• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
So idk if you guys heard but you know how some people theorized that the mech toy was for a Custom Robo rep?

Turns out, the trademark for the Custom Robo IP has been canceled for two years now, meaning Nintendo no longer owns it and anyone else can come snap it up

Which sucks BIG TIME for CR/Ray Mk 01 fans, but I think it all but confirms the mech model is for Elma now
oh my god this is too sad :( the hopes of a Custom Robo reboot are oficially dead
but about Elma this bodes well!!!!

And about what ppl said in the last pages, I really did not realize we have zero Xenoblade content aside from Shulk and Gaur Plain, and zero Xenoblade blog posts, this is too suspicious

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Okay, so Nintendo Life recently interviewed with Tetsuya Takahashi regarding the future of the Xenoblade series and the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Is there any message you can give to fans that want to see a sequel?
Takahashi: At Monolith Soft we’re constantly thinking of new things we want to create, and that, of course, includes the Xenoblade series, but at present, we have no firm plans for continuing the series.
This makes me a bit sad because it means it's going to take a long while before we get to see a new Xenoblade game. I guess I shouldn't complain since we received 3 Xenoblade games within a span of three years. That's amazing. At the same time, I'm excited to check out their new IP.

I won't post the other quote since that could be a major spoiler for people who haven't played or are still playing XC2. However, I want to mention that it irks me that up until now, we STILL don't have any sense of proper closure to XCX's ending. Someone needs to ask Takahashi what his thoughts are on the ending of XCX.

Is anyone here a writer/editor for a reputable gaming site? Or do one of you know of anyone that could do an interview? It's time for a proper closure for the XCX fans.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
So idk if you guys heard but you know how some people theorized that the mech toy was for a Custom Robo rep?

Turns out, the trademark for the Custom Robo IP has been canceled for two years now, meaning Nintendo no longer owns it and anyone else can come snap it up

Which sucks BIG TIME for CR/Ray Mk 01 fans, but I think it all but confirms the mech model is for Elma now
I feel sorry for Custom Robo fans and I wanted to see the assist trophy return at least and now that seems to be off the table sadly. I'm trying to understand why they just did not renew the IP do to the many others they have the rights to that just sit in the Nintendo vault.
Let’s not forget that Bill Trinen said in that July interview, “...Cloud, Bayonetta, the Xenoblade characters...”

He was referring to a playable character context specifically, and while there are some NPC Xenoblade characters, it’s obvious he wasn’t referring to those

And I doubt he merely forgot Shulk’s name
I'm sure Bill was one of the few who knew everyone was here before E3 and do to Nintendo sending him to Japan often I'm sure he was told all of the plans for Ultimate and it really could have been a slip up or not

Okay, so Nintendo Life recently interviewed with Tetsuya Takahashi regarding the future of the Xenoblade series and the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

This makes me a bit sad because it means it's going to take a long while before we get to see a new Xenoblade game. I guess I shouldn't complain since we received 3 Xenoblade games within a span of three years. That's amazing. At the same time, I'm excited to check out their new IP.

I won't post the other quote since that could be a major spoiler for people who haven't played or are still playing XC2. However, I want to mention that it irks me that up until now, we STILL don't have any sense of proper closure to XCX's ending. Someone needs to ask Takahashi what his thoughts are on the ending of XCX.

Is anyone here a writer/editor for a reputable gaming site? Or do one of you know of anyone that could do an interview? It's time for a proper closure for the XCX fans.
Keep in mind he would not be able to give a true answer with how tight lipped Nintendo is about things and there focus seems to be on that new fantasy IP. If only they did not help out with so many Nintendo projects they might have been able to work on 2 new games at once.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Understandable since Monolith likely wants to move on to other things like that Fantasy IP they teased...

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for XCX2 to come out.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Understandable since Monolith likely wants to move on to other things like that Fantasy IP they teased...

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for XCX2 to come out.
Speaking of that new Fantasy IP, has Monolith Soft stated anymore about it besides the concept art and looking for employees?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

That answer is a little strange because the question kinda of asked about a sequel for XC2, so maybe it is unlikely that they will do a XC2-2. With that said they already said that they want to do XC3, XCX-2 and new things, so the desire is there, but nothing as started yet. But I'm sure the series isn't dead, and they are already working on a new IP.

Just wanted to respond to the run thing. It doesn't have to be the exact same gun. The inkling hold the run with two hands (one on trigger, the other holds the barrel). Elma uses SMGs which are held with one hand. Its more likely that it was for them than Elma. Also, if you are arguing the length is the issue, Elma's guns are still small compared to a rifle. I feel like this theory is trying to make Elma work for it rather than evidence of her inclusion.
The gun in the figure is too short for being held that way, and I also brought up that if he needed that kind of reference he could have simply bought a robot with a sniper rifle, since there are a lot.
And Elma's gun have that knife under it which in fact increase her guns' length, so their hitbox and possible animations. She wouldn't be able to spin her guns like Fox or Bayonetta do with theirs because it's too long, and since those models don't have to be 1:1 it makes sense to use them for Elma.
XCX_-_Elma.png

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
What if a non Incineroar unique as well?
Trust me when I say I'd love for Incineroar to not get in the game. Coming from a pokemon fan, I'm tired of pokemon's overwhelming representation in smash and I'm tired of the pokemon representation coming from speculation along the lines of "oh he's new" or "oh he would add a final evo grass starter" instead of focus being on characters that have either "stood the test of time popularity wise" or "has a real significance to the franchise as a whole"

but Incineroar speculation won't end until either the game comes out, he gets revealed, or he gets deconfirmed. And sadly enough once the game comes out and we're in the DLC stage of the game, most of the Incineroar supporters will stop caring about the character and move onto the "necessary" Gen VIII rep.

That and as ZelDan stated, a different unique character won't deconfirm the box theory. However two unique newcomers will. IDK, just as long as we get someone else other than just Ken and Incineroar. I mean them being the final reveals wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means, but man would they be hype killers. I mean I can't be the only one that noticed that no one cared about these two until after Vergeban pushed them, right?

Just wanted to respond to the run thing. It doesn't have to be the exact same gun. The inkling hold the run with two hands (one on trigger, the other holds the barrel). Elma uses SMGs which are held with one hand. Its more likely that it was for them than Elma. Also, if you are arguing the length is the issue, Elma's guns are still small compared to a rifle. I feel like this theory is trying to make Elma work for it rather than evidence of her inclusion.
That doesn't make much sense honestly. Firstly, I imagine you are talking about the Inkling sniper rifle which they hold with two hands. The gun used wouldn't make a good representation of it due to length effecting hand placement. It also seems wierd that Sakurai would make mention of purchasing one specific gun for the inkling that wouldn't even be significant part of the moveset. If we are talking about the splattershot instead we run into a different issue in the manner of optimization. There are gun models that go with most poseable models that are much closer to the splatter shots length. Considering Sakurai has worked with characters with small firearms prior, he should already have models of said length.

Now that's not saying you are wrong or that the gun equals Elma. It's just that when considering the gun's odd length and shape in relation to the most popular candidates for smash, Elma does make a lot of sense. At the very least I believe we can both agree that its not detracting evidence and that at very least it is a possibility. Thusly if we can agree on that much, then it does support her potential inclusion; even if by a small margin. Realistically speaking, there is no proof for any character's inclusion other than the character portrait on the smash website, but if we played by that logic smash speculation would be very dull.

Last edited:

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Nonno Umby Nonno Umby , Our lord and Savior !

And 186 supporters, that's big. Elma team has grown quite a bit these last months \0/

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Bill Trinen saying 'Xenoblade characters' probably had nothing to do with Elma. He was talking about the demo, claiming that newer players were gravitating towards characters like Cloud and the Xenoblade Characters, Shulk wasn't in the demo, so he probably meant to say Fire Emblem but slipped up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like he would have explicitly said Fire Emblem if that was the case though. Xenoblade has a vastly different aesthetic than Fire Emblem, it’s hard to confuse the two

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I feel like he would have explicitly said Fire Emblem if that was the case though. Xenoblade has a vastly different aesthetic than Fire Emblem, it’s hard to confuse the two
Exactly. He also brought Xenoblade when talking about newer characters because they appeal more to newcomer players, while veteran smasher are more into characters from Melee. And guess what, Marth and Roy are from Melee, so using Fire Emblem would have been a terrible example.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
I think he wanted to refer to the fire emblem characters from Awakening and Fates.
Let's be honest, today at least 70% of the fire emblem fanbase are from those two games if not more.
By xenoblade he was refering to those two fire emblem.
And he just made a mistake like everyone can
But that's just speculation here.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'd argue fire emblem characters have a broad appeal due to the fact that they have a variety of different characters from new and old games alike. Love it or hate it, four of the seven Fire Emblem characters are directed to fans of newer entries.

Still I do agree that it is hard to confuse the two. It would be like mistaking Kirby with Yoshi. They may be similar in some regards, but they are vastly different in aesthetic appeal. And I will also agree that Xenoblade's popularity is much more recent.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I don't know what he truly meant, but saying he might have meant Fire Emblem would be weird. You'd think Bill would know the difference between the 2, and Xenoblade is pretty hard to mix up with Fire Emblem.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Hello! Just let it be known that I will always be on Team Elma.

IMO, it's too strange that not much regarding Xenoblade has been shown yet. Hopefully she'll get in.
I agree with this, especially given the success of XC2 and the increased publicity it has over the previous games.
And given no reveals/blog posts coincided with updates/the release of Torna, it seems suspect that there has been nothing.

I don't know what he truly meant, but saying he might have meant Fire Emblem would be weird. You'd think Bill would know the difference between the 2, and Xenoblade is pretty hard to mix up with Fire Emblem.
Xenoblade and Fire Emblem sound the same, right? Shulk and Marth are basically the same thing........ :laugh:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There’s a very legit looking leak of Ken in the main thread (whom we already know is in thanks to Verg) and I’m kinda nervous. I really hope it doesn’t stop at him, Incineroar and the mystery SE rep

GolisoPower

Smash Master
There’s a very legit looking leak of Ken in the main thread (whom we already know is in thanks to Verg) and I’m kinda nervous. I really hope it doesn’t stop at him, Incineroar and the mystery SE rep
Actually saw that. Looks actually legit, but it could either be real or someone had too much time in their hands. Personally, I’m hoping Elma gets a Lucina/Robin-style reveal this October before a final Smash Direct in November with those three characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There’s a chance some big roster leaks may happen soon. Brace yourselves.

But at the same time please @ me if Elma’s in the full roster leak. PLEASE. I can’t take not knowing if she’s in or not anymore

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I'm not going to waste my energy and time on that Ken image. I don't care whether it's real or not. *shrugs*

Speaking of that new Fantasy IP, has Monolith Soft stated anymore about it besides the concept art and looking for employees?
There's this interview with Takahashi and the Persona series director.

He said that he wants to create a hardcore fantasy game, not "fake games with fake fantasy/sci-fi stuff" like his past games. He also pointed out the coincidence/irony of the Persona team wanting to create a similar kind of game that Monolith Soft is working on. It almost sounds like he was annoyed that they beat it to him by announcing their project first. I'm willing to bet that's why Monolith Soft announced they were working on a brand-new fantasy IP. Oddly though, he said that he actually hates Monolith Soft...?

There was also another interview where he said he wanted to create an extremely violent/mature game without having to worry about restrictions by Nintendo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
There’s a chance some big roster leaks may happen soon. Brace yourselves.
Why now if the game doesn’t release until December? Not to smear this or anything, but didn’t the whole base roster for Smash 4 leak a month before the game released for 3DS in Japan? I’d say we’ll get leaks in November at least.

There was also another interview where he said he wanted to create an extremely violent/mature game without having to worry about restrictions by Nintendo.
Maybe take inspiration from other games in terms of including mature themes within a limit? For example, Injustice 2 was a T-Rated game but pushes the very extent of that rating with two mentions of a certain kind of crime that I know of so far (One from Superman in the Story and the other from Red Hood in his ending. I’m sure you know what I mean), showing of actual wounds like Wonder Woman stabbing Harley Quinn or Deadshot sniping The Flash right in the leg. With that in mind, maybe Monolith Soft can try to push the extent of what Nintendo would allow in terms of mature themes?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So, this theory suggests that we'll get somewhere around 6-8 new characters, and if that's the case, then Elma's chances got a whole lot more likely
Counting echos 6-8 characters is a reasonable number.

Let's say up 4 unique newcomers and up to 4 echo fighters.

However, this theory as he mentioned in the video is assuming the blog stays consistent in it's patterns. And following patterns is something that we all know can be "dangerous" so to speak in Smash speculation.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
So, this theory suggests that we'll get somewhere around 6-8 new characters, and if that's the case, then Elma's chances got a whole lot more likely
If this is true, I could see our remaining newcomers being the following:
Echoes:
Ken
Shadow
Dixie
Black Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Geno
Elma
Isaac

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Echoes:
Ken
Shadow
Dixie
Black Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Geno
Elma
Isaac
Agree with this except for Dixie, she makes far more sense as an isabelle style semi-clone than a straight up echo imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda wish the Music Theory didn’t effectively lower Waddle Dee’s chances otherwise I’d put him in the uniques list and save Dixie for DLC as a unique, making it 5 uniques and 3 echoes

I have a feeling Chorus Kids might be base too if not BWD or Isaac

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
tbh I don't really care about that Ken image bc I'm 95% sure he's in the game anyway, regardless of its veracity

And I definitely think we have more than, assuming Verg is real, Incineroar, Ken and SE rep. Unless if the SE rep is someone like Lara Croft, out of all these Ken, an echo, is the one that sounds more appealing to the general public, and I really don't think they'd hold those less hyping reveals to the end

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I kinda wish the Music Theory didn’t effectively lower Waddle Dee’s chances otherwise I’d put him in the uniques list and save Dixie for DLC as a unique, making it 5 uniques and 3 echoes

I have a feeling Chorus Kids might be base too if not BWD or Isaac
I agree, although in hindsight I guess it makes sense, in 2015 Bandana Dee was less of a main character than now, had star allies come out earlier his chances would probably be higher. On the plus side though with star allies combined with his popularity he's got a great shot at DLC.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
But he misspoke, it was probably easier to just carry on, assuming he noticed at all. He can't have been talking about Xenoblade.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Echoes:
Ken
Shadow
Dixie
Black Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Geno
Elma
Isaac
I think Black Shadow doesn't make much sense as a character to include unless Sakurai is really that tone deaf to the fans requests by including Black Shadow and Ganondorf only barely decloning himself. Also as said above Dixie could be a Isabelle semi clone, though I kinda also think she could ba a Chrom style Echo by using a different up-B but otherwise staying the same outside of what the pistol shoots.

As for newcomers, I personally just don't think we'd get both Isaac and Geno in one swoop. I think that's way to much wish fulfillment, and while this game is supposedly about listening to the fans people overstate the hardcore Nintendo fans choices versus the more casual Nintendo fan choices. I think Bandana Dee is still likely for one of those slots.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
If the advertising and sakurai end with 2 "boring" characters for a lot of people , I don't want to see live reactions on youtube of the disapoitement of the lack of characters like "that's all?" especially after people had low expectation for the smash direct and after it they are now higher (that's logical).
A lot of people don't know how advertising works for the biggest game for nintendo of this year they could really reduce strongly the hype for the game if they end it badly.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Just wanna pop in to show my support 'cause Elma is super cool and I love her design <3
I hope there's some XCX music in Ultimate at least, 'cause that game has a pretty great soundtrack IMO. I'd be happy if she got in.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Echoes:
Ken
Shadow
Dixie
Black Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Geno
Elma
Isaac
This is pretty close to my own picks...

Echos:
Ken (mostly because of the Vergeben rumor)
Shadow (a lot of signs point to this)
Dixie (aside from a different Up B, she might can work as an Echo)
Toon Zelda (assuming Echos can be a different height than who they're echoing...)

Newcomers:
Incineroar (I'd rather have Decidueye, but again, Vergeben)
Geno (how can we not have him at this point?)
Elma (most likely new Xenoblade rep IMHO)
Bandana Dee (if Isabelle can get in, so can this little guy)

Issac's an honorable mention. I'm not into Golden Sun like others, but I know he's popular.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is pretty close to my own picks...

Echos:
Ken (mostly because of the Vergeben rumor)
Shadow (a lot of signs point to this)
Dixie (aside from a different Up B, she might can work as an Echo)
Toon Zelda (assuming Echos can be a different height than who they're echoing...)

Newcomers:
Incineroar (I'd rather have Decidueye, but again, Vergeben)
Geno (how can we not have him at this point?)
Elma (most likely new Xenoblade rep IMHO)
Bandana Dee (if Isabelle can get in, so can this little guy)

Issac's an honorable mention. I'm not into Golden Sun like others, but I know he's popular.
As for my picks:

Echoes:
Ken
Black Shadow
Celica or Zack Fair

Uniques:
Elma
Incineroar
Neku (from Square Enix’s The World Ends With You)
Chorus Kids
Waddle Dee if music theory doesn’t deconfirm him; if not then Isaac

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Toon Zelda (assuming Echos can be a different height than who they're echoing...).
Man of Culture.jpg

In all seriousness, your prediction there would basically be the most I could want out of the remaining roster, except for Funky instead of Dixie and someone like Shantae or Ayumi instead of Bandana Dee (though I'd be perfectly fine with him, too).

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
My picks for Smash (mostly wishlist not prediction, but I'm trying to be a bit realistic):

Echoes:
  • Ken
  • Black Shadow
  • Yarn Yoshi
  • Shadow
Newcomers:
  • Elma (I mean ofc)
  • Skull Kid
  • Geno
  • Dixie Kong (Isabelle-like treatment), if she'd actually be a echo, then a retro character like Mike Jones or Fighter Hayabusa
(as much it pains me to leave Captain Toad and Celica, I reckon they have a much better shot as DLC)

Last edited:
Top Bottom