• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

El Paso Thread

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This used to be the OP. But then Arturo snuck up behind me in my sleep and slit my throat so he could have control of the EP Thread. That jerk.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
no your not and theres actually a tournament this saturday at utep but the stages allowed are gay as hell

edit: not really the ones allowed but the final has to be FD only thats pretty much what bugs me the most

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Meh. FD isn't that bad, but I would still prefer the choice to choose multi-platformed stages.

Queen Zelda

Smash Cadet
Are any more tournaments going to be held in El Paso? There was one recemtly at gamecrazy but I missed it.:dizzy:

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
There is going to be one at the beginning of August. Its gonna be real. And I'm gonna win. All sick.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey V3rm, are you guys gonna come up to NM for our tournament?

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I want to. I also wanted to go to the last one you guys just had. But stupid work got in the way. I'm gonna see if I can get time off to go to your next one though. I don't know about any other EP players.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Skyler wants to get ahold of you guys just so you know. :p

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Uh, what? Who is Skyler and what does he want to get ahold of me for? He's not after my MacGuffin is he?
... Oh wait, my keen detective senses are telling me you're referring to the guy who started this thread. What they don't tell me is what he wants...

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Nah, at Major Players on the East Side. Thats where the realest tournaments in the city are.

Queen Zelda

Smash Cadet
Ah I see. I live in the Mission Valley area, so I had no idea that place existed. :lick: Do you think you could tell me how to get there?

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Where exactly are you? Mission Valley is a pretty big area, no? Do you know where the Zaragosa/George Dieter exit is on I-!0? You can always call the store to get directions (849-6800)... or use Googlemaps or something. The address is 1580 George Dieter, 79936. And its not until the beginning of August so you have plenty of time to find out where it is. I'm curious as to what place that SkylerOcon was talking about...

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
true. me and powder would prolly win it anyway.
so are you going to post a real thread giving out all the info? its august 2nd right?

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Nah. I'd beat both of you with a Level 1 computer. I'm so real. Yeah. I'll post something soon.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Bump-eth'd for info

I'm starting at FHS once school starts, and if I can find a club sponsor, I could get them to hold Brawl, Halo, and Rock Band Tournaments.

Can more than just me and the other Franklin Brawlers make it to tournaments? They would probably start around 10 or 11.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Bump-eth'd for info

I'm starting at FHS once school starts, and if I can find a club sponsor, I could get them to hold Brawl, Halo, and Rock Band Tournaments.

Can more than just me and the other Franklin Brawlers make it to tournaments? They would probably start around 10 or 11.
just make sure to let us know with time. You can count on me for both brawl and halo. brawl i could get like 5-6 people more that would go

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Official el paso thread now?

Even though I haven't posted in a while I actually went around and looked up places to host tournaments often in and If I found out there are very few. I never actually went to that one store near down town mainly because Its a card store than a video game one but I did check in recreation centers and libraries.

Both weren't all that great. The recreation center charges like 90 bucks an hour so even if I charged 10 bucks for the entry fee we would be left with like a 20$ prize pot. As for the library It doesn't want to charge money for the entry fee (you know with the whole get everything here for free thing) but she said that EB games has sponsored other tournaments before (she also said that other librarians are doing the same thing 0.0 when I mentioned brawl) I'm going to try and convince her to allow entry fees since the price will probably be like 50 bucks store credit.

Since I go to franklin as well I'll try and help skyler out too, But the andress tournament in feburary ended up taking all of the money and gave out prizes like 50$ store credit in game crazy and 4th got a hair drier.

Last thing is that I'm glad we got some new and old people posting again. This can help get the word around, I know like 20 people go to EB games across the street from franklin every day so once I get my tournament organized I can advertise there at least.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord

I was thinking about that too lol, but i dont think El Paso posts enough to have its own thread:(
I dont think the problem would be finding a place... i think finding people to actually go would be the problem. People hardly went to tha-fix doubles tourney. I am sure we can make a deal with that guy to not take out so much money from the pot. We need more and more people, if 60 people showed to major players, (i know there are more out there) then we should be able to get many more people. Utep could also help along the way, i dont think they charge. If we make big tourneys people from NM will start coming over as well.

Start posting more too people!!

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

I was thinking about that too lol, but i dont think El Paso posts enough to have its own thread:(
I dont think the problem would be finding a place... i think finding people to actually go would be the problem. People hardly went to tha-fix doubles tourney. I am sure we can make a deal with that guy to not take out so much money from the pot. We need more and more people, if 60 people showed to major players, (i know there are more out there) then we should be able to get many more people. Utep could also help along the way, i dont think they charge. If we make big tourneys people from NM will start coming over as well.

Start posting more too people!!
Don't count on NM.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I never looked into utep because I figured they would charge money. Seeing as they charged to go into the anime convention.

as for tha fix, well I didn't go to that because I had no partner but last time I talked to them it sounded like they start really early and the rules are announced that day so I didn't want to end up at a 3 minute items on high tournament.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Special visitor might come from austin around the 20th of sept. He is pretty **** good. hopefully there can be a tourney around that time or if not a little mini smashfest somewhere.
But please someone find some tourneys or i will retire and just play mario sluggers

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
its probably because someone came in and said nothing but curse words.

Well I have some good news and bad news. I ended up booking october 11th at the west side library auditorium and I have the room all day I think so we might be able to have multiple tourneys. singles, doubles, and some melee.

Bad news is that some guy told me that its hard to get EB games to sponsor small tournaments but if I get a no I'll just ask other stores. Maybe even non gaming stores like lewis paint and body. That guy used to be my baseball coach and one time he sponsored me to go to state in swimming. After all it can be used to cut your taxes down.

Edit: as for the guy coming the 20th maybe we can do something at my house or somebodies house if its going to be a mini smashfest.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
its probably because someone came in and said nothing but curse words.

Well I have some good news and bad news. I ended up booking october 11th at the west side library auditorium and I have the room all day I think so we might be able to have multiple tourneys. singles, doubles, and some melee.

Bad news is that some guy told me that its hard to get EB games to sponsor small tournaments but if I get a no I'll just ask other stores. Maybe even non gaming stores like lewis paint and body. That guy used to be my baseball coach and one time he sponsored me to go to state in swimming. After all it can be used to cut your taxes down.

Edit: as for the guy coming the 20th maybe we can do something at my house or somebodies house if its going to be a mini smashfest.
october sounds good, make sure to start telling lots of people as of now. We'll see about the 20th as well, he will let me know exactly when he will be here. (traveling almost all west U.S. lol)

Now the sponsoring stuff sounds good, but like for example what would they really offer?
If they want it big, it can be. We can do something like a southwest invitational or something. We can should start advertising a month before though. let us know what you can find out and how we can help

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I think I'm going to go around some stores this weekend getting info and trying to get them to sponsor at the same time. Don't remember if I asked this before but how long did the brawl tournament at major players actually last? Just to get an idea of how many tournaments we could get in and of what.

On another note I asked around at franklin and it seems like the hardest thing is finding a sponsor ( baby sitting teacher) for the video game tournaments. I really have no idea of who would be willing to do this though lol. He Mr. Martinez wana watch us play video games?

Also my wii actually broke like 2 weeks ago, sent it to get repaired the next day, got it back today, Still broken, really pissed off.

Top Bottom