• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The hype is getting uncontrollable! But the wind blows hard in September thanks to Hurricane Florence. But don't worry it's alright. So long as Elma is in, I'll make sure find the car key that I (haven't) lost so I can see it through.

...-cringe-
(I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, to be honest. It's better to be prepared for not-Elma until she actually happens.)

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Awesome, tomorrow is my first day off in over a week. I'll be right here to join the hype if our best-case-scenario plays out.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Who knows, most people were keeping expectations low for the smash direct and then we got 2 newcomers and 3 echoes. We could have a trailer at the beginning and one at the end. Sakurai could show up and show off some echoes and other details before going into a newcomer trailer, or it could just be a single trailer at the end. I'm keeping expectations low cause I really don't know what to expect.
My expectations are lower than for the Smash Direct since this is a general one with 3DS titles, Nintendo Online, and other things expected to be shown. I think we get 1 unique character reveal at the end. Echoes? No idea.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Awesome, tomorrow is my first day off in over a week. I'll be right here to join the hype if our best-case-scenario plays out.
I'm in the UK so it's on close to midnight on Thursday, but I have Friday off, so I can stay up and then have a lie-in!

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
So there it is, huh? We're finally getting that direct. On one hand im looking foward to it but it bothers me that again it will be in the middle of the night in germany and i have to get up about 5 hours later...well it's just this one time and it's a short friday anyway.

I hope we see some Xenoblade-Content, not just Smash (go Full Metal Jaguar) but in general like a Switch-Port for Xenoblade X.
Anyway lets hope for the best.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I like how the hype is really contained here while the general discussion keeps echoing Geno, Incineroar, Skull Kid, and Isabelle.
Not that I mind. I think it's good that the Elma hype is not as rampant to the point where people get annoyed.

It'd be really nifty if Elma's the one revealed because her game had online capabilities, Torna Expansion talk, Tatsu in the expansion for XB2, and possible XBX port announcement.

...Also, let me say that Tatsu's look in XB2 is oddly...delectable.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I like how the hype is really contained here while the general discussion keeps echoing Geno, Incineroar, Skull Kid, and Isabelle.
Not that I mind. I think it's good that the Elma hype is not as rampant to the point where people get annoyed.

It'd be really nifty if Elma's the one revealed because her game had online capabilities, Torna Expansion talk, Tatsu in the expansion for XB2, and possible XBX port announcement.

I didn't see much of Tatsu's look....he only had moments to live........

I really do hope an X announcement is made - I think it fills the gap between XC2 releasing Torna and the development of the next game, be it XCX2 or XC3. It keeps Xenoblade fresh, plus it brings back a gem from a dead console. And if that fits in with an Elma announcement, then I will be very happy.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I didn't see much of Tatsu's look....he only had moments to live........

I really do hope an X announcement is made - I think it fills the gap between XC2 releasing Torna and the development of the next game, be it XCX2 or XC3. It keeps Xenoblade fresh, plus it brings back a gem from a dead console. And if that fits in with an Elma announcement, then I will be very happy.
Not just you. All of us here.
Can I get the discord link I need to be ready to dance with all of you in the discord.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
My expectations are lower than for the Smash Direct since this is a general one with 3DS titles, Nintendo Online, and other things expected to be shown. I think we get 1 unique character reveal at the end. Echoes? No idea.
I think it's better to have expectations low for a better surprise but this game is their game of the year so they are not gonna communicate low on it but will always consider it as their major game, so 2 new comers + few echos is possible. But as you I keep my expectation low with the fact i'm used with how they have advertised Smash for during the wiiu era.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I think it's better to have expectations low for a better surprise but this game is their game of the year so they are not gonna communicate low on it but will always consider it as their major game, so 2 new comers + few echos is possible. But as you I keep my expectation low with the fact i'm used with how they have advertised Smash for during the wiiu era.
I definitely don't want to heighten my expectations too much, but I do think one thing we benefit from over the wii u era of Smash material is that we know all of the returning stuff - the only thing they can show is new, which means they have more time to cram content into these directs. Granted, I'm expecting one newcomer and 1-2 echoes, but depending on where they place Smash in the direct, I could see a newcomer in the Smash segment and 'one more thing' at the end.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I definitely don't want to heighten my expectations too much, but I do think one thing we benefit from over the wii u era of Smash material is that we know all of the returning stuff - the only thing they can show is new, which means they have more time to cram content into these directs. Granted, I'm expecting one newcomer and 1-2 echoes, but depending on where they place Smash in the direct, I could see a newcomer in the Smash segment and 'one more thing' at the end.
Plus we have a much smaller crunch time to reveal newcomers so there's no reason to drag out reveals like with smash 4. I can easily see two reveals happening this direct. I don't expect it, but if it happens I wont be suprised.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings

that's also I reason I would love for an Elma reveal for this direct. Most unexpected one of them all

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
that's also I reason I would love for an Elma reveal for this direct. Most unexpected one of them all
Yeah, that tread has became such a boring place, an unexpected reveal is what is needed tp shake it up a little. Heck, even something like Tapu Koko over Inceneroar would be fine I guess.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that tread has became such a boring place, an unexpected reveal is what is needed tp shake it up a little. Heck, even something like Tapu Koko over Inceneroar would be fine I guess.
They think everything will come from the ballot but this is so wrong imo and I think reality could hurt really strong.
What I've learned over the years with smash bros and sakurai anything can happen and nothing is locked.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Plus we have a much smaller crunch time to reveal newcomers so there's no reason to drag out reveals like with smash 4. I can easily see two reveals happening this direct. I don't expect it, but if it happens I wont be suprised.
I guess the real question is: How many total newcomers (non echoes) are there left to reveal? My realistic opinion is 3. And if that's right, I could see 1 revealed tomorrow, and 2 in the final smash direct.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I guess the real question is: How many total newcomers (non echoes) are there left to reveal? My realistic opinion is 3. And if that's right, I could see 1 revealed tomorrow, and 2 in the final smash direct.
I think the unique characters left are between 3 and 5. It really depends if they have something planned for October or not.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Elma, Dixie, and Banjo would be my dream result for three more newcomers!

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
XCX gets too much flack. It's nice that Takahashi feels like he can experiment with his game design and not produce the same game every time. Here's to hoping Torna's good and Elma joins smash!

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I think the unique characters left are between 3 and 5. It really depends if they have something planned for October or not.
I'm confident they'll have atleast one more Smash Direct in October or November. They're still hiding what looks to be a big single player mode and potential other things, which includes the online features that I assume they'll cover tomorrow.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
exactly this. Though we should also consider whether we will have not one but more reveal opportunities after this. Personally I don't think so, but that is still a factor to consider. I also think we have 3 unique newcomers left, however I don't think 4 newcomers is out of the question. I'd even wager to say 5 is possible (though highly unlikely). Either way if we have more than 3 newcomers then either there will have to be a seperate reveal sometime next month, three reveals in the hypothetical smash direct, or two in this direct.

I will say that this next direct (while not revealing the remaining roster number) will slightly help clue us into the remaining cast number.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think the minimum is 4, that gets us to a total of 8 which is a nice even number and matches melee's total. Maximum would be 6.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Three at minimum, and six at maximum, I'd say. This is assuming that we're getting a general or Smash Direct in October and November as well, and that each of those instances has one or two newcomers in it.

Anyway, to kill some time until tomorrow, how about a new topic of discussion?
. . .Alright, I really just want an excuse to show of this set of holofigures that I've never actually seen anyone talk about.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So, a random point I thought of that works in Elma (or Rex's) favor... Nintendo kinda owes Monolith Soft.

MS gave up a bunch of staff members to help produce BotW, a game that Nintendo was putting a lot of emphasis on with the Switch's release. Obviously, this was Nintendo noting their importance to the company, and as a reflection of this (or as a thank you), a MS rep might have gotten more priority within the company. This could have either helped Elma safely secure a spot or allowed Rex to be pushed early in the same way Greninja was.

Just a thought.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All BLADES report in! Good luck to you guys! Though KOS-MOS is my most wanted Monolith rep, I would certainly be happy for Elma.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, a random point I thought of that works in Elma (or Rex's) favor... Nintendo kinda owes Monolith Soft.

MS gave up a bunch of staff members to help produce BotW, a game that Nintendo was putting a lot of emphasis on with the Switch's release. Obviously, this was Nintendo noting their importance to the company, and as a reflection of this (or as a thank you), a MS rep might have gotten more priority within the company. This could have either helped Elma safely secure a spot or allowed Rex to be pushed early in the same way Greninja was.

Just a thought.
Not only that, but the bulk of the Monolith Soft staff members that were brought over to work on BotW all came from the XCX development team. Nintendo needed their expertise to create a living, breathing world for BotW, since they were able to accomplish so much for XCX since it was on a relatively-outdated console, and it was thanks to them that BotW was able to play so well with little-to-no lag time.

The remaining Monolith Soft members, from what I’ve heard, were left behind to work on XC2, who needed to hire a lot of young blood to work on the project since so many of their employees went to work on BotW.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I’m from the Isaac thread. Although she’s not my top choice I would love to see Elma playable! Hopefully one of our threads finally gets their character tomorrow. Good luck!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
It's too open-ended... Banjo, any Pokémon, Isabelle, Shadow, Tails, Slippy, Crash, or even a new Animal Crossing game... I wouldn't think much of it.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Was this in reference to Smash specifically? If not, most likely about the already rumored Animal Crossing mobile update and info on the Pokemon Let's Go games.

On the other hand, Vergeben said isabelle would be an echo and Incineroar is most likely the Pokemon rep for Smash. Very likely they could be revealed this direct. We'll see.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Imagine if Sakurai dropped a kinda-sorta-hint about Elma like he did with K Rool and the red eyes thing... (tho I'm aware it might not have been intentional)

"So the next Nintendo Direct is finally airing tomorrow and I'll be part of the presentation! If you notice any gray hairs on me during my part, those are from how hard I've been working on this game..."

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Imagine if Sakurai dropped a kinda-sorta-hint about Elma like he did with K Rool and the red eyes thing... (tho I'm aware it might not have been intentional)

"So the next Nintendo Direct is finally airing tomorrow and I'll be part of the presentation! If you notice any gray hairs on me during my part, those are from how hard I've been working on this game..."
Oh. My god. If this doesn't lead to Elma's reveal, I swear to god...

I mean, what's next? Is he going to hint at Buzzwole by saying his muscles are feeling heavy?

ZelDan

Smash Master

"The Smash commuinty seems to continmue to want more things, despite all that I've already given them. I know it's cliche, but this community sucks!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom