• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Electricity and swords

SirChachi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I main Pikachu and it is extremely frustrating when I attack a character equipped with a sword... And I take the damage and fly across the screen when my electric attack makes contact with a sword. My range is short and even shorter when sword equipped characters have a longer reach.
My issue is this. If my electric attack makes contact with a sword, then the electricity should deal damage.
For instance, just a bit ago I F-smashed and the tip of my electricity made contact with Marths sword and I went flying... Didn't make sense.
I know it's just a game but real world dynamics would be nice. I've taken soooooo many losses due to this problem. Hopefully Ultimate settled this.

Or am I just overthinking this situation?

Uffe

Smash Hero
This is something I brought up with my brother, also in hopes that it would happen in Ultimate. Ness sucks against sword characters, and when they're constantly jumping around and your aerials get out prioritized, it becomes really annoying. I would usually use PK Thunder against people who constantly jump, and for some characters, this works. Characters like Marth, Lucina, Ike, or Cloud, not so much. It would be nice if that was a mechanic. Maybe then the MU wouldn't feel so one sided. I think Pikachu has a better chance against swordies, though. I could be wrong because I don't main him, but he's got annoying speed and projectile.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This really makes a lot of sense! Am down for it to happen. I also think other energy forms of attacks should be able to clash with swords more often. They already got the range, and most swordies are faster than average. So I hope they can give some non-sword characters also some disjointed forms of attacks. The MOTHER Boys and Pokemon seem like prime candidates for this.

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
Eh... Swords... They have no hurtbox and their priority is so because their damage is so high. It's extremely rare to trade with a sword attack because of that extra reach. Brawlers typically are fast, have great combo damage, and great frame data, but have low range. However, swordies are typically average in speed with great reach and bad close combat fram data. Swordies are designed to benefit from good spacing. They are highly rewarded for zoning and keeping out other characters from getting in. If an opponent gets in they usually take a ton of damage. The poster boy for swordies being Marth with his tipper mechanic and tool kit to actually put on a lot of pressure with his sword approached.

Then there's the monster with his bad boy sword 乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚 . :4cloud2:
He is so fast, has great reach with kill power, amazing combos, and he even has fast close combat options.
And limit charge so that you can't just ignore him... and makes him move even faster...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, so I main Pikachu and it is extremely frustrating when I attack a character equipped with a sword... And I take the damage and fly across the screen when my electric attack makes contact with a sword. My range is short and even shorter when sword equipped characters have a longer reach.
My issue is this. If my electric attack makes contact with a sword, then the electricity should deal damage.
For instance, just a bit ago I F-smashed and the tip of my electricity made contact with Marths sword and I went flying... Didn't make sense.
I know it's just a game but real world dynamics would be nice. I've taken soooooo many losses due to this problem. Hopefully Ultimate settled this.

Or am I just overthinking this situation?
I always kind of rationizalized it as the hilt of the sword being insultated or rubber or something that prevents the electricity from transferring from metal to holder, which is why they have priority over Pikachu's attacks. The sword blade may get electrocuted, but if that electricity doesn't transfer from metal to the actual wielder, then it would make sense that no damage is taken.

For Cloud this would make extra sense; the dude has materia slots in his weapon that can specifically cause the sword to take on Fire, ice, Electric, or any other number of elemental properties without hurting cloud himself (plus his armor can do the same thing allowing him to Reduce, Null, or Absorb said element depending on the pairing of Materia).

Ah..sorry, kind of went off the rails there. Anyway, Sword taking priority over Electricity makes sense if the guard and hilt can act as some sort of insulator; coupled with the wielder's gloves which are likely some kind of leather & rubber composition which would further insulate them from electricity in addition to helping to absorb physical impact as they're intended to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom