• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

It's absurd that I recognised that silhouette from a small thumbnail, but that's what happens when farm over 100 Elma spirits. Good video, covers post-Sephiroth speculation in regards to data, rather than 'leaks'. He fairly briefly mentions Elma, but it feels signifigant seeing her name out there.

My thoughts at the moment, now that the dust is settling on Sephiroth's inclusion is that additional FF7 and ARMs music was left out at launch due to future plans, and not solely due to copyright. Obviously Xenoblade X is a significant example of another game to have such a gap. I'm honestly starting to wonder if Elma could be this passes equivalent of Hero, an older character returning in a port within months of their inclusion in Smash. Initially I didn't think they'd do that due to risk of upsetting certain fans, but seeing how long they held out on the Geno costume makes me think Nintendo aren't really too bothered about that sort of nonsense.

Speaking of Mii costumes, both Lloyd Irving, as a dual sword wielding JRPG Protagonist and the Monster Hunter armours could genuinely make sense as costumes that release alongside Elma, who doesn't think about hunting giant monsters when they think about playing a Xenoblade game? I'm probably reaching, but I'm honestly feeling more positive about Elma's chances than I have in a long time, after Steve and Sephiroth, I think theres space now for a smaller Nintendo character to join the fight, and I think Elma is certainly in the running.
The way Xenoblade X has been handled in Smash is so weird, man. Especially now that Sephiroth is here and all the rumors surrounding his inclusion.
That stuff makes you think...I really (and i mean REALLY) want to believe, that something similar will/could happen with Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If in the end Rex doesn't get added, I think it would be cool if Elma got palette swaps based off of Pyra & Mythra.

Her true form could have a Mythra pallette, and her Mimeosome form could have a Pyra pallette. If they really didn't give a damn about spoilers, they could include a Pneuma palette swap as well.

Also, in response to the previous video, if we got a Sonic villain, I think Metal Sonic would be pretty cool. He could be slightly slower than Sonic, and attack with blasts of energy. His final smash could be Metal Overlord.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If in the end Rex doesn't get added, I think it would be cool if Elma got palette swaps based off of Pyra & Mythra.

Her true form could have a Mythra pallette, and her Mimeosome form could have a Pyra pallette. If they really didn't give a damn about spoilers, they could include a Pneuma palette swap as well.

Also, in response to the previous video, if we got a Sonic villain, I think Metal Sonic would be pretty cool. He could be slightly slower than Sonic, and attack with blasts of energy. His final smash could be Metal Overlord.
It'd be neat for her to reference Rex & Pyra/Mythra...however in XCX Elm's outfit does already have several different coloured variants which can make for good alts.

She has this dark purple/magenta variant which I thought looked the coolest out of all of them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh yeah that reminds me

how would her true form be censored? You’d be covering her ass more that’s for sure

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Oh yeah that reminds me

how would her true form be censored? You’d be covering her ass more that’s for sure
I guess they could do the same thing like with female Corrin and Bayonetta. Make the parts, that show too much skin black/darker and be a part of the armor/clothes.

Xeno Elma 2.png

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hm, I'm a bit surprised that no one has thought of this yet, but anyway: Here's a little pipedream atop our usual hoping - imagine if there was an "Otherworldly Fighter" challenge that came with Elma making it in, kinda like the Sephiroth challenge.
Hey, if they can make her a challenge battle in XC2, they can make her a challenge battle in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If development really is slowing down tho...

idc if I don’t get Elma. Just give me X music with KOS-MOS if this truly is the end

in fact... what if Caitlin Glass’s NDA... was for KOS-MOS and not Elma? “A character you voice is the reference”....
Taking this from the KOS-MOS thread but I would be perfectly fine with this if we aren’t getting a pass 3. Maybe KOS-MOS is Caitlin Glass’s NDA too...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Rie I know you really want this but there's no realistic basis for her to lie about her NDA or for her to voice KOS-MOS when her normal VA is still a thing. I think Elma still has a chance, but you shouldn't create wild conspiracy theories to do so.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m just... preparing myself. Just in case. If I can’t get Elma, I’ll settle for Kossy

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait...is Caitlin Glass' NDA-role still unknown? Wth?!
Last update she gave was last year with “maybe the FMA live action movie?” That’s clearly still a cover statement

and I didn’t mean to sound like grasping at straws but just in case this IS the last pass and KOS-MOS/Crash/Reimu is true which FYI I’m 100% fine with, I kinda considered that possibility with “a character you voice is the reference”. The sakurai tweet about reducing frequency of POTD cause he’s running short on “usable” photos did concern me a bit

... maybe I should take a lil break from speculation for a while. Since I lost my father, I don’t wanna be in too much depressive thoughts right now I guess

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if we go by that Byleth, Min Min, and Sephiroth were 3 of the recent past 4 fighters and they brought all of this missing content that wasn't in the base game from their series with them, than that probably means if we are getting Elma she might be next or at least in this Pass.
If we get Elma NEXT... I will literally cry tears of joy

7NATOR

Smash Master
Silroth did make some great points in that video (however I think he's wrong in calling Terry a retro character, as he still makes frequent appearances in Fighting games and mobile games)

In regards to Elma, I haven't been paying that much attention towards her, there are just too many Possibilities and such. However besides Xenoblade X content being really sparse, here are some other things to mention

-She's Never been costumed, like with Rex or Nia. In fact, there is no Xenoblade X Mii costumes at all
-She would fit my 201X Theory, the Theory that states that we will get another 2010's Character because the 2010's Tourney has been absent for all this time (and after Steve would have been perfect)
-The Lloyd costume being missing could fit her Mii Wave perfectly, since both Dual Wield Katanas
-Sephiroth did not come with a Sword based Tournament, and there hasn't been one of those at all, perhaps Implying another Sword Character
-Plus all the VA NDA and that Music Project thing from wayback would be explained

I'll just keep a look out for her. She'd have really interesting Mechanics I feel and would have unique Aesthetic for this pass. Good Luck guys

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Silroth did make some great points in that video (however I think he's wrong in calling Terry a retro character, as he still makes frequent appearances in Fighting games and mobile games)

In regards to Elma, I haven't been paying that much attention towards her, there are just too many Possibilities and such. However besides Xenoblade X content being really sparse, here are some other things to mention

-She's Never been costumed, like with Rex or Nia. In fact, there is no Xenoblade X Mii costumes at all
-She would fit my 201X Theory, the Theory that states that we will get another 2010's Character because the 2010's Tourney has been absent for all this time (and after Steve would have been perfect)
-The Lloyd costume being missing could fit her Mii Wave perfectly, since both Dual Wield Katanas
-Sephiroth did not come with a Sword based Tournament, and there hasn't been one of those at all, perhaps Implying another Sword Character
-Plus all the VA NDA and that Music Project thing from wayback would be explained

I'll just keep a look out for her. She'd have really interesting Mechanics I feel and would have unique Aesthetic for this pass. Good Luck guys
Wow! I have never thought about the absence of a 2010s character tourney. That's a brownie point to add to Elma's list.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did I ever tell you guys that I have consistent dreams of this game or at least exploring a Mira-like world? Yeah. This game has left a great impact on me. I spent hours on end in 2016 exploring every corner of Mira, my life was a bit... frustrating at that time and it helped me escape. It’s left that big of an impact and I’d love for more people to experience it.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Did I ever tell you guys that I have consistent dreams of this game or at least exploring a Mira-like world? Yeah. This game has left a great impact on me. I spent hours on end in 2016 exploring every corner of Mira, my life was a bit... frustrating at that time and it helped me escape. It’s left that big of an impact and I’d love for more people to experience it.
Personally I believe that it's a matter of when not if. XCX is a highly requested game to be ported to the Switch, and arguably the last big Wii U title that has yet to be added to the Switch's library. XCDE was released this year so if a port is coming the earliest we'll see it is in 2021, maybe even within the first half. That said Nintendo and Monolith are aware of the demand so even if it's not released soon I believe it's coming!

X is easily my favourite game on the Wii U and I would also love for more people to experience this game.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know what I am HELLA itchin to play X again

quick question if I set up an alternate user profile on a Wii U, that one has its own saves and stuff right?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Weird question to ask

But what type of Enemies Does Elma, Cross, and the gang fight in Xenoblade X?

It is Sci-fi oriented, and there are Mechs in it, So I'm wondering what Enemies complement these sub-set and stuff

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Weird question to ask

But what type of Enemies Does Elma, Cross, and the gang fight in Xenoblade X?

It is Sci-fi oriented, and there are Mechs in it, So I'm wondering what Enemies complement these sub-set and stuff
Well there sure are a lot of enemies, the main enemies you'll be encountering are creatures native to Mira and an enemy faction called the Ganglion which acts as the game's main antagonistic force. I struggle to go into more detail cause that would take too many words I don't care to write, so instead, I will just link the Enemy (XCX) wiki page and from there you can take a look at the enemy categories

Some of the enemies you encounter are very big and very powerful and for the duration of the story you're gonna be avoiding engaging these until you unlock your mecha which has the durability to tank those harder hits (Though the cool thing about X is that it's completely broken and around endgame you'll be able to start making super powerful ground builds that can even kill those big guys)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the DLC thread made a game of the pros and cons of your character in terms of likelihood, here’s what I did for Elma, lmk what y’all think:
Rubs hands together you know I gotta do this

that’s right baby:

Elma

Pro:
  • Min Min proved that Spirits (at least base game ones) do not deconfirm.
  • content wise, DLC always comes with new music if it wasn’t introduced in base Ultimate (FFVII is an exception as pre-Sephiroth, the two tracks we had were brought over from 4). ARMS had no music in base before Min Min despite the Spring Man AT, costumes and spirits. Xenoblade 2 had music added in the base Ultimate, along with the Nia costume in base, Rex costume with pass 1, and spirits. All X has is spirits atm though - no costumes or music.
  • X is certainly a “new world” within the Xenoblade universe as 3H is to FE. If you wanna diversify the worlds represented, especially a more sci-fi side to Xenoblade, this is it
  • Another female character - and also, she’s technically the protagonist of X, not Cross. After all she appeared as a guest Blade in Xenoblade 2’s expansion pass and not Cross
  • We still dunno about Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project or Caitlin Glass’s NDA
  • Moveset potential
  • And just come on. Hiroyuki Sawano’s music in Smash would be incredibly badass

Iffy

• Many would argue the fact that Rex just barely missed the timing would open the doors for a XC2 rep. Doesn’t even HAVE to be Rex; it could be like Zeke or Lora from Torna
  • Making a move set that switches between twin swords and twin guns can be tricky but I think Sakurai can pull it off
  • X didn’t sell too well, primarily cause the Wii U didn’t sell too well. The game itself, however, was critically acclaimed

Con
  • In 2018, Monolith Soft said porting X would be difficult - to be more precise, insanely expensive. However since XCDE smashed sales expectations, that may be possible now.
  • As the previous point implied, X is confined to the Wii U... for now.
  • X isn’t as popular as 2 or DE atm
  • If her and KOS-MOS are mutually exclusive, Sakurai might choose KOS-MOS over her as both a Namco and Monolith rep. Not that I’m opposed to that, I’m not opposed in the slightest but still
I was also debating including the Sawano copyright thing but if they could get Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen in 2, it shouldn’t be an issue; in fact maybe that’s why Elma’s DLC in XC2: Sawano may have wanted a cut of the royalties?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So the DLC thread made a game of the pros and cons of your character in terms of likelihood, here’s what I did for Elma, lmk what y’all think:

I was also debating including the Sawano copyright thing but if they could get Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen in 2, it shouldn’t be an issue; in fact maybe that’s why Elma’s DLC in XC2: Sawano may have wanted a cut of the royalties?
Tbh Elmas inclusion in the DLC always felt a little bit like it was done at the last minute compared to Shulk and Fiora. Mostly because of the lack of voice acting in scenes that feature her (Rex and the gang not calling her by name during battle etc.). But who knows. Licencing is so confusing (hello Sqare Enix and N64 GoldenEye).

Btw 100% agree on your pros.

Oh and happy new year, everyone!

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Recently got a new TV and have since resumed the XCX playthrough I abandoned in its infancy due to not being able to read the text. On one hand, this might mean I get less out of the eventual port/remaster. On the other hand, if Elma somehow actually does join Ultimate this year, now I will be able to feel something besides mostly* apathy as I can confirm I'm really enjoying playing as her in X right now!

*Mostly, because believe you me, I would breathe a sigh of relief regardless just knowing the second Xenoblade rep doesn't push the narrative that XC1 is the only Xenoblade entry that matters.

I've wondered before if XC2's casual incorporation of XCX music may be because the original licensing included future Xenoblade games but nothing outside of that.

Top Bottom