• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if the secret track Hiroyuki Sawano was recording was Elma’s victory theme for Smash?

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
You can add me to the supporter list!

While at a base level, I prefer Rex, Pyra, and Mythra, I'd be way more excited to see Elma in the roster (since I think the others have DLC potential). XCX was a wonderful game with fantastic locales and music, so I'd love to see it represented through Elma and a stage (NLA? Primordia? Atop a Skell flying around Mira?). Using Elma in XC2 reminded me about how much I love XCX, so I really would love to see her appear in Smash, especially since XCX was arguably the most ambitious Wii U game and came out right around the time of the supposed Smash Ultimate project plan.

As a fighter, I'm sure I'd love using her- we don't have another dual wielding swordsman (unless you count Pit's bow), so sword and gunplay mixed together has a lot of potential for fun. Getting back to an earlier point, while I might like the XC2 crew more as characters, I think I'd enjoy playing as Elma more. Fingers crossed!

I do think that this upcoming Direct is do or die for XC2 with Torna coming out next week. If we don't get anything Xenoblade related, I think Elma's chances shoot way up, since it would be a prime time to spotlight XC2 with Rex and co.
I'm pretty much the same as you - I prefer Rex and Pyra/Mythra, but I think Elma is awesome too, and a character that represents a truly overlooked gem.
She would play radically different from both Shulk and Rex (or how I imagine Rex would play), since her play style is based around duel wielding swords and guns. I think her differences are even shown in XC2, given her unique overdrive ability to X. And the stage potential is unreal, although I have an awful feeling they wont add a new stage and just use Gaur Plains - as long as the X soundtrack is HEAVILY represented, I'd be okay with that.
For me, Rex is likely to be a DLC choice - he's a lot more popular and relevant than Elma, given that X was tainted by the death of the Wii U, so I think he's nailed for the game either way. But get Elma in there and have all 3 Xenoblade Protagonists together. I think the series is popular enough now to warrant that.

How's a port of X confirmed?
..I remember hearing about how the developers said they'd be interested in porting it, though.

If it's true, I can't wait to replay that game all over again.
I think it's only a matter of time until it's ported. I reckon they will release Golden Country and wrap up XC2, then I think they'll start plans and work on XC3, but in the meantime they'll have a team porting X. It was too good to be left with the Wii U, and given XC2's reception, it can only boost interest for X on the Switch. It'll be a day one pre-order for me.

What if the secret track Hiroyuki Sawano was recording was Elma’s victory theme for Smash?
I didn't realise there was a secret track in recording. I hope you're right, or I hope it's a remixed track specifically for Smash.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well fortunately for Elma, she is in a game that is likely to get a remake and sequel down the line. Honestly I'd love if instead of getting a remake from monolith soft, the remake was handed over and Monolith Soft starts working on XCX2. We could have a Bayonetta 1-2 situation in that case.

I just hope that the inevitable XCX2 is more character driven. Keep Elma, Lao and LIn sure, but I'd like the rest of the cast to be smaller and more closely knit to the story. Heck I'd even take XCX's take on story progression if they at the very least make every soldier unique in terms of their play style.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
well fortunately for Elma, she is in a game that is likely to get a remake and sequel down the line. Honestly I'd love if instead of getting a remake from monolith soft, the remake was handed over and Monolith Soft starts working on XCX2. We could have a Bayonetta 1-2 situation in that case.

I just hope that the inevitable XCX2 is more character driven. Keep Elma, Lao and LIn sure, but I'd like the rest of the cast to be smaller and more closely knit to the story. Heck I'd even take XCX's take on story progression if they at the very least make every soldier unique in terms of their play style.
Agreed 100%.

Also, and I realize this may be a unpopular opinion, but I hope Monolith makes Cross interact with the other characters with an actual voice, sort of like the main characters of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Surely they can do that and have online connectivity and whatnot, right?

Maybe I'm just dreaming though. Just having another game with Elma as the main character again would be awesome enough for sure.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Agreed 100%.

Also, and I realize this may be a unpopular opinion, but I hope Monolith makes Cross interact with the other characters with an actual voice, sort of like the main characters of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Surely they can do that and have online connectivity and whatnot, right?

Maybe I'm just dreaming though. Just having another game with Elma as the main character again would be awesome enough for sure.
How would you feel if Cross, or a new Avatar, weren't in the game, and instead you played as Elma?
One thing I prefer in XC2 compared to X (haven't played the first one) is that there were fewer party members, so it was easier to care about them. If I remember correctly, X had quite a lot of party members to choose from, a lot of which just looked like generic NLA soldiers.
I'd prefer fewer members and a tightly-knit group, based around Elma.

I would miss the rookie/commander dynamic that Elma provides to the Avatar, but could you still have that with Elma as the central character?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
How would you feel if Cross, or a new Avatar, weren't in the game, and instead you played as Elma?
One thing I prefer in XC2 compared to X (haven't played the first one) is that there were fewer party members, so it was easier to care about them. If I remember correctly, X had quite a lot of party members to choose from, a lot of which just looked like generic NLA soldiers.

I would miss the rookie/commander dynamic that Elma provides to the Avatar, but could you still have that with Elma as the central character?
I'd miss it tbh, being able to create your own character was a really fun aspect of X, I'd just like them to actually be voiced, there's dialogue options so why not just voice them too? Maybe even go deeper into that aspect and make it like mass effect or something where you can actually build relationships with the characters through dialogue choices. They should also definitely add more customization options, those were so lacking in the first game.

I don't want them to go completely story focused because the way X is designed is very distinct from the other games and I wouldn't want them to lose that, losing a few party members couldn't hurt though, there were way too many to the point that they all started to blend together, doesn't help that many shared the same class

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice

It would be an entirely different game, the story would need to be reworked, multiplayer would either be removed or reworked, divisions would either be reworked of removed, the way opinions of Rook change throughout the game wouldn't work because Elma is a hero from the get-go, customizability wouldn't be as substancial. I love XCX for being XCX. XC2 and XC1 are good for doing their own things.

I would really recommend XC1 to you, it's much more story focused, character stories are worked in to the main story instead of side missions, and it's a much more traditional adventure like XC2 is.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I'd really rather not have that. More focus on Elma would be nice, sure, but these things are just what makes X the way it is. The one way I feel it could improved was if the story missions (and some more of the side missions) put more emphasis on the core cast's dynamics and intereactions with each other, as well as by having Heart-to-Hearts like the original Xenoblade did. Those are honestly still the best Heart-to-Hearts in the entire series, if you ask me. The optional party members are fine, too, although they could also use a lot more individual interactions with each other, instead of just post-battle dialogue. Still, they're at least better off in terms of characterization than the Blades in 2, most of which were so incredibly one-note that it was impossible for me to care about them.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
personally I don't mind a mute protagonist as long as its identified that the protagonist actually is mute. I actually think that would work to direct the attention to the players actions given that is the only way said protagonist can speak. But I do think the protagonist should stay, I just don't want him/her made out to be someone awesome but rather someone average put in an awesome scenario.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If X is ported to Switch, I’d like if you could transfer your Cross to X2.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
If X is ported to Switch, I’d like if you could transfer your Cross to X2.
Probably not worth the development with so few copies and wii u's being active.

Lets bring our tyrant destroying characters into the tutorial, what a great idea. (just a joke problem)

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Which voices did you guys use for your Crosses?

I started with Carina Reeves, then started up a new file with Adam Howden's when I came back to the game after a hiatus. I loved Howden's performance, but the game just didn't feel right not using Reeves, so I jumped back into my old file when my new one caught up to it (Ch 7ish).

Danpal65

Smash Lord

I started with Carina Reeves, then started up a new file with Adam Howden's when I came back to the game after a hiatus. I loved Howden's performance, but the game just didn't feel right not using Reeves, so I jumped back into my old file when my new one caught up to it (Ch 7ish).
How could I not use Adam Howden? :p

aarchak

Smash Ace

I used Keith Silverstein for my 1st playthrough, then Yuri Lowenthal for my second one that I aborted. I've gone back to Keith for my current playthough. I just got my Skell, can't wait to destroy it after accidentally running into Hayreddin or Luciel.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

I didn't really know my Cross' VA until a few weeks ago when I got curious about it.

I chose Joker, since that fits me the most, his name is Ben Diskin

I also found out he voiced a lot of characters I love, like
Ban from The 7 Deadly SIns
Numbah 1 and 2 from KND
And some Fire Emblem characters. (Which seems to be a running theme with a lot of the Xenoblade X VAs. Lol)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I didn't really know my Cross' VA until a few weeks ago when I got curious about it.

I chose Joker, since that fits me the most, his name is Ben Diskin

I also found out he voiced a lot of characters I love, like
Ban from The 7 Deadly SIns
Numbah 1 and 2 from KND
And some Fire Emblem characters. (Which seems to be a running theme with a lot of the Xenoblade X VAs. Lol)
He also voiced Merkava in BlazBlue and Young Joseph in JoJo, too, I believe.

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

Dan Woren. I've got a thing for the whole "older guy who can still throw down" trope, which is usually what I build my created characters around. Woren's voice was perfect for that.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I wasn't paying attention to VA's but my Cross (female) had the, I think, Heroic voice?

I was later disappointed that her voice was only used during battle and not during actual dialogue...which made it almost pointless when it came to story...

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Dan Woren. I've got a thing for the whole "older guy who can still throw down" trope, which is usually what I build my created characters around. Woren's voice was perfect for that.
Yeah, I went with him too.

And since we are on the argument, I have to move a big criticism against X' avatar creation: while the deep it goes is great, I was (and still is) quite disapponted in the almost complete lack of facial hair options. I have a beard and a mustace, so being able to re-create an older version of myself (that's my personal archetype for this kind of games) in every aspect but that actually really let me down.

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I went with him too.

And since we are on the argument, I have to move a big criticism against X' avatar creation: while the deep it goes is great, I was (and still is) quite disapponted in the almost complete lack of facial hair options. I have a beard and a mustace, so being able to re-create an older version of myself in every aspect but that actually really let me down.
That's definitely something I'd like to see in a port/remaster, also I used independent female.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I'd miss it tbh, being able to create your own character was a really fun aspect of X, I'd just like them to actually be voiced, there's dialogue options so why not just voice them too? Maybe even go deeper into that aspect and make it like mass effect or something where you can actually build relationships with the characters through dialogue choices. They should also definitely add more customization options, those were so lacking in the first game.

I don't want them to go completely story focused because the way X is designed is very distinct from the other games and I wouldn't want them to lose that, losing a few party members couldn't hurt though, there were way too many to the point that they all started to blend together, doesn't help that many shared the same class
It would be an entirely different game, the story would need to be reworked, multiplayer would either be removed or reworked, divisions would either be reworked of removed, the way opinions of Rook change throughout the game wouldn't work because Elma is a hero from the get-go, customizability wouldn't be as substancial. I love XCX for being XCX. XC2 and XC1 are good for doing their own things.

I would really recommend XC1 to you, it's much more story focused, character stories are worked in to the main story instead of side missions, and it's a much more traditional adventure like XC2 is.
I'd really rather not have that. More focus on Elma would be nice, sure, but these things are just what makes X the way it is. The one way I feel it could improved was if the story missions (and some more of the side missions) put more emphasis on the core cast's dynamics and intereactions with each other, as well as by having Heart-to-Hearts like the original Xenoblade did. Those are honestly still the best Heart-to-Hearts in the entire series, if you ask me. The optional party members are fine, too, although they could also use a lot more individual interactions with each other, instead of just post-battle dialogue. Still, they're at least better off in terms of characterization than the Blades in 2, most of which were so incredibly one-note that it was impossible for me to care about them.
personally I don't mind a mute protagonist as long as its identified that the protagonist actually is mute. I actually think that would work to direct the attention to the players actions given that is the only way said protagonist can speak. But I do think the protagonist should stay, I just don't want him/her made out to be someone awesome but rather someone average put in an awesome scenario.
I pretty much agree with all of the above. I think a large amount of criticism against X was its story when compared to the more focused XC1, but given that we are treating them as separate series essentially, I do think that X benefits more from the customisation options that XC1 and XC2 perhaps lack? Again, I can't comment on XC1 because I haven't played it yet, but going from X to XC2 surprised me as to how simple the customisation with the Blades is - yes, you can go in-depth and make some overpowered builds, but X was ridiculously in-depth, to the point where it was sometimes intimidating. I think a sequel would need to refine that, or make it easier to follow, but needs to hold a good level of customisation to separate it from the others.

I did like the different blades in XC2, but my one criticism is that there were too many of them, and a lot of them have better building blocks to work with than others and are easier to overpower/break, meaning you barely use half your cast, which is a shame when it takes so much grinding to get them. I think if an X2 had a large cast, they would need to be unique in terms of their classes, or offer some type of heart-to-heart mission or sidequest similar to XC2. I like the idea of a more 'Commander Shepard' style protagonist, as long as he remains the rook, or second to Elma - her leadership qualities are what make her stand out as the real focus of X.

I think the ability to transfer your 'Cross' from X would be cool too, as long as you could choose from more customisation options for your character - it was fairly lacking. That being said, you would need an X port for Switch first before you could do that.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Finally, I've had a Smash dream! Its important to note that Elma is by far my most wanted and I get easily annoyed by Waluigi memes. The dream started with me going on the Smash website, and it had been newly updated. The front page had a picture of Gengar but he was actually just a new Pokeball Pokemon. There was a trailer though, in the trailer Uncontrollable started playing... then Genesect came out for some reason and he was the newcomer. I went on to the roster page, Genesect was there, but that's not all! There were like 30 other newcomers all there as well! The ones I can remember were a weird spiked ball with a face, and there were 3 versions of him, each face was a different character. There was also Waluigi, there was like 6 versions of him, one was him on a blimp, another on a robot, all different versions of Waluigi. I was baited.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Finally, I've had a Smash dream! Its important to note that Elma is by far my most wanted and I get easily annoyed by Waluigi memes. The dream started with me going on the Smash website, and it had been newly updated. The front page had a picture of Gengar but he was actually just a new Pokeball Pokemon. There was a trailer though, in the trailer Uncontrollable started playing... then Genesect came out for some reason and he was the newcomer. I went on to the roster page, Genesect was there, but that's not all! There were like 30 other newcomers all there as well! The ones I can remember were a weird spiked ball with a face, and there were 3 versions of him, each face was a different character. There was also Waluigi, there was like 6 versions of him, one was him on a blimp, another on a robot, all different versions of Waluigi. I was baited.
I don't know it that would be considered a dream or a nightmare. Wah.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Well, given the level of relevance that Elma's actions had to the story, I think they should go a step further and make it even more clear that she is the focus of the main story.

And yet, they should keep the avatar. The avatar is the star when it come to normal missions.

Now, how to do that? What I thought is:

Add full voice dub for the avatar during cutscenes, but decrease the amount of situations where he is given choices during the main story. I mean, most of the choices the avatar can do during the main story, have no bearing whatsoever, so just remove some of the most redundant ones. Keep only the ones where his/her choice can lead to at least some different cutscene, for instance, add one where he chose siding with Elma or Lin on you know what chapter, and make a different cutscene depending on the choice, even though the end result will still be a certain someone staying alive. So, most of the time, the avatar would speak a defined text, in situations when he/she is just making part of a dialogue, without given much of his/her opinion. Also, while the avatar should still be mandatory to story missions overall, there should be a instance where we play with Elma, without him, for instance, a brief time after chap 5 where the avatar would be in recover, because... you know why. This way, Elma will be the clear leading voice and protagonist of the story.

Now, outside of the story missions, that is, on the normal missions, and some of the affinity missions, it should remain as it is, however thanks to the avatar being voice, it would be more mass effect like. There, the avatar is the one leading the team he chose to assemble to help him/her in whatever task he needs. Just, in some of the affinity missions whose characters are very related with Elma, like Irina and Gwin, Elma would be the one in charge and she is the one that asked the avatar and the rest of the team to help out.

This way it would be more defined. A clear fixed main character for story missions and a clear mass effect style avatar for other BLADE missions. And the fact that the avatar is now fully voiced would remove that awkward feel of when he is in cutscenes.

BTW, rumors point at a direct on day 13th

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is the music track tonight or tomorrow night? I forget

I’ve been thinking, people are saying a X track would deconfirm Elma, but what if it’s a remix of the first game? Or (less likely) a 2 remix?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is the music track tonight or tomorrow night? I forget

I’ve been thinking, people are saying a X track would deconfirm Elma, but what if it’s a remix of the first game? Or (less likely) a 2 remix?
The music is going to be the next update, and while a X remix would look bad, any other Xenoblade remix wouldn't hurt her chances.
We should not forget that this music theory is just a pattern rather than a hard rule.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The music is going to be the next update, and while a X remix would look bad, any other Xenoblade remix wouldn't hurt her chances.
We should not forget that this music theory is just a pattern rather than a hard rule.
What if it’s a non-Xenoblade remix by Hiroyuki Sawano? I.e. something Star Fox?

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Agree, People need to calm down about the whole music thing. like for example because of the fortress boss theme last week Geno was deconfirmed by it to some people lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Huh, still no guest remix by Sawano...they’re going out of their way to post everything BUT Xenoblade tracks too

They’re totally saving the Sawano jams for her reveal

She’s in. I can taste it.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Huh, still no guest remix by Sawano...they’re going out of their way to post everything BUT Xenoblade tracks too

They’re totally saving the Sawano jams for her reveal

She’s in. I can taste it.
I'm actually starting to feel the same taste myself

When Simon and K rool reveal happen did we have to wait a week before Gang-Plank Galleon was posted?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm actually starting to feel the same taste myself

When Simon and K rool reveal happen did we have to wait a week before Gang-Plank Galleon was posted?
To be fair Intern-Kun(TM) accidentally named the Galaga track Bloody Tears/Monster Dance a day before the 8/8 direct, but that’s unlikely to happen again now that the videos are numbered

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
As much as I'm wanting new Xenoblade stuff in Smash, I'm really glad that we aren't getting any just yet. Once Elma gets revealed, Sakurai should just make the blog a dedicated Xenoblade shrine. I wouldn't complain.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
New music's been uploaded, but it ain't Sawano.

They sure are taking their time with Xenoblade content. It's almost like they're saving it for a special occasion...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It seems like they just skipped a week ahead to reveal different stuff. It's possible they had planned for XB music and delayed it to tie into the Direct. That or Rhythm Heaven music. Either one's good by me.

Top Bottom