybody. So, we didn't get anything at the vga? Doesn't really surprise me.

Anyway, did i miss anything? Did we get some interesting "leaks" .

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Vergeben and Sabi have been pretty much silent the past couple of days.
So I’m guessing that they’re waiting for this whole TGA “leak” no show backlash thing to blow over before posting again. I can’t blame them, though. That show was rather rough for anyone to sit through on its own, save for the Muppets/Untitled Goose Game skit, if only for the blessed image of the “goose Muppet.”

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I’m guessing that they’re waiting for this whole TGA “leak” no show backlash thing to blow over before posting again. I can’t blame them, though. That show was rather rough for anyone to sit through on its own, save for the Muppets/Untitled Goose Game skit, if only for the blessed image of the “goose Muppet.”
Don't forget Reggie. Everything's better with Reggie.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
No, not the Namco x Capcom OCs! Anybody but them! Oh, and the literal succubus, too. Seriously, how would Morrigan even work?

Anyway, would any of you consider calling RWBY a "secret project"? Because Caitlin Glass voices one of the characters this volume.
That is up to Caitlin Glass to clarify or give any indication what her NDA back in November 6th, 2018 was. Similar to how she liked a tweet about voicing Elma in England for Xenoblade 2.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Elma is my favourite December-associated red-and-white wearing character, for Christmas I hope she comes to our homes and sliding slingers us under the mistletoe

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Elma is my favourite December-associated red-and-white wearing character, for Christmas I hope she comes to our homes and sliding slingers us under the mistletoe
I mean, if we're getting that specific, I'll take Elma or NiGHTS for Christmas ;)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Happy 2020. Here's hoping that with an extra day in the year they can manage to cram in some news about X.

I don't know if there's much chance that FP5 is Elma after all this time since it's been such a time since potential leads cropped up (like Caitlin Glass's NDA role which might've already come and gone) but I think there's a possibility of something after XB:DE, even if it ends up just being a cameo or reference to X.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Well, happy new year from germany.

Let's hope that we get a direct or some sort of info soon...the newcomer discussion thread is currently....lets just say "hard to read through".

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Neat. Now let's hope that our usual leaky suspects don't say anything that shots down our chances completely yet again. It'd just be a nice change of pace to go into a Direct for once and have legitimate hope (however small) for Elma being revealed.

Happy 2020. Here's hoping that with an extra day in the year they can manage to cram in some news about X.

I don't know if there's much chance that FP5 is Elma after all this time since it's been such a time since potential leads cropped up (like Caitlin Glass's NDA role which might've already come and gone) but I think there's a possibility of something after XB:DE, even if it ends up just being a cameo or reference to X.
Oof, if that's really her NDA role, then that is a bit of a blow. Still, there might always be the chance that she did get the role, and just never hinted at it. After all, I'm pretty sure that not every voice actor of a character who got into Smash always made any hints.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ehhh.... I feel like Caitlin’s response about the NDA is a bit fishy. Wasn’t that FMA movie live action? Did it even have a dub? I feel like her initial statement of “a character you already voice is the reference” wouldn’t refer to Winry Rockbell

plus, “I don’t remember” that sounds veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sus. Usually once it’s ok to break NDA with an official reveal they freakin do so

for one, Adam Howden spilled the beans when Shulk was officially revealed. Laura Post also revealed her NDA was for Kasumi Yoshizawa for the English dub of P5R upon the first English trailer

also why would you literally not remember your NDA

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh.... I feel like Caitlin’s response about the NDA is a bit fishy. Wasn’t that FMA movie live action? Did it even have a dub? I feel like her initial statement of “a character you already voice is the reference” wouldn’t refer to Winry Rockbell
I think the point is, that specific audition would be for a character she hasn't voiced before. The director's notes might say any number of character voices that are in the ball park they're looking for for the character she's auditioning for, and one of those was a character she'd played before (Elma, Winry etc etc). I imagine if you were auditioning for a role and a character you played before was on the list, you'd have an advantage in terms of finding a voice that the dub's director was happy with.

To be honest, when it comes to speculating on voice actors and their tweets, I think if you're super lucky they might say something that hints at what you're looking for, but I imagine most gigs they simply do the job and don't mention it on social media. I mean, remember the drama around that Cristina Vee tweet last year?

At any rate, if Elma's in, I'm sure she was brought in to do the lines in secret and is patiently waiting for the trailer to drop.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
OOOOOHHHH MYYYY GOOOOODDDDD.

I have a VERY STRONG FEELING Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition is one of them... it has been over a year since the “X will be difficult to port” statement...

Bros. It’s time.
I don't know how much i can trust this... We already have the announcement of the Xenoblade 1-Definite Edition...so if this is true and one of these games is Xenoblade X i wouldn't count on an announcement for X-Definitive Edition anytime soon........****, who am i kidding PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know how much i can trust this... We already have the announcement of the Xenoblade 1-Definite Edition...so if this is true and one of these games is Xenoblade X i wouldn't count on an announcement for X-Definitive Edition anytime soon........****, who am i kidding PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!
Xeno 1 DE looks about 75% done from the trailer, it was just touching up the models and environments and adding the previously unavailable Bionis Shoulder area. It should come like April at the earliest.

just an ANNOUNCEMENT of X DE would suffice and they show the buttloads of new content as time goes by until its Q1 2021 release

and of course Elma for smash with X DE’s official announcement

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I don't know why but for some reason i thought that it would be released sometime in autumn.

Oh, just imagine this: a Nintendo direct this week, we get a release date for Xeno 1 DE followed by an announcement for X-Definite Edition which directly goes into Elmas Smash trailer. let me dream, ok?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know why but for some reason i thought that it would be released sometime in autumn.

Oh, just imagine this: a Nintendo direct this week, we get a release date for Xeno 1 DE followed by an announcement for X-Definite Edition which directly goes into Elmas Smash trailer. let me dream, ok?
I can see a Xeno 1 DE release date announcement next direct. Isn’t TMS Encore due this month? They wouldn’t cover TMSE if that’s the case

edit - ...oh. TMS Encore comes out on PRECISELY the 17th, same day as the next Amiibo wave...

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I can see a Xeno 1 DE release date announcement next direct. Isn’t TMS Encore due this month? They wouldn’t cover TMSE if that’s the case

edit - ...oh. TMS Encore comes out on PRECISELY the 17th, same day as the next Amiibo wave...
According to Wikipedia it's January 17 2020. So yes, this month...it's all coming together, boys and girls.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

And so, the conspiracy continues...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That all aside, New Horizons is due in march and they'll probably go over other new things, and discuss some other new games coming during the year. they won't waste time on a game coming one week later

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Well on the subject of an X port, I've been holding off replaying X due to the potential for a port, but I was experimenting with trying the game on an emulator and upon upscaling the graphics I realised that unlike Xenoblade Chronicles, they really don't need to redo any of the textures of models, with the exception of, in my opinion, characters heads. I think improved facial animation would go along way there, just like it has with XC1. I believe XCX was developed in the same engine as XC2 and Torna so I assume that XC:DE is being ported to that. XCX only needs to be updated to the latest version of the engine. So graphically overall I think the most they need to do in terms of remastering is updating to the newer engine, remodeling character heads and adjusting stuff like resolution/lighting/particle effects etc and you'll have a pretty competitive looking Switch game.

Of course that's nothing to do with the potential for what they could add to X, which personally I'd love to see more armour sets, more alien party members (Pretty sure there was a few characters in the plot that felt like obvious party members) and improved cutscenes / more missions.

I think it's possible we could see XCX sooner rather than later but I'd wonder about marketing both seperate games at the same time. But with it being a growing franchise, and both of them being remasters. I do wonder if they're considering a double pack. It'd be pretty slick to end one direct with XC1 and start then next with XCX and then bam, it's a bundle. Of course the power play then is to drag Smash fans kicking and screaming to Mira right afterwards.

That said, I do worry that Wii U ports in a Switch direct is sort of the safe guess.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They could add more areas to the game in a Definitive Edition port, more Tyrants, maybe make that one mission-exclusive Tyrant not so

Top Bottom