• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elite Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGW

Smash Cadet
Around 2.5 or 2.6 with R.O.B. and no dice. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't forced to endure chaotic FFAs, team battles, awful timed matches, etc.

Like I don't mind that stuff, but if I'm trying to get into Elite with my main, I kinda want to not randomly lose a ton of GSP because of an awful ruleset.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Still nothing. I peaked at 2.7 mil with Bowser, 2.6 currently. My win rate is like 60% so that might be why.

I imagine Elite will still be full of Marth/Roy/Lucinas spamming SH Nair, mashing Side-B on whiff, roll behind to F-Smash, "I lost so I won't rematch" dweebs
It's not. It's mostly the same as regular quickplay. When I was in the best two players I ran into were playing Peach and Meta Knight. Also I got knocked out by someone who had their preferred rules set to one stock and it lagged like a nightmare. So it's the same amount of stupid.

Around 2.5 or 2.6 with R.O.B. and no dice. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't forced to endure chaotic FFAs, team battles, awful timed matches, etc.

Like I don't mind that stuff, but if I'm trying to get into Elite with my main, I kinda want to not randomly lose a ton of GSP because of an awful ruleset.
What are your preferred rules even? I never get these any more.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

I have never once gotten anything except a 1v1 in quickplay since they fixed the matchmaking. Sure, sometimes players have dumb time/stamina/1 stock/items/crazy-ass stages/etc settings, but I've never once gotten anything besides a 1v1. You must not have preferred rules set if you're still getting those battles.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
I think Sakurai should implement some kind of leaderboard, at least to see what players have the highest GSP, like they could make a daily, weekly or monthly learderboard, and also tell players what the needed GSP are for reaching Elite.
As the time passes they can implement several tiers of Elite, like for Basic Elite you need 2.8m, for Elite "Plus" you need 3.0m and so on, make more tiers as the game continues to get more players, and then after every month reset the GSP to a certain number.

If any of you guys/girls have played Clash Royale after Arena 10 IIRC, this is more or less what SuperCell does, basically after you reach 4,000 trophies your trophies reset every month to half what you got after 4,000 trophies, for example let's suppose you got to 4,800 trophies so when the month resets your trophies reset to 4,400 (half of the 800 trophies you got after 4,000)

Also there are tiers from 4,001 to 4,300, then 4,301 to 4,600 and so on.

So, what do you think of this idea? Do you think it would work?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You can't "reset" GSP to a certain number, because GSP isn't rating; it's ranking. By definition, GSP is just a reverse stack ranking of players, based on another, hidden rating value. You could periodically reset *rating* for players above the elite smash threshold, but just due to the way GSP works, the first person to win a match after the reset will skyrocket to the highest GSP possible.

Also, different tiers of elite smash wouldn't be a good idea, due to too small of a pool of players. It'd be purely aesthetic, where any tier of elite smash could play with each other, otherwise matchmaking would take too long.

Last edited:

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
Got King Dedede into Elite Smash with around 2.8m yesterday while burning off some steam and not really trying. Still haven't gotten anyone else there yet with the closest ones being Marth at around 2.6m, Villager at 2.68m, and Rosalina at 2.7m. I honestly don't care about GSP all that much anyway, but that's just my two cents so far.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
Gonna be writting this post as I play, hope I get to Elite again tonight.
Ness at 2,763,990 still not in Elite.. Yesterday I got in Elite at 2,750,000 IIRC..
Also got paired with someone at like 2,100,000 GSP... I',m Almost 2,75m and I get paired with someone with almost 600,000 less than me, is that common? Or maybe there's just not many people playing right now around my level around my area..
Just got to 2,800,668 and still not Elite.
Finally got Elite Smash with Ness again with 2,815,234 GSP.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I got Elite after winning just 5 straight games as Ganondorf tonight. My first time playing this character in quickplay and he's my highest GSP and current only character in Elite. Exploiting impatient people with this character online is mindlessly easy.

At this point I've played so many matches with Wolf that my GSP barely moves with each win or loss. I've been perpetually stuck in the 2.6-2.9-ish million range for days when I play continuously.

Also got paired with someone at like 2,100,000 GSP... I',m Almost 2,75m and I get paired with someone with almost 600,000 less than me, is that common? Or maybe there's just not many people playing right now around my level around my area..
I believe quickplay values distance and connection quality just before GSP. That was likely the person closest to your GSP, location, and preferred rules that happened to be matchmaking in quickplay at that moment.

I've gotten matched with people close to a million less than my GSP in the past.

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
GUYS! I FOUND OUT HOW GET GSP SIMPLE. century smash. period
Does it count for online?
And if yes, what's the point? You're going to get a high GSP and get matched again people who obtained their rank against actual other player, get bodied and go all the way back to the bottom.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I do have very high GSP in some of the single player modes and it makes no change in my online GSP. I think they exist as separate entities.

Master Spark

Smash Rookie
I've theorized that its the top 15% - first of all, that seems like a much more reasonable number than 3%... but basically I'm basing this off of my highest GSP, being my classic mode score of 2,053,600 which is currently giving me a GSP of 3,347,103. 85% of this puts the cutoff as of this post at 2,845,037 GSP which is - give or take - what you need right now to be in elite smash. As for my assumption that my score is a close enough representation of the highest GSP (or total number of players)? Well, the way I see it... everyone plays classic mode at least once, especially to unlock characters in this game. I also figure very few people care about their top score in classic mode and the score I set cant be reached unless you're really avid about it, imo. Finally, I have cleared Classic with about 40 characters and getting a pretty decent score on each (ending at 9.0 or higher for all of them, at least) and my total score with that many characters gets me a GSP that still falls short of my single run score. Just seems like a safe bet right now and it all checks out with what others are currently saying.

I'm not sure how ZeRo didn't go anywhere after winning some of his games 2 days ago, though. Going by that, I would believe its the top 3%, but that seems like a pretty small pool. Then again, competitive tournament level is realistically the top 1% if you're looking at the grand scale of things. I just don't think Sakurai's team would have made the threshold that tight, thats all.

Master Spark

Smash Rookie
yeah. why did it change my luigi's online score
GSP is the number of players that the game considers you superior to. So as more people get the game and go online for the first time, the more people that are gonna be ranked below and above you. Unless a bunch of players who used to be worse than you end up passing you, your GSP should always go up over time even if you dont play. But so does the highest possible GSP score, as well as the GSP score needed to enter elite smash.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I've theorized that its the top 15% - first of all, that seems like a much more reasonable number than 3%... but basically I'm basing this off of my highest GSP, being my classic mode score of 2,053,600 which is currently giving me a GSP of 3,347,103. 85% of this puts the cutoff as of this post at 2,845,037 GSP which is - give or take - what you need right now to be in elite smash.
Presumably many people don't even play online at all, some probably don't even have an online account (how many 8 year olds would get a paid subscription?). 3% sounds more likely than 15% to me.

Going by that, I would believe its the top 3%, but that seems like a pretty small pool. Then again, competitive tournament level is realistically the top 1% if you're looking at the grand scale of things. I just don't think Sakurai's team would have made the threshold that tight, thats all.
Top 3% isn't that small. If there are 5 million players then that's top 150k.

Does it count for online?
Nope, it's most likely separate.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Lost Mario is elite after about a month of not playing as him online. Got him back around 2.85m. That'll be good for about a week or so

NGW

Smash Cadet
It's not. It's mostly the same as regular quickplay. When I was in the best two players I ran into were playing Peach and Meta Knight. Also I got knocked out by someone who had their preferred rules set to one stock and it lagged like a nightmare. So it's the same amount of stupid.

What are your preferred rules even? I never get these any more.
I have never once gotten anything except a 1v1 in quickplay since they fixed the matchmaking. Sure, sometimes players have dumb time/stamina/1 stock/items/crazy-*** stages/etc settings, but I've never once gotten anything besides a 1v1. You must not have preferred rules set if you're still getting those battles.
Have my preferences at 1v1, 3 stock, 7 minutes, items off, can't for sure recall what my stage settings are, but I think Omega/BF online (again, could be wrong).

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
apparently you need over 3.0 mil now or something..cause my highest is Lucina with 2.7 mil but still no Elite Smash and i really wanna try it to see or i have the skill for it (probably not but you never know unless you try lol) with Roy i was around 2.6 but had a few bad matches with him so the GSP dropped a little but it's still over 2.0 mil haha

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
apparently you need over 3.0 mil now or something..cause my highest is Lucina with 2.7 mil but still no Elite Smash and i really wanna try it to see or i have the skill for it (probably not but you never know unless you try lol) with Roy i was around 2.6 but had a few bad matches with him so the GSP dropped a little but it's still over 2.0 mil haha
If you read the post directly before yours, you'd know the threshold is about 2.9 mil right now. The cap is a little over 3 mil.

If you're struggling to get above 2.7 mil right now, that places you around top 10%. ES is top 3-3.5%, so you'd definitely struggle even more there, but it's still something to strive for. Play to improve, not just to win, and you could get there.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm it's now 3mill or high 2.9 I keep falling in and out of elite smash. I am so angry because in Elite smash range it's basically the most disgusting camping you have ever seen in your life. Litterally lost 6 games I was up over two stocks. It's that REAL out here. I am being matched with people 3.5mill and all this BS. my win rate was around 65% now it's more like 58% I am so completely tilted. It's like if you want to know what it's like at elite mash place the computer to run away from you see how hard you have to chase then mix in higher level spacing and ledge guarding. I fell from 3.1mill that's like a slowly being R word. The tilt is so real because I was also 3mill a week or so ago and I was higher than Zero but I was afraid to play now I'm out here completely struggling to maintain elite smash. No one wants to lose I am now running into even cheaters. People out here lagging switching when you are a stock up. It's some competitive I don't think that match making is right. I will play people around 3mill to 3.5mill I wanted to prove to myself I was worthy of Elite smash all things considered I had not played this game competitively since melee. I played a few money matches with metaknight in brawl but left the tournament scene. When I was first playing this game. I played a new character not in melee so. I remember when I was around even 20k gsp Playing players so bad they could not even come back to the stage. I was crazy embarrassed. However after brushing the dust off learning some combos and understanding the character and my kill confirms I started to fly up. Climbing below 100k is insane because it's like the opposite extreme you have to be slaughtering people and a single loss can really set you back. Long story short I actually started from the bottom. So It's possible. The one thing I need to figure out is how to deal with the camp game that is so prevalent in this game.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I can confirm it's now 3mill or high 2.9 I keep falling in and out of elite smash. I am so angry because in Elite smash range it's basically the most disgusting camping you have ever seen in your life. Litterally lost 6 games I was up over two stocks. It's that REAL out here. I am being matched with people 3.5mill and all this BS. my win rate was around 65% now it's more like 58% I am so completely tilted. It's like if you want to know what it's like at elite mash place the computer to run away from you see how hard you have to chase then mix in higher level spacing and ledge guarding. I fell from 3.1mill that's like a slowly being R word. The tilt is so real because I was also 3mill a week or so ago and I was higher than Zero but I was afraid to play now I'm out here completely struggling to maintain elite smash. No one wants to lose I am now running into even cheaters. People out here lagging switching when you are a stock up. It's some competitive I don't think that match making is right. I will play people around 3mill to 3.5mill I wanted to prove to myself I was worthy of Elite smash all things considered I had not played this game competitively since melee. I played a few money matches with metaknight in brawl but left the tournament scene. When I was first playing this game. I played a new character not in melee so. I remember when I was around even 20k gsp Playing players so bad they could not even come back to the stage. I was crazy embarrassed. However after brushing the dust off learning some combos and understanding the character and my kill confirms I started to fly up. Climbing below 100k is insane because it's like the opposite extreme you have to be slaughtering people and a single loss can really set you back. Long story short I actually started from the bottom. So It's possible. The one thing I need to figure out is how to deal with the camp game that is so prevalent in this game.
1. Elite Smash is maybe something like 10% good players, 90% dumb junk. I've said it ad nauseam, I got knocked out of elite smash most recently by someone with their preferred rules at 1 stock, 3 minutes. It went to sudden death and I lost. I haven't seen elite since.
2. If you want to maintain Elite Smash status, you have to play for GSP, not for practice or for fun. Meaning you have to play a bit dirty or just generally be phenomenal with matchup fundamentals. Never rematch anyone you think could have a chance in hell at beating you. Only rematch those you beat into the dirt.
3. Don't set your preferred rules to Omega forms. FD helps zoners/campers, especially when there's some input lag. If they're just deliberately running and not fighting at all, well, clearly they have the mindset for obtaining elite smash and you, trying to play the game like a normal individual, do not.

Just saying, I stopped chasing it. Nintendo doesn't understand online matchmaking and the lengths people will go to just to get the W. I think that they forgot that it's possible to be bad sport. You can play better people using other online venues within the game.

kimohno

Smash Rookie
Got to 2,95 Mil with Dark Samus yesterday with a mix of fair 1v1 and weird item based 2v2s and a little abuse of input lag I guess in the latter case. But telling a projectile character not to spam is like telling a sword character to go hands to hands.

My prefered Online settings are edit: 2 Stock, 4 minutes, Items Off, Ultimate Smash ON. They are not busted anymore and it is a skill in itself to catch the ball plus its plain FUN. Also fast characters should be rewarded.

Last edited:

meowth_

Smash Cadet
Unlocked Samus elite smash at 2.978 mill. Surprised how many losers are playing with rules other than 3 stock 7 mins lol.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Unlocked Samus elite smash at 2.978 mill. Surprised how many losers are playing with rules other than 3 stock 7 mins lol.
that's kinda offensive to say don't you think? maybe other people find you a loser for choosing that ruleset instead? just let people do whatever they prefer, your prefered ruleset is not everything dude

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I think for people playing competitive, it should be the standart. 6 minutes doesn't bother me either but less than that, it shouldn't be a thing.
That being said, calling people losers because they are using other rulesets is stretching a bit too far. Keep in mind that the people ending up playing with your ruleset maybe didn't want that either.
It's not fun for people playing casual to end up in a competitive match and it's fun for people playing competitive to end up in a competitive match.

This is nobody's fault but Nintendo's. They need to do separate modes for casual and competitive and keep the specific rulesets for battle arena. And we need to stop telling people how they should be playing.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
agreed. I also personally don't want to wait 7 Minute on a lagger.
Laggers aren't going to make the game go to 7 minutes. Defensive play will. 3 stock/4 minutes will go to sudden death *way* too often if both players are anywhere near the same skill level, unless both of them just play balls-to-the-wall offensive.

Honestly, the fact that you even set such a short time limit tells me a lot about you. I've fought lots of people like you already, and anyone that sets short time limits tend to be blindly aggressive. You have no patience, so you lose to anyone that just throws out hitboxes in the path of your character.

Regarding your smash ball justification:
Also fast characters should be rewarded.
Fast characters are already rewarded by virtue of being *fast*. Fast characters are better at punishing than slow characters are, as they're more adept at both evading and getting back in with a hitbox. Being fast is in and of itself an advantage. It doesn't need to be made *more* of one.

Last edited:

meowth_

Smash Cadet
that's kinda offensive to say don't you think? maybe other people find you a loser for choosing that ruleset instead? just let people do whatever they prefer, your prefered ruleset is not everything dude

It’s not that big of a deal in the long run but it seems super petty. I should have clarified that The people running 2 stock For Glory style actually don’t really get under my skin. It’s players with 3 stock 5 minute rule sets trying to give themselves a leg up, an ‘innocent boo boo mistake’, when they run the timer and you suddenly remember, “oh yeah, 4 minutes ago when I started playing this Snake, I saw that it was a 5 minute timer”.

Or my favorite, when a player enables a non tourney map strictly to try to give their char an advantage. They leave items and smash balls off, they just rig it to look like a “whoops tee hee” mistake on their part.

I shouldn’t complain and make it a big deal, since it hasn’t really bothered me too darned much. But I know these players might end up reading this, and it feels great to just call them out on their little operation. Lol. I always imagine their hollow sense of victory when I lose a match like that. Must be weird to play like that.

But anyway, it sure as heck hasn’t stopped me from climbing GSP. The only thing that stops me from climbing are people who are better than me, and my failure to learn from my mistakes. And that’s how it should be!

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
-unlocks elite smash with ike
-first match is against a ness player who just runs and spams pk fire
-no longer in elite smash
-theory about all ness players being awful human beings without exception seems to be holding firm

Yeah, such a good mode. Real fun.

Also, apparently you cant play other characters in quickplay once you unlock elite? What sort of head-smashingly stupid idea is that?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Also, apparently you cant play other characters in quickplay once you unlock elite? What sort of head-smashingly stupid idea is that?
You can still play other characters. It's just that you won't be elite with them until you do reach high enough gsp.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
You can still play other characters. It's just that you won't be elite with them until you do reach high enough gsp.
I'm sitting at the mode select screen and there is no option to play normal quickplay; only elite smash, and only with ike.

EDIT: I unlocked it again, just for context.

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
I'm sitting at the mode select screen and there is no option to play normal quickplay; only elite smash, and only with ike.

EDIT: I unlocked it again, just for context.
Click on Elite smash, then select a character that is greyed out. You'll get a popup saying that character is not elite, but you can still queue.

kimohno

Smash Rookie
Laggers aren't going to make the game go to 7 minutes. Defensive play will. 3 stock/4 minutes will go to sudden death *way* too often if both players are anywhere near the same skill level, unless both of them just play balls-to-the-wall offensive.

Honestly, the fact that you even set such a short time limit tells me a lot about you. I've fought lots of people like you already, and anyone that sets short time limits tend to be blindly aggressive. You have no patience, so you lose to anyone that just throws out hitboxes in the path of your character.
So fun, how you make all the wrong statements about me. I play super slow Samus very reactive and defensive. And I play 2 Stock. Open your eyes buddy. I payed the game, I pay Online, I play how I want, not some douchebags.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
That feel when you try hard with Ridley and get into Elite after 2 weeks (got reckt just after) and manage to get into Elite in 10 minutes with Cloud just to try him out (well I guess he's top tier)

Telek

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I left a couple of characters pretty much just on the cusp of Elite because I expected at some point they would fall out and i'd have a pretty good idea of where the line is. My K. Rool passively fell out of elite smash at 2,999,451, and my Kirby is still in at 3,001,506. As of this time, the elite line is within that range. They were both in elite smash last night, and I haven't played a game with either since.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
So fun, how you make all the wrong statements about me. I play super slow Samus very reactive and defensive. And I play 2 Stock. Open your eyes buddy. I payed the game, I pay Online, I play how I want, not some douchebags.
TIL I'm supposed to assume someone meant 2 stock when they said 3.

My prefered Online settings are 3 Stock, 4 minutes, Items Off, Ultimate Smash ON. They are not busted anymore and it is a skill in itself to catch the ball plus its plain FUN. Also fast characters should be rewarded.
This is what you said, word for word.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
...But you said your preferred rules was 3 stock with 4 minutes. Not unless that was a typo but it's hard to imagine a defensive playstyle winning 3 stocks in 4 minutes unless you camp really. No hate or anything but you gotta see that the stock part came from your own words earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom